Where would you start and why

Where would you start?

• Total voters

Abdullah5576

Asalamulaykum warahmatullah wabarakatu dear respected brothers and sisters. Out of curiosity I was wondering whether people find it better to start memorizing the Quran from Baqara to Nas or Nas to Baqara. Juz 1 to Juz 30 or Juz 30 to Juz 1. Please tell me why you chose your method. Jazakallah Khair:)

The poll is referring to Nas to Baqara and vise versa because Fatiha is first surah we memorize :)

muslimshabs

Asalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatahu...

pattern of My Memorization:

1. Surah Fatiha (easy to memorize but also the most important one)
2. Surah Baqarah {some portion of it} (when I used to go to madrasah)
3. Juz 30 (in order to recite in salah)
4. Randomly the suras with greater importance... (Surah Yasin, the verse of Throne,... so on) :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I would say starting from the back of Juz 30, as all of those small surahs are really short and easily memorized. It would be a very daunting task if someone straight off starts memorizing Surah Baqarah.

daud

goodly tree
Start from the back or at least 2 juzz and then go to other side (surah baqrah). I find this easier.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Shaykh UbaydAllah al Afghani, is one of the great Quran scholars of our times. He has Isnaads to the Prophet Muhammad (s), is a teacher in Masjid al Nabawi, an Imam of Masjid Abu Bakr (a small historic mosque right next to Masjid al nabawi), and a professor at Imam Saud university.

This is how he teaches:

1. at-t3awwuth - That is when you seek refuge in Allah from the Shaitan. (auzubillahi minash-shaitan nir-rajim)

2. Basmallah.

3. Surah Fatihah.

These top 3 he was very very strict with, especially Surah Fatihah, and would not allow a student to "pass", until they made sure their top lip did not move except for the letter "Waw". This was one of the methods to make sure each letter was being formed and pronounced in the right way. This took me several days!

After this he begins his students with Juzz Amma 30th Juzz (beginning from the end, Surah Naas). Then, it is usually Surah Baqarah.

Wasalamu Alaykum

Abdullah5576

Assalamu alaykum,

Shaykh UbaydAllah al Afghani, is one of the great Quran scholars of our times. He has Isnaads to the Prophet Muhammad (s), is a teacher in Masjid al Nabawi, an Imam of Masjid Abu Bakr (a small historic mosque right next to Masjid al nabawi), and a professor at Imam Saud university.

This is how he teaches:

1. at-t3awwuth - That is when you seek refuge in Allah from the Shaitan. (auzubillahi minash-shaitan nir-rajim)

2. Basmallah.

3. Surah Fatihah.

These top 3 he was very very strict with, especially Surah Fatihah, and would not allow a student to "pass", until they made sure their top lip did not move except for the letter "Waw". This was one of the methods to make sure each letter was being formed and pronounced in the right way. This took me several days!

After this he begins his students with Juzz Amma 30th Juzz (beginning from the end, Surah Naas). Then, it is usually Surah Baqarah.

Wasalamu Alaykum

Was their difficulty memorizing Al Baqara? And Im guessing he uses the 30th juz to strengthen memory

muslimah2012

subhan Allah we tend to think that the last juzz is the easiest just because it has small surrahs but in reality the last juzz is one of the hardest since the style is changing every surrah
most commonly you find a surrah has a flow to it and makes it easy to memorise one of the easiest surrahs i found to memorise was surrah al qiyamah subhan Allah
but i definately think ( i have ust started my hifdh again )
i think its best to do the surrahs you use regularly or those that will intercede

like surrah al baqarah and al imran ( intercede on yamil qiyamah and surrah baqarah should be read 1 every three days in your ohome so that is your revission allready set for you on that surrah
then there is surrah al mulk and surrah as sajda ( before you sleep thats your revission for them )
the brother mentioned surrah yassin ...
but the last juzz is without a doubt nice to know but is the same like any other juzz if not a bit harder and most teachers start on it so that they can tell their students you have 1 juzz ( makes them feel good as its one of the most well known juzz of the quran
juzz tabarrak is easy though so maybe you can get 2 juzz fast Allahu alem
but your hifdh is for yourself akhi remember that
and for your rank in the akhirah
so dont rush it just to be a hafidh have respect for the quran and remember knowledge that isnt benifeted from is wasted and wasted knowledge subhan Allah is against you on yamil qiyamah
may Allah ease your affairs and protect your memory
try to leave off wasteful things and sins as much as possible and keep the dhikr of tawba on your tongue avoid arguing as it hardens the heart and try to keep to a low fat high protien diet with alot of vegitables and nuts
but only eat small portions as too much food makes you "slow"

if you need any help with hifdh ideas ask here inshaAllah i have a load of them that i have tried over time

muslimah2012

Assalamu alaykum,

This is how he teaches:

2. Basmallah.

3. Surah Fatihah.

Wasalamu Alaykum

subhan Allah that is how i was tought with my teacher allthough she was moroccan and i have stayed on that since
as my teacher now is not as strict with the lips
allthough with letters pronounced with a dhamma you need to move your lips and pronouncing the letters that have the makhraj of the lips
but definately one needs to know how his mouth moves when they recite
we use to take mirrors to class to see our tongue and lips it really helps as when you go home you can remember how to do it but when you dont see it and sut try to say it right and remember how it feels its harder to tell if your doing it right
best thing is a strict teacher as my teacher brought me to tears many times and sometimes i spent a whole week on 5 ayahs just with her correcting me as getting it right once wasnt enough we had to get it right 10 times and then move forward if we made a mistake we had to start again and make it 10
but definately sticks in your head after all that and is worth it

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalamu alaykum,

This is how he teaches:

2. Basmallah.

3. Surah Fatihah.

Wasalamu Alaykum

:wasalam:

That sounds such a daunting task!We should make makhreej clear before learning a surah ,right?
Before reading the replies I would have said,begin from Surah Fatiha then Juz 'amma then backwards,but now I am unsure.This is a very good thread inshaAllah we can get some more ideas.

Abdullah5576

subhan Allah that is how i was tought with my teacher allthough she was moroccan and i have stayed on that since
as my teacher now is not as strict with the lips
allthough with letters pronounced with a dhamma you need to move your lips and pronouncing the letters that have the makhraj of the lips
but definately one needs to know how his mouth moves when they recite
we use to take mirrors to class to see our tongue and lips it really helps as when you go home you can remember how to do it but when you dont see it and sut try to say it right and remember how it feels its harder to tell if your doing it right
best thing is a strict teacher as my teacher brought me to tears many times and sometimes i spent a whole week on 5 ayahs just with her correcting me as getting it right once wasnt enough we had to get it right 10 times and then move forward if we made a mistake we had to start again and make it 10
but definately sticks in your head after all that and is worth it

That sounds like a good teacher but since you brought up pronunciation, is there an easy way to say ayn

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
wa alaikum salaam

Since Arabic is not my first language, and learning the Qur'an has been a struggle for me. I would start with the shortest Juz to the longer Juz.

muslimah2012

That sounds like a good teacher but since you brought up pronunciation, is there an easy way to say ayn

what do you mean is there any way to say ayn?
ayn comes from the throat akhi so it doesnt include the lips
some letters are open for comfort in pronouciation , like the letter dhaad some people have the back sides of their tongue touch their teath some have only the left or only the right
ayn has to come from the throat
im not sure how much of the makhari al huroof you know

Abdullah5576

what do you mean is there any way to say ayn?
ayn comes from the throat akhi so it doesnt include the lips
some letters are open for comfort in pronouciation , like the letter dhaad some people have the back sides of their tongue touch their teath some have only the left or only the right
ayn has to come from the throat
im not sure how much of the makhari al huroof you know

I know where it originates just can't get the sound right /:

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum

i started with al fatiha and continued with the shortest ones, like an nas, an nasr, al falaq, al kafirun,alhamdullilah, because i dont know yet arabic.
inchallah i will learn more...i do have a problem in pronuncing q :)

Abdullah5576

salam aleikum

i started with al fatiha and continued with the shortest ones, like an nas, an nasr, al falaq, al kafirun,alhamdullilah, because i dont know yet arabic.
inchallah i will learn more...i do have a problem in pronuncing q :)

I believe i have my 'ayn down now :) and my ustadh said to finish juz Amma then start from Baqara

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I started from the last hizb of the Quran because in the past my knowledge of the arabic language was really little.I memorized the shortest ones because it helps me to emprove my memory skilnesses.in less than a week I memorized surat ar Rahman and in 2 months the 3 first hizb of the Quran...at the moment I stopped because I have no much time with my children at home.I need to be relaxed and concentrated...in sh Allah I'll continue when they start going to the maternal school

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
I believe i have my 'ayn down now :) and my ustadh said to finish juz Amma then start from Baqara

salam aleikum

alhamdullilah your ayn is good now, my Q sometimes it is, sometimes not :) but inchallah our intentions are for Allah and only for him, so He is the only one that can help us. we should always remember that we learn not for anyone alse, but to gain blessings and love of our Creator, also to implement the beautifull islam in our life.

‘Aa’ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, relates that the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said:

Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]