salaam and hello

Noor to shine

Dear friend The most important lesson Islam teaches is how to be sincere to our creator : La Ellah Ella Allah ...No God but Allah
with regards

sheerheart1

:SMILY139: :salam2: .wr wb all
my names maryam i am from the uk i am a revert muslimah of 16 years ice 2 met u all may ALLAH sw.t guide u all always ameen :muslim_child:

Bluegazer

Hello mrsmcginty,

The Shahada [Testimony of Faith] is the most important element of Islam. It's the first of the Five Pillars of Islam, so you've got it right.

The first part of the Shahada is pronounced as follows:

Ash'hadu an laa ilaaha illa'llaah

Most translate it as "I bear witness that there is no god but God", but a better translation is "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except God."

Once you understand this, you understand the implications of this first part of the Shahada, which are that only God Almighty should be worshipped. Therefore, you should know which acts are considered "acts of worship" and be careful to direct these acts to God Almighty alone and to no one else.

An excellent book that deals with this matter of Monotheism in Islam is Bilal Philips' book "The Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism]". I highly recommend that you read it, since it contains an excellent explanation of this most important element of Islam.

The second part of the Shahada is pronounced as follows:

Ash'hadu anna Muhammadan rasullu'llaah

Which is translated as "I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of God"

Once you believe that Muhammad was truly sent as God's final Messenger, that means that you should love him, honour him, believe that what he predicted will happen and obey his commands.

But you have to be careful about what is attributed to be a saying of Muhammad [peace be upon him]. There are many fabricated and weak sayings that are presented as sayings of the Prophet [peace be upon him]. To stay away from them, you have to follow what the scholars of the science of hadith say about a certain saying. Only when they deem that saying as authentic can you then be confident that it was really a saying of Muhammad [peace be upon him].

A book which talks about the science of hadith is Bilal Philips' "Usool al-Hadeeth"

Regards,

Bluegazer

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Hiya.
I'm not currently a muslim although my boyfriend is one and due to this i am considering converting. I currently have no religion although i do belive in Allah which doesnt make much sense i know. The more i learn about Islam the more I have come to share the beliefs of Muslims.
I am slowly trying to adapt my lifestyle a little each week in order to become more Muslim like in my actions.
Any suggestions for changes that i can make that anyone has would be very much appreciated.
shukriya

:shake:

To revert or not. :)

mrsmcginty

can anyone tell me of any easy to to impliment ways for me to start making my lifestyle more muslimlike such as not eating pork or anything with animal gelatin in?
thanx

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
How Islamic is your wardrobe?

Start there and find out the names of reputable halal butchers and supermarkets that stock halal products in your area.

Booze is RIGHT out. Though I suspect you've already ticked that off the list.

Try to get in touch with sisters in your town. And ask them to show you the right way to pray (it's slightly different for women) and the right times.

Memorise Sura Al Fatihah (compulsory) and some of the shorter Suras for when you do your Salats. Remember, women do their salats at home. So you'll need to know those extra Suras in order to be able to perform them properly. Try to memorise 2 a day after you've memorised Al Fatihah. You can also memorise verses from the longer Suras.

Buy a headscarf (or three) and get used to wearing it. Don't worry about a veil for now (if you even intend wearing one), just concentrate on covering your hair. And remember to cover your bosom as well. So no headscarf with v neck sweater :p

zarqa

hi i am in a similar situation to you, i have only recently opened my heart and head into the true religion for myself, may i say it has taken me over 8 years to think this way. you need to do it for yourself firstly it has to be in your heart please dont rush cos you think it will make your boyfriend happy he will respect you more if you learn more and adapt your lifestyle as when you take your shahada there is no going back you will become a muslim and will have to commit your whole way of living to it.from your earlier post can i take it you havent stopped eating haram foods yet? these are the basic teachings so you need to be more knowledgable and think carefully about your actions. plese dont think i am trying to talk you out of this as i am not i just think as i understand your situation i can relate to your posts. this site has learnt me so much and i am wanting to learn as much as poss so then when i revert i will be living my life as best as i can.
I know where you are coming from as i had so many silly questions and important ones that i needed to know. the sisters club is great for asking about female personal questions if you havent gone on yet please check it out. just read up as much as you can and you will find it very informative and if i can help with anything i will. c ya.

mrsmcginty

thanks for the suggestions everyone. the halal food thing is a bit awkward as im at uni in a community of about 1000 people and there are no halal butchers or supermarkets that sell halal meat although that should be easier when i get home.
i've been trying to dress more conservatively and my boyfriend is heling me get a scarf to wear.
I'm definitely not doing this for him. i was initially just learning about islam so that i could understand him better but then it all started to make sense and everything became clearer to me. not very well explained i know.
Learning the suras is a good idea, thank you. i'll make that one of my plans from now on. I'm also trying to speak to as many muslims as possible but that is difficult in a town this small where there is no mosque.
thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated.

Amirah84

thanks guys never expected sucha huge response! i do have a question kind of a personal one i guess but id be really grateful if someone could answer it. i know from my boyfriend that all muslim men are expected to shave their pubic and underarm hair, is this the same for muslim women?
thanx again everyone :tti_sister:

Hello and welcome to the website. I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to ask us aything. I searched for an answer to your question and will paste it below. This is from Islamic Q&A website, http://www.islam-qa.com/ and another person asked a similair queation:

Question:
I am very thankful I have found this site to ask questions about Islam and know I am receiving authoritve answers! In question 2425 you quoted a passage: “Five things are part of the fitrah: circumcision, removing the pubic hair, trimming the moustache, cutting the nails, and plucking the armpit hair.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 5441) My question is : What is 'fitrah' ? I have never heard of this.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Tabari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his Tafseer: “Fitrah: the deen (way or religion) of Allaah.” Al-Tabari’s tafseer (commentary) of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “[Iblees said] ‘…and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.’” [al-Nisa’ 4:119]

Concerning the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), “So set your face steadily and truly to the Faith: (establish) Allaah’s handiwork according to the pattern (fitrah) on which He has made mankind: no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by Allaah: that is the standard Religion: but most among mankind understand not.” [al-Room 30:30 – Yusuf Ali’s translation], it was reported from some of the scholars of tafseer that the phrase the pattern (fitrah) on which He has made mankind means the design of Allaah according to which He has created mankind.

This word (fitrah) was also mentioned in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Five things are part of the fitrah: removing the pubic hair, circumcision, trimming the moustache, plucking the armpit hairs, and trimming the nails.” (Reported by al-jamaa’ah )

What is meant by these five things being part of the fitrah is that when they are done, this is in accordance with the natural pattern on which Allaah made mankind and urged them to follow, so that they will be better and more perfect… This is the ancient sunnah (way) which was followed by all the Prophets and which was enjoined by all the laws they brought. It is a natural and innate way. (Al-Shawkaani, Nayl al-Awtaar, Baab Sunan al-Fitrah).

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

I hope that is helpful to you mrsmcginty. I would sincerely advise you to open your heart towards the one religion that testifies that God Almighty is the only one worth of worship and that you question our excistence and purpose of life.
If you found a watch in a desert and I told you it had ended up there as a mere chance you wouldn't believe me. Or if you saw traces of foot steps on a clear beach and I told you that it just happened by chance you would never believe me. You'd tell me that someone walked on that path. But astonishingly people cn belive that tis earth, the stars, moon, planets and everyting that is between the heavens and the earth, the creation of human, animals in this galaxy not to mention the millions of other galaxies all came together by chance and that as human beings we don't have a purpose in life. How could one believe this? And who are these people to tell us to belive this? I invite you to question your existence and to open your heart to the faith of Islam, and to realise that when you did not have life God gave you life and sustencae and provided for you from this earth and made the stars and moon of service to you and the day and night of service to you. Will you not be thankful?

I leave you with these beautiful verses of Surah (chapter) Ibrahim (abraham):

14.32 Allah is He Who has created the heavens and the earth and sends down water (rain) from the sky, and thereby brought forth fruits as provision for you; and He has made the ships to be of service to you, that they may sail through the sea by His Command; and He has made rivers (also) to be of service to you.

14.33And He has made the sun and the moon, both constantly pursuing their courses, to be of service to you; and He has made the night and the day, to be of service to you.

14.34 And He gave you of all that you asked for, and if you count the Blessings of Allah, never will you be able to count them. Verily! Man is indeed an extreme wrong-doer, - a disbeliever (an extreme ingrate, denies Allah's Blessings by disbelief, and by worshipping others besides Allah, and by disobeying Allah and His Prophet Muhammad).

Dear mrsmcginty, I would advise you to pick up the quraan and read the words of your Lord and my Lord, The Lord of mankind.

One thing I would also advise you is to ask your boyfriend to be honest with you. Is it for him as a muslim allowed to have a girlfriend? Is he being honest with you? Is he placing you in the position that you deserve as a woman and honouring you? I don't mean to be personal nor rude dearest. Make ou search for the truth based on your judgement and heart, not due to our boyfriend. I wish you all success...please do stay with us on the website.

Take care,

Sister Amirah

p.s. I'm quite close to sussex i think...not very good with geography...now where's that map on google...

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
This word (fitrah) was also mentioned in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Five things are part of the fitrah: removing the pubic hair, circumcision, trimming the moustache, plucking the armpit hairs, and trimming the nails.” (Reported by al-jamaa’ah )

And, don't worry, only three of those five are fardh (compulsory) for women.

mrsmcginty

I'm not sure about an islamic society at the uni but i'll definitely find out.
you live quite near to me. London is about an hour away on the train from where i live.
Thanks for all this information, i was a little confused on the hair issue but now it makes sense.

mrsmcginty

oh yes i forgot to say. me and my boyfriend hav an "honesty policy" where we are completely honest with each other and the fact that we shouldnt really be a couple and the possibility of his parents forming an arranged marriage for him but we're willing to fight to be together.
Plus i'm not becoming a muslim for my boyfriend, i'm doing it for me. initially i was just learning so that i could understand his actions and beliefs but theyre slowly becoming my beliefs too the more i read.
tank you for all your help everyone. it is much appreciated.
mrsmcginty