A question for all British Muslimahs! Finding modest clothing questions?

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
!:salam2:

Asalaamu 'aleikum to all my fellow sisters. I have a question for you all which I would appreciate some answers regarding.

I have moved house since creating this account, and as a result, I've found myself in a town with no mosque (I am currently traveling to Newcastle, to my old mosque) and no Islamic shops. I've got what I need in terms of Islamic books, tapes and the like, but the one thing I'm struggling with is clothes.

The Islamic shops I used to go to were excellent for suitably Islamic clothes but were very expensive and so they weren't really an option other than for the one abaya I own for mosque visits.

And shopping on the high street or in 'normal' shops, which I never really liked doing in the first place, seems now to be pretty much out of bounds to me unless I get lucky and find a long skirt or tunic top with long sleeves.

So how do my fellow Muslimahs do? Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can dress modestly in a situation like this? I can't even order via the internet as I don't have a shariah debit card (not yet anyway).

Also, I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread. Apologies in advance if this is the case.

Marina28

salam
im sorry sister i live in east london there r alots of islamic shops especially in whitechapel...i dunno wot u can do if there arent any shops maybe make do with the ones u have or go to a dress maker she make u some abaya dresses for you.

wantobeMumin

:salam2: May Allah help you with your struggles and make it easy for you.

Sister what you think about online shopping. I have bought many dresses online and i am a man living in states.

*pink niqaabi*

Assalaamu alaikum sis, sorry to hear about your difficulties in getting islamic clothing. U could get a dressmaker BUT you have to get decent fabric first which isn't easy so you would probably need to travel for that anyway. Once you have your shariah complaint card inshallah, i can tell you excatly where to shop (and cheaply). I have the personal email of a Saudi brother who i've been ordering my abayas from since 2007 and they are excellent quality and very cheap maasha'allah so let me know when ur ready to shop inshallah! And may Allah make it easy for you ameen.

*pink niqaabi*

LOL yes im with HSBC and they don't charge interest nor give interest on my money and i don't have an overdraft either. Its called an Amanah account, and its free Alhamdulillah

*pink niqaabi*

I have heard there are a few other banks that offer Islamic accounts as well but would need to check that out, guess it depends which country you live in as well. In the UK we have Islamic Bank Of Britain too

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Am I correct in understanding that you bank complies with the rules of Islam 100%. Should a person need a loan there will be no evaluation of their credit history. There will be a small fee and no interest whatsoever. That the bank looks beyond the rules of the banking industry of the nation and gives to any Believer a loan should they need it? There are no clauses...no if and or buts...that they will lend to a Believer should he be in need?

*pink niqaabi*

Noo...that'd be nice lol! HBSC is not an islamic bank but offers islamic bank accounts as an option to their Muslim customers. I just have a Amanah current account with them with my debit card so am not involved in any interest or charges. If you want more info check out their website inshallah.

*pink niqaabi*

Tell you another cool thing i found out about which doesn't have interest, is having a Paypal online bank account which you use for online shopping along with their Paypal Access card, basically a debit card and you can use it anywhere where Mastercard is accepted (so pretty much everywhere)...although they do have charges for drawing money out of ATMs, so i simply avoid doing that

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Thank you. There is no such animal as a sharia compliant card. From your responses everything is still based on Jewish interest which makes the world go around.

This is mixing the halaal with the haraam. I know I have to cash my check at the bank..crazy isn't it.

*pink niqaabi*

How is a debit card which has no charges or interest not shariah compliant? As far as i am aware this is completely halaal, but please correct me if im wrong, i barely know the basics of islamic finance

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Lloyds TSB offer a sharia-compliant debit card system with no overdrafts, no interest (including investing your money in interest-related activities) and even graduate/student/business accounts and loans.

As for HOW shariah compliant this account is, I can't say, although there are several prominent shariah scholars who have advised on the creation and running of these services.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am not trying to debate, whatsoever.

But, Lloyds in the same sentence as Islamic scholar is an oxymoron.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Lloyds TSB offer a sharia-compliant debit card system with no overdrafts, no interest (including investing your money in interest-related activities) and even graduate/student/business accounts and loans.

:salam2:,

Can you provide more information on this? Is it in the UK or the US?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Why would a Believer have anything to do with a member of the Club of Isles. Please read the history of Lloyds of London..( not good )

( sorry about going off topic, but these are sometimes the most informative threads)