New Muslims

Portia

Saalams,

I took my shahada today!!! Mashallah. I have a couple questions about "christian holidays"....my family is really big on christmas and thanksgiving. I am allowed to still attend the gathering with my family. My family is very important to me..I know in my heart that I am not attending the gathering for the celebration but to see ALL of my family, which only happens once a year!

How does my birthday work? I do not celebrate it and do not accept gifts??

Inshallah someone will help me and explain to me!

Wa alaikum as salaam

strive-may-i

Walaikum Ssalaam Warahmathullaahi wabarakaatuh,

Mubarak (Greetings).
And Eid-Ul-Fitr Mubarak Sister. (festival greeting)

Yes your family is important to you and You can attend to your family any time. At each new birth day, you will add one more year of Wisdom that comes with experience and age, Insha Allah! :)

Celebrations like Xmas, birthday and its finer details, lets wait for experienced sisters to respond.

May Almighty Bless you.

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

Welcome to the true religion of Jesus, Moses, Abraham and Muhammad (Peace be upon them all). I wish you all the best success. For particular questions, please don't hesitate to start a thread in the appropriate sections. My advice: focus on huge aspects that are the basis of this Religion (i.e., the Five Pillars) and work your way down. All the best.

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Assalam Aleikum sister,

Congrutulation for your reversion, and welcome to a big family of muslims (1.3 billion).

In islam encourages kin relationship, I think is not bad to attend family gathering during xmas, because in Islam a person is being judge according to his/her intention. Your intention is be with the family but not celebrating Xmass, but you will have to avoid 'haram' things like alcohol, poor, haram meats, dancing etc.

For your birthday, let people give you birthday wishes, gift but you don't have to encourage it or throw a party, after some years it will fade.

Sister this is right thread, you don't need to post in any other thread. What the brother was saying, if you have question in the future and is regarding women issue, here in TTI have facilities for that as there is sister's section incase you don't want brothers to read the thread.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Saalams,

I took my shahada today!!! Mashallah. I have a couple questions about "christian holidays"....my family is really big on christmas and thanksgiving. I am allowed to still attend the gathering with my family. My family is very important to me..I know in my heart that I am not attending the gathering for the celebration but to see ALL of my family, which only happens once a year!

How does my birthday work? I do not celebrate it and do not accept gifts??

Inshallah someone will help me and explain to me!

Wa alaikum as salaam

Wa aleikum salam wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

Welcome to islam, the natural religion of humans, alhamdullilah.
I have the same issues as you, often feeling very stressed....i took a middle way, i go at my family when are moments of gatherings and spend time with them, but i dont eat all that they eat, i dont go church ofcourse and i dont encourage birthdays, i never celebrate the holiday itself and they just have to adjust to that, is not a great deal. You can be there to hug, speek, share laughs and halal food with your loved ones, as Allah told us to respect the ties of kinship.
I hope Allah will help you in all this, if you have good intentions, He will inshallah.