Both His hands are right-handed – Shaikh Al-Albaanee

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Both His hands are right-handed – Shaikh Al-Albaanee

Fataawaa of Shaikh Al-Albaanee
Translated and Arranged by: Isma’eel Alarcon [ Al-Asaalah , Issue #4]

Question:

How can we make a combination between the report “with His left Hand” , mentioned in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar, radyAllaahu ‘anhumaa, in Saheeh Muslim and his, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, saying: “And both His hands are right-handed?”

Answer:

There is no contradiction between the two hadeeths that is apparent on the outset. Thus his, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, saying: “And both His hands are right-handed” is an affirmation of Allaah’s statement:

“There is nothing whatsoever like Him (in comparison). And He is the All-Hearer, the All- Seer.” [Surah Ash-Shooraa: 11]

So this description, which the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, has informed us of is an affirmation of Allaah’s removal from any anthropomorphic qualities. Thus, the hand of Allaah is not like the hand of a human being – left-handed and right-handed. On the contrary, both His hands are right-handed, may He be far removed from any defects.

As for the other point, then it is that the report: “with His left hand” is shaadh , [12] as I have clarified in the checking of “ Al-Mustalahaat-ul-Arba’ah Al-Waaridah feel-Qur’aan ” (no. 1) of Al-Mawdoodee. What further supports this is that Abu Dawood also reported this hadeeth and (in it, he, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam ) said, “with His other hand” in the place of “with His left hand.” This report is in conformity with his, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, other saying: “And both His hands are right- handed.” And Allaah knows best.

Footnotes:

[12 ] Translator’s Note: A shaadh hadeeth is a hadeeth reported by a reliable narrator, which contradicts (the report of) a narrator that is more trustworthy than him.

Source: http://asmawasifaat.wordpress.com/

Ershad

Asalamualaykum,
By "hands" isnt it figurative rather than literal?

:wasalam:

No, the meaning is literal. But, we do not liken Allah's Hand to those of his creation. However, here is something from Fataawa of Shaykh`Abdul `Aziz Bin `Abdullah ibn Baz

Our creed is to affirm Allah’s Attribute of having a Hand and the other attributes stated by Him in His Noble Book or by His Messenger Muhammad (peace be upon him) in the purified Sunnah. However, this Hand is such as befits Allah’s Majesty without Takyif (descriptive designation of Allah’s Attributes) or Tamthil (likening Allah’s Attributes to those of His Creation) or Tahrif (distortion of the meaning) or Ta`til (negation of the meaning or function of Allah’s Attributes). We believe that there is nothing like Him; and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer. We do not deny any of His Attributes with which He described Himself. We do not change the words from their (right) places. We do not discuss the nature of His Attributes, or liken His Attributes to those of His creation, because there is nothing that can be compared to Him, and He has no peer, equal or rival. Just as He (Glorified be He) has a true “Self” which is not similar to that of His creatures, He does not resemble any of His creatures in any of His Attributes. Confirming the Attributes of the Creator does not entail comparing them to those of the created. This is the doctrine of the Salaf (righteous predecessors) including Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet), Tabi`un (Followers, the generation after the Companions of the Prophet) and their followers from the best three generations of Islam and their successors to this day.

Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah be merciful to him) stated:

More than one scholar reported that the Salaf unanimously agreed that the literal meanings of the Attributes of the Creator (Glorified and Exalted be He) should be accepted according to their apparent implication without any Takyif or Tashbih to the created. Discussing the Attributes comes under the heading of discussing the Divine Self. Whatever is said about the Divine Self, the same can in all respects be said about the Divine Attributes. If the Self is affirmed to exist without descriptive designation, the same applies to the Attributes. We affirm the existence of every Attribute without describing its manner. We say that Allah (Exalted be He) has a Hand and Eyes, but we do not say that His Hand implies Power and His Hearing implies having knowledge. Then he (may Allah be merciful to him) quoted as evidence affirming Allah’s Attribute of having a Hand the following Ayah: <<The Jews say: “Allâh’s Hand is tied up (i.e. He does not give and spend of His Bounty).” Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for what they uttered. Nay, both His Hands are widely outstretched. He spends (of His Bounty) as He wills>> (Surah Al-Maidah 8:64). Allah (Exalted be He) also has said to Iblis (Satan): <<What prevents you from prostrating yourself to one whom I have created with Both My Hands >>(Surah Sa’d 38:75). He (Glorified be He) also says: <<They made not a just estimate of Allâh such as is due to Him. And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand.>> (Surah Al-Zumar 39:67)

Allah (Glorified be He) also says: <<Blessed be He in Whose Hand is the dominion Allah>> (Glorified be He) also says: In Your Hand is the good. Verily, You are Able to do all things. Then in commentary on these Ayahs, Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah be merciful to him) said: These Ayahs mean that Allah (Exalted be He) has two Hands in a manner which suits His Majesty and that He created Adam with them unlike the angels and Iblis. Also, Allah (Exalted be He) will grasp the earth and fold the heavens in His Right Hand and that His both Hands are widely outstretched. The word outstretched implies generosity and free giving, for acts of generosity are often with the hand stretched out, whereas when holding back the hands are clasped close to the neck, as Allah (Exalted be He) says: And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, nor stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.

Conventionally, when someone is described as having widely outstretched hands, it is understood that the person has hands in a true literal sense. Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah be merciful to him) stated that the plural form of hand, i.e. hands is used to imply neither bounty nor power. Using the singular form to express numerous things or the plural form to express one thing is baseless in the Arabic language in which the Qur’an was revealed. Thus, Hands in His Saying: …to one whom I have created with Both My Hands cannot mean power because the latter is one attribute. It is incorrect to use the plural form (hands) to express one thing (power). Nor do they imply bounty because we cannot use two hands to denote Allah’s Bounties which are countless. Then he (may Allah be merciful to him) quoted evidence from the Sunnah that affirms Allah’s Attribute of having a Hand.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The just will be with Allah on pulpits of light on the right Hand of the Most Merciful (Glorified and Exalted be He), and both His Hands are right – those who are just in their judgment and are fair with their families and those of whom they are in charge. (Related by Muslim) He (peace be upon him) also said: Allah’s Hand is full; never diminishes no matter how much is given, generously and unceasingly spending, night and day. Do you see what He has spent since He created the Heavens and the Earth? Yet all that has not decreased what is in His Hand.

His Throne was over the water; and in His Other Hand there is the Balance; He raises and lowers (whom He wills). (Related by Muslim) It is also reported in the Sahih (Authentic Hadith Book) on the authority of Abu Said Al-Khudry (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The earth will be one single bread on the Day of Resurrection which the Almighty will turn in His Hand as one of you turns a loaf while on a journey. It is also reported in the Sahih on the authority of Ibn `Umar (may Allah be pleased with them) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: ‘The Lord (Glorified and Exalted be He) will take in His Hand His heavens and earth and say, ‘I am Allah – the Prophet (peace be upon him) clenched and opened his fingers (and continued narrating) – I am the King.’ So much so that I looked at the Minbar (pulpit) and saw it moving underneath the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and thought that it would cause him (peace be upon him) to fall. According to another narration: While on the Minbar (pulpit), the Prophet (peace be upon him) recited the Ayah: They made not a just estimate of Allâh such as is due to Him. And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand. Glorified be He, and High be He above all that they associate as partners with Him! He (peace be upon him) said, ‘Allah – glorifying Himself – will say: I am the Almighty.’ It is also reported in the Sahih on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Allah will hold the earth and fold the Heaven in His right Hand, and say, ‘I am the King! Where are the kings of the earth?’ Another authentic Hadith says: (When Allah created Adam) Allah, keeping His Two Hands closed, said to him (Adam), ‘Choose whichever you will.’ Adam said, ‘I choose the Right Hand of My Lord and both Hands of my Lord are blessed.’ Then Allah spread out His Hand, and there were Adam and his offspring.

It is reported in the Sahih: When Allah created the creation He wrote with His Hand on Himself: Verily, My Mercy overcomes My Wrath.

It is also reported in the Sahih: There was an argument between Adam and Moses, in which Adam said to Moses, ‘You are Moses! Allah chose you (above mankind) by His speaking (to you) and wrote with His own Hand the Torah for you.’ Moses said, ‘You are Adam! Allah has created you with His Hand and breathed into you the soul He created for you.’

It is reported that Allah (Exalted be He) says: By My Majesty and Glory, I will not make the righteous offspring of those whom I created with My Hands like those (other creatures) to whom I said, ‘Be’ and they were. It is reported in the Sunan (Hadith compilations classified by jurisprudential themes): Allah created Adam and wiped his back with His Right Hand,and brought forth from it an offspring, saying, ‘I have created these for Paradise and the deeds of the people of Paradise they will be doing.’ He then wiped his back and brought forth from it an offspring, saying, ‘I have created these for Hellfire, and the deeds of the people of Hellfire they will be doing.’

Shaykh-ul-Islam stated that these Hadiths and others stand as decisive texts closed to Ta’wil (allegorical interpretation). They were accepted and authenticated by the Muslim Ummah. The Qur’an and Sunnah many times mention Allah’s Attribute of having a Hand including that He (Exalted be He) created with His Hand, His Hands are widely outstretched and the dominion is in His Hand. Also, the Sunnah is replete with mention of this attribute. It is impossible that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and the Imams omitted to explain to people that these texts do not imply the apparent meaning or should not be interpreted in the literal sense.

That this continued until Jahm ibn Safwan came a long time after the era of Sahabah to explain to people what was revealed to their Prophet (peace be upon him)! Then Bishr ibn Ghiyath followed his path as well as others accused of hypocrisy imitated him.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us everything; even how to make Istinja’ (cleansing the private parts with water after urination or defecation). He (peace be upon said) said: I have left nothing which can lead you to Paradise except that I explained it to you. I have left you on white (clear) proof; its night is like its day. None shall deviate from it after me except that he is destroyed.

It is illogical after that the Prophet (peace be upon him) would ignore the claim that apparent meanings of the texts contained in the Book and Sunnah imply Tajsim (anthropomorphism) and Tashbih and that whoever believe in the apparent meanings is misguided without explaining or manifesting the truth. It is also impossible that the Salaf say we should pass these texts as they were revealed while they intend the metaphorical meaning. If they had implied metaphorically certain attributes, the Arabs would have realized this. Persians and Romans cannot be more knowledgeable of Arabic language than the sons of Muhajirun (Emigrants from Makkah to Madinah) and Ansar (Helpers, inhabitants of Madinah who supported the Prophet).

I hope that clarifies.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

:jazaak: kind brother for this useful article.A few days back I was listening to a lecture by Sheikh Assim Al Hakim where he talked about an incident where there was a scholar from the old times who reprimanded son of a King who was trying to explain Allah's hand.I don't exactly recall the names but it ws a famous scholar.He told the boy,my nephew explain about Jibra'eel (alyhissalam) who has 600 wings and from which Jewels,emeralds and pearls are falling.When Hazrat Jibraeel alyhissalam appeared to the Prophet :saw: in his true form,he appeared in that form sitting on a chair covering the horizons and he had huge signs to speak above him because of which prophet :saw: could not see anything.So if we cannot imagine Hazrat Jibra'eel (alyhissalam) ,how can we imagine Allah ('azz wa jal);the heavens and Earth compared to His kursi(footstool) are like ring thrown in a desert!Allahu Akbar!

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
BarakAllah Feek for the long post...
From my understanding, its not in the literal sense as in the hands that we have then for our understanding it is figurative because Allah's hands are not something that we have any description of nor something we can imagine with our human mind... So the word hand is used to indicate its function similar to the function of our hands... holding, stretching, clenching, creating....

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
I remember once i attended a lecture and the maulana said that if we say "its in Allah's hands" then we have to repeat the shahada! because how can we say Allah has hands - we are likening Allah to humans...

Ershad

BarakAllah Feek for the long post...
From my understanding, its not in the literal sense as in the hands that we have then for our understanding it is figurative because Allah's hands are not something that we have any description of nor something we can imagine with our human mind... So the word hand is used to indicate its function similar to the function of our hands... holding, stretching, clenching, creating....

I remember once i attended a lecture and the maulana said that if we say "its in Allah's hands" then we have to repeat the shahada! because how can we say Allah has hands - we are likening Allah to humans...

Wa feek baarakallah.

By figurative, I think you mean allegoric or symbolism (Ta’wil ). That is incorrect as well. There are people who say that hands or Eyes are allegorical (Figurative representation). First, you cannot describe it or liken it to those parts that we have, as you said and the maulana said. At the same time, you cannot call them allegorical or symbols or figurative representation. That is why I said literal. By literal, it is not our hands that I refer, by literal I mean Allah has hands the way it fits His Majesty... I do not define it or describe it.

As Shaykh Ibn Baaz explains, Your belief should be without

Tahrif (distortion of the meaning) - i.e. You should not say that by hands, Allah means something else allegorically or distorting its meaning by some other way.
Ta‘til (denial) -i.e. Denying the attributes that Allah has revealed.
Takyif (describing how) - i.e. We do not know the description. If someone asks how the hands are, we say it is the way that befits His Majesty.
Tamthil (likening His Attributes to those of His Creation) - i.e. We do not liken His attributes to ours or any other creation.

So, one extreme is where people consider it as allegorical or figurative and the other extreme is where people liken it to creation. Both of them is not permissible according to scholars of Salaf. The Scholars agreed to believe in the attributes without interpreting or analogising.

We believe and affirm the attributes of Allaah as Allaah has described and how His Messenger has described, but without delving into the modality or trying to imagine or liken it to the Creation. And most importantly we affirm the apparent meanings of the attributes of Allaah.

What is necessary for us to believe in terms of the attributes of Allaah is that they are Haqeeqah (literal) as opposed to being Majaaz (metophorical) and we believe in it and affirm its Dhaahir (Apparent meaning). As for the modality or the reality of the attributes of Allaah- then we do not know this and we remain silent
regarding it.

I also refer you to some of the posts of Akhi Thariq and ukhti Samiha(I have taken parts of my post from there, May Allah Reward them). If you want to go into the issues in it and if you have time, spend reading them since this is very important to know what we believe.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=516882&postcount=51

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544455&postcount=88

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544537&postcount=90

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544539&postcount=92

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544546&postcount=93

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544559&postcount=94

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544689&postcount=97

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=544850&postcount=104

Akhi Thariq gives an example for such situation, For example, the actual meaning of leg is known. But the leg of a table differs to the leg of a person- because of the definition. So when we say hands of Allah, it is literal hands but we do not describe or define it.

I hope you understand now.

muslim56

Human Being
Shame on those so-called muslims who say that Allah(swt) doesn't have a hand using this ayah as a proof:
{There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.}

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Shame on those so-called muslims who say that Allah(swt) doesn't have a hand using this ayah as a proof:
{There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.}

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

BaarakAllaahu feek. The thing they fail to realize is that Allaah Himself affirms two of His Attributes in that very ayah... i.e that Allaah Hears and Sees!