Being Blind To Your Own Errors

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Aboo Ja’far Muhammad Ibn ‘Alee said:

“It is a sufficient portion of defect for a person to clearly see from the people [of mistakes and shortcomings] that which he is blind of from his own self.”
[Al-Hilyah, 3/188]

‘Abdullaah Ibn Muhammad Ibn Manaazil said:

“The believer seeks excuses for his brothers, and the hypocrite seeks the mistakes for his brothers.”
[Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197]

Bakr Ibn ‘Abdillaah Al-Muzanee said:

“Treat your brothers well despite the shortcomings that they have, just as you like for them to treat you [well] despite the shortcomings that you have. Everyone that you see making a mistake or mishap should not fall from your sight, for surely you are most deserving of this yourself.”
[At-Taubeekh of Abu Ash-Shaykh, p.54]

As some of the salaf (the Muslims from the first three generations) used to say:

“One of you knows all his own faults and mistakes and he still likes himself, prefers himself (over others) yet he dislikes his Muslim brother on account of suspicion. So where then is the ‘Aql, (intellect, sanity)?”​

Hatty

“The believer seeks excuses for his brothers, and the hypocrite seeks the mistakes for his brothers.”
[Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197]

Based on the above definition, I think the majority of people are hypocrites....what do you think?

esperanza

revert of many years

[Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197]

Based on the above definition, I think the majority of people are hypocrites....what do you think?

well sadly yes there are an increasing number of people like this

Tomtom

Banned
I am the biggest hypocrite.
May Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala forgive me and wash away my sins and guide me to the Straight Path. Ameen.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We need to be gentle with ourselves at times. When we can forgive ourselves at times we can forgive others.

We all have episodes of being hypocrites. It is in us and it yet another area in life to seek improvement.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous

[Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197]

Also, I don't know if MAJORITY OF PEOPLE are hypocrites. Do you mean muslims or the human race? Honestly sometimes its hard to ignore someone mistakes but as long as you don't use it as a means to put yourself above them then its nothing wrong with knowing that a person made some mistakes.

I'll give example, if you see a person struggling with their salaat, maybe reciting Al Fatiaha incorrectly. I notice this person's mistake and I help them. I hope that doesn't make me hypocrite for noticing this person's mistake. MashAllaah.

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
^ As the salaf used to say:

if u see someone who preceded u in the religion then say ''he has more good deeds than me (due to his longer time of doing good deeds)'', and if u c someone who came after u in the religion, then say ''i have had more time and have committed more sins than this newcomer.''​

Idris16

[Ash-Shu'ab, 7/11197]

Could you please see the reference again. Is it really correct? It has five digit numbers.