Islamophobia

What do think is the main reason behind islamophobia??

• Media promoting misconceptions about Islam/showing Islam in a negative way

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Inability of the Muslims to defend Islam/present the real picture of Islam/weak dawah system.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Muslims themselves are responsible for this.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 9/11 – the biggest reason.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

MuslimShadow

Assalamo alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu brothers and sisters

I am sick of reading everyday how we (muslims) are becoming victims of islamophobia.

It can happen to anyone.Even you.

So what do you think is the main reason behind islamophobia that is taking another level? Where does all of this hate comes from?

How can we deal with this??

You are more than welcome to share your opinions or views or personal experience.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
wa aleikum salam wa rahmatulahy wa barkatuh

So what do you think is the main reason behind islamophobia that is taking another level? Where does all of this hate comes from?

When humans forget about Allah, to love Him, to be thankfull to Him, to whorship Him in the forms that He comanded, forget about Hell and Heaven, the hearts become hard.
A hard heart is very easy for sheitan to play with, people become influenced and filled with illusion, the islam is made to look like something horrible and hard, start to fight against it, while the horrible things of this life are beautified in front of their eyes.
The media, the islam`s opponents, all hate grows from one place. The ilussion that only this life is worth living and people fighting for it against muslims.
This is my personal view dear sister based on my experience of life until now.

''These are they who have purchased error for guidance, so their commerce was profitless. And they were not guided. Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindled a fire; then, when it lighted all around him, Allâh took away their light and left them in darkness. (So) they could not see. They are deaf, dumb, and blind, so they return not (to the Right Path).'' Qur’an 2:16-18

Allah knows best.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

I went with not sure because almost all the reasons mentioned therein have a large effect on people's mind.

I believe shaytaan inspires his allies against believers: And indeed do the devils inspire their allies [among men] to dispute with you.Surat Al An'am interpretation of the meaning(6:121)

Media has also a large role in this,only yesterday I was watching documentary about inquisitions in Spain and how this bloody savage episode ethnic cleansing,has been portrayed in the world's history as heroic victory against diabolical Moors.The history of the world has been distorted,it is like you can do anything with it.You either chose bad events and portray them pertaining to a side or chose good ones.Black or white,without shades of gray that is how history reached us.So people's mind have been programmed to hate Islam by the arrogant people of the past.
In the present this mind programming continues with bombardment from the media circle,via many mental tactics,embedding hatred against Islam in people's minds.

Lack of knowledge about right aqeedah amongst muslims which results in wrong practices is also one thing that fuels this image of a monster and ignorant people as presented by the media.

I always quote this ayah,whose interpretation of the meaning is : And be not like those who forgot Allah , so He made them forget themselves.Those are the defiantly disobedient. Surat Al Hashr (59:19)
As sister Hajjer quoted that hearts become hard and we end up forgetting ourselves our humanity,kindness and mercy we posess for each other.Liking for goodness and despising evil.

Proper Ikhlaq is not being adopted and truth is already heavy on the hearts of people add harshness to it and you end up repelling people.So we need to arm ourselves as well.Some of our actions repell people from Islam as well,you might disagree with me on this but this is what I have experienced.A muslim is of best charecter who has mercy and justice in his heart and kindness,who speaks nothing but good words of kindness and justice,who cares for the rights of his neighbours,his parents,relatives,poor,animals,plants this Earth and Allah(His right to be worshipped alone),etc.How many of them do we see nowadays?This is a reminder for me before others.

Although there is a silver lining.Our Dawah may not be upto the mark but still the little amongst us who have right aqeedah and do dawah the right way,the result of people entering Islam due to their efforst is exponential when you look at christian or other missionaries who pump in mbillions of dollars with decimal results.

Inspite of all that Allah gives us glad tiding of dominance of Islam:

يُرِيدُونَ لِيُطْفِئُوا نُورَ اللَّهِ بِأَفْوَاهِهِمْ وَاللَّهُ مُتِمُّ نُورِهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْكَافِرُونَ
They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it.Surat As Saf[61:8]

:wasalam:

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

'' Non-Muslims even do not know that Allah (SWT) is not a deity worshiped by Muslims but the Lord of all that exists in this universe ". Why?.

Regards.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

I say it's our fault. "Islamophobia" was spread even in the Prophet:saw:'s time. They were calling him a magician, and a man who would led you astray, someone who brings discontent between a father and a son, a brother with his brother etc.

But Islam was spreading back then and it was "growing" in it's good image and all. This media consipracy thing is not related to 21st century or new. The Kuffar back then used their "media" even then. If anything is new, it's the unbelievable weakness of Muslims in being good, attractive examples. We don't follow our own deen and feel ashamed of it. We badmouth those who practice Islam. It's obvious those who conspire against us will win.

The problem isn't that they are evil, the problem is, those who are suppose to eliminate this evil, are not doing it.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

I say it's our fault. "Islamophobia" was spread even in the Prophet:saw:'s time. They were calling him a magician, and a man who would led you astray, someone who brings discontent between a father and a son, a brother with his brother etc.

But Islam was spreading back then and it was "growing" in it's good image and all. This media consipracy thing is not related to 21st century or new. The Kuffar back then used their "media" even then. If anything is new, it's the unbelievable weakness of Muslims in being good, attractive examples. We don't follow our own deen and feel ashamed of it. We badmouth those who practice Islam. It's obvious those who conspire against us will win.

The problem isn't that they are evil, the problem is, those who are suppose to eliminate this evil, are not doing it.
Wa-alaikum assalam wa rahmatullaah wa barakatuhuh,

I agree with you in part.

This dislike of Islaam has been there since it first arrived, falsehood will always oppose and be 'phobic' towards truth.

Muslims nowadays do lack love for their deen, some aspire to adopt the ways and traditions of those with no religion, but I don't think this is the reason for 'Islamophobia' - I dare say, people who assimilate to such a degree that they are bad examples of Muslims, they wouldn't necessarily experience hostility in the way those who do choose to follow Islaam properly, being the 'visible Muslims,' may experience day to day?

Perseveranze

It has existed since 1400 years ago. It was actually worst in the middle-ages than it is right now.

I mean, if you lived in the west in around 1200, you'd probably be burned to the stake for being a Muslim.

Reasons? The truth will always be opposed by the masses.

ATA95

I ♥ Allah (SWT)
Waalaikumsalam. One main problems that lie at the root of Islamophobia is the ignorant and ill educated people who base their views and opinions on what is in the media. In the media Muslims are shown as many things one being terrorists, so if an ignorant person sees this then they think that Muslims are terrorists.

As much of the responsibility it is on the Muslims to educate the ignorant, it is also up to the ignorant to educate themselves as you wouldn't ask a baker to fix your car, instead you'd go to a mechanic. Likewise with Islam you'd go to the source which is the Qur'an and Sunnah not the media. It's interesting to note that on a lecture I watched, I think it was by Sh. Yusuf Estes that of all the things the Prophet (SAW) was called by his enemies during his time, they never called him a terrorist.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Muslims nowadays do lack love for their deen, some aspire to adopt the ways and traditions of those with no religion, but I don't think this is the reason for 'Islamophobia' - I dare say, people who assimilate to such a degree that they are bad examples of Muslims, they wouldn't necessarily experience hostility in the way those who do choose to follow Islaam properly, being the 'visible Muslims,' may experience day to day?

I see the best way to deal with this problem is by being good Muslims not just in our worship and appearance but in our behaviour and speech. Would anyone accept Islam as eagerly as they did, had the prophet:saw: been half as rude, half as unforgiving and inhuman as we are? This is what I mean by being bad examples. If we are helping, forgiving and caring and start reaching out, things may actually change. Even I'm sacred of the very name of "taliban" and hate thier ways, but didn't Sister Ridley think different of them after she was captured by them.

I start hating on anyone (including my teachers) if they say a thing about niqaab. I can't wait to get a chance to tell them off. I see that this way I only call for more "hate" on my poor niqaab. We need to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah in the matters of Akhlaaq. That's what I believe.

If you took my mentioning of bad examples as the "liberal Muslims" even that way we "help" them in their dislike against Islam. If I were to say I'm a Muslim but I don't wear Hijaab and I go on and on about how hijaab is an absolute waste of space and that Islam isn't even really specific about its obligation. It "is" going to aid the "Islamophobes" hating on Hijaab, a part of our deen.

So it's us, really. I would have had another opinion if this "Islamophobia" didn't exist right from the begining. Shaytan is the main source, but when we talk about who took it to another level, then it's us. Err . . .My opinion. Feel free to disagree, anyone? *Smile*

MuslimShadow

Assalamo alaikum warahmatullah

Masha'ALLAH, All of you have raised excellent points.Great...

Following points are worth noting.

1.Islamophobia is not a new phenomena but do check this.See what they are saying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

2.Somehow we do are responsible.

3.As much of the responsibility it is on the Muslims to educate the ignorant, it is also up to the ignorant to educate themselves as you wouldn't ask a baker to fix your car, instead you'd go to a mechanic.(mentioned by brother ATA95)

We have focused only on broad aspects of islamophobia and it's cause.

I have a question in my mind.

Why would a normal non muslim would go ahead and abuse and assault a muslim as can be seen in workplaces, schools etc.??

Why does he/she consider us a threat??

Is it because they have been brainwashed to believe that we hold unacceptable ideas.??

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalamo alaikum warahmatullah

I have a question in my mind.

Why would a normal non muslim would go ahead and abuse and assault a muslim as can be seen in workplaces, schools etc.??

Why does he/she consider us a threat??

Is it because they have been brainwashed to believe that we hold unacceptable ideas.??

Wa 'alaikumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,
Allahu 'alam.
I don't know if all "normal" non muslims hate Islam,but some do.
I had my first experience of Islamophobia in my childhood,when I was in Class 6th. One of my classmate said something to me.I recall being puzzled and upset and angry,I had a big wrestling match with him after that : D
I suppose it was because of what he had heard from his family and surroundings and picked it up.
As far as my opinion is concerned,it is because of staying in ignorance,which stemmed from the image portrayed by the media.
They will project an image of a site of explosion and then side by side they will portray image of something related to Islam or muslim(like a picture of a group leader or it's label which is generally in arabic).They would use words like "radical Islamists" etc.This would embed a subconscious fear in people's mind with respect to Islam.
That is how it has always been people going on heresay and not wanting to know the truth.
In hellfire people who followed certain people who lead them there would blame their leaders and the leaders would say to them they should have used their brains.They would blame each other.

And [mention] when they will argue within the Fire, and the weak will say to those who had been arrogant, "Indeed, we were [only] your followers, so will you relieve us of a share of the Fire?"
Those who had been arrogant will say, "Indeed, all [of us] are in it. Indeed, Allah has judged between the servants."[40:47-48]

The Day their faces will be turned about in the Fire, they will say, "How we wish we had obeyed Allah and obeyed the Messenger."
And they will say, "Our Lord, indeed we obeyed our masters and our dignitaries, and they led us astray from the
way.
Our Lord, give them double the punishment and curse them with a great curse."​
[33:66-68]

[ Allah ] will say, "Enter among nations which had passed on before you of jinn and mankind into the Fire." Every time a nation enters, it will curse its sister until, when they have all overtaken one another therein, the last of them will say about the first of them "Our Lord, these had misled us, so give them a double punishment of the Fire. He will say, "For each is double, but you do not know."[7:38]

SubhanAllah just look at following verse;just the whole concept of Islamophobia,it's fate explained:

They will say, "Our Lord, whoever brought this upon us - increase for him double punishment in the Fire."
And they will say, "Why do we not see men whom we used to count among the worst?
Is it [because] we took them in ridicule, or has [our] vision turned away from them?"
[38:61-63]

Allahu Akbar!They considered muslims to be worst in their ignorance,which we see and hear everyday in the media.Thus in their ignorance hating,ridiculing and saying bad words to muslims and Islam.
Ignorance leads to a fear of the unknown.Knowledge is empowering,hence to conquer this fear people who abhor Islam and fear it must come out and explore what Islam really is about on their own and asking the experts not the critics.It is for their own best.​

Ershad

Walaikkum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Just intended to pen down some of my thoughts regarding this. I hope this will be a very good reminder for myself (First!) and also, others. Also, most parts of my post is relevant to those of us living in a non-muslim country.

It is true that media potrays us negatively and wrongly, sometime out of context and exagerrated. But, I would like to say it is because we (some sections of muslims) have given them a reason to do so. There is really something wrong with the type of Dawa'h some people do. For example, some call Jews as pigs or calling for homosexuals to be murdered or adulterers to be murdered[i.e. in a non-muslim country without any Islamic govt.]. Is this how the Prophets of Islam (Peace be upon all of them) did their dawah? No, rather they called to Islam and Tawheed with patience and kindness. Sometimes, by our attitude, we make people run away from Islam. Not just non-muslims, even the muslims who don't practice properly and when we try to enjoin them upon goodness, they run away because of the manner we call them. It reminds me of a hadith

Narrated by Anas bin Malik

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) said, "Facilitate things to people (concerning religious matters), and do not make it hard for them and give them good tidings and do not make them run away (from Islam)."

Most of the time, we are busy measuring or judging others. We are strict and judgemental about others. But, when it comes to us, we find excuses and very lenient. We hesitate to forgive fellow muslims but we easily forgive ourselves and forget our mistakes. We have islam on our tongues, but the heart is somewhere else. Maybe we should spend some time pondering about ourselves and correcting ourselves.

Secondly, Islam has legislated rights for everyone. Rights for parents, children, relatives, fellow muslims, animals, rulers and even non-muslims. When you give the everyone the right they are entitled to, you will get a better treatment from them by the will of Allah. Non-muslims even have rights, they don't deserve to be called dogs or any other derogatory terms. When we do that, they start hating us and since we represent islam, they also start hating islam. We have to be concious all the time that we are representing islam (or the non-muslims perceive so) in every action of ours. This applies even when we are in masjids or talking with fellow muslims. We see news of secret agents posing as muslims infiltrating youth muslim group to talk with them and extract information of what we speak about. Sometimes, some youths talk bad about non-muslims in derogatory manner within themselves and when they interact with the non-muslims, they are all kind and good, i.e. two faced. And when it is exposed, it is all over the news and they label that all muslims want to murder jews, homosexuals, and adulterers. So, that means we should be the same truthful muslims everywhere. We shouldn't be shy to tell people what the Qur'an and Sunnah says. Of course, it doesn't call for murder of jews, homosexuals or adulterers. So, when even some muslims says something like that, we should correct them and tell them, this is not from Islam. We shouldn't hide the truth. Also, while speaking, we should speak not only with knowledge but also, with wisdom. This is the advice I mostly get from Scholars regarding Dawa'h. If you talk harsh with people, they will not agree because they don't like your manners, they wont listen to your words. But, when you talk to them with kindness, they will start to reason.

Most of things I have said above is inspired from Shaykh Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee who said there are two important things for the rectification of our condition: Tasfiya and Tarbiya. (Purification and Education). I will post parts of it here :

From Fiqhul-Waaqi', pp. 49-51

Therefore, the key to a return of the glory of Islaam is:

Implementation of beneficial knowledge and establishing righteous and correct actions, and this is a very great affair with the Muslims cannot reach, except through the methodology (manhaj) of tasfiyah (purification and correction) and tarbiyah (education and cultivation). These being two very great obligations. By the first of these (i.e. tasfiyah), the following is intended:

1.. Purifying the Islamic Aqeedah from that which is alien to it, such as shirk, ta'teel, ta`weel, refusing authentic ahaadeeth, because they are connected to matters of 'aqeedah, and their like.

2.. Purifying the Islamic fiqh from erroneous judgements which are contrary to the Qur`aan and the Sunnah, freeing the minds from the fetters of blind-following and the darkness of sectarianism and party spirit.

3. Purifying the books of tafseer, fiqh and raqaa'iq (matters concerning the heart) and other than that from ahadeeth that are weak and fabricated, or the unsupported narrations from the people of the Book, and the reprehensible narrations.

As regards the second obligation (i.e. tarbiyah), then by it I mean: cultivating the young generation upon this Islaam, purified from all that we have mentioned, giving to them a correct Islamic education from the start - without any influence from the disbelieving western education. There is no doubt that bringing these two obligations about requires huge efforts and sincere cooperation between all Muslims, individuals and groups, from all those who are truly concerned with establishing the desired Islamic society, each one working in his own field and specialty."

Correct knowledge and correct manners - That is the key. Saying is easy, I know. But, that should be our Jihad. We should be in a constant process of cleansing ourselves and keeping ourselves in check with regard to manners.

When we do this, Allah will give victory to us and rectify our affairs and no one can harm us as Shaykh Al- Albaane quoted as apparent meaning of the Ayah : Allah says:
{O you who believe! Take care of your own selves. Those who are astray cannot harm you if you follow guidance.} [Aal Imraan: 105]

I hope this benefits all. Whatever I said correct is from Allah and whatever is wrong is from me and Shaytaan.

Btw, I recommend everyone to read this book - Tasfiya & Tarbiya :purification & Cultivation and the Need Muslims Have for Them by Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaani

Wassalamu Alaikkum

Ershad

Sorry, I didn't read the previous posts before posting. Seems like Brother Kashif and Sister Seeking had covered most of things I said.. lol..

Jazaakallahu khayran.

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
I found that the media generally covers extremists mostly. If the only times that people hear about Islam are when X member of the Taliban is killed or when person Y does an "honor" killing, the negative perception of Muslims is inevitable. In a nutshell, people are conditioned by the media to think that extreme is the norm and that normal is rare.

I wish 9/11 never happened. We went from being anonymous to public enemy #1.

Shak78

Here is my two cents on it for what it's worth.

1.) Yes the media does play a part in the negative attitude about Islam, those who believe everything they read/hear/watch are vulnerable to this type of brainwashing which is unfortunate they can not or refuse to think for themselves.

2.) The picture of Islam is not helped by Muslims who do not practice the deen correctly or distort Islam to thier own purposes. Things that are un-Islamic like honor killings, and some practices in the Middle East are portrayed as Islamic when they are not and Muslims do nothing to dispel this. There are some Muslims who are Muslim in name only and do nothing to help portray real Islam.

3.) See point two

4.) I don't believe 9-11 has been all that harmful to Muslims as its been over 10 years now and Islamiphobia is worse now then it was then.

5.) Of course things like tough economic climates, immigration ect all play a part but its not just Muslims that are targeted, any immigrants or people who don't look "insert country name here" can be subjected to this.