Arabian Gulf

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium. The naming of that waterway can spur up alot of ulgy nationalism and disunity between Muslims, Arabs/Iranians. So instead of choosing sides or nationalism, let's just stick to the historical facts. We know through old maps and ancient documents that it was always referred to as the Persian gulf simply due to the presence of the huge singular land mass inhabited by the Persian civilisation. Although the country is now referred to as Iran, the waterway never ceased to be called as Persian gulf by the international community. It is only the recently formed GCC nations which have caused some Arabs groups to become over nationalistic, trying to antagonise Iran by promoting this pointless excercise of renaming the waterway as Arabian.

Hatty

Despite the historical facts, names of places change over time. In addition, the Iranian part which overlooking the Gulf in called Al-Ahwaz. The Ahwaz extends to the east of Iran till reach a mountain range.

Up until 1925 Al-Ahwaz was an independent Arabic country. The people are Arab Sunnis. Now they are still occupied by the Shia.

So basically the whole Gulf is surrounded by Arabs.

strive-may-i

If in this point of time, a rename is really needed, then lets name it as the dividing gulf?

We add some more to history for future generation to fight over
Happy ?!

strive-may-i

Well to all the sub continent and south east asia, gulf really means arabian peninsula.

So the name persian Gulf is actually a win win, if seen from this viewpoint.... Peace

Alex87

UmmJamal
Asalam wailkium. The naming of that waterway can spur up alot of ulgy nationalism and disunity between Muslims, Arabs/Iranians. So instead of choosing sides or nationalism, let's just stick to the historical facts. We know through old maps and ancient documents that it was always referred to as the Persian gulf simply due to the presence of the huge singular land mass inhabited by the Persian civilisation. Although the country is now referred to as Iran, the waterway never ceased to be called as Persian gulf by the international community. It is only the recently formed GCC nations which have caused some Arabs groups to become over nationalistic, trying to antagonise Iran by promoting this pointless excercise of renaming the waterway as Arabian.

I agree.
I am Sunni and I agree.
There are far more important things to worry about than this.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I would like to be neutral and call it just as "The Gulf" - no Shia Persian Gulf or Sunni Arabian Gulf.