LAYS CHIPS!!

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
ASLAMUALIKUM WAREHMATALLAHI WABARAKATUHU...

Okey, I have a question... I used to eat lays chips and loved them!! but somewhere (I don't know where) I read that it's haram.... So I stopped eating it ever since.... But, I just want to make sure.. is it true that Lays chips are haram??

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
Do you have any proof that they are not haram?? Cause whenever I see lays chips I really wanna eat them... But then I think that I would feel guilty afterwards.. knowing that I read they have "animal fat" in them lol...

complex_man

Do you have any proof that they are not haram?? Cause whenever I see lays chips I really wanna eat them... But then I think that I would feel guilty afterwards.. knowing that I read they have "animal fat" in them lol...

how do you know they are haram? likw on what basis you claim that they are haram?. i see nothing haram in them. u live in Pak???

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
how do you know they are haram? likw on what basis you claim that they are haram?. i see nothing haram in them. u live in Pak???

No, I live in US... I don't have any source for that... But, if you search it on internet it says it contains E631 which is haram animal fat... I don't know it's just confusing.. no exact answer... some say its haram some say it's halal... anyways, I guess am not gonna eat Lays chips for the rest of my life, even though I want to..

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

They are made with vegetable oil so how could they be haram? Remember, things are allowed unless there is real proof they are forbidden. I read the ingredients and there is nothing that is forbidden.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam,

Ooh all this talk about Lays has made me go buy a packet.. eating now....
100% fresh natural potato, vegetable palmolein oil, salt.
Made by Saudi Snack Food Co. Ltd (I live in the Middle East)....

Sister Pearl - I can send you some if you cant eat the ones there - im serious. PM me and Ill send you a carton :)

Aziboy

Banned
There is a halal certificates from Saudi Arabia regarding lays chips ingredient E631 that is alleged to be a PIG ingredient... Do ur own research and revert.

I find no problem is eating them so far

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Okay, first of all calm down everyone. It's dangerous to say what is halal and what is haram unless you have solid proof, so let's not go there unless you have some proof.

As far as the Lays chips in Saudi Arabia are concerned, they are all halal as long as manufactured in the KSA - unless they are imported from outside, then you have to check.

For chips in the US - that's a danger zone. There are certain types which contain beef enzyme, and certain type which contain pork enzyme. The information is all on their main webpage. If you go to the main FritoLay page, at the top there's a link "For Special Diets". And there you'll have a huge comprehensive list pertaining to what contains gluten, what does not contain pork, etc.

A while back I sent an email to Frito Lay asking which of their products contain animal derivatives. They replied saying the only stuff which doesn't have animal enzymes are things marked Kosher (Triangle K or Orthodox Union). So we go to their site and check out Kosher products.

This is the direct link: http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-certified-kosher-triangle-k.html

Only, and only those items listed there are halal in the US. Yes, sadly Flamin Hot Cheetos contain pork. Red Doritoes contain pork. Blue doritoes contain beef/chicken enzyme. Regular cheetos also contain chicken/beef enzyme. Most of their dips contain animal enzymes. The Tostitoes Salsa brand is also not halal.

Typically, the only halal lays chip flavours are plain salted, sour cream and onion, barbeque and a few others. At the store, just check if your packet has a K on it. I once found a certain Lays chips packet at the store with a "K" - even though the flavour is not listed in the site, so that means the company has started producing a few batches of other flavours keeping the Kosher requirement in mind.

If anyone wants to see a copy of the Email I received from FritoLay, I think I might still have it in my inbox, so let me know and I'll put it up for proof verification.

A silly piece of news - but the only place in the world where you can get Halal Flamin Hot Cheetos is in KSA. There are a few online hijab stores in the US which actually import and sell them online (I'm crazy, so I've once bought them online. I'm also crazy because when I went to KSA last October, regular people come back with prayer mats and prayer beads and wall hangings. And I came back with books and some packets of Halal cheetos and then me and my younger brother had a cheetos party at home. Great, now I've ruined my reputation.)

muslimah2012

sis i read an article too a few months back about certain chips not being hallal it depends if your in uk us or aus
since each country has different food guidlines and some places dont have to specify if they add animal flavours or ( natural flavouring) or not
they just say natural flavours
or no artificial flavouring
so you need to be really careful with this as it could be pig renet or beef stock
subhan Allah they really have made ingredients a secret
in all honesty the question isnt just about if they are hallal by their ingredients but if a muslim should consume something they know is so bad for their health since all these types of "food" is sooooo bad for your body subahn Allah
the amount of salt ,preservatives and all sorts they call ingredients by numbers these days
all of the kids behaviour issues and health problems coming out without a doubt is from the ingredients of the food parents give them
as muslims we should seek the best of foods for our body as its a trust from Allah and not over eat nor eat what is harmful to us
Allahu alem sis i know you probly think its jsut a little bag of chips ...but if you read about dietry and nutrition its not such a small thing ( im not saying diets as in losing weight but diets as in healthy eating )

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..

Okay, first of all calm down everyone. It's dangerous to say what is halal and what is haram unless you have solid proof, so let's not go there unless you have some proof.

As far as the Lays chips in Saudi Arabia are concerned, they are all halal as long as manufactured in the KSA - unless they are imported from outside, then you have to check.

For chips in the US - that's a danger zone. There are certain types which contain beef enzyme, and certain type which contain pork enzyme. The information is all on their main webpage. If you go to the main FritoLay page, at the top there's a link "For Special Diets". And there you'll have a huge comprehensive list pertaining to what contains gluten, what does not contain pork, etc.

A while back I sent an email to Frito Lay asking which of their products contain animal derivatives. They replied saying the only stuff which doesn't have animal enzymes are things marked Kosher (Triangle K or Orthodox Union). So we go to their site and check out Kosher products.

This is the direct link: http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-certified-kosher-triangle-k.html

Only, and only those items listed there are halal in the US. Yes, sadly Flamin Hot Cheetos contain pork. Red Doritoes contain pork. Blue doritoes contain beef/chicken enzyme. Regular cheetos also contain chicken/beef enzyme. Most of their dips contain animal enzymes. The Tostitoes Salsa brand is also not halal.

Typically, the only halal lays chip flavours are plain salted, sour cream and onion, barbeque and a few others. At the store, just check if your packet has a K on it. I once found a "Salt and Vinegar" packet at the store with a "K" - even though the flavour is not listed in the site, so that means the company has started producing a few batches of other flavours keeping the Kosher requirement in mind.

If anyone wants to see a copy of the Email I received from FritoLay, I think I might still have it in my inbox, so let me know and I'll put it up for proof verification.

A silly piece of news - but the only place in the world where you can get Halal Flamin Hot Cheetos is in KSA. There are a few online hijab stores in the US which actually import and sell them online (I'm crazy, so I've once bought them online. I'm also crazy because when I went to KSA last October, regular people come back with prayer mats and prayer beads and wall hangings. And I came back with books and some packets of Halal cheetos and then me and my younger brother had a cheetos party at home. Great, now I've ruined my reputation.)

Thanks for the info...
Haha! Sister - do not worry. There are people in this world who sadly understand your craziness! My mother quietly throws a BIG packet of flaming cheetos in the trolley everytime we go shopping (when im not looking!)
As mentioned, Im in the Middle East so the ones we get are halal.
My invitation to Sister Pearl is open to you too. Please do not hesitate to contact me, I will seriously send you a carton...

strive-may-i

Thanks for the info...
Haha! Sister - do not worry. There are people in this world who sadly understand your craziness! My mother quietly throws a BIG packet of flaming cheetos in the trolley everytime we go shopping (when im not looking!)
As mentioned, Im in the Middle East so the ones we get are halal.
My invitation to Sister Pearl is open to you too. Please do not hesitate to contact me, I will seriously send you a carton...
:wasalam:
A good intention and well outlined sketch, for a halaal business!

serena77

went to the website ... looks like funyuns and munchos are both kosher.... I may be the only person on the entire board that likes them but that makes me seriously happy.....
Inshallah everyone has a good rest of the week.
Serena