Muslims Praying in Street

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

What's the need to pray on streets?. I have seen plenty of videos where Muslims are shown praying on streets in western countries. Does this serve any purpose?.

My friend and his family was to a resort some time before. At the time of Ishaa they decided to offer prayer publicly at the resort. When they were praying there people from a particular religion gathered and started raising Anti-Muslim slogans. It terrified female members from friend's family. They would have better prayed at home peacefully.

Praying publicly may bring out some curiosity to the viewers from other religions towards Islam or may create some sort of trouble but it would never serve as a function of Dawah.

Regards.

DanyalSAC

Assalamu Alaikum:

What's the need to pray on streets?. I have seen plenty of videos where Muslims are shown praying on streets in western countries. Does this serve any purpose?.

My friend and his family was to a resort some time before. At the time of Ishaa they decided to offer prayer publicly at the resort. When they were praying there people from a particular religion gathered and started raising Anti-Muslim slogans. It terrified female members from friend's family. They would have better prayed at home peacefully.

Praying publicly may bring out some curiosity to the viewers from other religions towards Islam or may create some sort of trouble but it would never serve as a function of Dawah.

Regards.

Wa alaikum salaam

Has it occurred to you that Western countries do not have masajid on every corner? I've had to pray on the streets many times. My brothers and I go to a movie, its time for maghrib when we come out, it takes 20 minutes to get to the closest masjid so we pray in the theater's parking lot. On the way home from work or a neighboring community or whatever, and the sun is going down (or coming up) we need to stop and pray on the side of the road. In non-Muslim countries it happens frequently. We don't have musallah in our shopping malls and grocery stores and at our jobs. When the time comes for prayer it needs to be done; there is no excuse to delay. Remember, the whole world for us is a masjid.

Does it serve any purpose? Yes, it ensures we get our salaah done in time. And I disagree with 100% with your comment that it would "never serve as a function of Dawah". As a da'ee I can tell you that it is a very effective way of doing dawah. Sure you get the deterrents but I've had many people come up to me afterwards and ask honest & legitimate questions.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Even sisters have prayed on the streets.

Also on eid's..there is always a large group of Muslims who show up..and there is overflow..always has been and always will be.

rivergum

Legalism has never been a good excuse for worship.

If you have to stop and worship in inappropriate places in order to 'remember' God then perhaps the practice says more about you than about God.

If you forget - remember. Simple. Why the necessity in drawing attention to the fact that you are 'remembering'?

DanyalSAC

If you have to stop and worship in inappropriate places in order to 'remember' God then perhaps the practice says more about you than about God.

If you forget - remember. Simple. Why the necessity in drawing attention to the fact that you are 'remembering'?

So you are saying that those who pray in the streets are doing it ONLY to make a spectacle of themselves? Wow.

Our Prophet himself salallahu alayhi wa salaam told us in a hadith accounted sahih in Al Bukhari

Allah made me victorious by awe, (by His frightening my enemies) for a distance of one month's journey.
The earth has been made for me (and for my followers) a place for praying and a thing to perform Tayammum, therefore anyone of my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due.
The booty has been made Halal (lawful) for me yet it was not lawful for anyone else before me.
I have been given the right of intercession (on the Day of Resurrection).
Every Prophet used to be sent to his nation only but I have been sent to all mankind.

When prayer is due and I am able to do so, I will pray where I am.

Killi_Feyzo

DanyalSAC

As I said - if you have to resort to legalism to pray then perhaps you need legalism.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean. Do you?

If you mean I resort to doing what is required in Islam then yes, I do. I am Muslim.

And ladies & gentlemen, you can see why I stop coming to this website. None among you defend your brothers & sisters who have to pray in public.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
As I said - if you have to resort to legalism to pray then perhaps you need legalism.

I do not see the importance of this post?? what do you mean by "legalism?"

I don't even get your point about remembering God? I mean we're Muslim, required to pray five times a day and we'll do that no matter where we are!!! When we're praying we're not simply "remembering" we're doing what we're obligated to do---there is no excuse for prayer and if any Muslim has to pray in "inappropriate" places when the call to God comes....they're gonna have to do that! No questions asked, and if *other* people have a problem with that---they're gonna have to deal with it! PERIOD!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother Danyal...now come on brother..you know I love ya and I have defended you.

OK...so once upon a time when I was lovely and it was a beautiful day in Wash, DC. It happened to be an eid. My mom and I are all dolled up. The Muslims cause a traffic jam...I am thinking to myself..this is the nation's capital..it is the home of the international community and the police, the Treasury Department etc. etc have no clue. Didn't someone look at the calendar and realize these crazy Muslims are going to the only masjid in DC. And we all know Muslims put the f in flock. I roll my southern gal eyes.
As I am ducking limousines and the best of luxury cars to salat I realize there is no place for the sisters. The only place is the sidewalk. We grab newspapers and pray. Well..what can I say..after prayers the brothers think my mom and I are women seeking charity. I had $100.00 dropped on my lap in five minutes. I was beet red.
Let me tell you brother I had some good eats that day.

Until one walks in another's shoes it is hard to make judgement. Do not leave us. You have a mature and masculine perspective. Your love for Islam is evident. Your posts here are always deep. Your love is needed here.

Mairo

Maryama
I have absolutely no idea what you mean. Do you?

If you mean I resort to doing what is required in Islam then yes, I do. I am Muslim.

And ladies & gentlemen, you can see why I stop coming to this website. None among you defend your brothers & sisters who have to pray in public.

Do not take it too hard brother Danyal. I think perhaps the member rivergum is not Muslim so should not necessarily be expected to be supportive of praying in public. I would say that most of us in the US.have found ourselves in similar situations. I try to pray in my home or office whenever possible, but that is not always possible. I try to be discrete when in public, as I am not a person who likes to draw attention to myself. I have resorted to stairwells from time to time but have also had to use parking lots. One has to make due with the situation you find yourself in at the time. When I lived in a Muslim country it was common to see car and bus loads of people praying on the side of the road when the prayer time comes while traveling. Being a part of this level of devotion is a moving experience.