How to Make French Toast

sompo

French toast is one of those “Happy Foods” that bring a smile to everyone’s face. It’s that perfect weekend breakfast food that just makes you feel like you’re celebrating.

You probably have the basic ingredients — eggs, milk, sugar, butter, and bread - sitting in your kitchen right now. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to your next shopping list and you’ll be ready to make French toast. (All sorts of different flavored extracts can be found near the spices/baking ingredients at the grocery store.)

Plain white bread is traditional, but you can also try using a braided bread (challah), croissants, whole-wheat and rye bread for French toast.

(For a quick review on measuring, check out my video on How to Measure Food)

The following ingredients are needed to make French toast:

2/3 cup of whole milk

4 large eggs

2 Tablespoons of sugar

1 teaspoon of vanilla

¼ teaspoon of salt

Using a shallow bowl whisk them together (or blend together with a fork).

The egg mixture should look like this before you start dunking the bread.

Dunk each slice of bread into the egg mixture just before you add the bread to the fry pan.

Make sure both sides are fully covered.

This step could take a little practice. Leave it too long and the bread disintegrates; not long enough, the bread doesn’t get coated.

Melt 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add however many slices of bread fit in the pan without squishing everything together.

Cook the bread until it is golden brown and then flip it, preferably with a spatula. Let the other side cook until golden brown as well.

Serve it immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar or maple syrup.

Enjoy!

P.S. I often get asked questions about the "Shelf Life" of foods. The USDA, a trusted source, offers some guidelines:

This general link to Food Storage and Preservation will lead you to several charts on food preservation including:

Food Storage

Home Canning

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Also,
Food Product Dating
which includes things like

A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale. You should buy the product before the date expires.

A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

A "Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. The date has been determined by the manufacturer of the product.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
:salam2:

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for sharing with us this good recepie MashAllah. :hijabi:

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum,

I knew this receipe since i was very little and i always make it, i just didnt knew it is called french toast. :)
Delicious indeed, thank you.

strive-may-i

I used to call it "Granny's toast", she made the yummiest ones! . May Almighty make her hereafter easier and give us all Jannah... Ameen

Thanks for that bit of information, I did not know its called 'French Toast'. Its a tasty healthy and more important quick and easy! One entire Ramlaan I had just this for Iftar (fast break). Kept me going till midnight!

Read some more about it, so will post here :)
French toast is a dish of bread soaked in eggs then fried.
When French toast is served as a sweet dish, milk, sugar, or cinnamon are also commonly added before frying, and then it may be topped with sugar, butter, fruit, syrup, or other items. When it is a savory dish, it is generally fried with a pinch of salt, and then served with a sauce such as ketchup or mayonnaise.

Etymology: French toast
The earliest known reference to French toast is in the Apicius, a collection of Latin recipes dating to the 4th or 5th century; the recipe mentions soaking in milk but not eggs (though the editor adds eggs) and gives it no special name, just Aliter Dulcia 'another sweet dish'.[1] There is a 14th-century German recipe under the name "Arme Ritter".[2] There are 15th-century English recipes for "pain perdu".[3] A 1660 recipe for "French Toasts" is different: toasted bread is soaked in wine, sugar, and orange juice.[4] A similar dish, suppe dorate, was popular in England during the Middle Ages, although the English might have learned it from the Normans, who had a dish called tostees dorees.[5]

Preparation
Slices of bread are soaked or dipped in mixture of beaten eggs and milk or cream. The slices of egg-coated bread are fried on both sides until they are browned and cooked through. Day-old bread is often recommended by chefs because stale bread will soak up more egg mixture without falling apart.[6]
The cooked slices are often topped with jam, butter, peanut butter, honey, Marmite, Vegemite, maple syrup, golden syrup, fruit syrup, molasses, apple sauce, beans, beef, lard, whipped cream, fruit, tomato ketchup (when sugar is not used), chocolate, sugar, yogurt, powdered sugar, marmalade, bacon, treacle, cheese (often with ham), ice cream, gravy, or various nuts such as pecans.

[1] Joseph Dommers Vehling, trans., Apicius: Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome, Book VII, chapter 13, recipe 296 full text at Gutenberg
[2] Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Deutsches Wörterbuch, quoting from the Buch von guter Spyse
[3] T. Austin, Two 15th-century Cookery-books, 1888, quoting a 1450 recipe, quoted in the Oxford English Dictionary
[4] R. May, The Accomplisht Cook VI 162, quoted in the Oxford English Dictionary s.v. "French", subentry "French toast"
[5] Brendan Koerner (09-16-2010). "Is French Toast Really French?". Slate.com. Retrieved 10-02-2010.
[6] Alton, Brown. "French Toast-Food Network".

Jazakallaahu Khairan