About fardh Salah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh.

We pray two unit fardh at fajr, four at dhurr, four at 'asr, three maghrib and four+three at 'Ishaa time. Is that all we are held accountable for?

As a child I was taught to pray 4+10+4+5+9 and encouraged to pray extra. Now, there are people (let's consider kids and teens ) who don't pray at all. They are either to tired to pray or prayer isn't important for them. Is it alright to ask them to pray fardh only, as in to not make them feel burdened, protect them from sinning and establish the habit.

I always felt anyone praying less than 4+10+4+5+9 (at the very least) should be ashamed of themselves, then I had to remind myself Islam wasn't based on my personal likes and dislikes. BUT I'm confused if I'm right to understand that the fardh salah is enough to fulfill the obligation of Salah.

Jazaakum Allaahu khayraa.

Ershad

Walaikkum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

As far as I know (which is very less), Fardh is only 2(Fajr) + 4(Dhuhr) + 4(Asr) + 3(Maghrib) + 4(Isha). That is what is individually obligatory. Rest are supererogatory act of worship and a Muslim is encouraged to perform them for much rewards. I do not know why you add three more Rakat to Isha? Witr? As far as I have read, Witr is not obligatory. But, Scholars have differed on that.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

As far as I know (which is very less), Fardh is only 2(Fajr) + 4(Dhuhr) + 4(Asr) + 3(Maghrib) + 4(Isha). That is what is obligatory. Rest are supererogatory act of worship and a Muslim is encouraged to perform them for much rewards. I do not know why you add three more Rakat to Isha? Witr? As far as I have read, Witr is not obligatory.

:salam2: wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

what you said is correct but i do like to point out a few things, the witr and fajr sunnah
- Sunnat al-Fajr and al-Witr are Sunnah Mu’akkadah, prayer which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never omitted to do, whether he was travelling or not.
and those who don't do the obligatory sunnah are held accountable for it.

InshAllah sister this fatwa below should help

He wants to pray the obligatory prayers only and not the naafil prayers

and maybe have a look at these too if time permits

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/36793/witr obligatory
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21467/fajr sunnah
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6586/fajr sunnah obligatory

and i know what you are saying with

4+10+4+5+9

so i just like to point out, that formula includes sunnah and nafil and its very good to pray them, but like you point out the situation inshAllah atleast they should pray the fard as pointed out by the brother but also include the 2 fajr sunnah and witr in them that can be the minimum
and Allah (swt) knows best if i said something wrong please correct me
JazakAllah khair
:wasalam:

Ershad

Walaikkum assalam wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Yes. Indeed. Witr and Fajr Sunnah are Al-Sunan Al-Rawatib (stressed sunnah) and very very much recommended. And Witr can be done with just one Raka'h (the minimum). So, those kids can be encouraged to do that as well. However, my point was that their status in Shari'ah is Nawafil, the performing of which is rewarding and omission of which is not sinful (This is from Imam Al-Nawawi's Riyad-us-Saliheen, Chapter 195).

But, Allah knows best. I would be glad if someone else more knowledgeable than me could answer with proof. I do not understand the following statements in IslamQA

Therefore, a person will not be punished for not doing things which are Sunnah in the second sense. With regard to the first definition, this is not the case, for these are divided into things which are obligatory (waajib) and things which are supererogatory (naafil).

I do know that As-Sunnan Ar-Rawatib (or Sunnah Mu'akkadah) are called "compulsory" prayers but it still comes under Nawafil, right?

EDIT: I do not want to be seemed discouraging to pray Nawafil, hence I want to link this article about excellence of Optional prayers.

Baarakallahu feekum

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Ah, sorry. I understood now. That statement refers to things like letting the beard grow. Just before that, the shaykh says:

What the scholars of usool and fiqh call “mustahabb (encouraged)”, which are deeds for which the one who does them will be rewarded, but the one who does not do them will not deserve to be punished for that. Examples include al-Sunan al-Rawaatib (Sunnah prayers which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did regularly), Salaat al-Duhaa and so on.

This is what I was implying as well from Imam Al-Nawawi's Riyad-us-Saliheen.

Baarakallahu feekum.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

As far as I know (which is very less), Fardh is only 2(Fajr) + 4(Dhuhr) + 4(Asr) + 3(Maghrib) + 4(Isha). That is what is individually obligatory. Rest are supererogatory act of worship and a Muslim is encouraged to perform them for much rewards. I do not know why you add three more Rakat to Isha? Witr? As far as I have read, Witr is not obligatory. But, Scholars have differed on that.

BaraakAllaahu feek. I added 3 for witr which I'm taught is wajib, and wajib according to what I read in a Brother's post is equal to Fardh according to the scholars and if I recall correctly, than Imaam Abu Haneefa differentiated between fardh and wajib. I tend to go for the more strict view so that I may not miss anything.

Not sure if I'm correct here. I'll check this one out.

:salam2: wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

what you said is correct but i do like to point out a few things, the witr and fajr sunnah
- Sunnat al-Fajr and al-Witr are Sunnah Mu’akkadah, prayer which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never omitted to do, whether he was travelling or not.
and those who don't do the obligatory sunnah are held accountable for it.

InshAllah sister this fatwa below should help

He wants to pray the obligatory prayers only and not the naafil prayers

1) I thought Sunnah Mu'akkadah are 2+6+0+2+2 without witr which is wajib.

2) The bold bit, I read the first fatwa and no where did it say that a person is held accountable for leaving sunnah Mu'akkadah. Have I miss a paragraph or a line or are the words "held accountable for" used in more than one sense.

BaraakAllaahu feek.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
So I was wrong about Imaam abu haneefa holding the opposite view.

Assalaamu `alaykum

Firstly, I advise you not to trust that website. They are deviants in terms of their `aqeedah- may Allaah guide them.

Secondly, Fard and Waajib are both the same thing. Only the Hanafi Madh-hab differentiated between both of them and this is how the Hanafis understand the difference between Fard and Waajib:

Fard - an obligation established via evidence that is definite in its transmission AND meaning (i.e. Mutawaatir/Mashhur and Nass Sareeh)

Wajib - an obligation established via evidence that is indefinite in its transmission AND/OR meaning (i.e. Khabr Wahid and/or Nass Muhtamal)

The distinction itself was not made by the early Hanafi scholars and was introduced by Hanafi scholars who came later and was from the rationalist movement (in terms of their Creed). Because, the differentiating of evidences into definite and indefinite- helped them reject narrations that are related to Creed.

Thirdly, in terms of the Ahkaam (Rulings) of the Sharee`ah- then these are divided into 5 categories:

Al-Waajib (Obligatory), Mustahabb (recommended), Al-Mubaah (permissible), Al- Makrooh (offensive), Haraam (Forbidden)

1) Waajib (Obligatory): This is anything for which one is rewarded if performed and will be punished if left out.

2) Mustahabb (Recommded): This is anything for which one is rewarded for if performed and not punished if left out.

3) Mubaah (Permissible): This is for which one is neither rewarded nor punished for performing the action or leaving it.

4) Makrooh (Disliked): This is anything for which one is rewarded if left out, and not punished if performed.

5) Haraam (Forbidden): This is anything for which one will be punished if performed and rewarded for leaving it out.

Every single thing we do in life, all fall under one of the above 5 rulings of the Sharee`ah. Whether we do anything related to acts of worship or anything related to dunya- everything comes under one of these five categories.

This also goes to show that the religion we have been blessed with, is a religion that is comprehensive and gives us guidance for every single thing in life. This is why we say that Islaam is a complete way of life.

And this from second fatwa the provided in the third post:

bn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Witr is not obligatory. This is the view of Maalik and al-Shaafa’i. Abu Haneefah said: it is obligatory. Then he said: Ahmad said: Whoever omits to pray Witr deliberately is a bad man, whose testimony should not be accepted. He wanted to emphasize that it is confirmed because of the ahaadeeth which say that it is enjoined and encouraged. End quote from al-Mughni, 1/827

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

BaraakAllaahu feek. I added 3 for witr which I'm taught is wajib, and wajib according to what I read in a Brother's post is equal to Fardh according to the scholars and if I recall correctly, than Imaam Abu Haneefa differentiated between fardh and wajib. I tend to go for the more strict view so that I may not miss anything.

Not sure if I'm correct here. I'll check this one out.

1) I thought Sunnah Mu'akkadah are 2+6+0+2+2 without witr which is wajib.

2) The bold bit, I read the first fatwa and no where did it say that a person is held accountable for leaving sunnah Mu'akkadah. Have I miss a paragraph or a line or are the words "held accountable for" used in more than one sense.

BaraakAllaahu feek.

:salam2:
i read a couple of fatwas and that bold bit was taken from another one i think it is one of the ones i posted the link to, the top link was the one most appropriate to your question to i posted it on the top

i know one thing that Prophet (PBUH) didn't miss the sunnah prayer of the fajr, and after reading some of the fatwa they also stated that he didn't miss them even while travelling so we shudn't omit them either

inshAllah someone can provide maybe more explanation on this issue

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
i read a couple of fatwas and that bold bit was taken from another one i think it is one of the ones i posted the link to, the top link was the one most appropriate to your question to i posted it on the top

i know one thing that Prophet (PBUH) didn't miss the sunnah prayer of the fajr, and after reading some of the fatwa they also stated that he didn't miss them even while travelling so we shudn't omit them either

inshAllah someone can provide maybe more explanation on this issue

Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

I think you misunderstood the fatwa when you read it. The fourth fatwa you shared says:

What the scholars of usool and fiqh call “mustahabb (encouraged)”, which are deeds for which the one who does them will be rewarded, but the one who does not do them will not deserve to be punished for that. Examples include al-Sunan al-Rawaatib (Sunnah prayers which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did regularly), Salaat al-Duhaa and so on.

Therefore, a person will not be punished for not doing things which are Sunnah in the second sense. With regard to the first definition, this is not the case, for these are divided into things which are obligatory (waajib) and things which are supererogatory (naafil).

Sunnat al-Fajr and al-Witr are Sunnah Mu’akkadah, prayer which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never omitted to do, whether he was travelling or not.

Letting the beard grow is an obligation (waajib); it does not come under the category of Sunnah as defined by the fuqahaa’. Whoever shaves his beard is imitating the Majoos (Zoroastrians), going against the Fitrah (natural disposition of man), and changing the creation of Allaah.

Source

Also:

Witr prayer is Sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah) which the believer should adhere to. Whoever prays it on some days and not on others will not be blamed for that, but he should be advised to pray Witr regularly. It is prescribed to pray two rak’ahs during the day instead if a person misses it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do that,

Source

But as per Imaam Abu haneefa it is obligatory so according to him you are punishable if you miss it, as far as my knowledge of obligation goes.

Also this fatwa lays emphasis on it's importance but nothing about the person missing it being punishable.

All three fatwas are the one you shared.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

I think you misunderstood the fatwa when you read it. The fourth fatwa you shared says:

Also:

But as per Imaam Abu haneefa it is obligatory so according to him you are punishable if you miss it, as far as my knowledge of obligation goes.

Also this fatwa lays emphasis on it's importance but nothing about the person missing it being punishable.

All three fatwas are the one you shared.

ok JazakAllah khair for correcting me, i guess i quickly glanced over it and with this in mind

i just confirmed it

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Is not praying Sunnah salah ( a long with Fardh salah) considered as Wajid? And not as Nafila salah?

If you can please explain me dear brother because I always thought that praying Sunnah is Wajib and not only Nafila salah?

And Allah knows the best.

serena77

can someone please explain Witr to me? i mean i understand whats been said... but could someone fall back and punt and explain what it is... i hate to ask stupid questions ... but i'd really appreciate it..

Jakazallah Khair in advance.
Serena

Ershad

Is not praying Sunnah salah ( a long with Fardh salah) considered as Wajid? And not as Nafila salah?

If you can please explain me dear brother because I always thought that praying Sunnah is Wajib and not only Nafila salah?

And Allah knows the best.

No, it is not. There is a difference between Sunnah and Wajib.

Q: What is the difference between Wajib, Mandub, Mustahab, and Sunnah?

A: All Praise is due to Allah Alone. Peace and blessings be upon Allah's Messenger, his family, and Companions. To proceed: These terms differ according to the following terminology: (i) One who performs a Wajib (obligatory) act is rewarded; however, if one does not perform such act, punishment is incurred. (ii) Mandub (commendable), Mustahab (desirable), and Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet) are similar, if not synonymous. All of these terms refer to a category of acts that if one performs, one will be rewarded, but if one does not perform, one will not be punished.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.
Source: http://alifta.com/Fatawa/fatawaDetails.aspx?BookID=7&View=Page&PageNo=1&PageID=1346

As far as I'm aware, the general concensus is that there is no difference between fard and waajib in islaam. After fard or wajib comes sunnah muakkaddah, i.e. a strong or stressed sunnah. So all the prayers that you do on daily basis after the Fard prayers (That the Prophet :saw2: used to do regularly) are Sunnah Muakkaddah and there are other Nawafil Salah which the Prophet :saw2: did not do regularly. They are called Sunnah Ghair Mu'akkadah. Both these come under Nawafil Salah. Except for Witr, over which scholars have differed. As Sister Seeking posted before, Imam Abu Hanifa had considered Witr to be Wajib. But, it is still a Sunnah according to rest three schools of thought and it is Sunnah Mua'kkadah and it is highly recommended.

Also, it is good if you are in the habit of praying Sunnah regularly and what I posted above is just for knowledge. As for on day of Judgement, we do not know what the deficiencies in our Fard Salah are and when they are not proper, these nawafil Salah will help us, Insha Allah. So, continue to do them or start praying these Sunnah.

Ershad

can someone please explain Witr to me? i mean i understand whats been said... but could someone fall back and punt and explain what it is... i hate to ask stupid questions ... but i'd really appreciate it..

Jakazallah Khair in advance.
Serena

Walaikkum Assalam wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Baarakallahu feekum

Witr

Witr is a stressed Sunnah that a believer should maintain. Anyone who performs it intermittently is not sinful, but they are advised to observe it regularly. It is permissible to perform Shaf` (Prayer with an even number of units) during the daytime in place of a missed Witr, because the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to do so. It is authentically reported on the authority of `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) that she said: If sleep or illness prevented the Prophet (peace be upon him) from Salat-ul-Layl (optional Prayer at night), he would offer twelve Rak`ahs during the daytime. (Related by Muslim in his Sahih) The Prophet (peace be upon him) would, most times, perform eleven Rak`ahs during the night, offering Taslim after every two, and would conclude them with a single Rak`ah as Witr. If sleep or illness prevented him from doing so, he (peace be upon him) would offer twelve Rak`ahs during the daytime as `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported. Accordingly, if a Muslim is accustomed to performing five Rak`ahs at night and is prevented from doing so by sleep or any other impediment, they may perform six Rak`ahs in the daytime, offering Taslim after every two. The same applies if they are accustomed to performing three Rak`ahs, they may perform four Rak`ahs, performing Taslim after every two.

If they are accustomed to performing seven Rak`ahs, they may perform eight Rak`ahs, offering Taslim after every two.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions.

Source: http://www.alifta.org/Fatawa/fatawaDetails.aspx?View=Page&PageID=2330&PageNo=1&BookID=7

Time for praying Witr

It is prescribed for every believer, male and female, to offer Witr every night. The time for it is from ‘Isha’ (Night) Prayer until the breaking of dawn, according to what is reported in the Two Sahih (authentic) Books of Hadith (i.e. Al-Bukhari and Muslim) on the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: (Optional) Night Salah is two Rak‘ahs (units of Prayer) followed by two Rak‘ahs (and so on), and when one of you fears the break of dawn (Fajr Prayer), let them offer a single Rak‘ah to make the Salah they have offered Witr (Prayer with an odd number of units). Moreover, Muslim reported in his Sahih on the authority of Abu Sa‘id Al-Khudry (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Perform Witr before Subh (dawn) comes. Also, Imams Ahmad, Abu Dawud and Al-Tirmidhy reported a Hadith that was ranked as Sahih (authentic) by Al-Hakim on the authority of Kharijah ibn Hudhafah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: ‘Allah has blessed you with a Salah (Prayer) that is better for you than red camels (i.e. most precious possession).’ We said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, what is it?’ He (peace be upon him) said, ‘Witr, between ‘Isha’ Prayer and the break of dawn.’
There are many Hadiths that are mentioned in this regard which indicate that Witr ends with the break of dawn. However, if a worshipper does not know when dawn breaks, one may rely on a Mu’adhin (caller to Prayer) who is known for observing the right time of Salah. If the Mu’adhin who pays attention to the right time announces Adhan, then one has missed the Witr. As for a Mu’adhin who announces Adhan before the coming of the due time of dawn, in this case one has not missed Witr, nor does eating and drinking become prohibited for those who observe Sawm (Fasting), and similarly the Fajr Prayer does not become due by his Adhan according to the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him): Bilal announces Adhan at night, so eat and drink until Ibn Um Maktum announces the Adhan. (Agreed upon by Imams Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Ibn Um Maktum was blind and therefore did not announce Adhan until he was told that dawn had come.
It is clear from what we have mentioned that the time for Witr ends with the beginning of Adhan if the Mu’adhin is observing the correct time of dawn. If, however, he says Adhan while the praying person is offering the final Rak‘ah of Witr, they should complete it, because one is not certain that dawn has come just by hearing the Adhan, and there is nothing wrong in that, In sha’a-Allah (if Allah wills). However, if a person misses Witr, it is prescribed for them to offer during day the number of Rak‘ahs they usually perform during night and to add one Rak‘ah to them to make them even-numbered. Accordingly, if they usually perform three, they should make it four, and if they usually perform five, they should make it six, and so on, saying Taslim (salutation of peace ending the Prayer) after every two Rak‘ahs. It is reported in the Sahih of Muslim on the authority of `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) that she said: When the Prophet (peace be upon him) missed Witr Prayer during the night due to illness or sleep, he would pray twelve Rak‘ahs during the daytime. The Prophet (peace be upon him) usually offered eleven Rak‘ahs during the night, but if illness or sleep prevented him from doing that, he would pray twelve Rak‘ahs as `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) described: saying Taslim in the end of every two Rak‘ahs. Moreover, `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) is authentically reported to have said: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) used to pray ten Rak‘ahs at night, saying Taslim in the end of every two Rak‘ahs and then offer a single Rak‘ah as Witr. (Agreed upon by Imams Al-Bukhari and Muslim) Also, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: (Optional) Salah by night and day is two Rak‘ahs followed by two Rak‘ahs (and so on). (Related by Imam Ahmad and the Four Compilers of Sunan [Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Al-Tirmidhy, Al-Nasa’y] through an authentic Isnad [chain of narrators] from the Hadith of Ibn ‘Umar) Its source is in the Two Sahih Books of Hadith with the wording stated in the beginning of the answer: (Optional) Night Salah is two Rak‘ahs followed by two Rak‘ahs (and so on) Allah is the One Who grants success!

Source: http://www.alifta.org/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=1877&PageNo=1&BookID=14

How To: Witr Salah​

The Prophet (peace be upon him) performed Witr as one Rak`ah. He taught anyone who asked him about supererogatory night Salah to perform two Rak`ahs and then perform one Rak`ah as Witr before Fajr (dawn) prayer. `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: "When Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) finished the `Isha' (Night) Prayer, he would offer eleven Rak`ahs before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer, concluding each two Rak`ahs with Taslim (salutation of peace ending the Prayer) and observing the Witr Rak`ah at the end." This Hadith was reported by Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Dawud and Al-Nasa'iy. It was also reported that Ibn `Umar said: "A man came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and asked him: 'How can I offer Qiyam Al-Layl (the optional night prayer)'. The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: 'Pray two Rak`ahs at a time and then two and then two and so on and if you are afraid of the approach of the time of Fajr (Dawn) Prayer, perform one Rak`ah as Witr.'" This Hadith was reported by the Group of Compilers of Hadith (Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhy, Al-Nasa'iy, and Ibn Majah). It was reported that Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them) said that they heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) saying: "Witr is a rak`ah at the end of prayer."
(Part No. 7; Page No. 169)
This Hadith was reported by Ahmad and Muslim.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) performed Witr as three consecutive Rak`ahs without separating them with Taslim many times. It was reported on the authority of Ubay ibn Ka`b (may Allah be pleased with him) that The Prophet (peace be upon him) used to recite Glorify the Name of your Lord, the Most High, during Witr in the first Rak`ah Say: (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم to these Mushrikûn and Kâfirûn): "O Al-Kafirûn (disbelievers in Allâh, in His Oneness, in His Angels, in His Books, in His Messengers, in the Day of Resurrection, and in Al-Qadar)! in the second Rak`ah and Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): "He is Allâh, (the) One. in the third one. He used to perform them without Taslim except after the third one. This Hadith was reported by Al-Nasa'y. `Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: "Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) used to observe the Witr with three (Rak`ahs) without breaking them apart." This Hadith was reported by Ahmad, Al-Nasa'y and Al-Hakim. Al-Hakim said that this Hadith is authentic according to the conditions stipulated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim. However, it was reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) forbade performing Witr as three Rak`ah. Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Do not observe Witr as three Rak`ah but five or seven Rak`ah, and do not make it similar to Maghrib (Sunset) Prayer." This Hadith was reported by Al-Daraqutny with a chain of transmitters and said that they are all reliable. Many scholars have tried to integrate these Hadiths
(Part No. 7; Page No. 170)
through interpreting the prohibition of performing Witr as three Rak`ahs as performing them in the same manner as Maghrib (Sunset) Prayer. They interpreted the Hadiths that denote that the Prophet (peace be upon him) performed Witr as three Rak`ahs as performing them without Taslim except at the end of it. Some of them said that prohibition in this regard means a reprehensible act. They said it is better not to perform Witr as three Rak`ahs. A person is allowed to do any of these things. Abu Ayyub reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The witr is a duty for every Muslim so if anyone wishes to observe it with five Rak`ahs, he may do so; if anyone wishes to observe it with three, he may do so, and if anyone wishes to observe it with one, he may do so." This Hadith was reported by Imams Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Al-Nasa'iy and Ibn Majah. But a person should perform Witr as one Rak`ah as the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to do this a lot and due to the numerous authentic Hadiths reported in this regard.
As for Qunut during Witr, it was reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) did it and taught it to Al-Hasan ibn `Aly (may Allah be pleased with him). It was reported from `Aly (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to say in the last Rak`ah of his Witr: "O Allah! I seek refuge in Your Pleasure from Your Displeasure and in Your Pardon from Your Punishment, and I seek refuge in You from You. I cannot enumerate Your Praise, You are as You have praised Yourself."
(Part No. 7; Page No. 171)

This Hadith was reported by the Five Compilers of Hadith (Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhy, Al-Nasa'iy and Ibn Majah). Al-Hasan ibn `Aly (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) taught me some words that I say during the supplication of the Witr. They were: 'O Allah, guide me among those You have guided, grant me security among those You have granted security, take me into Your charge among those You have taken into Your charge, bless me in what You have given, guard me from the evil of what You have decreed, for You do decree, and nothing is decreed for You. He whom You become his Waliy is not humbled. Blessed and Exalted are You, our Lord." This Hadith was reported by the Five Compilers of Hadith (Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhy, Al-Nasa'iy and Ibn Majah). The followers of the Hanafy and Hanbaly Madh-hab (School of Jurisprudence) worked according to this Hadith. Some of the scholars of Hadith deemed these two Hadiths as weak. Following any of these views is pardonable. But it is better to perform Qunut during Witr Salah according to these two Hadiths because they are not less than Hadith Hasan (a Hadith whose chain of narration contains a narrator with weak exactitude, but is free from eccentricity or blemish). But we do not have an authentic Hadith that denotes that the Prophet (peace be upon him) performed Qunut during Witr until he died.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

Source: http://www.alifta.org/Fatawa/fatawaDetails.aspx?View=Page&PageID=2329&PageNo=1&BookID=7

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

No, it is not. There is a difference between Sunnah and Wajib.

As far as I'm aware, the general concensus is that there is no difference between fard and waajib in islaam. After fard or wajib comes sunnah muakkaddah, i.e. a strong or stressed sunnah. So all the prayers that you do on daily basis after the Fard prayers (That the Prophet :saw2: used to do regularly) are Sunnah Muakkaddah and there are other Nawafil Salah which the Prophet :saw2: did not do regularly. They are called Sunnah Ghair Mu'akkadah. Both these come under Nawafil Salah. Except for Witr, over which scholars have differed. As Sister Seeking posted before, Imam Abu Hanifa had considered Witr to be Wajib. But, it is still a Sunnah according to rest three schools of thought and it is Sunnah Mua'kkadah and it is highly recommended.

Also, it is good if you are in the habit of praying Sunnah regularly and what I posted above is just for knowledge. As for on day of Judgement, we do not know what the deficiencies in our Fard Salah are and when they are not proper, these nawafil Salah will help us, Insha Allah. So, continue to do them or start praying these Sunnah.

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for your benefical explination.

Alhamdulilah it is more understandable now!

Ershad

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for your benefical explination.

Alhamdulilah it is more understandable now!

Walaikkum assalam warahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Baarakallahu feekum. I just learn from different sources that I trust and post here. One good resource to search if you have doubts is - alifta.org. May Allah reward them. That is where I get my answers from.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Walaikkum assalam warahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Baarakallahu feekum. I just learn from different sources that I trust and post here. One good resource to search if you have doubts is - alifta.org. May Allah reward them. That is where I get my answers from.

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for sharing with us this very usefull Islamic link.

May Allah increase our knowledge.Ameen summa ameen