South paw Muslims

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullah wa barakatu!

South paw is a slang term for people who are LEFT HANDED. I am left handed, I do everything except for working a mouse with my left hand.

Up until I reverted to Islam, I also ATE with my left hand. Now I have to go against what I've done all my life and eat with my right hand. This is possible, but sometimes I or someone else will catch me eating with my left hand, again.

It feels weird to do it at first, its like going again nature, LOL. But it is possible :) At first I was like........I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS! Haha, but you can insha allah.

I find it easier to eat with the 3 fingers of my right hand like the sunnah of prophet muhammad salalahu alayhi wa selam than use utensils. So unless I am out at a resturant, I do not use a fork or spoon :hearts:

Just sharing my experience. If you are left handed too, please comment about your experiences insha allah :SMILY259:

saifkhan

abd-Allah
South paw is a slang term for people who are LEFT HANDED. I am left handed, I do everything except for working a mouse with my left hand.

Up until I reverted to Islam, I also ATE with my left hand. Now I have to go against what I've done all my life and eat with my right hand. This is possible, but sometimes I or someone else will catch me eating with my left hand, again.

It feels weird to do it at first, its like going again nature, LOL. But it is possible :) At first I was like........I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS! Haha, but you can insha allah.

I find it easier to eat with the 3 fingers of my right hand like the sunnah of prophet muhammad salalahu alayhi wa selam than use utensils. So unless I am out at a resturant, I do not use a fork or spoon :hearts:

Just sharing my experience. If you are left handed too, please comment about your experiences insha allah :SMILY259:

as salam 'alaykum

nice to hear that. actually there is a saying my language,
"Humankind is the slave of habit" actually word to word translation means so
it actually means, however you'll train or push yourself, you will be adopting that.

I had a problem, like when doing something, like writing or typing, i used to drink with left hand, i was in hurry get off the left hand drinking, although it was a bad habit, and i suddenly discovered that i'm becoming lazy about that.

humduli Allah, i managed to get rid of it.

a good watch:

[yt]nmcQF9vug-Q&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL7ACA064110335341[/yt]

barakAllahu feekum
wassalam

inquizator

Salam Alykum.

Sister this is good that you shared that with all of us. There must be many south-paws who struggle with this dilemma, which you've obviously conquered and addressed very well, too. Al Hamd El Allah~!

xAllahKnowsBestx

Walaykum assalam warahmatullahi wabarakahtuh.

Loool, sis I'm a lefty as well! :D And I know what you mean about the eating part... I'm fine with using my fingers but when it comes to utensils, I reaaaally struggle with my right hand. Sometimes I have to get the food onto the spoon/fork with my left hand, then switch to my right hand and eat. Lol. :p But practice makes perfect, so keep practicing insha'Allaah. ;)

(Apparently Umar ibn al-Khattab (RA) was a lefty too? Or was he ambidextrous? Not sure.. :D)

inquizator

Wa Alykum Salam;

I've asked about the mandatory right hand usage and where the Prophet(pbum) came up with that and never got an answer. Was is just his way of eating, he was right handed, or to remind us to do the "Right" thing.
In English Right holds different meanings and wonder in Arabic if the word for the right hand at all represents "right thing to do" in translation?

The left handed people have a little Jihad going on with themselves.

Some times I think that I'm so busy trying to follow the Inside Sunna, that the outside / visible things get forgotten. Very difficult~! When I do forget, I think one of my Angels may have reminded me, or conscience, for we sure know when we're doing the wrong things.

esperanza

revert of many years
salam sister... imalways a leftie and must admit ,istill struggle after many years as a muslim...
istill use my left hand for most things ,including the computer mouse and for eating ,just like you using my hand to eat its fine wiht the left,but still find it hard to use utensils,espeially if eating soup for instance,
but ilive in a country where its normal to eat wiht our hands ,which helps

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Wa Alykum Salam;

I've asked about the mandatory right hand usage and where the Prophet(pbum) came up with that and never got an answer. Was is just his way of eating, he was right handed, or to remind us to do the "Right" thing.
In English Right holds different meanings and wonder in Arabic if the word for the right hand at all represents "right thing to do" in translation?

The left handed people have a little Jihad going on with themselves.

Some times I think that I'm so busy trying to follow the Inside Sunna, that the outside / visible things get forgotten. Very difficult~! When I do forget, I think one of my Angels may have reminded me, or conscience, for we sure know when we're doing the wrong things.

Book 023, Number 5008:
Ibn 'Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When any one of you intends to eat (meal), he should eat with his right hand. and when he (intends) to drink he should drink with his right hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.

Tomtom

Banned
Nice thread sis, it's amazing how people are inclined to the 'left' from birth. Hmmm I wonder what the reason for that is.......

Hatty

I think it is possible to train ourselves to eat with the right hand....

I am right-handed, but I had an operation on my right hand and it took few months to heal and go back to normal. During that time I was forced to use my left hand. After a while, I was able to eat, write and do many things with my left hand. I did not reach the same level as my right hand, but I managed quite well....

So I think for those who want to train their right hand new skills, it is a good challenge and I think you have something exciting to do....

I would say enjoy your new found challenge.....and report to me in 3-4 months.....

Salaam....

Tomtom

Banned
I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Sorry no offence to any left handed folks.

Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "When any human being is born. Satan touches him at both sides of the body with his two fingers, except Jesus, the son of Mary, whom Satan tried to touch but failed, for he touched the placenta-cover instead."
English reference: Vol. 4, Book 54, Hadith 506
Arabic reference: Book 59, Hadith 3322

Hatty

I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Sorry no offence to any left handed folks.

Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "When any human being is born. Satan touches him at both sides of the body with his two fingers, except Jesus, the son of Mary, whom Satan tried to touch but failed, for he touched the placenta-cover instead."
English reference: Vol. 4, Book 54, Hadith 506
Arabic reference: Book 59, Hadith 3322

I do not see the connection between this Hadeeth and being left-handed. If there was a connection, then we would have been all left-handed. Since, according to the Hadeeth, we are all touched by the shaytan arrajeem.

Maybe it is only a habit, maybe there a scientific explanation - I do not know, I have not researched it...

And I am sure those who try their best to please Allah in following this Hadeeth will be rewarded in accordance with their intention and and effort. May Allah reward them...Ameen

Hilal Said

I do everything with my right hand except writing. It is sad and I hope I can write with my right hand soon.

:salam2:

lovefordeen

Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullah wa barakatu!

It feels weird to do it at first, its like going again nature, LOL. But it is possible At first I was like........I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS! Haha, but you can insha allah.

I find it easier to eat with the 3 fingers of my right hand like the sunnah of prophet muhammad salalahu alayhi wa selam than use utensils. So unless I am out at a resturant, I do not use a fork or spoon

Just sharing my experience. If you are left handed too, please comment about your experiences insha allah
QUOTE]

wa'alikum assalaam wa rahamthulahi wa barakathuhu

i'm so happy for you my dear..masha'Allah

may Allah bless you for eating with your right hand and eating in the sunna way....ameen

dear sister,yes it's possible...i'm a left hander too and i have been eating with my right hand since i remember...i thank Allah and my mother for that...she trained me to eat with my right hand at a very early age...i do remember holding the spoon with the left sometimes though... but alhamdulilah,i corrected that and i'm able to use a spoon and fork with ease with my right hand too...

it seems i used to write with my left hand,but my teacher(i'm not sure about my mom) made me write with my right hand when i joined school..and i used to win prizes for handwriting in school alhamdulilah.now i find it a little difficult to write with my left hand alhamdulilah...

i still use my left hand for cutting, and for many other things which i was not trained to do by right hand as my natural inclination is towards using the left hand...

it's easy to use right hand even if you are a lefty in sha Allah,we just need to practice in sha Allah

it's important that parents teach their children who are left handers to use their right hand for eating,drinking etc at an early age..

sister alf,i'm happy that you mastered using three fingers for eating masha'Allah...i try it only sometimes...i'd love to do that too in sha Allah..