alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullahi wa barakatu,

As Muslims, do we believe in Karma?

An example of Karma is: If you steal an apple then later something is stolen from you. Or if you cause someone harm then later harm comes back to you.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Wa'alaikumussalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

No we do not believe in that sister. It is a belief of Mushrikeen like Buddhists and Hindus.

Wassalam 'ALaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Wa'alaikumussalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

No we do not believe in that sister. It is a belief of Mushrikeen like Buddhists and Hindus.

AssalaamuAlaikum akhi.

Is there any proof for what you are saying? I mean a video/article by a reliable scholar. If yes, then please post it akhi. It would be very helpful. :)

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Karma in Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in the Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, and Sikh religions.

Many Western cultures have notions similar to karma, as demonstrated in the phrase what goes around comes around. Christian expressions similar to karma include reap what one sows (Galatians 6:7).

-wiki

Although the term is of indian religions origin but the concept exists in most societies. In Islam it extends beyond this duniya. What goes and comes around or you could get away with it but then you pay for it on J-day. So it's not like some natural forces are at play, rather it is all by the will of Allah. If you do something, Allah could punish you in this duniya by the same act or a different one or punish you on J-day if He chooses.

Karma (what comes around goes around) in Islam:

Let us look at what Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran:

"Mischief has appeared on land and sea because of (the meed) that the hands of men have earned, that (God) may give them a taste of some of their deeds: in order that they may turn back (from Evil). (The Noble Quran, 30:41)"

"And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty, in order that they may (repent and) return. (The Noble Quran, 32:21)"

The idea that life is a "circle", and that what goes around from good and evil doings does eventually come around to the person is all supported in the Noble Quran.

For instance, when a dominant person, who used to deal with people unjustly, loses all of his power by the Will of GOD Almighty, and becomes weaker than everyone else, it would be GOD Almighty's Message to him that he should repent and amend to his GOD Almighty, and make up for those whom he harmed, or else meet the Ultimate destruction.

Some people Allah Almighty would accept their repentance, and some He wouldn't. It all depends on the person, and what kind of evil he did to others.

One thing we must know for certain: There is no reincarnation in Islam!

http://www.answering-christianity.com/karma.htm

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
AssalaamuAlaikum akhi.

Is there any proof for what you are saying? I mean a video/article by a reliable scholar. If yes, then please post it akhi. It would be very helpful. :)

Wa'alaikumussalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh brother

I was in a hurry that time so I could not provide proof for the words. I am sorry for that.

According to Wikipedia, Karma in Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in the Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, and Sikh religions.

Samsara according to the Sanskrit dictionaries is reincarnation.

In Islam, we believe in death and life, but not death - life -death - life -death - life ....

In Samsara, they believe that if the person do bad deeds in his 1st life, then he will be reborn after death at a lower state like donkey, rat, etc. It clearly contradicts with the teachings of Islam which says that mankind is given with a life in this world after showing two paths and he will be resurrected according to the deed he did in his life.

Please watch the video below from 18th minute to 22:04 minute.

[video=youtube;VBuuqzUTMKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBuuqzUTMKQ[/video]

Hope it helped.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
In Islam it extends beyond this duniya. What goes and comes around or you could get away with it but then you pay for it on J-day. So it's not like some natural forces are at play, rather it is all by the will of Allah. If you do something, Allah could punish you in this duniya by the same act or a different one or punish you on J-day if He chooses.

AssalaamuAlaikum.

Islamerica - I was of the same opinion as the sister mentioned. :) JazakAllah Khair for that sis. Plus nice of you to bring forth the ayats from the Quran.

Bro IbnAdam77 - I am well aware of the re-incarnation & stuffs. ;) Yet. JazakAllah Khair for the video. Alhamdulilah.
May Allah(SWT) reward you both immensely.

Peace. :)

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam,

Karma when explained as "actions have consequences", is basis in most world religions. This adds credence to Islamic belief, that humans have always been receiving guidance through messengers/ prophets when the original true message got diluted/corrupted.

But, the word Karma used in Buddhism, Jainism Hinduism and other religions, is associated to cycle of life and death(reincarnation). This cycle can be ended by achieving salvation(moksha). The philosophy is that- if karma is good enough, next birth is rewarding, and the fate of next birth is decided by the carried forward karma; if not persona might be born in lower life forms. Action(Karma) can be from mind or body, and person is responsible for it. That's Karma of last birth, deciding the fate of a person, in current life. So Karma in this sense, is not Islamic belief.

In Islam our belief (or lack or weakness in it) is affirmed by deeds and intention behind these deeds in the only birth we get. This piles up as good deeds and bad deeds, the judgement is based on a combination of purity of faith, together with tilt of weight of affirming deeds and negating deeds(sins). Repentance (Dua), together with Good deeds, can offset the negating deeds. During the lifetime our negating deeds could bring us trials and tribulations, giving an opportunity to right the wrongs.

The most important point, which we humans often forget when using the notion of "what comes around goes around", is that it should not become a justification for the wrongs we do.

Updated:
By time. Indeed, mankind is in loss, Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. [Quran 103: 1-3]

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
That's right brother. I agree that Karma has no basis in Islam. In Islam, if we die in a way that pleases Allah then the destination will be everlasting heaven. If one died in a state of kufr, his / her destination will be hellfire and remain forever there. But karma is different, you have another chance and another chance until you achieve moksha. I had difficulty to understand when I was a hindu. But I understood better after became Muslim.

Is my understanding correct, brother uniqueskates?

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
But karma is different, you have another chance and another chance until you achieve moksha. I had difficulty to understand when I was a hindu. But I understood better after became Muslim.

Is my understanding correct, brother uniqueskates?

Bismillah.
AssalaamuAlaikum.

Yep, You are right brother. A person keeps re-incarnating till he attains Moksha. i.e freeing oneself from the cycle of birth & death & getting united with God. I tried finding out how to attain Moksha, but I don't know where to/which scripture to refer too. Anyways, That's our past. Better to leave it there & focus on the present, so that our "future" is good.

Oh, It's very difficult to understand it. My head took a spin when I tried to understand it. LOL. ;)

Peace.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamu alayum all,

Firstly sorry I never replied. I have the flu.
And also I did not know Karma was related to Reincarnation!! Of course, I do not believe in reincarnation.

Jazakallah IbnAdam and islamerica for your thoughtful posts :)

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
AssalaamuAlaikum.

I thought by Karma, sister Alf2 was referring to "What goes around comes back around" principle. I didn't know it was about re-incarnation & stuffs. :)

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Karma actually is a burden. When you are taking another birth into this world until you attain moksha then go to nirvana, each rebirth will come with another worldly sufferings, testing, disease, poverty etc same or even worst than previous life. But in Islam, you live only once. All we need to do, strive for jannah then there will be no more sufferings forever. Even one to die in the state of faasiq (sinned Muslim), he / she will go through sufferings in hellfire until certain time then he will be ascended to the heaven, in sha Allah. No need to return to earth and go through another test.

strive-may-i

A related TTI Thread: Karma? 'Click Here'

By time. Indeed, mankind is in loss, Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. [Quran 103:1-3]

alf2

Islam is a way of life
A related TTI Thread: Karma? 'Click Here'

By time. Indeed, mankind is in loss, Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. [Quran 103:1-3]

Jazakallah :)

AssalaamuAlaikum.

I thought by Karma, sister Alf2 was referring to "What goes around comes back around" principle. I didn't know it was about re-incarnation & stuffs. :)

I was. I had no idea it had to do with Reincarnation haha. Opened a Pandora's box here.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,if I follow what my father said in the past,I was born in his family because it was my Karma,my destiny and my only way to get purified.by his opinion in my last reincarnation I was too much arrogant and proud,so much that I offended my creator.by consequence,I was born there,had bad childhood,was beaten,offended,humiliated for many years,because of my Karma.it's ridiculous!!!!!!!!!but in deepness I believe in Karma and at the consequences of actions:they work like a boomerang,you should pay attention before thinking to do something bad,if you don't want to be harmed:)