Woman died after being 'refused an abortion'

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
HEALTH chiefs have launched investigations following the death of a woman in an Irish hospital after she was "refused an abortion."

It is claimed that dentist Savita Halappanavar asked for the termination but was told: "This is a Catholic country."

The 31-year-old was 17 weeks pregnant when she died after suffering a miscarriage and septicaemia.

The woman’s husband Praveen Halappanavar, 34, claimed she had complained of being in agonising pain while in Galway University Hospital.

He has said that doctors refused to carry out a medical termination because the foetus’s heartbeat was present.

Mr Halappanavar has claimed that following several requests by his late wife for a termination, they were told: “This is a Catholic country.”

The woman’s death is expected to spark a backlash against the Irish Government for failing to reform health laws to allow abortion if the life of the mother is in danger.

Mrs Halappanavar, understood to be from India but who had been living in Ireland, died after developing septicaemia - an infection in the blood - on October 28.

Investigations into Mrs Halappanavar’s death have been launched by the Galway-Roscommon University Hospitals Group and the state’s health officials.

It is expected the hospital’s investigation will be complete within three months.

A spokesman for the hospital said: “Firstly, the Galway Roscommon University Hospitals Group wishes to extend its sympathy to the husband, family and friends of Ms Halappanavar.”

The Galway hospital said medics have carried out all standard practices in notifying the death to the coroner, informing the Health Service Executive and completing a maternal death notification.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-being-refused-an-abortion.html#ixzz2CLIeCSP9

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
AssalaamuAlaikum,

What is the ruling of Islam on Abortion & especially such situations?

walaikum salam wr wb :) mere pyare bhai :D here u go
keep this website handy ;) its very helpful
read this one before the one posted below then i think the situation becomes more clear inshAllah :) http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/42321
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12475/abortion

I would like to know the rulings that have to do with abortion of the foetus at various stages.

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:

We have already stated in the answer to question no. 42321 the ruling on abortion. Please refer to this information.

Secondly:

With regard to the rulings following an abortion, they vary according to the time of the abortion, and fall into four categories, as follows:

1 – If the pregnancy is aborted within the first two stages (the nutfah (drop) stage which results from the mixing of the “two waters” which is the first forty days after the embryo attaches itself in the womb, and the ‘alaqah (clot) stage where it turns into solid blood during the second forty days), which add up to a total of eighty days, then in this case if it is aborted as a nutfah or ‘alaqah, there are no rulings to be followed, and there is no scholarly dispute on this point. The woman should continue to fast and pray as if she had not had an abortion, but she has to do wudoo’ for each prayer if she has any bleeding, as in the case of a woman suffering from istihaadah (non-menstrual vaginal bleeding).

2 – If the pregnancy is aborted in the third stage, the mudghah (chewed piece of flesh) stage, when the embryo looks like a piece of meat with the limbs and features beginning to appear, which lasts for forty days from the eighty-first to the one hundred and twentieth day, then there are two scenarios:

(i) This embryo does not have any human features and the midwives or other attendants did not testify that this was the beginning of a human being. In this case the ruling on abortion of this mudghah is the same as the ruling on abortion in the first two stages, and there are no rulings to be followed.

(ii) The embryo has complete human features or some human features such as a hand or foot, etc, or there are features but they are indistinct, or the midwives or other attendants testified that this was the beginning of a human being. In this case the rulings on nifaas are to be followed, and this signals the end of ‘iddah (waiting period following divorce or death of the husband, if applicable).

3 – If the pregnancy is aborted in the fourth stage, i.e., after the soul has been breathed into the foetus, which is after the beginning of the fifth month or after one hundred and twenty days of pregnancy have passed. Here there are two scenarios:

(i) If the foetus did not cry after birth, then the rulings mentioned with regard to the second stage of the mudghah are to be followed, but in addition the foetus should be washed, shrouded and the funeral prayer offered for him; he should be given a name and the ‘aqeeqah offered for him.

(ii) If the foetus cried after birth, then the rulings concerning a full-term baby apply, as mentioned above; in addition the child may take possession of wealth bequeathed or inherited; he may inherit or be inherited from, etc.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 21/434-438.

Alex87

UmmJamal
sounds like bad health care and careless remarks from hospital staff. But how could they know her life was in danger? 17 weeks pregnant is fairly far along and most countries would refuse to abort on the basis of stomach pain-although when i complained of stomach pain at that stage of my pregnacny i was taken in for observation and had all sorts of tests done.

Also do not trust or buy into any ruling by a sheikh in this century saying it is p[ermissable depending on the stage, a life is a life given my Allah and unless the mothers life is in danger that life deserves the best chance

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam
sounds like bad health care and careless remarks from hospital staff. But how could they know her life was in danger? 17 weeks pregnant is fairly far along and most countries would refuse to abort on the basis of stomach pain-although when i complained of stomach pain at that stage of my pregnacny i was taken in for observation and had all sorts of tests done.

Also do not trust or buy into any ruling by a sheikh in this century saying it is p[ermissable depending on the stage, a life is a life given my Allah and unless the mothers life is in danger that life deserves the best chance

Well put. That is indeed the first question, in checklist, while deciding on abortion.

New situations come up, and to abort or not, again becomes a question, of heated debate:
As medicine advances, it will become possible to tell what diseases the child and adult will develop during the foetal stage. So there is a debate on this too. And the world is split again between the extremes pro-life and pro-choice. Islamic Shariah has provisions for a realistic middle ground.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:
Greeting!

Truly sympathy to her family
and sad at the lost of a dear life .

[video=youtube;fwVs_uOSq5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVs_uOSq5E&feature=related[/video]

1)but one should not blame the Irish Government due to respect their religion!

2)i suggest in future those who are non catholic living in the respected Catholic country to consult their private non catholic's clinic for consultation
regarding their 'personal's request' due to avoid such fatal incident to happen again altogether avoiding misunderstanding.

Thank you for sharing,

~Wassalam

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
What will be the news, if this woman died in a hospital situation in KSA instead of Ireland? What will be the news (just a theory) KSA govt denied her abortion in the name of Islam?

Matt

I read this story the other day. It's disgraceful. The doctors knew the fetus would die regardless, and instead of saving the woman, they let her die. This wouldn't have happened in Northern Ireland, which has me conflicted, since I support the reunification of Ireland.