Lessons From Speech Of Umar(RA)

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam2:

Alhamdulilah, I happened to come across Umar(RA)'s speech & other advises. And I would like you to read it patiently and list Maximum 3 Points which you learnt from the Speech/which touched your heart and most important of all, which you could apply in your life.
Reason to restrict it to 3 points - because I would like everyone to chip in their Constructive thoughts. InshaAllah. I will post the other articles about Umar(RA) once I have typed them. If my dear brothers & sisters want to post something related to the thread. Alhamdulilah. They are most welcomed. InshaAllah. We all will benefit. Want you to THINK!!

Reports vary as to the first speech given by Umar. Some of them said that he ascended minbar and said:
“O Allah, I am harsh so make me softer; I am weak so make me strong; I am stingy so make me generous.”
“Allah is testing you with me and testing me with you after my two companions. By Allah, I will not delegate to anyone else any of your affairs that I can deal with directly, and if there is anything that I cannot deal with directly, I will try to delegate it to people who are able to deal with it and are trustworthy. By Allah, if they (governors) do well, I will reward them, and if they do badly. I will punish them.”

Those who heard his speech and narrated it said: "By Allah, that was his way until he departed this world. “

And it was narrated that when he became caliph, he ascended the minbar and wanted to sit at the same level as Abu Bakr had sat, then he said:

“I would not like Allah to see me putting myself on the same level as Abu Bakr.” So he went down one step, then he praised Allah, then he said: “read Quran and you will be recognized for it; act upon it and you will be among its people; bring yourselves for the great parade on the Day when you will be brought to judgement before Allah and not a secret of you will be hidden(Quran 69:18). No one who is in a position to be obeyed should be obeyed in anything that involves disobedience towards Allah. With regard to the wealth of Allah, I see myself as being like the guardian of an orphan; if I find a means of being independent I will refrain from taking anything but if I need to, I will take on a reasonable basis."

According to another report, two days after Umar was appointed as caliph, the people started talking and saying how worried they were about his harshness and punishments, so Umar realized that he had to clarify the matter himself. He ascended to minbar and addressed them, describing how the Prophet(SAW) and Abu Bakr had been and what their method of dealing with people was, and how they had been pleased with Umar when they died. Then he said:

"I have been appointed as your leader, O people, so understand that the harshness has become less, and it will only be applied to wrongdoers and oppressors. I will not allow anyone to oppress anyone else or to transgress the right of others, but I will put his cheek on the ground and place my foot on his other cheek, until he submits to the truth. In contrast to that former harshness of mine, I will lay my own cheek on the ground before those who are humble and modest. O people, I make some promises to you, which I will mention so that you will hold me to them. I promis that I will not take anything of your taxes or of the booty(fay’) that Allah grants you, except in the proper manner. I promise you that whatever I do take, I will not spend it except in proper manner. I promise you that I will increase your stipends, if Allah wills, and I will protect your borders. I promise you that I will not throw you into dangerous places or keep you away from your families for a long time to guard the borders; when you are on military campaigns, I will be responsible for your children until you come back to them. Fear Allah, O slaves of Allah, and help me by keeping your evil away from me and by enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil and by giving me sincere advice with regard to the way I am running your affairs. I say these words of mine and I ask Allah to forgive me and you.”

P.S - Request you to please maintain Peace and Harmony on the thread as well as TTI. InshaAllah. Let's learn from each other.

Pylo

“O Allah, I am harsh so make me softer; I am weak so make me strong; I am stingy so make me generous.”

So we are all, heartbreaking bunch of people, we are weak against the temptations of the dunya therefor stingy we are.

I would not like Allah to see me putting myself on the same level as Abu Bakr.” So he went down one step...

We always see ourselves superior in terms of deen, knowledge, we despise fellow muslims when Umar(r.a.) constrained himself from doing so.

How many of us can be as just as Umar (r.a.) when we come across to an unfairness. How many would get as angry as Umar(r.a.) against an oppressor. Would we try stopping the unfairness, or just walk away in fear and silence?

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
wasalaam,

If you have not yet encountered, here is a series of 3 TTI Threads -
Lessons from​

The haters accuse him, and we Muslims just wish a ruler like him. Its not an arab rule. There are many notable famous men, who think his was an ideal state.

:bismillah1:
:salam2:

JazakAllah Khair for sharing those links brother. They were good. Alhamdulilah. I think, I will have more to share InshaAllah, as I have just started to read the seerah of Umar(RA). And very much true. Just ran threw a rough workshop on Umar(RA)'s life. During his caliph everything was perfect. I guess, "UTOPIA" is the word.

So we are all, heartbreaking bunch of people, we are weak against the temptations of the dunya therefor stingy we are.

I would not like Allah to see me putting myself on the same level as Abu Bakr.” So he went down one step...

We always see ourselves superior in terms of deen, knowledge, we despise fellow muslims when Umar(r.a.) constrained himself from doing so.

How many of us can be as just as Umar (r.a.) when we come across to an unfairness. How many would get as angry as Umar(r.a.) against an oppressor. Would we try stopping the unfairness, or just walk away in fear and silence?

Brother Pylo,

You just gave me new lenses to see a totally different dimension of the speech. Alhamdulilah. JazakAllah Khair brother. :)

Peace.

Pylo

Besides, Umar(r.a.) was granted with Jannah when he was alive and He was present at Hudaybiyyah. The ayat tells : Allah's Good Pleasure was on the Believers when they swore Fealty to thee under the Tree: He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down Tranquillity to them; and He rewarded them with a speedy Victory;

Who would dare to be enemy of some one that Allah was pleased with.