love and marriage

Mairo

Maryama
"What is more stable in Islam, a love marriage or an arranged marriage?"

Praise be to Allaah.

The issue of this marriage depends on the ruling on what came before it. If the love between the two parties did not transgress the limits set by Allaah or make them commit sin, then there is the hope that the marriage which results from this love will be more stable, because it came about as the result of the fact that each of them wanted to marry the other.

If a man feels some attraction towards a woman whom it is permissible for him to marry her, and vice versa, there is no answer to the problem except marriage. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “We do not think that there is anything better for those who love one another than marriage.” (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 1847; classed as saheeh by al-Busayri and by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 624)

Al-Sindi said, as noted in Haamish Sunan Ibn Maajah:

The phrase “We do not think that there is anything better for those who love one another than marriage” may be understood to refer to two or to more than two. What this means is that if there is love between two people, that love cannot be increased or made to last longer by anything like marriage. If there is marriage as well as that love, that love will increase and grow stronger every day.”

But if that marriage comes about as a result of an illicit love relationship, such as when they meet and are alone together and kiss one another, and other haraam actions, then it will never be stable, because they committed actions that go against sharee’ah and because they have built their lives on things that will have the effect of reducing blessings and support from Allaah, for sin is a major factor in reducing blessings, even though some people think, because of the Shaytaan’s whispers, that falling in love and doing haraam deeds makes marriage stronger.

Moreover, these illicit relationships that take place before marriage will be a cause to make each party doubtful about the other. The husband will think that his wife may possibly have a similar relationship with someone else, and even if he thinks it unlikely, he will still be troubled by the fact that his wife did do something wrong with him. And the same thoughts may occur to the wife too, and she will think that her husband could possibly have an affair with another woman, and even if she thinks it unlikely, she will still be troubled by the fact that her husband did something wrong with her.

So each partner will live in a state of doubt and suspicion, which will ruin their relationship sooner or later.

The husband may condemn his wife for having agreed to have a relationship with him before marriage, which will be upsetting for her, and this will cause their relationship to deteriorate.

Hence we think that if a marriage is based upon an illicit premarital relationship, it will most likely be unstable and will not be successful.

With regard to arranged marriages where the family chooses the partner, they are not all good and not all bad. If the family makes a good choice and the woman is religious and beautiful, and the husband likes her and wants to marry her, then there is the hope that their marriage will be stable and successful. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged the one who wants to get married to look at the woman. It was narrated from al-Mugheerah ibn Shu’bah that he proposed marriage to a woman, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Go and look at her, because that is more likely to create love between you.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1087; classed as hasan by al-Nasaa’i, 3235)

But if the family make a bad choice, or they make a good choice but the husband does not agree with it, then this marriage is most likely doomed to failure and instability, because the marriage that is based on lack of interest usually is not stable.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/23420

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum,
Hmm... Not to disagree but even if a pre-marritial relationship occurs and then the two get married, they may have done it in order to stop illicit relations in which case they are doing the right thing in order to avoid Allah's wrath and seek a blessed relationship... The intention will be to avoid haraam and so why would that result in ineminant doom?

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

I dont understand this last fragment:
But if the family make a bad choice, or they make a good choice but the husband does not agree with it, then this marriage is most likely doomed to failure and instability, because the marriage that is based on lack of interest usually is not stable.

Even in arranged marriages, the halal way is that both, potential wife or potential housband have to agree with each other, there is no forced marriage settled by parents, i know that is tradition many times but not religion.

We can read statistics or make suppositions, but in the end, Allah knows what is better for us. This hadiths are very nice, alhamdullilah:
If a man feels some attraction towards a woman whom it is permissible for him to marry her, and vice versa, there is no answer to the problem except marriage. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “We do not think that there is anything better for those who love one another than marriage.” (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 1847; classed as saheeh by al-Busayri and by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 624)

may Allah guide us toward succesful marriages.

:salam2:

Mairo

Maryama
Wa alaikum salaam,
Thank you all for your responses, I agree with them all. Although i understand and agree with much of what was addressed in the fatwa, i do personally know a couple who initially fell into a relationship before marriage, but then did get married soon after and Alhamdulilahi they are still happily married with many children nearly 20 years later. I also agree that unfortunately left out of the commentary about arranged marriages was the fact that if the woman is dissatisfied with the potential partner that will have the same effect as if the man is dissatisfied. In Islam it is clear that there should never be forced marriages, both parties must want to marry each other, and the best marriages are those filled with love, mutual kindness, and mercy. Alhamdulilahi for Islam.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Wa alaikum salaam,
Thank you all for your responses, I agree with them all. Although i understand and agree with much of what was addressed in the fatwa, i do personally know a couple who initially fell into a relationship before marriage, but then did get married soon after and Alhamdulilahi they are still happily married with many children nearly 20 years later. I also agree that unfortunately left out of the commentary about arranged marriages was the fact that if the woman is dissatisfied with the potential partner that will have the same effect as if the man is dissatisfied. In Islam it is clear that there should never be forced marriages, both parties must want to marry each other, and the best marriages are those filled with love, mutual kindness, and mercy. Alhamdulilahi for Islam.

Yes, Most of my friends have had love marriages, not illicit relations but there was communication before the marriage, and Alhamdulillah ALL of them are happily married, most with kids.
But I think its a good explanation or generalisation to the situation we see today where so many of these love marriages are ending in divorce so soon. It certainly has some truth, but not the do-all, end-all of it...
Also now divorce is actually SEEN as an option. before, well at least im my parents time, it wasnt even considered as an option because of culture. once in a marriage - you make it work - happy or not lest you should bring shame to the family....

Mairo

Maryama
^Salaam and thanks for your comment younglady, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, Most of my friends have had love marriages, not illicit relations but there was communication before the marriage, and Alhamdulillah ALL of them are happily married, most with kids.
But I think its a good explanation or generalisation to the situation we see today where so many of these love marriages are ending in divorce so soon. It certainly has some truth, but not the do-all, end-all of it...
Also now divorce is actually SEEN as an option. before, well at least im my parents time, it wasnt even considered as an option because of culture. once in a marriage - you make it work - happy or not lest you should bring shame to the family....

Wa alaikum Salaam dear sister,

Yes, I also fall into this category of finding love before marriage, without any illicit relationship. Alhamdulillah been married for 8 years and we intend to be together for the rest our our lives, inshaAllah. Experiencing love is wonderful and certainly one of the great blessings from Allah. However, in addition to some of the issues you have mentioned, I think what a lot of the younger generation doesn't realize is the fact that in order for love to grow it takes Work and deep commitment. It is not just about "meeting prince charming, riding off into the sunset, and living happily ever after", although that is part of it. However, I think when some people discover not everything is about that romantic notion they get discouraged and start looking elsewhere. Also problematic these days is the fact that there are so many distractions that are contributing to pulling apart the family unit and marriage. And there are those who focus so much on having a beautiful wedding ceremony, but don't give much thought to the fact that marriage is a life long commitment, not just one day.

Divorce has always been an option open to us, even though some cultures don't recognize that option, and even though it is one of the things that is permissible but disliked by Allah. It is my own personal opinion that if the couple doesn't experience, or isn't able to fix whatever problem may exist in order to experience, what is ultimately intended by marriage - love and support and mercy, etc - that it doesn't make sense to keep on in the marriage. But it is a serious decision that should only be investigated after exhausting any other avenues available to make the marriage functional again and performing Istikharah.

I pray everyone find their way to successful marriages, here and/or in the Hereafter.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Divorce is simply ugly. But, there are times when it is the only recourse. I strongly discourage it. Having been divorced twice; it takes everything out of you. And it is so true, Allah subhana wa taala does provide.

Marriage is such protection for women. And that is really what we need to discuss. We focus on women's rights. But, there is liberation for women in marriage. That one I could write a book on.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
It is not just about "meeting prince charming, riding off into the sunset, and living happily ever after",

AWWW! But i so believe in my little fairytale :)
I have heard a lot about this - thats its not always the princess and her prince, but I still believe that a little part of it is and should be! Mine is coming to me riding through the desert on a white horse, he will swoop me up and take me to his bedouin camp and we will live happily ever after as nomads in the sands of time :p Inshallah.
In all seriousness, a little part for me has to be a fairytale but yes, reality is not elusive. of course it takes a lot of hard work, i havent heard anyone say that its easy...
But my question is where do you draw the line? Where is the line of "this is what i have always wanted and i deserve to have what i want" and "ok, forget my dreams - I accept you"...
Because this is what I am struggling with as a single woman looking for a partner. shouldnt some of my fairytale come true??

Wish you all the happiness in your life Sister. May Allah always bless your marriage :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister...reality.

A man prancing around on a horse is not working to put food on the table.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister...reality.

A man prancing around on a horse is not working to put food on the table.

:wasalam:
HAHAH! Sister! he has a bow and arrow obviously! he is a hunter...
and he doesnt prance... he's a warrior :)
Let me dream.. for some time please?! :(

Precious Star

AWWW! But i so believe in my little fairytale :)
I have heard a lot about this - thats its not always the princess and her prince, but I still believe that a little part of it is and should be! Mine is coming to me riding through the desert on a white horse, he will swoop me up and take me to his bedouin camp and we will live happily ever after as nomads in the sands of time :p Inshallah.
In all seriousness, a little part for me has to be a fairytale but yes, reality is not elusive. of course it takes a lot of hard work, i havent heard anyone say that its easy...
But my question is where do you draw the line? Where is the line of "this is what i have always wanted and i deserve to have what i want" and "ok, forget my dreams - I accept you"...
Because this is what I am struggling with as a single woman looking for a partner. shouldnt some of my fairytale come true??

Wish you all the happiness in your life Sister. May Allah always bless your marriage :)

There are no such things as fairy tales. Life is harsh. I'm not saying that you should just marry anybody. I"m just saying that you won't get what you want. The decision you make after that is up to you, but please don't think that there is a Prince Charming just waiting to drop down from the sky.

Life does not work that way. Take it from someone who has lived life a little. There is no fairy tale sister. Life is about survival.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Come on Precious Star...don't do that.

Finding Light...enjoy yourself and have a little fun. Life is what you make it. It is more than survival.

Precious Star

Assalaam walaikum,
Life is what you make it. l.

"Life is what you make it"

Are you serious? What does that mean? You are given circumstnaces x, y and z. And you are stuck with those circumstances. Yes, you can make something of them, but if those circumstances do not include Prince Charming then you can't make him materialize.

If you are menopausal, you can't have babies.

If you do not meet men, you do not get married.

Please. Let's not sugar coat everything. Life is tough. A lot of young men and women want the sun, moon and stars, but they don't realize that they are not attainable.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Why Sister, would you say that I sugarcoat faith?

Is it not written salat and sabr. All those experiences, the heartaches, those times when comforting arms were nowhere to be found, what did the songwriter say " searching for a heart of gold and I'm growing old".
I never said it was easy. Nor is it easy at this particular moment. But it is still beautiful.

And with absolute certainty you make dua with each passing second...subtly..almost unaware..love knocks on the door. The heart of gold. The one.

The Believing brother, the confident slave of Allah, the righteous and correct one...well I say it has been worth every second of the wait, with all the roller coaster experiences we call life, its been worth every up and every down

So..allow the innocent sister the pleasure of seeking rainbows in the sunshine...why I'll even throw in a lollipop with a bubble gum center.

Mairo

Maryama
Salaam everyone, hope you are all well

Just to add a few more comments to the discussion. . . I think it is good for people to stay open-minded and open-hearted in life, as there are many times blessings come to us in various shapes and forms that are totally unexpected, at a times that are a complete surprise. Being receptive to these blessings makes all the struggle and suffering worth it. It says in the Quran if we have complete faith in Allah he will provide for us from sources we could never even imagine. This is absolutely true. But in order to witness blessings becoming realized and appreciate them - as Aapa pointed out, we must have faith, along with patience, endurance, and prayer.

Certainly we all must take the experiences that happen in our lifes and try to make the best that we can out of them, often requiring "turning lemons to lemonade". Sometimes the reality we come upon is not what we had ever anticipated, but we must trust in Allah. It certainly is wonderful to dream and witness the dreams become reality. For me I do consider that my husband is the answer to my prayers and my lifelong struggle, my dream, my hero, my night in shining armour, and all the rest of the fairy tale come true. But along with this are also the realities of day to day life to contend with, not everything you will encounter in life is smooth sailing. True love is deserving of deep commitment, a lot of effort and work, in order to continue to nourish it and have it flourish. I thank Allah that not only am I happily married, but that our relationship grows stronger with each passing day and our love continues to grow. Everyone has their own voyage to reach their mate, all completely different, so its hard to compare or say "this is the way it must be", when it is something different for everyone. If that makes any sense . . .

Above all the greatest blessing in life is Islam. Through it we are able to gain complete trust in Allah and understand the realities of our Creator, the Universe, and our own lives, allowing us to attain true happiness and satisfaction regardless of our station and circumstances, gains or losses. Islam and the example of the prophet, peace be upon him, gives us great guidance on how to attain successful marriages and families that we can all learn from.

Peace and best wishes to you all