Does a husband have the right to forbid niqab for his wife?

I.Iman

Salam aleikum! The question is: can a husband forbid his wife from wearing the niqab? Is he aloud to do that?
Only Proof, no personal opinion. Jazakallah kheir.

I.Iman

Jazakallah kheir! But if he forbids his wife, what should she do? And what if he follows the schoolars says it is not fard? Is his wife not bounded to follow the schoolars he is?
Jazakallah kheir!

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
it is against islam, so ofcourse he cant.

What is this? people passing their own rulings saying what is and isn't okay in Islaam on no evidence, with no back up of any scholarly opinion whatsoever?

Refrain from this in future please.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaykkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I am just gonna post a scholarly opinion on this, if that helps you :

Q 1: Should I obey my husband if he asks me to uncover my face in the presence of non-mahrams? Does this matter go under the saying that there is no obedience to the creature in disobedience to the Creator, taking into consideration the divergent views of the scholars as far as the ruling of covering the face is concerned? Am I allowed to uncover my face in the presence of my husband's relatives, or when opening the door for the man who reads the electricity or the gas meter, or when going out to the balcony to hang out the washed clothes, knowing that I do that while wearing the complete Hijab, but without covering my face?

(Part No. 17; Page No. 258)

A: It is Haram (prohibited) for the wife to obey her husband in matters which involve disobedience to Allah (Exalted be He), because there is no obedience to the creature in disobedience to the Creator. This involves uncovering her face before non-mahram men, whether from her or her husband relatives, or others inside the house or outside it, or in the previous cases mentioned. Furthermore, the Hijab is not Islamically acceptable unless it is complete and covering the whole body. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

Source: http://www.alifta.com/Fatawa/Fatwaprint.aspx?id=6522&BookID=7&sectionid=

Q 1: A young lady wants to wear Niqab (face veil), knowing that it is Fard (obligatory, based on a definitive text), but her parents refuse and tell her that her obedience to them is also a Fard that takes precedence over wearing Niqab. Are the parents right? Does this mean that she should abandon wearing Niqab? How could this be in accordance with the Messenger's saying, Anyone who turns away from my Sunnah is not one of my (followers). Moreover, even though Niqab is Wajib (obligatory, based on a speculative text), it is known that Fard is the same as Wajib according to the Four Schools of Jurisprudence, except for that of Imam Malik who maintained that Wajib comes in intermediate status between Fard and Nafilah (supererogatory). Kindly give us your Fatwa in this regard. If wearing Niqab is Fard, how can this girl abide by that obligation, while her father threatens to pull her Niqab off in public if he sees her wearing it. He takes this attitude because he thinks that wearing Niqab will jeopardize the girl's brothers.

A: It should be known that obedience to parents is obligatory provided that what they request is reasonable and approved by the Shari`ah (Islamic law). If obedience to parents leads to committing sins, then there should be no obedience to them. It is authentically reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, Truly, obedience is only in what is good. Therefore, the girl should stick to wearing the Niqab, and try to convince her parents by explaining the legal ruling, without being bothered by their threats. Furthermore, she should always seek Allah's Help and the help of the pious relatives within the family who can advise them, so that Allah may benefit them with such advice.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

Source: http://www.alifta.com/Fatawa/Fatwaprint.aspx?id=291&BookID=7&sectionid=

By the way, if you want any religious rulings, you can try search feature of alifta.com. You will get answers for most of your questions.

Baarakallahu feekum.

I.Iman

Jazakallah kheir! But since the scholars disagree wheter it is fard or Sunnah; should you listen to your husband if he says no ( he think it is not fard). He might also have a good reason for that. Or should his wife insist on having niqab and start an arguement?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Jazakallah kheir! But since the scholars disagree wheter it is fard or Sunnah; should you listen to your husband if he says no ( he think it is not fard). He might also have a good reason for that. Or should his wife insist on having niqab and start an arguement?

Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa baraakaatuh,

Ukht, it's about what you believe. If you belief it's obligatory, you should cover and not obey your husband, that's what I've understood from the scholars opinion on this one.