mother beats her son to death for failing to memorize the Quran

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Saddening!! May Allah grant the child Jannah.

Biased and sensational summary. Uncontrolled anger was the cause. Incident reported around same day as shooting spree in US/ stabbing in China.

Some parents combine uncontrolled rage and
corporal punishment. Often this has resulted in Child fear psychosis, child trauma and child death. And interesting point is the mothers origin country!! Am sure this is rare case. In some countries corporal punishment on children ,together with uncontrolled rage is often reported.

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Ah, she was suffering from mental illness too.

Some excerpts of comments there in that site
Score: 63
Drew in Toronto

11:46 AM on January 7, 2013
No "devoted and loving mother" beats their child to death.

4 replies

-------------------------------------------------------------

Score: 50

Rationalthought
11:35 AM on January 7, 2013
A "devoted and loving mother"......

Nothing could be further from the truth given what she did.

1 reply
Score: 33

Finn1712

11:59 AM on January 7, 2013
Hold on - from the limited information in this article, and in similar articles on the net, the boy's failure to study Koran was not the primary cause of his death. This article talks about the mother's depression and the history of domestic abuse (going back to 2003 according to other articles). An article on BBC says: "The mother also confessed to beating her son for no reason and that her anger often led to her being out of control." Other articles talk about her documented history of depression and instability.

Obviously the mother had some serious mental issues / depression problems. We've seen similar cases in Canada where a mother's severe depression or other mental problems have led to horrific results. This is not a "religion" issue where Islam or any other faith play a large part in this tragic death. So why sensationalize it and give this tragic occurrence a misleading religious slant? All that does is wrongly increase misunderstanding/bias (i.e. "what a horrible religion if it justifies killing kids who don't learn the holy text") and increase Islam-bashing based on a misleading view of the facts. It also detracts from attention to the actual causes of this horrible crime -- i.e. given prior police involvement, weren't there signs of this woman's instability and the child's prior beatings? Could anything have been done to prevent this? etc.

Let's avoid the cheap religion-bashing tactics and focus on the real issues at play here - mental illness and domestic abuse and the horrible consequences that can arise from both.

7 replies
Score: 21

JefeMixtli

12:12 PM on January 7, 2013
"... who suffered from depression and domestic violence."

Amazing... even after beating a child to death this WOMAN manages to suckle on the udder of VICTIM POWER.

1 reply
Score: 16

Silver Phoenix

1:27 PM on January 7, 2013
If that's "devoted and loving" I would hate to see "neglectful and mean-spirited."

Score: 8
soman
1:32 PM on January 7, 2013
"and burning his body to destroy the evidence." When you are depressed, you are still able to plan and destroy the evidence. So next time, if you happen to kill and somebody by any means, do say you have severe depression.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleykum

May Allah rest this small soul in peace.

This is the result of looking at Quran as a poetry that is obligatory to memorise instead of a guidance meant to be followed. I know there are rewards for the ones that memorise Quran, but before thinking about material rewards The heart must be open for the light of faith and mercy...
Is not the first case i read about.

Chapter (7) sūrat l-aʿrāf (The Heights)
And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless.

Salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

This is an instance of a woman who chose to punish her child for her own sickness. This is not faith based. She used the excuse of trying to teach her child. We do not know the reasons for her depression. She purposely inflicted pain upon her own flesh. Her acts are that of a coward. To burn another human being to hide evidence is premeditated. She knew what she was doing. To do it to her own flesh I can not comprehend. I pray that the courts find her competent and do not use the fallacy of mental illness as an excuse. There is no excuse.

If you so depressed go on a shopping spree; get a divorce; take a vacation; eat a whole Boston Creme pie; walk on the beach; take a drug..but to kill your babe...you are not depressed.

The babe is in a better place.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam alaikum,

This is an instance of a woman who chose to punish her child for her own sickness. This is not faith based. She used the excuse of trying to teach her child. We do not know the reasons for her depression. She purposely inflicted pain upon her own flesh. Her acts are that of a coward. To burn another human being to hide evidence is premeditated. She knew what she was doing. To do it to her own flesh I can not comprehend. I pray that the courts find her competent and do not use the fallacy of mental illness as an excuse. There is no excuse.

If you so depressed go on a shopping spree; get a divorce; take a vacation; eat a whole Boston Creme pie; walk on the beach; take a drug..but to kill your babe...you are not depressed.

Salam alaykum

thanks about your relief words, dear Aapa.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
it's a really sad story,that mother is also a bad example of teaching Islam,but we'll never know what was running into her mind.she surely had no intention to kill him,may Allah have mercy of her

luluimaan

Lulu O' La Mer
That's what I was thinking. Not only that she beat him to death but that she burned the body. Maybe she was possessed? Allahu alam.

Shak78

Assalaam alaikum,

That I agree with, I would never harm my kid and burning the body, that says it was not an "accident." The little boy is in Jannah now better off.

John Smith

If the mother herself had read the Quran then she would never had committed the act she did.

Age of 10 is when you must start to implement as much as you can on your child but till that point you can only influence and guide not force them,that will only turn them against.

HaroonM

:salam2:

This was obviously not an isolated incident so therefore I wonder why no one else became aware of the plight of this poor child before it was too late. The mother is obviously mentally ill but that should not excuse her behavior and burning the body just compounds it even further. May Allah (swt) guide us all. Ameen

- - - Updated - - -

:salam2:

This was obviously not an isolated incident so therefore I wonder why no one else became aware of the plight of this poor child before it was too late. The mother is obviously mentally ill but that should not excuse her behavior and burning the body just compounds it even further. May Allah (swt) guide us all. Ameen