Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia

xAllahKnowsBestx

Innaa illaahi wa innaa ilayhi raajioon. Rapists and pedophiles are being set free but an innocent, poor girl helping out her family is executed subhan'Allah. May Allaah grant her jannatul firdouse. Ameen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20959228

Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Sri Lankan domestic worker for killing a baby in her care in 2005 in a case that has been widely condemned by rights groups.

The maid, Rizana Nafeek, had denied killing the four-month-old boy.

Her supporters say she was only 17 at the time of the killing. They say her execution is a breach of international child rights.

The Sri Lankan government condemned the execution, which it said took place despite numerous clemency pleas.

The Saudi interior ministry said on Wednesday that Ms Nafeek was executed for smothering the infant after an argument with the child's mother in the town of al-Dwadmi.

Translation problems
The Sri Lankan parliament held a minute's silence on Wednesday in honour of Ms Nafeek.

News of the execution came on the same day that the International Labour Organization (ILO) said that laws were needed "urgently" to give greater protection to domestic workers.

The ILO report estimates that only about 10% of all domestic workers - about 5.3 million people - are covered by labour laws to the same degree as other workers.

In Sri Lanka itself, the execution has rekindled debate about the safety of expatriate workers in the Middle East and about the poverty which drives people including Ms Nafeek to seek work abroad.

In a statement, the Sri Lankan foreign ministry said that President Rajapakse and the government deplored the execution "despite all efforts at the highest level of the government and the outcry of the people locally and internationally".

A Sri Lankan opposition MP who campaigns for Sri Lankan workers abroad, Ranjan Ramanayake, described the Saudi government as "dictators" who would never execute Europeans or Americans, only Asians and Africans.

The MP also said the government in Colombo had done little to ensure Rizana Nafeek's legal rights - a claim denied by Sri Lankan government officials.

The parents of Ms Nafeek had repeatedly appealed to King Abdullah to pardon her. Her father is currently in hospital, officials, say, and her mother is too distressed to talk about the execution.

Correspondents say that it appears that employment agents falsified Rizana Nafeek's age so that she could work in Saudi Arabia
Ms Nafeek was convicted in 2007 of murdering four-month-old baby Naif al-Quthaibi, whom she was caring for in 2005.

She said that an initial confession was made under duress and without linguistic assistance. Supporters say that she also had no access to lawyers before her conviction.

Human rights groups including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch (HRW) have criticised the Saudi authorities for their handling of the case, as have campaigners in Sri Lanka, who argue that there were also serious translation problems at the time she confessed to the crime.

They argue that her reported execution breaches the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which Saudi Arabia has ratified.

"Saudi Arabia is one of just three countries that executes people for crimes they committed as children," said senior HRW women's rights researcher Nisha Varia,

"Rizana Nafeek is yet another victim of the deep flaws in Saudi Arabia's judicial system."

The BBC's Charles Haviland in Sri Lanka visited Ms Nafeek's home village in 2010, where he saw a school register and a birth certificate confirming her date of birth.

Our correspondent says that if the documents are genuine, she was a minor when the alleged offence was committed. It also appears that employment agents falsified her age in order for her to get work in Saudi Arabia.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

How do you respond to a thread like this?

Parents sending their child to a foreign country to make money? Corrupt recruiting agencies falsifying records? She worked all of two weeks. Language issues?

Was justice served? No lawyers? A minor in a land where she would never be equal?

She was a minor. The family hired a minor to look after their infant. A minor with no training, no certification, and a language barrier. You hire someone to watch your infant that is still a minor.

I hold the family responsible. You hire a child to look after an infant. I hold the mother of the infant just as responsible. She left her infant in the hands of a minor that she could not communicate with about the welfare of the child.

John Smith

At 17 you are well aware of your actions.

She smothered a baby.

Let's not forget an innocent baby was killed.

You don't need a language to understand killing a child is haram & the country you are working in carries a death sentence for such crimes.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I am not forgetting the baby dying from choking.

But, it seems to me that the care-giver was not qualified to be the care-giver. It was not malicious. It was an accident. If I were to give my baby to someone to watch, trust me, I would make sure they knew something about feeding a child.

Maybe I am naive. Over-here we have certifications. Even for babysitters there are prerequisites. There are 911 numbers. Anyone working with infants is required to have CPR training.

And that is not to say things like this do not happen here. A woman left four children asleep to go to the grocery store..left something on the stove...

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

Those who show mercy to others will receive Mercy from Allah (SWT).

Was this an accident (the baby dying)? Was anything ever proven or was she simply sent to death row as soon as she "confessed"?

:wasalam:

xAllahKnowsBestx

Wa 'alaykum assalam

:salam2:

Those who show mercy to others will receive Mercy from Allah (SWT).

Was this an accident (the baby dying)? Was anything ever proven or was she simply sent to death row as soon as she "confessed"?

:wasalam:

Wa 'alaykum assalam

She believes the baby choked on a bottle by accident when she was feeding him. I think the sister retracted her confession but it was too late.

She smothered a baby.

Assalamu 'alaykum

How do you know? There is no tangible evidence, brother.

She did not deserve to be treated like an animal.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalaam alaikum,

How do you respond to a thread like this?

Parents sending their child to a foreign country to make money? Corrupt recruiting agencies falsifying records? She worked all of two weeks. Language issues?

Was justice served? No lawyers? A minor in a land where she would never be equal?

She was a minor. The family hired a minor to look after their infant. A minor with no training, no certification, and a language barrier. You hire someone to watch your infant that is still a minor.

I hold the family responsible. You hire a child to look after an infant. I hold the mother of the infant just as responsible. She left her infant in the hands of a minor that she could not communicate with about the welfare of the child.

Wa 'alaykum assalam.

Exactly.

luluimaan

Lulu O' La Mer
Assalaam alaykum,

Yea, I don't understand why you would put your trust FOR YOUR BABY in a child who has no qualifications and doesn't speak your language. There is a problem with some societies that think that because you have money, you can just push your responsibilities on "lower" people because it's cheap and expect no consequences. The responsibility is the parents' to determine who is going to be qualified enough to take care of your offspring. Plain and simple. Trust an untrained person with a cat? Sure. Trust an untrained person with your offspring which grew inside of you (in the mother's case) for 9 months while you suffered? You are an idiot. Plus she was a child! Do you think teenage moms can easily take care of their children with no advice or support from her family members? NO. So why would the parents think it's a good idea? Because the maid was cheap and convenient, and that's all that some people care about any more.

Now two lives are lost. Ignorance turns out not to be so blissful.

Shak78

Sadly this is not the first time you have seen this happen in Saudi and it won't be the last. They treat their workers like trash and beneath them, not Islamically at all. They may be the Kingdom that hols the two Holy Mosques but so much behavior there is not Islamic.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

It is really sad that these kind of things are happening, especially that this is happening in Muslim contries, which should be example of justice and fair treatment toward both victim and defendant. Every law needs to be based on just treatment toward defendant,and nobody can not be punished untill it be proven other wise, with truthfull proves.

But this what has happend is not justice, niether by human, niether by law of Allah subhanahu wa telala. I do not understand how they could judge our sister in Islam, without proving that she is really guilty. May Allah guide them. Ameen.

May Allah give patiente to her parents. Ameen summa Ameen

Ayyub

It is really sad that these kind of things are happening, especially that this is happening in Muslim contries, which should be example of justice and fair treatment toward both victim and defendant. Every law needs to be based on just treatment toward defendant,and nobody can not be punished untill it be proven other wise, with truthfull proves.

But this what has happend is not justice, niether by human, niether by law of Allah subhanahu wa telala. I do not understand how they could judge our sister in Islam, without proving that she is really guilty. May Allah guide them. Ameen.

May Allah give patiente to her parents. Ameen summa Ameen

Assalmou Alaikoum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I see you all studied Sharia law to make such claims??
Fear Allah.

First of all the Anti saudi channel or better anti islam channel is never going to tell you the whole story. I mean they are not dumb enough to make islam and muslims look good.
I for one doubt that the saudi judges judged the girl without any reason.

In Islam you don't count as a minor as soon as you reach puberty so don't mix the western ideals with the islamic ones.

Wa'alaikoum assalam

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Fear Allah.

First of all the Anti saudi channel or better anti islam channel is never going to tell you the whole story. I mean they are not dumb enough to make islam and muslims look good.

In Islam you don't count as a minor as soon as you reach puberty so don't mix the western ideals with the islamic ones.

Wa'alaikoum assalam

You should first apply this to yourselfe dear brother. Alhamdulilah, I fear Allah. You should also fear.

This is nothing related with our religion Islaam Alhamdulilah, neither with whole Muslim Ummah.Alhamdulilah we should always say the truth for the sake of Allah. It is related only with Saudia Arabia law,if this is a truth that our sister in Islam was judged without valid proves, it has many defects. And Allah knows the best.

And dear brother, maturity it does not include only physical maturity but as well mental maturity. And not all Western laws are wrong. And Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all. Ameen summa Ameen

Shak78

Fear Allah.

Wa'alaikoum assalam

Are you a scholar in Sharia? This is a pattern in Saudi Arabia when it comes to foreign help from South East Asia and Africa. I am a political Science student and look at more then one or two sources. I have seen the pattern of how they treat their workers who are from that region and they treat them less then dirt, certainly not like they should. Look at the overall pattern and see for yourself. There are laws in the Kingdom that have zilch to do with Islam and all about culture...the ban of women driving for one.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

In Islam we are to enjoin good and forbid evil.

The facts in this case are simple.

The agency that did the paperwork falsified the information regarding the age.

There was no translator for the young girl. The man who translated did not speak the language and has disappeared. She had no-one to assist her. She was not an educated girl and did not know her rights. No one helped her find representation. The case was sent back and forth. Lost in the paper shuffle.
I have not read of any medical reports as to ascertain if this was an accidental death or a murder. There was a chance of a pardon but it was not granted.

No-one won in this case. The Saudis need to reform the laws to protect immigrant workers.

Shak78

Assalaam alaikum,

In Islam we are to enjoin good and forbid evil.

The facts in this case are simple.

The agency that did the paperwork falsified the information regarding the age.

There was no translator for the young girl. The man who translated did not speak the language and has disappeared. She had no-one to assist her. She was not an educated girl and did not know her rights. No one helped her find representation. The case was sent back and forth. Lost in the paper shuffle.
I have not read of any medical reports as to ascertain if this was an accidental death or a murder. There was a chance of a pardon but it was not granted.

No-one won in this case. The Saudis need to reform the laws to protect immigrant workers.

You hit the nail on the head.

You hit the nail on the head.

Actually, she didn't. Law doesn't change for felons. The girl got a taste of her own medicine. One gets hot-tempered and KILLS a baby and expects all to smoothly afterwards? If that was my own baby she killed, I would have beheaded her myself! Saudis are not to blame. All blame goes towards the parents of the 17 yr old murderer who apparently never took time to teach their daughter that smothering a baby is wrong. It's a baby, not a doll. Maybe in Sri Lanka it's permitted to kill babies, but in more civilized countries, there are consequences.

a Hispanic woman in Arizona is facing the death penalty for stabbing her worthless boyfriend. Why are you okay with her being killed? Is that non-muslim man more valuable than an innocent muslim baby?

Shak78

Actually, she didn't. Law doesn't change for felons. The girl got a taste of her own medicine. One gets hot-tempered and KILLS a baby and expects all to smoothly afterwards? If that was my own baby she killed, I would have beheaded her myself! Saudis are not to blame. All blame goes towards the parents of the 17 yr old murderer who apparently never took time to teach their daughter that smothering a baby is wrong. It's a baby, not a doll. Maybe in Sri Lanka it's permitted to kill babies, but in more civilized countries, there are consequences.

a Hispanic woman in Arizona is facing the death penalty for stabbing her worthless boyfriend. Why are you okay with her being killed? Is that non-muslim man more valuable than an innocent muslim baby?

A life is a life, non-Muslim or Muslim, there is no difference to me. Muslim blood is no better then non-Muslim blood especially if it is a child. Our courts are more transparent then Saudi's, and if she killed them beyond a reasonable doubt she should be executed, there is doubt here on what really happened and if she was made to confess. You were not there, you don't know 100% sure of what happened yet you judge this women w/out being there. Saudia Arabia treats is immigrant workers like trash and they have no rights, that is a fact and well documented. They need to do more to protect them from families who abuse them like many do. W/out knowing the case in detail I am not going to pass judgement like you are. If she was innocent and put to death for no reason that is travesty of justice. You are so ready to cast blame when the facts of the case are not clear on either side, I hope you can explain to Allah why are you judging your own sister like this with very little proof.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Why are you so sure she murdered a baby? Did you see her do it with your own eyes? Or do you just want to believe whatever you hear because you have no compassion for your sister in Islam to give her the benefit of the doubt? I'm not saying she didn't do it for sure 100%.. I don't know for a fact. None of us do. Because this case is messed up. But what if.. What if it was an accident? Wouldn't you have just slandered her? You really believe there is absolutely no chance a Muslim sister could be wrongfully executed?

Maybe in Sri Lanka it's permitted to kill babies, but in more civilized countries, there are consequences.

Yeah, because Saudi Arabia is soooo civilized. Ridiculous.

tic_tac_toe

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Excellent question. Does the recruiting agency act as the mahram? The question of survival comes into play. These girls are from poor and destitute families. This is a way out of the poverty. What about this?

And what is the status of an married female residing on your property, one that is Muslim? Can a man have an unmarried, unprotected woman reside in his home?