Some Mistakes done in Du’aa – Dr Saleh as Saleh

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I found this article useful, hence sharing with you all.

Mistakes in Du'aa

By Dr Saleh as Saleh (rahimahullah)

Some mistakes:

1. Du'aa containing aspects of shirk in worship (i.e invoking others or other along with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala).

'O young man, I am going to teach you some words: Be mindful of Allah, and He will be mindful of you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him before you. When you ask, ask Allah. When you wish to seek help, seek help from Allah. Remember that if all the people come together to bring you benefit they cannot benefit you except what Allah has written. On the other hand, if they come together to cause (you) any harm they will not be able to do it except for what Allah has written. The pens have been laid aside, and the scrolls have dried.'
(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi who declared it Hasan Sahih).

2. Forbidden types of tawassul

That he makes tawassul to Allaah in his du`aa by the honour of the Prophet or his sanctity, or his blessing, or by the honour of those besides him from the Saaliheen, or their sanctity or their right or their blessing, so he says, by way of example, "O Allaah, by the honour of your Prophet, or his sanctity, or his blessing, give me wealth and offspring or enter me into Paradise and save me from the Fire", then he is not a Mushrik with the major shirk which expels him from Islaam, but it is forbidden in order to close the means (leading) to Shirk and in order to distance a Muslim from doing anything that leads towards Shirk. And there is no doubt that tawassul through the honour of the Prophets and righteous is one of the means of Shirk, that eventually lead to it after the passing of days (i.e. time), according to what has been indicated by (practical) experience and what the reality testifies to... (Fataawaa Lajnah ad-Daa'imah, (1/338).

3. Dua asking for Death

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,

"No one should wish death for any affliction that has befallen him. If he finds his situation unbearable, let him pray: "Allahumma ahyini ma kanati al-hayatu khayran li wa tawaffani ma kanat al-wafatu khayran li (O Allah, grant me life if life is good for me, and grant me death if death is good for me)." (Muslim)

4. Dua to Hasten the punishmentin this life to save punishment in the hereafter,

Imam Ahmad reported that Anas said,

“Allah’s Messenger visited a Muslim man who had become as weak as a sick small bird. Allah’s Messenger said to him, `Were you asking or supplicating to Allah about something’ He said, `Yes. I used to say: O Allah! Whatever punishment you saved for me in the Hereafter, give it to me in this life.’ Allah’s Messenger said:

All praise is due to Allah! You cannot bear it -or stand it-. You should have said: Our Lord! Give us in this world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the torment of the Fire!

The man began reciting this Du`a and he was cured.” Muslim also recorded it.

5. Invoke for something fobidden or a sin,

for e.g, asking Allaah to make some one as drug addict or asking Allaah that someone to die as kafir e.t.c

6. Severing ties of kinship,

7. As a way of testing Allah's Power, response etc,

8. Abandoning du'aa due to despair

'The servant's du'a will be answered provided he does not ask for what is sinful or for the breaking off of relations, and also if he does not show impatience.' He was asked, 'O Messenger of Allah, what is impatience?' And he replied, 'That the servant says: "I invoked, but I do not think it (my invocation) was answered", and he becomes disappointed and abandons du'a.' (Narrated by Muslim in his "Sahih" from Abu Hurairah).

9. Excessiveness in raising voice

'Be kind to yourselves for you are not calling upon One who is deaf or absent. You are calling upon One who is All-Hearing and All-Seeing.' (Bukhari & Muslim reported it from Abu Musa).

10. You should'nt ask Allah to make His decree that is bad for you, easy for you but rather Allah should ward it off.

11. Conditioning the du'aa on the mashee'ah

Ask with absolute resolve, and believe with certainty that your du'a will be answered. The Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: 'When one of you makes du'a he should not say, 'O Allah, forgive me if You wish, have mercy on me if you wish, give me provision if you wish,' but he should ask with resolve because he does what he likes; no one can force Him.' (Bukhari)

The Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa sallam) also said: 'Ask Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala when you are sure of His response, and remember that Allah does not accept the du'a of the unmindful and neglect heart.' (Declared Hasan by Sheikh Al-Albani in "Silsilah al-Ahadith Al-Sahihah" no 594)

12. Invoke Allah against oneself, property, wealth or family :

Jabir (radhiAllahu 'anhu) said the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

'Do not make du'a against yourself, nor make du'a against your children, nor your property, for your du'a may coincide with the time when Allah grants all supplication, and your du'a might be granted (and cause you harm).' (Muslim).

Source:
http://understand-islam.net/site/in...and-rulings&catid=121:audio-salaah&Itemid=112

Baarakallahu feekum

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It has to be simple. You have to believe 100% that He, the Majestic, the Hearer, Absoulte Love is True to His Word..because He is the Truth.

No matter what call upon Him. I do know that their are times I have called upon Him 24/7. And He has responded 24/7 360. I know that. I have lived it.

What we often forget is the joy of making dua. It is a powerful state. It changes the energy level in a room. There is a physical change.

I pray InshaAllah, brother, you can post on the joyful aspect of dua.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Just the opposite. To sever is to cut. We are encouraged to hold firm to brotherhood and family.

elqouds2020

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
شكرا لك على هذا اموضوع حبب لو تضيف الأحديث بالعربية و شكرا.

Ash76

It is said nothing change's a person's destiny but dua alone. Pondering upon this, just think how much an unwavering dua said in earnest is loved by Almightly Allah? One should NEVER fall for the trick of shaitan who will, time and time again, make you believe you are worthless due to your excessive sinning and that Allah will never grant your duas, but don't forget who you are... you are the slave of the King of Kings - Allah. Don't you think Allah will grant your sincerest dua even though you may be the worst of believers in the whole universe, when He accepted the dua of shaitan to be given respite until the Day of Judgement to lead the believers astray and into Hell with him, even though he had just openly disobeyed Allah? Remember Allah even accepted the dua of Fir'awn (when he claimed Tawheed for himself - worst of the sins associated with Shirk) when his followers said to him "we believe in you as God if you can command the skies to rain" and he went into the jungle in his rags and made his sincere dua to Allah to make it rain and it rained. So for us the doors of dua are wide open, we just need to BELIEVE.

Precious Star

It is said nothing change's a person's destiny but dua alone. ..Don't you think Allah will grant your sincerest dua even though you may be the worst of believers in the whole universe,

really? Even if you are the worst of believers?

Anyway, I think there is a proviso that must be added to the above. The granting of dua may not be in this life. Look, we've all made sincere dua for things that never materialized. My friend's mother has cancer that is now terminal. I have another friend who has been married for so many years and everyone is praying that she have children, but it is now pretty late in the game because she is in her mid-40s.

Our duas are not always granted. I, too, have often prayed 24/7 for certain things....literally....but unlike Aapa I have not been so lucky. There are no formulas. No "if/then" equations.

But if we are lucky enough to go to Heaven, our duas might be waiting for us.

Ershad

Anyway, I think there is a proviso that must be added to the above. The granting of dua may not be in this life. Look, we've all made sincere dua for things that never materialized. My friend's mother has cancer that is now terminal. I have another friend who has been married for so many years and everyone is praying that she have children, but it is now pretty late in the game because she is in her mid-40s.

Our duas are not always granted. I, too, have often prayed 24/7 for certain things....literally....but unlike Aapa I have not been so lucky. There are no formulas. No "if/then" equations.

But if we are lucky enough to go to Heaven, our duas might be waiting for us.

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

In fact, you should understand, the worst of disbelievers and the most famous one, Iblees, made du'a to Allah that he be left alone and reprieve him till the day of Judgement. And Allah accepted it. Then what about the believers? We, often underestimate the power of du'a and stop doing it or believing in it. From, your statement I feel like you have given up hope in Allah. And you make du'a without hope. That is not how du'a is made and you might want to seriously consider changing your intentions. Allah wants his worshippers to make du'a to him constantly and he is ready and eager to provide. Moreover, if something bad happens to you, you might consider it bad but you know not, Whatever Allah decrees for a person is good for him. It might be a trial or test, that helps him strengthen his faith or it might be something to prevent a bigger trouble. Allah is the most wise and he knows things that you know not. If you want to know, why your supplication is not answered, here is an advice and you might want to check if there is anything wrong:

Why is My Supplication Not Answered?

By the Noble Scholar, Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-’Uthaymeen [1]

Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa war-Rasaa‘il (no. 155)

[Q]: ‘Allaah says: ‘‘And your Lord says: Call upon Me and I will, respond to your supplication.’’ [Soorah Ghaafir 40:60] So why is it that a person’s du’aa (supplication) is sometimes unanswered?’

[A]: ‘‘All praise is due to Allaah, Lord of the worlds. May the Prayers and Peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad, and upon his Family and his Companions. I ask Allaah for the ability to be correct in belief, speech and actions, for myself and for my brothers.

Allaah says:

‘‘And your Lord says: Call upon Me and I will respond to your supplication. Verily those who are too arrogant to worship Me will, enter Hell in humiliation.’’ [Soorah Ghaafir 40:60]

The questioner stated that he did indeed make du’aa (supplication) to Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - but it was not answered by Allaah. So he is in doubt with respect to this noble aayah (verse), in which Allaah promises to answer the one who supplicates to Him, and indeed Allaah - the Most Perfect - never breaks His promise.

So the clarification of this is that there are certain conditions that need to be fulfilled in order for a supplication to be answered. These conditions are:

Firstly: Sincerity to Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic. That is to say, one must be sincere in his du’aa (supplication), so he turns to Allaah - the One free from all imperfections with an attentive heart, being truthful in his turning to Him, knowing that Allaah - the Most Perfect, the Most High - is capable of answering his du’aa (supplication) and hoping that the du’aa will be answered.

Secondly:
During du’aa, the caller should feel that he is in need of Allaah - the Most Perfect, the Most High – in fact in dire need; and that only Allaah alone answers the supplication of the one in distress and the One who removes evil.

Thirdly:
That the one making du’aa should refrain from haraam (unlawful) matters, as this acts as a barrier between the person and his du’aa (supplication) being answered - as has been established in the authentic hadeeth, from the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) who said: ‘‘Indeed Allaah - the Most High -is good and accepts only that which is good. Allaah has ordered the Believers to do that which He commanded the Messengers. Allaah - the Most High -has said:

‘‘O you Messengers! Eat of the good things and do righteous actions.’’ [Sooratul-Mu‘minoon 3:51 ]

And Allaah - the Most High - says:

‘‘O you who Believe! Eat of the good things wherewith We have provided you. ’’ [Sooratul-Baqarah 2:172]

Then he mentioned (the case of) a man who, having journeyed far is dishevelled and dusty and who spreads out his bands to the sky (saying): ‘O Lord! O Lord,’ whilst his food is unlawful, his drink unlawful and he is nourished unlawfully. So how can he be answered!’ [2] So the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) explained the un-likelihood that this person’s du’aa would be answered, even after fulfilling the apparent factors which aid the du’aa being answered. The apparent factors being:

: Raising ones’ hands towards the sky, meaning towards Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - since Allaah is above the heavens, above His ’Arsh (Throne). Extending the hands out towards Allaah -the Mighty and Majestic - is amongst the causes of du’aa being responded to, as is shown in the narration from the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) that he said: ‘‘Indeed your Lord is Alive, Most generous. He feels shy that when his servant raises his bands towards Him, calling upon Him, that He should return him empty, having nothing.’’[3]

[ii]: This man called upon Allaah - the Most High - using the name Rabb (Lord). Seeking tawassul (the means of nearness to Allaah) with this name is also regarded as one of the causes for du’aa to be responded to, since the Rabb is the Creator, the Owner, the Governor of all affairs - and the reigns of the Heavens and the earth are in His Hands. Due to this, you will find that most of the supplications made in the Noble Qur‘aan are by this name:

‘‘Our Lord! We have heard the call of one calling us to faith: ‘Believe you in the Lord,’ and we have believed. Our Lord! Forgive us our sins, and remit from us our evil deeds, and take to Yourself our souls in the company of the righteous. Our Lord! Grant us what You did promise unto us through Your Messengers, and do not disgrace us on the Day of judgement, for You never break Your promise. And their Lord has accepted of them, and answered them: Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you, whether male or female.’’ [Soorah Aal-'lmraan 3:193-195]

So tawassul (seeking the means of nearness to Allaah) by this name is one of the causes for the du’aa to be responded to.

[iii]: This man was a traveller, and journeying is often a cause for du’aa to be responded to, because a person feels more in need of Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - when travelling, than when a person is resident with his family. He was dusty and dishevelled, seeming very insignificant in himself, as if the most important thing to him was to implore Allaah and to call upon Him - in any condition he may be - whether dusty and dishevelled, or in ease and oppulance. Being dusty and dishevelled is also instrumental, like in the hadeeth attributed to the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) in which he said: Indeed Allaah boasts to the people of the Heaven about the people standing at ’Arafah, saying: ‘‘Look at My servants who have come to Me dusty and dishevelled.’’ [4] However, these factors did not bring about anything, because his food, his nourishment and his clothing were all haraam (unlawful). So the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) remarked: ‘‘So how can he be answered!’’

Therefore, if these conditions are not satisfied, then the question concerning the du’aa (supplication) being answered will seem distant. However, if the conditions are satisfied and the one supplicating is still not answered, then this is due to a wisdom which Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - knows, and the one supplicating does not know what this wisdom is; and maybe that you like a thing and it is bad for you.

So when these conditions are fulfilled and the one supplicating is not answered, then either he has been protected from an evil which is greater than what he has asked for, or Allaah stores it for him until the Day of Resurrection, and he then gets a greater reward. This is so, because the one who makes du’aa - calling upon Allaah alone, fulfilling the conditions and not being answered, but rather being saved from a greater evil - is in the position of having carried out the causes yet has been prevented from being answered, and therefore has a two-fold reward. One reward for making du’aa (supplication), and another reward for bearing the trial of not being answered. So that which is greater and more complete is stored for him with Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic.

Also of importance is that the one supplicating should not express dissatisfaction if his du’aa is apparently not being answered, for this action in itself is a reason for the du’aa not being answered - as the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘‘A servants du’aa continues to be answered as long as be does not ask for anything sinful or breaking the ties of relations, and as long as be does not become impatient.’’ It was said: How does one become impatient O Messenger of Allaah? He said: ‘‘He says: I have supplicated, I have supplicated, yet it has not been answered.’’ [5] He therefore becomes dispondant and abandons supplicating. So it is not befitting that the one supplicating should become impatient about being answered, then become disappointed and dispondant, and thereby abandon making du’aa. Rather, one should call upon Allaah, since every du’aa you make to Allaah is an act of worship, which brings you closer to Him and increases your reward.

So my brother, you should take to making du’aa (supplication) in all affairs, be it general or specific, in difficulty or in ease. And if it was that supplication was only a means of worshipping Allaah - the One free from all imperfections, the Most High - then that would be sufficient. So it is more befitting that a person strives in this - and with Allaah lies the success and the ability.’’

Footnotes:
[1] Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa war-Rasaa‘il (no. 155)
[2] Related by Muslim (no. 1015) from Aboo Hurayrah (radiyallaahu ’anhu)
[3] Saheeh: Related by Ahmad (5/438) and Aboo Daawood (no. 1488). It was authenticated by al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar in Fathul-Baaree (11/143).
[4] Saheeh: Related by Ibn Hibbaan (no. 1006), from ’Abdullaah Ibn ’Amr (radiyallaahu ’anhu). It was authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaanee in Saheehul-Jaami’ (no. 1868).
[5] Related by al-Bukhaaree (11/140) and Muslim (no. 2735), from Aboo Hurayrah (radiyallaahu ’anhu)

And you might want to read the part I made bigger very carefully.

May Allah give you good.

Baarakallahu feekum.

*pink niqaabi*

Nice post maasha'allah, i would also like to add that one should not make it a ritual to raise their hands when making duaa after the fard salat, this is a bidah and so so common. And also wiping the hands over the face after making duaa is a bidah.

We, as humans are so impatient in waiting to get our duaas answered, and no matter how many times i tell myself to be patient i struggle subhanallah but i heard Murtaza Khan quoting from a scholar who said that the duaas that a believer makes are like fruits ripening above him, just waiting to drop down to him subhanallah.

And my strongest, strongest advice which must be emphasised because it is so powerful and quick at getting your duaas answered is PRAY QIYAM AL LAYL!!! There is something amazing about duaas getting answered so quickly when you pray it.

One more thing i would like to add, which i take from The Legacy of The Prophet by Ibn Rajab Al-Hanbali (amazing book maasha'allah) is:

"Allah loves those who are earnest and persistant in supplication" [hasan]

"Whoever wants Allah to answer him in times of hardship should frequently invoke Him in times of ease." [Tirmidhi]

Salman Al-Farisi said: "If a man is given to supplicating in times of ease and is then faced with hardship, and supplicates to Allah, Mighty and Magnificent, the Angels say, "This is a familiar voice..." and intercede for him. If he is not given to supplicating in times of ease, and is then faced with hardship and supplicates to Allah, Mighty and Magnificent, the Angels will say, "This is an unfamiliar voice..." and they will not intercede for him."

So its not just about calling upon Allah when something bad afflicts us, we should call upon Him frequently in times of hardsjip and ease.

Ash76

Yes as per the example provided of Shaitain (Ibless) and Fir'awn (Pharoah). I dont think this point needs analysing to the 'nth' as it should be Subhanallah enough evidence for any believer regarding Allah's granting even to the worse of creation, as long as they have 100% conviction in His responsive to a sincere prayer. Never mind dua (which is one of the most effective tools for being granted one's request), Allah As-Sami (The Hearer of All) listens to the purest of intentions that is felt in the heart. Read the story of the man who killed 99 people.

For every sad story you can give me about prayers not being answered, I can give you 10 amazing ones about prayers being answered, so please don't tell me there are no formulas of ifs/ thens/ buts/ maybes, etc because I am telling you (and a lot of people on here will testify to this) that as long as you meet the criteria for making prayer your dua's will be responded to sooner or later.

When telling myself that nothing is impossible in prayer, I often remind myself of the accounts of a pious family friend whose son was brain damaged in a bicycle accident. The doctor's gave him no chance of recovery and advised best thing to do was switch off the life support machine. The sister recounts her heart-wrenching story of sitting on her own by the son's bedside for month after month, whilst the son was still unconscious, fervently frequently, patiently supplicating to Allah whilst in a state of daily voluntary fasting to make him stand up again and make the rest of the world bear witness of His Might and Power. Alhamdolillah, the son recovered. Even though not being 100% to how he was before the accident, the brother has a decent quality of life and is fairly independent. I see him Mashallah going to pray Salah at the Masjid and dropping his nephew/ niece to Madrassah.

I do agree though that if you do not see the fruition of the dua in this world, you definitely will see it in the hereafter. I recall a hadith that in the hereafter in Jannah, people will be shown amazing things and be told here are the fruition of the things you asked for in the dunya but did not get. The believers will say "Ya Allah if I knew, I wished that you acccepted none of my duas in the world!"

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

If we take time to reflect on the unfolding of our lives we realize often that dua has been answered. Perhaps not in the exact way we desired, but in the end a way that is better for us.

Besides, we have to dhikr when we are not supplicating. In the empty times of our day. We have to be Believers 24/7. In all of actions.

We can not be Friday Muslims, or Ramadan Muslims, or I am just going to cover when I come into the masjid Muslim. It has to be 24/7.

Ash76

i would also like to add that one should not make it a ritual to raise their hands when making duaa after the fard salat, this is a bidah and so so common. And also wiping the hands over the face after making duaa is a bidah.

So are you saying one should not raise hands in dua per se or just for the dua's after Fardh Salah?

Please enlighten us why this and wiping over the face is bidah when the following hadith's tells us otherwise.

Narrated Salman al-Farsi: The Prophet (SAW) said: Your Lord is munificent and generous, and is ashamed to turn away empty the hands of His servant when he raises them to Him. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1483)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: Ikrimah quoted Ibn Abbas as saying: When asking for something you should raise your hands opposite to your shoulders; when asking for forgiveness you should point with one finger; and when making an earnest supplication you should spread out both your hands. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1484)

Narrated Yazid ibn Sa'id al-Kindi: When the Prophet (SAW) made supplication (to Allah) he would raise his hands and wipe his face with his hands. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1487)

Allah has appointed fixed times of when certain dua's are accepted over others with Dua after Fardh Salah being one of them so I am astounding to hearing this is Bidah. As I have stated in a previous thread there is a tendency these days to rush towards classing everything as Bidah, so one needs to ponder, think logically, look hard and find evidence of supporting this before making such bold statements.

PS: Anything correct in what I have said is from Allah alone and any misintepretation in what I have said is from me alone so may Allah forgive me for this (Ameen!).

Ayyub

Assalamou A'alaikoum wa Rahamtullahi Wa Barakatuh
So are you saying one should not raise hands in dua per se or just for the dua's after Fardh Salah?

Please enlighten us why this and wiping over the face is bidah when the following hadith's tells us otherwise.

Narrated Salman al-Farsi: The Prophet (SAW) said: Your Lord is munificent and generous, and is ashamed to turn away empty the hands of His servant when he raises them to Him. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1483)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: Ikrimah quoted Ibn Abbas as saying: When asking for something you should raise your hands opposite to your shoulders; when asking for forgiveness you should point with one finger; and when making an earnest supplication you should spread out both your hands. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1484)

Narrated Yazid ibn Sa'id al-Kindi: When the Prophet (SAW) made supplication (to Allah) he would raise his hands and wipe his face with his hands. (Abu Dawud - Book 8, Number 1487)

Allah has appointed fixed times of when certain dua's are accepted over others with Dua after Fardh Salah being one of them so I am astounding to hearing this is Bidah. As I have stated in a previous thread there is a tendency these days to rush towards classing everything as Bidah, so one needs to ponder, think logically, look hard and find evidence of supporting this before making such bold statements.

PS: Anything correct in what I have said is from Allah alone and any misintepretation in what I have said is from me alone so may Allah forgive me for this (Ameen!).
Raising the hands in supplication after the prayer
Question:

Raising the hands in duaa (supplication) after the 5 prayers ý is the raising of them established from the Prophet sal Allaahu alaiyhi wa sallam or not? And if it is not established, then is it permissible to raise them after the 5 prayers or not?
Answer:

It is not established from the Prophet (sal Allaahu alaiyhi wa sallam) as far as we know that he raised his hands in duaa after the salaam in the obligatory prayers ý and to raise them after the salaam in the obligatory prayer is in opposition to the Sunnah.

And with Allaah is the tawfeeq. And may peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and his Companions.

Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts
Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz
Shaykh `Abdullah bin Ghudayaan
Shaykh `Abdullaah bin Qu`ood
Shaykh `Abdur-Razzaaq al-`Afeefee
Question 4 from fatwa 5565 104 volume 7 Fataawa of the Permanent Committee
Translated by Abu Abdir Rahmaan Nasser ibn Najam

Source: http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=660

Question:

Is there any proof from the Sunnah about wiping the face after making supplication?
Answer:

As for the raising of the hands during the supplication, then there are many authentic ahaadeeth which have come relating to that, and as for the wiping of the face; then there are two hadeeth pertaining to it, but neither of them establishes clear proof for it.

Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah
Mukhtasar al-Fataawaa al-Misriyyah, page 118

There is nothing wrong in invoking Allah after taslim specifically after finishing Adhkar (invocations) of Salah; because it is authentically reported in some Hadiths that it is permissible to do so. The hands should not be raised while invoking Allah after the Faridah (obligatory prayer) but there is nothing wrong with doing this after the Nafilah.
Permanent Committee Fatwas - Group 2 Vol. 5 Page 425

Shaikh Ibn Baaz (rahimahullaah) and the raising of hands during Du'aa

People often ask regarding the raising of the hands whilst making du'aa. There seems to be from the direction of the Sufis and grave-worshippers the usual spreading of lies and and deception claiming that the Salafis don't make du'aa for the deceased; that they don't make du'aa after salaah; that they don't even make du'aa for their own parents.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The Salafis are the people of Sunnah, and as such they are the closest of the people in emulating the Prophet (salallaahu alaihi wassalam) and his Companions - so that necessitates that they are most ardent in the supplication of their Lord alone, without directing their supplications to other than Allaah. They seek His aid alone, they seek refuge with Him and seek from Him to deliver them and rescue them from calamities. They seek from Him that He cures them from there illnesses and the illnesses of the believers; they supplicate to Him for forgiveness and mercy for themselves, their parents, their children and the believers. The Salafis should be foremost in this regard. Supplication can be with the raising of the hands at times and without at other times.

Shaikh Abdul-'Azeez bin Baaz was asked a question as to whether the rasing of the hands during supplication was something legislated, and in partcular, during a journey whilst in an airplane, or a car, or a train or other than that. He responded by stating that raising of the hands is from the causes of the supplications being answered in any location a person may be. The Prophet (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) stated:

quote:
"Indeed your Lord is Shy and Generous. He becomes shy when His servant raises his hands to Him [in du'aa] to turn him away empty-handed." (Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood)

And he (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) said: Indeed Allaah, the Most High, is Good (Tayyib) and He does not accept except good. Allaah commanded the believers with that which He commanded the Messengers, so Allaah said: "O Messengers! Eat of the good, lawful foods and do righteous deeds."[1] And He, the Most Perfect, said: "O you who believe! Eat from the good, lawful things that We have provided you with and be grateful to Allaah."[2] Then he (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) mentioned the situation of a man who was upon a lengthy journey, dusty and deshevelled - he stretches his hands to the sky saying: "O my Lord! O my Lord!", whilst his food is unlawful, his drink is unlawful, his garments are unlawful and he nourishes with that which is unlawful. So how does he expect to be answered? (Reported by Muslim in his Saheeh).

So Allaah made the raising of the hands a reason for the du'aa to be answered; and he made unlawful food and nourishment a reason for the du'aa not being answered. So this is a proof that raising the hands is a cause for the du'aa to be answered, regardless of whether it's on an airplane, or train or a car or a spacecraft, or other than that. So if a person supplicates and raises his hands, then that becomes a reason for the du'aa to be accepted. The exception is that we do not raise our hands in those situations where the Messenger (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) did not raise his hands, such as the supplications during the Jumu'ah Khutbah wherein he would not raise his hands, unless he was seeking rain specifically (i.e. istisqaa), then he would raise his hands. Likewise he would not raise his hands during the supplication between the two prostrations or before the tasleem at the end of the final tashahhud in the prayer. So we do not raise our hands in those situations where he did not raise his hands - this is because his actions are an evidence for us and his abanddonment of affairs is an evidence also. So likewise after the five daily Prayers, he used make dhikr (rememberances) of Allaah, but he did not raise his hands, so we do not raise our hands at that time due to our following of him.

As for those situations and places where he would raise his hands, then the Sunnah is to raise one's hands, following him in that, because that is a reason for the du'aa to be answered.

Also in those situations wherein the Muslim supplicates to his Lord, and he does not find any text from the Prophet (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) in raising his hands and nor leaving it off - then in that situation we raise our hands, due to the fact that the ahaadeeth we have quoted prove that the raising of the hands in general is from the causes of the du'aa being answered, as long as they are not in those situations wherein the Messenger (salallaahu alaihi wassallam) abandoned the raising of the hands as has preceeded above.

Adapted from the Majmoo' Fatawa of Shaikhul-Islaam Ibn Baaz, vol. 6, pp. 158-159.

[1] Al-Mu'minoon: 51
[2] Al-Baqarah: 172

Wa'alaikoum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Ash76

It is not established from the Prophet (sal Allaahu alaiyhi wa sallam) as far as we know that he raised his hands in duaa after the salaam in the obligatory prayers ý and to raise them after the salaam in the obligatory prayer is in opposition to the Sunnah.

Walaikussalam.

So are you indirectly saying that raising your hands in dua after Fardh Salah is an act of Bidah?

A person should be able to raise their hands in dua after ANY Salah (Fardh, Witr, Sunnat or Nafl), should they choose to, without being labelled as a bidatti (innovator). A notion I'm sure other people on here would be very uncomfortable to be termed with.

Surely I can't be the only one on TTI who raises their hands in dua after Fardh Salah?

*pink niqaabi*

Jazak Allah khairun Ayyub for posting the evidences and saving myself a job. I do not speak without knowledge on this being a bidah as it is. I have seen many reliable sheikhs state this and scholars, read it many times and listened on lectures. Just because it is incredibly common, it doesn't mean its not a bidah, and wiping the hands over the face is something typical from the likes of the Sufis that many mainstream Muslims have copied.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrYrSEJQC0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1n4X4jNtY[/ame]