Seriously considering "major" change??

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2: brothers and sisters,

I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan

I have changed my major before (from nursing to psychology). I would really love to do clinical psychology which is what I am currently going to school for. I have chosen that field to help Muslims who're battling mental illness. I find helping people to be so rewarding and I take pleasure in doing so. My initial choice was nursing but after seeing a young boy getting stitches (I actually threw up just watching that). I realized I cannot stand blood and that nursing may not be for me.

I have recently learned about school counseling (it is part of the psychology field) and my counselor has told me about it. I find it to be appealing than clinical psychology considering my own personality. However, I am a bit conflicted right now---so confused about what I want to do with my degree. I know for a fact that I will not drop psychology, but the field is too broad and I cannot choose specific sub-major.
I also love teaching and have helped teach pre-schoolers at Islamic school----to be honest, I enjoyed it very much and the kids loved me.

One reason I am a bit shaky about clinical psychology is that--I feel I am not strong enough. If I am to see a client who went through a lot of trauma and who is struggling to go on with life, I am usually the person who'd cry along rather than come up with a solution. It is also currently a very competitive position and yea I have that fear of going through so many years of schooling and sitting home without a job.

I guess I am just asking for guidance......:SMILY335:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Wow..the energy you have. Alhumdullila.

OK...first, there is a personality test buried on TTI . It takes about 20 minutes. It helps you to understand how you see yourself and some indicators of your gifts and talents.
Second, the field of nursing is vast. Have you taken the time to investigate all the possibilities in the field itself.
In this tough economy I would recommend a field that is stable. You will have employment waiting for you InshaAllah, upon graduation. Once you opt for a graduate degree you can broaden your world even more. You can teach, you can become a psychiatric nurse, you can be a counselor etc. etc. etc.

Hope this helps.

serena77

salaams sister
your not alone in this though i haven't returned to school... I plan to as soon as i can figure out how... and it will be an online degree... and I think i'm going back for psych. it was what i started with... it should be what i finish with. will be a little different than the english/russian degrees I was so close too... but i have some background in dealing w/ the mental health community, which has told me what i do NOT want to do.. lol.

Inshallah you will do well I am sure you are strong enough. May Allah (swt) bless this decision and guide you through the path you are taking.

Serena

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

Pray isthikhara. I, myself am so confused about so many things. Isthikhara usually makes things eaiser.

May Allaah guide us to what is best for us in duniya and akhira and that which we will enjoy the most.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Wa'alaykum salaam warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

Insha'Allah, Istikharah should help.....Sister Aapa, I did take personality tests before. The top three careers suggested to me were the ones I mentioned: Nursing, Psychology and teaching. I will keep digging though, and like Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy suggested, I will consult Allah through istikharah insha'Allah.