Is the money lawful for me?

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

I have a small question. About a year ago I lent money to a brother. He took a VERY long time to return it to me. Eventually I just wrote off the loan, accepted that he wouldnt pay me back. Yesterday I received the money back from him into my bank account with 10% extra. I informed him immediately that there was 10% extra and told him I would return it to him.
Then he told me no - thats for the delay. I explained that I do not want extra - only what i had lent and nothing more. But he insisted.

Is it lawful for me to accept this money considering I did not ask for it?

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Wasalaam, thanks sister... i am arranging western union transfer to him now...
decided against keeping it even if it was allowed. since no one else replied, rather be safe than sorry :)

strive-may-i

:salam2:

Better safe than sorry is good.

Its a very subtle matter, the core and real intention behind the extra counts. The extra should be totally voluntary, without any prior agreement. Nor should there be a tacit understanding or expectation from the lender, for an extra.

Here are some hadees,

Narrated By Abu Huraira: A man came to the Prophet and demanded a camel (the Prophet owed him). Allah's Apostle told his companions to give him (a camel). They said, "We do not find except an older camel (than what he demands). (The Prophet ordered them to give him that camel). The man said, "You have paid me in full and may Allah also pay you in full." Allah's Apostle said, "Give him, for the best amongst the people is he who repays his debts in the most handsome manner." [Bukhari]

Narrated By Jabir bin Abdullah: I went to the Prophet while he was in the Mosque. (Mis'ar thinks, that Jabir went in the forenoon.) After the Prophet told me to pray two Rakat, he repayed me the debt he owed me and gave me an extra amount. [Bukhari]

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister. The money is halal for you, since it was money that you gave to your brother (as a loan), and he repaid you back for it.

If you want to give the money back to your brother [or in Sadaqah (my advice would be to donate it to the Muslims in Syria)] then have this intention in your mind that you are doing it so that:

1. Allah (SWT) will increase His Blessings upon you in the Hereafter.

2.) For Allah (SWT) to uplift the punishments of the Hereafter for you.

3.) That Allah (SWT) will soften your hearts [espeially towards other Muslims (so that you can taste the sweetness of helping other Muslims (and through this, you will feel joy whenever you spend money on other Muslims (<real Muslims, not "Muslims" who have Nifaq in their hearts)]

4.) So that Allah (SWT) will be pleased with you (and if you reach such a stage (in life) that Allah (SWT) is pleased with you (for all of your good deeds and for being Loyal to Him (SWT) and His Ebaad) and that YOU are please with Him (for all the blessings that He (SWT) has given you **(read the bottome)** then you will die in such a state that you will be close to the Anbiyaa on the day of Judgement.

[yt]OMprZz9ktyM[/yt]

**Frtom the fact that He makes your heart pump blood for about every single second of your life (since the time you were born) till the time you die (and just imagine, if your heart skipped even ONE beat, then you would have ended up having a stroke),

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum,
JazakAllah to all.
I spoke with the guy about the money and he agreed to give it to charity. But I will not give the money as if it were coming from me, I will give it from him.
Waslaam