Curious about Islam. Where do I start?

yahyaTX

Hello all. My name is John (or Jack), and I am a 20 year old male from Austin, Texas.

I have just found Islam after many years of struggling with non-belief and skepticism toward the religion of my parents (and of most of my neighbors), Christianity. Up until now I would have considered myself an agnostic, though I have recently practiced and benefited from anapanasati meditation.

I have spent the last few days home from work recovering from surgery, reading about the life of Mohammed (pbuh) and reading the Koran. No piece of religious text has ever spoken to me the way the Koran has, and believe me, I have tried many. When I read "The Cow," I felt it in my heart to be the one truth. I have only studied Islam for a few days now, but I feel a strong urge in me to convert. With this urge comes many questions though. I will list them and invite you to answer as many or as few as you feel you can. I apologize in advance for the complexity of some of them. I am just very curious.

1. Do I have to pray in Arabic? Will praying in English still please Allah?

2. Will I disappoint Allah if I miss a prayer because of work? I work very long shifts with prescribed times for break. Is it better to perform a quick prayer without full wudu, than to miss a prayer entirely? Can I make up my missed prayers consecutively when I get home, or to an appropriate place?

3. I have tattoos. Is simply the act of receiving tattoos haraam, or is it also the state of having tattoos? Do I need to get them removed, or would that be seen as more unnecessary body modification?

4. Should I wait to convert until I feel able to perform my daily duties (memorizing prayers, cutting sinful habits from my lifestyle), or is it better to convert immediately and learn as I go?

5. Can I still practice anapanasati? I feel like I should be able to, since it does not require a belief in a different god (or any god at all), but I want to make sure.

Thank you so much for reading, I'm sure I will think of more questions as soon as I hit the "post" button. These are the questions that have wandered my brain the most in the last few days. I look forward to my new life as a Muslim and as a member of this board! Peace be upon you!

helpinghumanity

Dear Jack,

First of all, welcome to TurntoIslam

Where do you start?

The most important thing for you at this stage is to understand the concept of God.

If you have a firm conviction and you believe that
"There is no true god that is worthy of worship except Allah" and
you don't associate any partners with Allah

Then inshallah (if Allah wills) all of your sins will be forgiven and inshallah (if Allah wills) your destination will be paradise.

All other fundamentals are secondary (by saying secondary, I am not trying to lower their importance) and they take some time to learn.

strive-may-i

Greetings. You are welcome to ask, seek, apply and imbibe from Islamic teachings. And this first applies to me. May your body recover quickly and May the creator guide you in your quest towards truth, bliss and contentment... Ameen

First things first, whats that you are seeking. Is your Understanding of Islam (Submission to will of Creator) sufficient enough to help you fulfill that something missing deep in your soul? If the answer is
- Yes , then there is no need to look back. Say your Shahada, meet a imaam in a mosque, meet some practising muslims, take their assistance and then pace yourself slowlly in imbibing Islamic was of life. You can search this forum and you will find many who have found peace, happiness and more importantly fulfillment in life.
- not yet there, need time, then ask your questions here. We will answer to best of our knowledge. Dont hesitate. Take your time, and make informed decision. May you succeed.

Answers:
1. Prayer can be in any language. But Salaat (the stipulated 5 times a day thing with well defined actions and sayings) is preferably said in Arabic. To begin with it need not be Arabic, but slowlly you will find yourself preferring Arabic like most other muslims. This question a valid concern, but is usually not an impediment to accepting Islam.

2. You can pray to Almighty any time. There also is a stipulated prayer (the 5 times a day one) called Salaat. There are ways to combine Salaat (the stipulated prayer) and shorten them. But it comes much later, once you are familiar with Salaat, its prerequisites.

3. Tattoos existing ones, if removing them is going to cause more harm to body, then thats not needed, they can remain. But new ones , no. The opinion is that body modification like tattoo is non beneficial, harmful and not natural. It is not permissible.

4. Once its clear as the daylight that Islam is for you, the first thing you do is say Shahadah. We call it Reverting to a natural belief in creator. Learn as you go is the right approach and it works out. Am Hopeful you find the truth and reconcile with creator.

5. As long as you dont believe god is in you or god is between breath etc (some say so), it should be fine. Its a form of breathing exercise. Once you learn about Salaat [prayer], and start benefitting from it, reading quran and Islamic way of life, you will reach a stage to make an assessment of anapanasati yourself.

I hope my answers are clear to you. More replies from other forum members will trickle in. If you have questions do not hesitate.

One link for you to read. Take your time.
Who is a Muslim

a_stranger

Hello all. My name is John (or Jack), and I am a 20 year old male from Austin, Texas.

I have just found Islam after many years of struggling with non-belief and skepticism toward the religion of my parents (and of most of my neighbors), Christianity. Up until now I would have considered myself an agnostic, though I have recently practiced and benefited from anapanasati meditation.

I have spent the last few days home from work recovering from surgery, reading about the life of Mohammed (pbuh) and reading the Koran. No piece of religious text has ever spoken to me the way the Koran has, and believe me, I have tried many. When I read "The Cow," I felt it in my heart to be the one truth. I have only studied Islam for a few days now, but I feel a strong urge in me to convert. With this urge comes many questions though. I will list them and invite you to answer as many or as few as you feel you can. I apologize in advance for the complexity of some of them. I am just very curious.

1. Do I have to pray in Arabic? Will praying in English still please Allah?

2. Will I disappoint Allah if I miss a prayer because of work? I work very long shifts with prescribed times for break. Is it better to perform a quick prayer without full wudu, than to miss a prayer entirely? Can I make up my missed prayers consecutively when I get home, or to an appropriate place?

3. I have tattoos. Is simply the act of receiving tattoos haraam, or is it also the state of having tattoos? Do I need to get them removed, or would that be seen as more unnecessary body modification?

4. Should I wait to convert until I feel able to perform my daily duties (memorizing prayers, cutting sinful habits from my lifestyle), or is it better to convert immediately and learn as I go?

5. Can I still practice anapanasati? I feel like I should be able to, since it does not require a belief in a different god (or any god at all), but I want to make sure.

Thank you so much for reading, I'm sure I will think of more questions as soon as I hit the "post" button. These are the questions that have wandered my brain the most in the last few days. I look forward to my new life as a Muslim and as a member of this board! Peace be upon you!

You are most welcome brother, I believe that the happiest moments in life of any human when he/she finds out who created him/her , what is the purpose of life, how to be peaceful and pure.

At the start all you need is to know your creator , his prophets and the noble
teachings of Islam ....and have deep faith in Islam then things will be easy you
can learn to pray in Arabic step by step.

The most important thing is purify your heart by faith in Allah subhanahu wa taaala. Feel his signs around you, thank his bounties......

Prayer will be part of your life like breathing, you will feel inner need to pray at time anywhere. I pray things will be easy for you.

Any thing you have done before Shahada will be wiped , you will be a new pure person.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Welcome to TTI brother Jack. I'm a revert from another religion to Islam and was searching for the truth just like you and found the truth, alhamdulillah (all praises to Allah alone). I guess your questions were answered already. All I want to say, you are doing the right thing by reading the Qur'an and about beloved Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him). Pls continue reading Qur'an and ask a lot of questions here. May Allah guides you brother.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Welcome.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Drop the meditation and concentrate on the Quran. The source that one is seeking when meditating leads you to another path. Can discuss that much later.

You are the blessed one. And I strongly suggest that you really consider the conversion. Please take a moment and find a masjid near you. Talk to the locals there.

As you draw closer to Allah subhana wa taala, and this is one to remember, He will make a way for you to ease your burdens. You will find the time to pray.

When you have a moment there is a lot of good information on this site. Take time to read the basics. Do not allow yourself to get confused. Ask questions.

You start by submitting to the Lord of the Worlds and everything else falls into place.

MuslimShadow

Hi there, brother Yahya :SMILY259:

Firstly welcome to this forum.We are pleased to have you here.You have found the right place.Your curiosity is valid.There are excellent threads and articles about islam on this forum.Start from here.

Secondly keep reading the Quran.You will be mesmerized by it's beauty.You will find a perfect friend and a guide.

Take one step at a time.Taking shahada is your first step.Ask God to help you.

Hope you will find your answers.

Thauban

As'alaamu Alaikkum

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala guides whom He will.

Think yourself very lucky and be grateful for you have been chosen to be in a very privileged position in this life. Following the One True God means that you have a chance to spend eternity with Him if you are chosen to be so. You have to follow certain rules and guidelines which are stipulated in the Holy Qur'an and please do not deviate from the Straight Path that has been shown to you.

Grab this opportunity to save your soul. Believe there is only one God, believe that Muhammed is His slave and final messenger to mankind, believe in His blessed angels and in His revealed book and believe in the Day of Judgment.

Christianity is misty and people are lost in a haze and in a thick fog. Islam clears away this mist and this fog and you will see clearly once you embrace the message that is contained within the Holy Qur'an.

Be lucky, be wise.

Thauban

It was narrated that Abu Musa said:

"The Messenger of Allah said: 'There are three who will be given a twofold reward: A man who has a slave woman whom he disciplines and disciplines her well, and teaches and teaches her well, then he manumits her and marries her; a slave who fulfills his duty toward Allah and toward his masters; and a believer from among the People of the Book.'

English reference: Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3346
Arabic reference: Book 26, Hadith 3357