If I read the Qur'an I am not a Muslim ...

rivergum

... apparently.

I have been recently informed, on another site, that if I read the Qur'an I am not a Muslim.

I find this extraordinary - or am I missing something?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

So then when are you are Muslim? Not that reading Qur'an actually makes you one. Many hindu, christians, atheist, jews and pagans read the Qur'an out of interest btw.

For you benefit, Muslims start by saying salam. If one doesn't act upon the Qur'anic verses one might as well be enlisted as a non muslim.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
I do not understand what do you mean by word "extraordinary"?

Of course that you can read Quran and not been Muslim, but that is not going to make any harm to us Muslims niether to Islam Alhamdulillah.

Muslim is the one who is submitting himselfe to Allah subhanahu wa teala, the one who is following Sunnah of Allahs Last Messanger Mohammed sallahu alayha wa salam,and the one who is fullfilling what Allah has order us and not doing what Allah has forbideen us.

From 'Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, it ahs been narrated that he said: "While we were sitting with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless with him and grant him peace, one day a man came up to us whose clothes were extremely white, whose hair was extremely black, upon whom traces of travelling could not be seen, and whom none of us knew, until he sat down close to the Prophet, may Allah bless with him and grant him peace, so that he rested his knees upon his knees and placed his two hands upon his thighs and said, 'Muhammad, tell me about Islam.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless with him and grant him peace, said, 'Islam is that you witness that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and you establish the prayer, and you give the Zakat, and you fast Ramadan, and you perform the hajj of the House if you are able to take a way to it.' He said, 'You have told the truth,' and we were amazed at him asking him and [then] telling him that he told the truth. He said, 'Tell me about iman.' He said, 'That you affirm Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day, and that you affirm the Decree, the good of it and the bad of it.' He said, 'You have told the truth.' He said, 'Tell me about ihsan.' He said, 'That you worship Allah as if you see Him, for if you don't see Him then truly He sees you.' He said, 'Tell me about the Hour.' He said, 'The one asked about it knows no more than the one asking.' He said, 'Then tell me about its tokens.' He said, 'That the female slave should give birth to her mistress, and you see poor, naked, barefoot shepherds of sheep and goats competing in making tall buildings.' He went away, and I remained some time. Then he asked, 'Umar, do you know who the questioner was?' I said, 'Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said, 'He was Jibril who came to you to teach you your deen'.( Muslim)

I hope Inshallah that this Hadeeth explain your question better.

strive-may-i

... apparently.
I have been recently informed, on another site, that if I read the Qur'an I am not a Muslim.
I find this extraordinary - or am I missing something?

... apparently, yes!
What makes one a Muslim, as per you? We lack information ...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You have read the Quran, but you are not a Muslim by birth nor have you converted to Islam, is this correct.

rivergum

Assalaam walaikum,

You have read the Quran, but you are not a Muslim by birth nor have you converted to Islam, is this correct.

What has that to do with reading the Qur'an?

From what I can understand (see OP) if one is a Muslim one does not read the Qur'an.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Everything.

A Muslim does not just read the Quran. We recite the Quran. We seek meaning on how to live our lives. We are responsible for our actions once we gain knowledge from the Quran. In daily life we make references to the Quran. It is the wellspring of our souls. Serious stuff.

I apologize for my poor wording. Anyone can gain solace from the Quran..but to read it and not bend the knee to Allah after reading the Quran is difficult. It is almost like rejecting a life-jacket tossed to you from a helicopter when you are almost drowning in an ocean.

Be patient and gain knowledge. We are all here to support you. And do not mind our heated discussions..it's all part of being Muslim.

Please let me welcome you here.

John Smith

That's more complicated than trying to become a Freemason.

And, what has any of that to do with reading the Qur'an?

Ah fella you dont want to be a freemason you are on to a loser from the off with that one!.

Have you read the Quran? what subjects interest you most?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
What has that to do with reading the Qur'an?

From what I can understand (see OP) if one is a Muslim one does not read the Qur'an.

This is what I meant when I asked for elaboration. Are you a Muslim? Like were you born one or did you revert to Islam?

The Quran is read by Muslims around the world. It is our Holy Book. Of course Muslims read the Quran. It is a guidance for us.

I don't understand why someone would tell you that Muslims don't read the Quran. Why wouldn't Muslims read the Quran?

Who does then?

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Assalamu alaikum, of course Muslims read the Qur'an. It was sent my Angel Jibreel alayhis salam to Prophet Muhammad sall'Allahu alayhi wa sallam for him and his ummah to read and recite and however you want to call it. The Qur'an also said's to follow the Sunnah of Rasool'Allah sall'Allahu alayhi wa sallam, so we follow that too insha'Allah. Because it teaches us how to pray ect ect.