Non-Muslim Interested but Frustrated

OnAJourney

Salaam From a Curious Non-Muslim.

I come from a Christian background but left those beliefs about four years ago because it didn't feel right in my heart. Since then I've been on an uncomfortable journey trying to find the right beliefs. I want to be apart of something I can feel right about.

I am still in the very beginning stages of learning about Islam, so please excuse my ignorance. Please also understand that if something I might say comes off as rude, it is completely unintentional. I would never disrespect someone on purpose. In reality my culture (I'm a female from Texas, was raised in an African American Christian family in a country setting) is very different from the Muslim culture.

Seeing a Muslim woman sparked my curiosity about the religion. After having a completely unfair and untrue opinion on why many wear the Hijab, I researched it for myself. I found the reasoning completely opposite from what I believed in the past. In fact I found it absolutely beautiful. What the Quran (at least what I have read so far) says about females inspired me on an deep spirtual and emotional level. So I began to read more about this religion.

And so to the point of my posting this.

Islam (as I understand it) is a beautiful religion on it's basis. It feels natural and agreeable to me. However there are things that appear to be unacceptable (haram as I understand it) that I do not understand.

For example, music. Obviously listening to anything profane or with filthy meaning is unnacceptable. But from what I have read many say ALL music except that played with the duff is haram.

And photography and drawing? From what I have read, many say this is haram as well.

And the biggest heartbreaker of all. According to many hadiths as I understand, dogs are seen as unclean. I am a avid animal lover. I have several dogs and ride horses. I used to volunteer at a dog shelter but had to stop because I moved. I have been around dogs all my life, working with them, training them, etc.

And what's a little frustrating is, the Quran doesn't give much insight into dogs so followers seem to go straight to the hadiths. But according to a little research I've done, one of the four Imams (Imam Maliki)/in the Maliki Madhhab dogs are not seen as impure. a

I guess it frustrated me because of the wide variety of opinion. As someone interested in Islam without knowing any Muslims, it is difficult to build a foundation for myself when I don't know what to follow.

To believers in Islam, it shouldn't seem like a big deal to drop the arts (music, photography, pictures, etc) and my love of animals to serve Allah when that is the meaning of life. But please understand my very Westernized background. Cutting music and art from my life is very taboo for me. And not working with dogs would be especially, very difficult for me. Perhaps I am not in the right mindframe. I am indeed more concerned about serving God/Allah, but I still want to enjoy my personal life.

But I am still interested in Islam and learning more. I just do not know how HONESTLY to approach it when I am a bit off put by the confusion.

I would greatly appreciate any advice others have to offer. Once again, please excuse my ignorance (and sorry for writing so much!). I am still learning very much.

Thank you!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Welcome to TTI. You will be flooded with responses.

Texas has lots of Muslims in the urban areas. You are sure to meet some, InshaAllah.

Do not worry about the music and dogs at this moment. There are more important matters. There is much to learn.

What do you feel is the next step for you to learn? Do not start by being frustrated.

OnAJourney

Hello and thank you for the response.

I do believe there are Muslims where I am originally from; I've seen a few ladies in their hijab there actually. But in my currently location there doesn't seem to be many at all.

My next step to learning? Hmm, well right now I've been leading a bit of the Quran and listening to other people's stories about coming to Islam. I find them pretty interesting and some of them are very easy for my to relate to!

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
as alaamu alaikum (peace be upon you)

It is good to have you here sister :). as aapa said, don't worry about music and dog and art at the moment, inshallah (God willing) you'll understand those issues also once you learn more and deeper later on. For now look at the bigger picture, look at the message Islam is giving, the message of pure Monotheism. You seem to be half way there already so inshallah keep reading on the fundamentals of Islam to build that foundation knowledge for yourself and when you are ready, proclaim the shahada (testimony of faith) and revert back to the path we are all born on. The path of pure Monotheism.

There are a lot of Muslims in texas. What part of texas are you from?

a_stranger

You are most welcome dear , from Islamic point of view serving any creature is a good deed. The following hadith explains:

(1)*!Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "While a man was walking he felt thirsty and went down a well and drank water from it. On coming out of it, he saw a dog panting and eating mud because of excessive thirst. The man said, 'This (dog) is suffering from the same problem as that of mine. So he (went down the well), filled his shoe with water, caught hold of it with his teeth and climbed up and watered the dog. Allah thanked him for his (good) deed and forgave him." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving (the) animals?" He replied, "Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate." *!(Book #40, Hadith #551)

- - - Updated - - -

The Hadith is in sahih Bukhari.

reamy

Salamualeykum wa rahmatullah,
It s all about faith and Imaan sister. May Allah illuminate and lighten our hearts with Imaan. Islam is our save in this life and in the hereafter.
Just one thing i want to tell you:Know allah, Love Allah, and He will Love you and lead you to the right path Inchaalah.:)

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

Welcome! I hope you are enjoying your stay. :)

I listened to a khutbah (a sermon) at one Juma (Friday congregational prayer) that I attended that you might be interested to know. The speaker spoke of a companion of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) that would always ask the Prophet (PBUH) about what extra things he could do to please God. The Prophet (PBUH), naturally said to fast for a day. The companion (unfortunately, his name escapes me), asked for more. To this the Prophet (PBUH) said fast some more days and on and on . . . fast x days out of the week, fast y days out of the month, fast z days out of the year . . .

It got to the point where the companion was fasting every other day. Obviously, the companion was very tired from such and on his deathbed he was asked about it. He said he regretted it to a degree because it took so much out of him. The speaker then gave an example of a friend of his. They both reverted around the same time and were steadily becoming more and more religious. His friend was moving much more rapidly than he, to the point that he had grown a full beard and you'd only find him in two places at any given time of the day: his house or his mosque. Such rapid development had its side effects, and this friend eventually abandoned Islam. To quote the speaker: The same guy "who once invited you over to the mosque on Friday nights for a halakah is now a guy who would rather invite you other to his dorm for a bong hit" (That's marijuana).

The point the speaker was trying to make was that it's great to want to be a Muslim and want to learn, but that we must pace ourselves. We're only human and we have limits. Look at his friend: Although he used to be a good practicing brother in Islam, he is now in a state of disbelief and doing things that will have severe repercussions from God.

Start small. Don't worry about the dogs and music, just yet (you will eventually, as you progress). Focus on the most important aspects of the religion first. Believe that there is only One Almighty, All Powerful, All Knowing God and that Muhammad (PBUH) was His messenger. Work your way up through the aspects of belief but by pacing yourself. Baby steps, my friend, baby steps.

I wish you all the best.

:wasalam:

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
Walikumassalaam.

Great to have you on the forum. Hope you are doing good.

Firstly, focus on your imaan(faith). Once you gain that everything will fall into place. I was listening to a video once, where the scholar was telling that faith is more important, because once you have faith(a nice & strong one) it is very easy for a person to follow the halal things & leave out the haraam things. He also mentioned that, the Surahs & Ayats which where revealed to Prophet(SAW) in the early periods were mainly based on imaan(faith) and the Ayats on rules(about haraam and halal things) were revealed in the later period. So you see, once your faith in Allah(SWT) is there, the rules become easy to follow. :)

Plus, Brother PeacefulHumanity mentioned a very nice point. - Maintain a steady pace in learning, it's a Marathon, so please don't end up being Usain Bolt. :p LOL!

And one more thing from my side. Don't expect all the Muslims to be perfect. Always remember dear sister, that even Muslims are humans just like other people. Even we err and are prone to evil as much as others. :)

May Allah(SWT) guide you.
Peace. :)

Ayyub

Bismillahirahmanirahim

Wa'alaikoum assalam wa ahmatullahi wa barakatuh

@OnAJourney:
How about you take one step at a time!
I mean it is proven that Allah taught islam Mohamed sallahu alayhi wa salam and his companions little by little.

Allah didn't start with that is haram and that is haram, rather He azza wa jal first gave the command to only worship him then the hala's and harams came.

For example Allah didn't forbid alcohol completely at first but rather He azza wa jal only forbade it during prayer at first then He azza wa jal forbade the muslims the alcohol completely.
Why do you think Allah took that way of forbidding it at certain times and thn forbade it completely??

It due to the iman of the ummah. When the iman of the ummah was strong enough that it could take even leaving alcohol Allah gave that law through a new reveation.

So instead of occuping your mind with things that Allah forbade, why don't yu look at it from the other side?
Look how much Allah allowed for mankind to enjoy. Look at how much Allah made halal for his servants.

After a certain time you wil be able to slowly get away from things that Allah forbade.

Allah says in the Quran:
Verily, As-Salat (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahsha' (i.e., great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al-Munkar (i.e., disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil, wicked deed).'' (29:45)

Furthermore Allah says:
Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not.
(2:216)

So OnAJournay:
Take it slowly. Don't occupy yourself with little things. Instead like many here have said learn more abot the principles of Islam and it's pillars.

Assalamou alaikoum

strive-may-i

Wassalaam,

Welcome one again.
Frustration - 'The feeling that accompanies an experience of being thwarted in attaining your goals'. Not a good sign. Either wrong expectation of means or attachment to superficial emotions.

The most important questions - Why belief? And What benefits you get? While you seek answers, the key is sincerity, patience and certainty.

There are many so busy with fulfilling life. Ask them how and why? Or Search with Patience in this forums past threads.

John Smith

Assalaam alaikum,

Welcome to TTI. You will be flooded with responses.

Texas has lots of Muslims in the urban areas. You are sure to meet some, InshaAllah.

Do not worry about the music and dogs at this moment. There are more important matters. There is much to learn.

What do you feel is the next step for you to learn? Do not start by being frustrated.

What Aapa said.

Welcome to the forum & inshallah soon to Islam.

OnAJourney

Many thanks to you all for your replies and advice. They are all greatly appreciated. Sorry I've not been able to answer sooner or in detail; work has kept me very busy!

There are a lot of Muslims in texas. What part of texas are you from?

Wa Alaykum Salam

I am originally from Houston (which I will return to in about two years) but am currently living in El Paso. It doesn't seem to be as cultured at Houston unfortunately.

Also, I very much so agree with what pretty much all of you have said; little steps at a time. I think I have been looking at the big picture and the end result of my goal. At this point in time I should concentrate more the path there. The little steps I must take such as researching, learning, and reading more of the Quran and Islam. I am still in the beginning steps.
I unfortunately have a habit of wanting to rush into things then becoming exhausted or frustrated because I want it to happen NOW and, of course, that doesn't happen. I need patience, and to realize that perfection will never happen, as I am only human, but it is my intention and working towards that.

Once again, thank you!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I fell in love with El Paso. Different country from Houston.

There is a masjid there and they have a Muslim population of over 3000. Call the imam and see if he will have a sister contact you. I just googled masjids in El Paso.

You will have to be patient. It will take several phone calls.

I am not pushing you into reversion but suggesting you take little baby steps and get a feel for the real thing. Have fun.

HaroonM

Assalaam alaikum,

Many years ago I started on the same path as you by asking questions and researching Islam. I was fortunate to be associated with some brothers who were most gracious and answered many of the questions I had. I came to realize that this religion was a most wonderful thing. There are many sisters on this site who are very knowledgeable that will help you immensely and guide you in the correct way.

I follow the Maliki madhab and I have also been a dog lover since I was a child. Most brothers and sisters consider dogs to be Haram however, if kept correctly they do not affect the practice of religion in my opinion.

May Allah (swt) and Muhammad (PBUH) his messenger comfort you and guide you always.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum (peace be upon you) sister from Texas

Welcome to the family of TTI. We are glad to have you.

As for the frustration you have regarding some issues which you mentioned above, inshaAllah (with the Will of Allah) you will learn it in time. Drawing is permissible in Islam except drawing of living creatures. Most of scholars allow drawing of living creatures as well under certain conditions. Example: Without eyes, head and body should not be exactly joined etc.

Allah made it lawful everything good for human beings and made it unlawful anything which will harm the human beings. Sometimes we know the wisdom behind matters and sometimes we do not.

Move on step by step. Make Quran your best friend. InshaAllah you will surely on the right path if you do so. :)

Hoping to hear the wonderful news soon.

Regards

brmm

Assalam Alaikom,
Step1. Do or/and understand the most important thing in Islam (Know the 99 attributes of Allah Almighty so you know why you need to worship Him, Shahada and pillars)
Step2. Do the important things.
Step3. Do the less important things.
Step4. Understand the details.

BRMM