Yikes what did I do???

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I've befriended a brother at the masjid who took shahadah about two and a half months ago. One of the other brothers who I've known and respected for a while sent me a text message about two weeks ago asking if I knew anyone who was looking to rent a room, as his roommate has just recently moved out without much notice. I thought it was great timing, because just two days before the new brother also txt me asking if I knew of any brother who was renting a room, as his current landlady was having a problem with his embracing Islam. So I introduced the two and they hit it off. New brother moved in with other brother on Feb 1 (today).

That's when we realized our mistake.

"Old" brother (he's actually in his early 20s) apparently smokes, drinks, goes to the clubs, and has a live-in girlfriend who has a child (not his). I remember once he asked me to drive him to school; I commented that he smelled like an ashtray. His reply "Oh yeah my roommate smokes". No he didn't. His roommate was pious and followed the Qur'an and sunnah. The smoker was he himself. And now we know why the roommate moved out. Apparently he was so miserable he brought it up to the shaykh.

Now because of my recommendation this new brother who hasn't been Muslim for even 3 months is living with someone I referred him to, who told him (quoted from the new bro) "I smoke, drink, and go to clubs so don't look to me to be a role model". I feel so bad. I've known the other bro - the born Muslim - for three years, as long as I've been Muslim, and I never knew what was going on behind closed doors. I feel like confronting the born brother but the new brother said "PLEASE DON'T!". So now this bro has to be subjected to this other brother's behavior and live in a house with a brother who is committing zina.

I feel so bad!

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam,
1. The "new" brother should just move out now and explainly to the "old" brother clearly that he cannot stay with him because of his lifestyle.
2. The "new" brother should try to influence the "old" brother toward Islam.

Complicated situ because the "new" brother is new to Islam....
Note: advise "new" brother not to spread the word of the "old" brothers sins... he shouldnt reveal these to anyone, not even you.....

a_stranger

:salam2:

Brother I think it is your duty to rescue the new muslem brother, since he is new to Islam , he need a good example. Try to find a better place for him. I pray that Allah subhanahu wa taaala guide all people to follow the pure noble teachings of Islam.

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-

Brother I think it is your duty to rescue the new muslem brother, since he is new to Islam , he need a good example. Try to find a better place for him. I pray that Allah subhanahu wa taaala guide all people to follow the pure noble teachings of Islam.

AMEEN......

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Why can't he live with the live-in?

Isn't it funny the harder you try sometimes the wrose it gets? ( know the expression----- if you do and-----if you don't)

DanyalSAC

I've tried to be a good example to him, but I've only been Muslim 3 years and am still learning myself. I will try to find him another place to live.

a_stranger

May Allah subhanahu wa taaala help you and reward you for all the good you do. All of us ( including the born muslem) are trying to be good muslems. No one is safe till he , she step in Janna, but AlhamduliAllah we can feel the happiness of Janna now in our hearts when we obey our creator. :salah:

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Assalam alaikum, i'm sure everything will be ok and you shouldn't worry. What happened happened, but like others have said talk to the brother and explain to him that what he's doing is wrong, and why he shouldn't disrespect people like that. He can seriously influence someone very negatively like that, and guide people out of Islam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

It was not your fault. We learn from such experiences. I have heard worse tales in fact, from revert sisters..but, khayr. :)