Avoiding the Satanic ‘Intellect’

Idris16

This was a piece of advice from Hamad bin ‘Atiq an-Najdi to Muslims in general, written around two hundred years ago. It finds itself very relevant today.

“…And it should be known that intellect (‘aql) is of three types:
  • Natural intellect
  • Faith-based intellect obtained from the Prophetic light
  • Satanic, hypocritical ‘intellect’
And the possessors of this last type think they are something special, and this type of intellect is found among many people – most of them, in fact. It is the essence of ruin and the fruit of hypocrisy, as its possessors think that intellect is to please everyone and to not go against their interests and desires, as well as to gain their friendship (at the expense of speaking the truth). They say that the best thing for you is to just be part of the people and don’t cause them to hate you.

This is the corruption and ruin of the soul, and this is due to four things:

The first is that the one who does this has gained the pleasure of people by angering Allah, and the people are more important in his eyes than Allah. Whoever gains the pleasure of people by angering Allah will end up with the anger of both the people and Allah. It was narrated that Allah Said: When I am angered, My Curse reaches the seventh generation of descendants.”

So, if the one who is able to enjoin the good and prevent the bad abandons doing so, he will bring about Allah’s Curse that will reach the seventh generation of his progeny, and this is proven by the verse: {The disbelievers from the Children of Isra’il were cursed by the tongue of Dawud and ‘Isa bin Maryam. This is because they were rebellious and would transgress…”} [al-Ma'idah; 78]

So, it is clear that this compromising person has ruined himself through what he thought would help him.

Second, it is inevitable that Allah will open a door of humiliation and disgrace for the one who compromises from where he sought honor. And some of the Salaf said: “Whoever leaves off enjoining good and preventing evil out of his fear of people, the respect and obedience people had for him will be removed.” So, if he orders his son or servant to do something for him, they will belittle his status. Just like he belittled the rights of Allah, Allah will belittle and humiliate him: {“…they forgot Allah. So, He forgot them…”} [at-Tawbah; 67]

Third, if some sort of punishment is sent down, the one who compromises will be one of its targets, as in the verse: {And beware of a trial that won’t only afflict the wrongdoers among you…”} [al-Anfal; 25]

…And Ibn Abi ad-Dunya reported from Wahb bin Munabbih that he said: “When Dawud made a mistake, he said: “My Lord, Forgive me!” So, Allah Said: “I have Forgiven you and placed your sin on the Children of Isra’il.” Dawud asked: “Why, O Lord? How can this be when You are the Just who oppresses nobody? I fall into error and You place the sin on others?” He Said: “When you did this error, they didn’t criticize you for it.”

And Ibn Abi ad-Dunya reported that Allah revealed to Yusha’ bin Nun (Joshua): “I will destroy 40,000 of the best of your people and 60,000 of their worst.” He asked: “My Lord, I can understand the worst of them being destroyed. Why destroy the best of them?” He Said: “They didn’t become angry for My Anger, and they would give the worst ones food and drink.”

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr and others reported that Allah commanded one of the Angels to destroy a town. So, he asked: “My Lord, it has such and such a person who is a zahid who worships You constantly!” Allah Said: “Begin with him, and let me hear his voice. His face never once became red for My sake.”

So, the only way out when punishments descend is to be from those who enjoin the good and prevent the wrong, as Allah Said: {So, when they forgot what they were reminded of, We saved those who would forbid what was bad…”} [al-A'raf; 165]

Fourth, this compromising person who seeks the pleasure of people is worse than the adulterer, the thief, and the consumer of alcohol. Ibn al-Qayyim said:
The Religion is not just leaving off outer prohibitions. Rather, it is to fulfill what Allah Loves along with this. Most religious people today don’t do this except when it comes to things that the majority of people accept and agree with them in. As for Jihad, enjoining good and preventing evil, giving advice for the sake of Allah and His Messenger to His worshipers, giving aid and victory to Allah and His Messenger and Book and Religion – these obligations don’t even occur to them, let alone evoke a desire on their part to carry them out, let alone be carried them out by them!

The lowest of people in the Religion and the worst of them with Allah are those who abandon these obligations, even if he practices the most zuhd from everything in this world. It is rare to find from them one whose face becomes red for the sake of Allah, and who becomes angry due to His limits being violated, and who gives all he has to help his religion. Those who fall into major sins are better with Allah than these people.”
So, imagine that someone fasts all day, prays all night, abstains from all worldly pleasures, and despite this never becomes angry or has his face reddened for Allah’s sake and doesn’t enjoin good and prevent evil – such a man is the most hated of people to Allah and the least of them in religiousness, and those who fall into major sins are better with Allah than such a person.

And a trustworthy person told me that Shaykh al-Islam, the leader of the da’wah in Najd (Muhammad bin ‘Abd al-Wahhab), once said: “I saw some people sitting in the mosque with their Qur’ans, reciting and weeping. However, they didn’t enjoin the good if they saw it and they didn’t prevent evil if they saw it. I saw people sitting near them saying: “These are the source of benefit,” and I said: “These are the source of disgrace.” Someone heard me and said: “I can’t say they are a source of disgrace!” So, I replied to him: “They are blind and mute.”"

And this is supported by what some of the Salaf said: “The one who is silent about the truth is a silent devil, while the one who speaks falsehood is a speaking devil.”

So, if the one who compromises by remaining silent comes to know that he is from the most hated of people to Allah even if he thinks he is good, he would speak openly. And if the one who seeks the approval and pleasure of people came to know that by not speaking out against their evil that those who fall into major sins are better with Allah than him – even if he assumes himself to be religious – he would repent from his compromise and would retreat from it.

And if the one who is stingy with his tongue from openly proclaiming the command of Allah came to know that he is a silent devil even if he fasts, prays, and is a zahid, he would do all that he could to avoid being similar to Satan.

O Allah, I seek refuge with You from every action that angers the Merciful, and from every trait that makes us resemble Satan or compromise on our religion with the people of doubts, hypocrisy, and kufr.

And may peace and blessings be on Muhammad, his Household, and Companions.”

['ad-Durar as-Saniyyah'; 8/75-79]
http://iskandrani.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/avoiding-the-satanic-intellect/

Idris16

JazakAllahu Khayran for replying.

I want help. How can WE Muslims act upon this thread? I hope brother Thariq helps us or any other brother or sister. How should we give advice to those who make bid`ah. What about those who dont pray? Abandoning the prayer is kufr! and I know they don't pray because these people haven't been taught Tawheed. They have been taught a Cultural Version of Islaam.

Sadly, we find people claiming to know Tawheed and don't speak against Bid`ah.

So how do we enjoin the good and forbid the evil? How do we get angry for the sake of Allaah?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First we have to get angry at ourselves. We have to correct ourselves. We have to get serious that this is no game. There is no half-time show. This is it.

We forget the simple things that we are told to do. In the time of the Pious Predecessors the day started with a halakha. The recitation of suras help to protect us from the beginning of the day.

We have to eat with Muslims. It is such a simple act but the blessings it brings upon the individual protect us from arrogance.

And we all know we all need to make the masjid the focus of our community.

We have the answers..we just have to put them to practice.

YMYuke

I guess, we have to be desperate and know that it is a big big obligation on us as we can see from your post, also it isn't hard to tell someone to pray but the shaytan creates these barriers for these kind of talks (i.e. enjoining the good and forbiding evil) that make it seem hard or that make it uncomfortable. I really just try and put myself in the shoes of the person I'm talking to and think of what i would maybe take heed from.

YMYuke

Also When it comes to prayer and warning those 'muslims' who don't pray, they often forget or don't even know the benefit of Salah. They don't know how it protects them, purifies them, reminds them or refreshes them and brings them closer to allah (could go on and on). Really most who don't pray have never prayed properly as in they never actually prayed with their heart, they only prayed via physical actions, they didn't recite with meaning the quran they recite during prayer.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
JazakAllahu Khayran for replying.

I want help. How can WE Muslims act upon this thread? I hope brother Thariq helps us or any other brother or sister. How should we give advice to those who make bid`ah. What about those who dont pray? Abandoning the prayer is kufr! and I know they don't pray because these people haven't been taught Tawheed. They have been taught a Cultural Version of Islaam.

Sadly, we find people claiming to know Tawheed and don't speak against Bid`ah.

So how do we enjoin the good and forbid the evil? How do we get angry for the sake of Allaah?

You need to take into account a few things when you hold the opinion that leaving the prayer is disbelief:

1) We cannot really say that the person who leaves only 'one' salaah puts a person out of the fold of Islaam. Rather, the more correct opinion is that the one who regularly misses Salaah. So, a jumu`ah 'muslim' is in big trouble. The opinion held by Ibn Baaz rahimahullaah was a bit too harsh.

2) When it comes to applying the ruling, this is another issue and not as easy as passing on the ruling that a person is a kaafir (I know you are not doing this, but just informing you)- due to many reasons:

- The person maybe unaware that neglecting salaah is disbelief
- The proofs has to be established on him- for example: He is in a country where the adhaan is called out, or in a country where he is exposed to muslims etc.

I personally think that teaching people that neglecting Salaah is disbelief actually helps them start praying properly and guard their prayers- but obviously applying takfeer on them is another thing.

With regards to advising people against a certain bid`ah. We must firstly possess full knowledge that it is bid`ah. We need to see if there is a difference of opinion in that matter, and if the stronger opinion is that it is bid`ah but however it is an issue of ijtihaad- then we should advise people to stay away from it rather than telling them it is bid`ah... as some people really hate it when they are told that everything they do told is bid`ah. So, things have to be done with wisdom.

On that note, it is worthy to point out that when giving da`wah one should do so with knowledge and hikmah. One should know how to prioritize on the more important issues to give da`wah about than the smaller issues. I, personally, know brothers who try to advise their family to switch off the music in the T.V or something similar to that, when their family does not even pray! And then they complain about how their family does not accept their da`wah. If one is going to fire their family 'Haraam, Haraam' for every single thing then their family is not going to accept any of their advice and thus end up not even doing the most important thing (namely Salaah). As Imaam al-Bukhaari reported in his Saheeh, in the Book of Knowledge:

وَيُقَالُ الرَّبَّانِيُّ الَّذِي يُرَبِّي النَّاسَ بِصِغَارِ الْعِلْمِ قَبْلَ كِبَارِهِ
“And it is said that the good instructor is the one who starts teaching people simple matters of knowledge before more difficult ones.”

And finally, I would also like to point out- before we start giving other people da`wah... we need to give da`wah to our own families first. There is no point in us helping out da`wah organizations, when we cannot even sit down and give da`wah to our own families. This can only be achieved by good character, knowledge and wisdom... and most importantly by obeying our parents.

WAllaahu A`lam

strive-may-i

:salam2:

I would like to stress on one part. Some scholars have amazing rigor, and you hear their sermons or writings, it can make us very enthusiastic in our deen. They have right choice of words, well conditioned temper, that makes us sit up and take notice. But they are also very calm when someone who does wrong is before them...

You will find two scholars discussing very deeply without using one bad word, and it might look to us like they are arguing... They are angry, but do they lash out violently? No. A BIG DIFFERENCE

So these are subtle difference, most tend to forget. We have rigor in our anger, they have rigor in their calmness... Reflect on it

mohammadyunus

brother indris16 , what you have posted has opened my eyes and thank you very much. Jazak Allah Khair.

I am following it from RIGHT NOW.

To all members -

This post doesnt require discussion or debate.

This post compels action to do it.

SO START FOLLOWING THE ADVICE RIGHT NOW !!!!

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
SUBHANALLAH

Amazing...

Its a worthy article, for those who are seriously engaged with online Islamic forums/ social Islamic networks.

You find many analogies / intellectual questioners, which are driving you crazy and nuts in online forums.. (Not all but few)

May Allah Azzawajal protect this nation from the fitna..

Ershad

I personally think that teaching people that neglecting Salaah is disbelief actually helps them start praying properly and guard their prayers- but obviously applying takfeer on them is another thing.

With regards to advising people against a certain bid`ah. We must firstly possess full knowledge that it is bid`ah. We need to see if there is a difference of opinion in that matter, and if the stronger opinion is that it is bid`ah but however it is an issue of ijtihaad- then we should advise people to stay away from it rather than telling them it is bid`ah... as some people really hate it when they are told that everything they do told is bid`ah. So, things have to be done with wisdom.

On that note, it is worthy to point out that when giving da`wah one should do so with knowledge and hikmah. One should know how to prioritize on the more important issues to give da`wah about than the smaller issues. I, personally, know brothers who try to advise their family to switch off the music in the T.V or something similar to that, when their family does not even pray! And then they complain about how their family does not accept their da`wah. If one is going to fire their family 'Haraam, Haraam' for every single thing then their family is not going to accept any of their advice and thus end up not even doing the most important thing (namely Salaah). As Imaam al-Bukhaari reported in his Saheeh, in the Book of Knowledge:

وَيُقَالُ الرَّبَّانِيُّ الَّذِي يُرَبِّي النَّاسَ بِصِغَارِ الْعِلْمِ قَبْلَ كِبَارِهِ
“And it is said that the good instructor is the one who starts teaching people simple matters of knowledge before more difficult ones.”

And finally, I would also like to point out- before we start giving other people da`wah... we need to give da`wah to our own families first. There is no point in us helping out da`wah organizations, when we cannot even sit down and give da`wah to our own families. This can only be achieved by good character, knowledge and wisdom... and most importantly by obeying our parents.

WAllaahu A`lam

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

This is really good piece of advice. I, would want to highlight a few points that I realized too late. Salaah is a whole different thing. That is the first step. There are another group of muslims. Especially, muslims in a muslim family in a secular country. I am not sure if this is everywhere but I have realized it. There is little sense of seriousness with respect to "Islam". I was once one of them too. Now, the problem with this lethargy with respect to religion is someone falls into wrong activities and he sets a wrong example for other people. And people, like me, if we overlook their mistakes and not advice them and keep our religion to ourselves, it doesn't help. I had a brother, in my class, he prays with me, attends jummah with me. However, he was of the opinion "religion" is "religion" and it doesn't rule our life. I didn't argue because I had no knowledge to back my opinion. So, apart from salaah or attending Jummah, there was no difference between him and a non-muslim, with respect to lifestyle. He had a girlfriend, he cheated in exams, he ate non-veg in restaurants which was not halal and he used to say - all you have to do is say "bismillah" and eat. He used to hangout with other non-muslims etc. I used to help him with studies. He was a good friend of mine since he was the only muslim classmate. But, for the matter of deen. I never gave him advice or warning. Why? Because, I knew morally what he was doing was wrong. But, I didn't have islamic knowledge to back it up. I knew what was haram and halal and the duties a muslim should do and how he should behave etc. But, the wisdom of "why" he should be like that was zero. Moreover, I used to think why should I waste my time on someone else. Even, I used to run away from tableeghi jamaat people, when they knocked my door and let my dad deal with them. Why? Because, I was ashamed that I had no knowledge about the deen and what I would talk with them. I sometimes regret that I didn't advice my muslim brother.

Same applies to family. I think giving dawa'h to family, relatives and friends is more important than going out with the tableeghi jamaat people. The thing is Islam is only superficial in the families. This leads to lethargy. And with generations, this lethargy grows and there will be a generation, which starts questioning and stuff and becomes atheist. This might sound exaggeration but I have read in news of kids in pakistan becoming atheist though their parents are muslim. I wouldn't blame parents outrightly. But, I am just saying, if you are the one, who realizes the importance of Islam in daily life. If you are the one who has little knowledge atleast. If you are the only one who can advice your family on deen. Don't be shy. I know, relatives, family members starts getting annoyed when suddenly, their son or brother or nephew starts talking all "islamic" and "deen". They will tend to avoid you or avoid such topics. But, realize, remember, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala might have wished to get knowledge to them through you. So, this work will reward you too. Especially, give daw'ah to your mother and your women. If you teach a man, you just taught him. But, if you teach a woman, you teach a whole family and society.

I don't know if I could get my point across you. It looks bit messy. I couldn't arrange my thoughts. But, I thought it is something very important as I realized in my life.

May Allah Guide us all.

Wassalamu Alaikkum.

Idris16

Enjoining Good, Forbidding Evil

enjoingood.gif

Ibn Taymiyyah said: "This (enjoining good and forbidding evil) is a duty that the entire Ummah is obliged to fulfil. It is what the Ulama know as an obligation of collective responsibility, if a group in society undertook to discharge it, the other members of this society are absolved from it. The entire Ummah is commisioned to undertake it, but if a group therin was responsible for discharging it, the rest of society is no longer obliged to undertake it."

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I have read through this thread yesterday and came back today because felt the need to say something.

Brother Thariq and the others have given great and deep advices, Mashaa Allaah. Jazaakum Allaahu khayran katheeran.

Speaking about giving da'awah to your family. Well, yes, that should be the first and foremost thoughts one should have especially to those that Allaah have given blessings to understand and implement the deen in their life. It is a sad reality that Muslims: having Muslims names, living in a 'secular' Muslim country but yet Islaam is only by name. I am not painting everyone with the same picture because there are still pious and sincere people upholding the deen for the sake of Allaah, SubhanaAllaah.

One thing though, that perhaps we can reflect together is that there is always a reason why everything happened such as why we are the only person in our family struggling very hard to practice the deen to the fullest though at times we will feel weak, feel our imaan at a very low point and lonely especially when our *own* family members sort-of "tease": "Yeah, sure, Ustaadha/Ustaadh." Maybe Allaah The Most Wise has arranged that you were brought up in such family so that it is YOU who was assigned from the beginning to do da'awah to your family.

It is always that when we have been hit by a storm that then only we realized how a blessing it was to have a shelter. It is always that when we go through the constant struggle to convey the deen that we will feel the 'izzah of being a Muslim. A believer.

The story of Ummu Sulaym, as always, never failed to touch me especially the part when she was proposed by Abu Talhah but refused to accept until he converts to Islaam.

Among the great Muslim women who are known for their strength of character, lofty aspirations and far-sightedness in their choice of a husband is Umm Sulaym bint Milhan, who was one of the first Ansar women to embrace Islam. She was married to Malik ibn Nadar, and bore him a son, Anas. When she embraced Islam, her husband Malik was angry with her, and left her, but she persisted in her Islam. Shortly afterwards, she heard the news of his death, and she was still in the flower of her youth. She bore it all with the hope of reward, for the sake of Allah (SWT), and devoted herself to taking care of her ten-year-old son Anas. She took him to the Prophet (PBUH), so that he could serve him (and learn from him).

One of the best young men of Madinah, one of the best-looking, richest and strongest, came to seek her hand in marriage. This was Abu Talhah - before he became Muslim. Many of the young women of Yathrib liked him because of his wealth, strength and youthful good looks, and he thought that Umm Sulaym would joyfully rush to accept his offer. But to his astonishment, she told him, "O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship is just a tree that grew in the ground and was carved into shape by the slave of Banu so-and-so." He said, "Of course." She said, "Do you not feel ashamed to prostrate yourself to a piece of wood that grew in the ground and was carved by the slave of Banu so-and-so?" Abu Talhah was stubborn, and hinted to her of an expensive dowry and luxurious lifestyle, but she persisted in her point of view, and told him frankly: "O Abu Talhah, a man like you could not be turned away, but you are a disbelieving man, and I am a Muslim woman. It is not permitted for me to marry you, but if you were to embrace Islam, that would be my dowry (mahr), and I would ask you for nothing more."6

He returned the following day to try to tempt her with a larger dowry and more generous gift, but she stood firm, and her persistance and maturity only enhanced her beauty in his eyes. She said to him, "O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship was carved by the carpenter slave of so-and-so? If you were to set it alight, it would burn." Her words came as a shock to Abu Talhah, and he asked himself, Does the Lord burn? Then he uttered the words:

"Ashhadu an la ilaha ill-Allah wa ashhadu anna Muhammadan rasul-Allah."
Then Umm Sulaym said to her son Anas, with joy flooding her entire being, "O Anas, marry me to Abu Talhah." So Anas brought witnesses and the marriage was solemnized.

Abu Talhah was so happy that he was determined to put all his wealth at Umm Sulaym's disposal, but hers was the attitude of the selfless, proud, sincere believing woman. She told him, "O Abu Talhah, I married you for the sake of Allah (SWT), and I will not take any other dowry." She knew that when Abu Talhah embraced Islam, she did not only win herself a worthy husband, but she also earned a reward from Allah (SWT) that was better than owning red camels (the most highly-prized kind) in this world, as she had heard the Prophet (PBUH) say: "If Allah (SWT) were to guide one person to Islam through you, it is better for you than owning red camels."7

6. Reported by al-Nisa'i with a sahih isnad, 6/114, Kitab al-nikah, bab al-tazwij 'ala'l-Islam.

Excerpt from: The Ideal Muslimah.

A beautiful hadeeth mentioned in that story about the Blessings when a person is guided to Islaam through you (bi ithnillah):

Prophet Muhammad :saw2: said:

"If Allah (SWT) were to guide one person to Islam through you, it is better for you than owning red camels."
[Fath al-Bari, 7/476, Kitab al-maghazi, bab ghazwat Khaybar]

And also, this ayaat comes to mind:

"Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided."
[An-Nahl, 16:125]

Inshaa Allaah may Allaah give us the strengths to invite people to His deen especially the people closest to us with al-hikmah [الحكمة] wa al-maw3dhoh [الموعظه].

Was-salaam.

Idris16

How can we call it Da'wah? Da'wah is to call kuffar to Islam. Are our families kuffar? Allah knows best. We do Hisbah, enjoin the good and forbid the evil. But anyway, its hard to tell siblings about Islam when they have parents that are wild.

These fake imams that dont do their jobs, shouldnt be allowed to speak!! This thread is about Hisbah and not Da`wah. We have to expect Hisbah from the Imams.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
I understand that this thread is about enjoining the good and forbidding the evil. In doing so, it is actually called as a da'awah.

Da'awah is not only to call the non-believers to Islaam but also to call back those who are not practicing Islaam purely. Giving da'awah to our family members are one of the hardest but yet the one that we need to do first.

Allaahu a'alaam.

Tomtom

Banned
As'alaamu Alaikkum

The first is that the one who does this has gained the pleasure of people by angering Allah, and the people are more important in his eyes than Allah. Whoever gains the pleasure of people by angering Allah will end up with the anger of both the people and Allah. It was narrated that Allah Said: “When I am angered, My Curse reaches the seventh generation of descendants.”

Can you please provide reference where Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala has stated that which are in quotes?

So, if the one who is able to enjoin the good and prevent the bad abandons doing so, he will bring about Allah’s Curse that will reach the seventh generation of his progeny, and this is proven by the verse: {“The disbelievers from the Children of Isra’il were cursed by the tongue of Dawud and ‘Isa bin Maryam. This is because they were rebellious and would transgress…”} [al-Ma'idah; 78]

Wrong. It says people who were disobedient. See the following tasfir.

* تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
{ لُعِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِن بَنِيۤ إِسْرَائِيلَ عَلَىٰ لِسَانِ دَاوُودَ وَعِيسَى ٱبْنِ مَرْيَمَ ذٰلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوْا وَّكَانُواْ يَعْتَدُونَ }

Cursed were the disbelievers of the Children of Israel by the tongue of David, when he invoked God against them and they were transformed into apes — these were the people of Eilat — and by Jesus, son of Mary, when he invoked God against them and they were transformed into pigs — they were the ones [who ate] at the Table [cf. Q. 5:115, below] — that, cursing, was because of their disobedience and their transgression.

Second, it is inevitable that Allah will open a door of humiliation and disgrace for the one who compromises from where he sought honor. And some of the Salaf said: “Whoever leaves off enjoining good and preventing evil out of his fear of people, the respect and obedience people had for him will be removed.” So, if he orders his son or servant to do something for him, they will belittle his status. Just like he belittled the rights of Allah, Allah will belittle and humiliate him: {“…they forgot Allah. So, He forgot them…”} [at-Tawbah; 67]

Who are some of these salaf? Names and references please. And here is the ayat you quoted and what you did above is out of context. It helps to copy and paste the whole ayat.

Muhsin Khan
The hypocrites, men and women, are from one another, they enjoin (on the people) Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief and polytheism of all kinds and all that Islam has forbidden), and forbid (people) from Al-Ma'ruf (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and they close their hands [from giving (spending in Allah's Cause) alms, etc.]. They have forgotten Allah, so He has forgotten them. Verily, the hypocrites are the Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah).

Third, if some sort of punishment is sent down, the one who compromises will be one of its targets, as in the verse: {“And beware of a trial that won’t only afflict the wrongdoers among you…”} [al-Anfal; 25]

Again, wrong. Here is the full ayat which will put it in context.

Muhsin Khan
And fear the Fitnah (affliction and trial, etc.) which affects not in particular (only) those of you who do wrong (but it may afflict all the good and the bad people), and know that Allah is Severe in punishment.

And Ibn Abi ad-Dunya reported from Wahb bin Munabbih that he said: “When Dawud made a mistake, he said: “My Lord, Forgive me!” So, Allah Said: “I have Forgiven you and placed your sin on the Children of Isra’il.” Dawud asked: “Why, O Lord? How can this be when You are the Just who oppresses nobody? I fall into error and You place the sin on others?” He Said: “When you did this error, they didn’t criticize you for it.”“

And Ibn Abi ad-Dunya reported that Allah revealed to Yusha’ bin Nun (Joshua): “I will destroy 40,000 of the best of your people and 60,000 of their worst.” He asked: “My Lord, I can understand the worst of them being destroyed. Why destroy the best of them?” He Said: “They didn’t become angry for My Anger, and they would give the worst ones food and drink.”

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr and others reported that Allah commanded one of the Angels to destroy a town. So, he asked: “My Lord, it has such and such a person who is a zahid who worships You constantly!” Allah Said: “Begin with him, and let me hear his voice. His face never once became red for My sake.”

Again, can you please provide proof for all of these that you are implying?

So, imagine that someone fasts all day, prays all night, abstains from all worldly pleasures, and despite this never becomes angry or has his face reddened for Allah’s sake and doesn’t enjoin good and prevent evil – such a man is the most hated of people to Allah and the least of them in religiousness, and those who fall into major sins are better with Allah than such a person.

Wow! Such a bold statement to make!!

I'm sorry but I think this thread is full of inaccuracies and should be deleted.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamutalahi wa barakatuhu,

Brother Tomtom, you are writing your own commentary for Qur'an. I am not saying you are wrong or right. I am just suggesting you might as well check what the People of 'Ilm has to say about this. It will help you understand it better. Argument doesn't provide solutions.

Tomtom

Banned
Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamutalahi wa barakatuhu,

Brother Tomtom, you are writing your own commentary for Qur'an. I am not saying you are wrong or right. I am just suggesting you might as well check what the People of 'Ilm has to say about this. It will help you understand it better. Argument doesn't provide solutions.

Fine if you are happy with rubbish such as these then who am I to argue? What he has quoted are all without references and I get an irritating feeling about this post. Each to their own I suppose.