Is celebrating birthdays haram or encouraged?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Some Muslims consider it haram because they see it as innovation (bidaa) to the religion. On the other hand, other Muslims celebrate Prophet Muhammad's birthday every year by having a gathering that consists of supplications and singing nasheeds.

You just have to come to your own conclusion by reading on the subject and seeing which opinion (or school of thought) you agree with.

wasalam alikom

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

subhanaAllah, we cannot come to 'our own conclusions' naudhubillah but search in Quran and Sunnah! Here is a thread explaining it properly mashaAllah: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77035

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed in Islam.. just like we don't celebrate the birth of Jesus (alayhi salam). Please read below and follow the deen not 'our/your opinion':

what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,I'm having the same question,my mother invited me and my family to celebrate with them a double birthday in a few weeks.there will be my brother's and my daughter's birthday.she insisted a lot,but after a long speech,we concluded that in that day I won't be there to celebrate(when I was not muslimah my parents used to bake a cake for each one of us in the day of our birth,just to remember that we were older)the birthday and I'll make a cake not telling to my daughter that she's older or singing her any songs,but just to share together a good moment.it's difficult to take a good way at this moment,because from one side I have good memories of my passed birthdays,and stopping doing this because it's like imitating jews or christians....well,I was no christian and no jew,but we used to do this.what is wrong on eating a cake or doing something the day of the birth,just to remember how the time passes?please enlighten me before I make a mistake

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Why are you guys so boring!? There is nothing wrong with having a good time with your family/friends and bonding with them by making someone feel special. The whole bidaa thing never made sense to me because birthdays have nothing to do with religion, so how are you adding (or innovating) anything to Islam?0

xAllahKnowsBestx

Birthday celebrations are actually rooted in paganism.

"The ancient world of Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Persia celebrated the birthdays of gods, kings, and nobles. Authors Ralph and Adelin Linton reveal the underlying reason for this. In their book The Lore of Birthdays, they write: Mesopotamia and Egypt, the cradles of civilization, were also the first lands in which men remembered and honoured their birthdays. The keeping of birthday records was important in ancient times principally because a birth date was essential for the casting of a horoscope."

So, there is a direct connection between the Pagan practice of birthday celebrations and astrology (horoscopes and fortune telling)

We're not boring, why should we celebrate birthdays when we can celebrate Allaah's blessings every single day! Fundamentalism starts with FUN! :SMILY288: :D

OsMaN_93

Here to help
" a birth date was important in ancient times principally because a birth date was essential for the casting of a horoscope." or it could be because people wanted to keep track of their age instead... ? Haha also I think fundamentalism is a horrible word :)

xAllahKnowsBestx

or it could be because people wanted to keep track of their age instead... ?

Lol I don't think that takes away from anything I said about birthdays and paganism.

"One source states that the tradition of birthday parties started in Europe. It was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people on the anniversary of their birth and to protect them, they would be visited by friends and family, who would bring good thoughts and wishes."

Just because birthdays are happy-go-lucky innocent days today, it doesn't take away from the fact they have horrible origins. They're traditions developed by people who committed shirk you know.. Even the Christians didn't celebrate them back in the day. :/

Allahu a'lam though

um muhammad al-mahdi

Staff member
assalamu alaykum

you can have all the birthday cakes and birthday parties you want, this is the way 'you' live Islam. Just Allah can change people's idea and guide them. So I won't waste time on that inshallah.

As for those who have chosen Islam as a way of life, the explanation is above. It's all about loving the Prophet sallaAllahu alayhi wa sallam and following his Sunnah inshallah.

And may Allah guide us all!

Sister Hayat, I know what you mean about the good memories of your childhood etc. But you can bake cakes and have fun with your kids any day you like! They have to be special in front of Allah and feel special when they learn the deen, small things that help them to become good Muslims inshallah.

jazakhum Allahu khayran

elqouds2020

jazakum Allahu خيراالسلام عليكم هدا وهو الجواب الصحيح اتبع المصطفى في كل افعاله و اقواله و صفاته عليه افضل الصلاة و السلام......jazakum Allahu Giraalsalam you this is the correct answer follow Mustafa in all his actions and his words and by the best qualities prayer and peace

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I agree with sister UmMuhammed al Mahdi,I can do this in any day ,but don't forget that one day they'll grow up and will see thephotos of my childhood,they'll know how I was,and I don't really know to show them the truth(I was a disbeliever and have another real name,they know me as Hayat).you're right,maybe it's time to change page with no complains.thank you for the advice;)

OsMaN_93

Here to help
sister UmMuhammed al Mahdi, you claim you don't want to waste time on this... Does that mean that you struggle to explain the concept of a birthday celebration being bidaa?
I understand, because it confuses me too.
Wasalam alikom.

um muhammad al-mahdi

Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum Hayat,

Yes, they will know you weren't a Muslim and alhamdulillah Allah has guided you to Islam. You can give examples from the Sahaba etc inshallah and they will be happy and proud to have a mum like you inshallah who baked cakes and have fun with them any day of the year inshallah.

May Allah keep us always on the straight path!

Big hug sister!

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

As Muslims we have two celebrations, the day of Jummu'ah and the two `Eid - why not be content with this?

There are many aspects of un-Islamic lifestyles which are oppressive and become a source of dread and destruction for people. The culture of celebrating birthdays is much less to do with valuing an individual as it has to do with material gain. The very first question a child will be asked by teachers/other children 'What did you GET for your birthday' - promotes greed, expectations of gifts from parents, promotes taking and not giving in return and ultimately, egocentricism.

For a Muslim a birthday carries serious connotations, one should take account of their life if they are old enough.

One could argue that a birthday is not considered a bid'aa because since when was it considered an act of worship anyway? Well even so, it carries numerous ills and the culture you're buying into through celebrating it is far from beneficial. When speaking of celebrating the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (s) then that is certainly bid'aa because it is considered praiseworthy and a source of immense reward by the unfortunate people who happen to be embroiled in the practise.

We seek refuge in Allah from bid'a and all other harmful and un-Islamic influences in society, Ameen.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Assalamu'alaykum,

As Muslims we have two celebrations, the day of Jummu'ah and the two `Eid - why not be content with this?

There are many aspects of un-Islamic lifestyles which are oppressive and become a source of dread and destruction for people. The culture of celebrating birthdays is much less to do with valuing an individual as it has to do with material gain. The very first question a child will be asked by teachers/other children 'What did you GET for your birthday' - promotes greed, expectations of gifts from parents, promotes taking and not giving in return and ultimately, egocentricism.

For a Muslim a birthday carries serious connotations, one should take account of their life if they are old enough.

One could argue that a birthday is not considered a bid'aa because since when was it considered an act of worship anyway? Well even so, it carries numerous ills and the culture you're buying into through celebrating it is far from beneficial. When speaking of celebrating the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (s) then that is certainly bid'aa because it is considered praiseworthy and a source of immense reward by the unfortunate people who happen to be embroiled in the practise.

We seek refuge in Allah from bid'a and all other harmful and un-Islamic influences in society, Ameen.

Allahuma Amin. Well said sister. I really wish people can just accept things the way are in Islam. This whole birthday thing is just something that is corrupting a lot of Muslims especially the children. They look forward to getting gifts and when they don't, they get disappointed, angry etc. at their parents for not giving them gifts. The parents then wish they never started such a bad tradition. There are times when one just cannot afford to buy gifts and treats. Celebrating birthdays instills in the mind of the child that it is something that is REQUIRED AND IS A MUST.

Precious Star

Isn't "bid ah" an innovation in a religious practice?

If so, how can a birthday be considered a religious practice?

This is what a birthday is: it's an excuse for family and friends to come together and exchange warm wishes and love. Over time, as the child grows into adulthood, that adult learns that the value of sharing a birthday celebration has nothing at all to do with gifts, but with cherishing their loved ones.

Family rejoices at the birth of a child. A year later, they want to rejoice again. It ends up being a tradition. Trust me, very few kids go to the library to research the pagan origins of "birthdays".

There is a lot going wrong amongst Muslims these days -- I don't think birthday celebrations are one of them.

I actually think this entire thread is quite interesting, because it is primarily Islamic cultures that have a morbid fascination with age....

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Birthdays originate from pagan rituals. I believe initially the pagans cut of the heads of the enemy of their kind presented them to him on his birthday. Birthday also is custom of the kuffar and we know what Islam says about imitating the kuffar. Lastly, festival is anything that is celebrated periodically, whether it's weekly, monthly, or annually. Therefore anything that is repeated such as Halloween, xmas, thanksgiving, valentines, mother day, father day, birthday, milad un nabi, etc are all regarded as festivals. And Prophet (S) said we have only 2 festivals (the two eids or jummah and 2 eids) and that is all. More can be read on it here inshallah - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1027

As for rejoicing, that can be done any day. It does not have to be a birthday. You can celebrate every single day because you have been given 1 more day to live by Allah. Islamic perspective on aging and living one more day or week/month/year is different than the kuffars. We are told to live your life in the morning as you won't live to see the night and be in the night as you won't live to see the day. We don't find excuses to party hard and rejoice and find silly reasons for holidays or celebrations.

Lastly, it may seem trivial to us but it can be grave in the sight of Allah. There's a reason scholars issue fatwas on these issues and scholars are inheritors of the prophets, not any laymen out to get you for trying to "enjoy" life.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Isn't "bid ah" an innovation in a religious practice?

If so, how can a birthday be considered a religious practice?

This is what a birthday is: it's an excuse for family and friends to come together and exchange warm wishes and love. Over time, as the child grows into adulthood, that adult learns that the value of sharing a birthday celebration has nothing at all to do with gifts, but with cherishing their loved ones.

Family rejoices at the birth of a child. A year later, they want to rejoice again. It ends up being a tradition. Trust me, very few kids go to the library to research the pagan origins of "birthdays".

There is a lot going wrong amongst Muslims these days -- I don't think birthday celebrations are one of them.

I actually think this entire thread is quite interesting, because it is primarily Islamic cultures that have a morbid fascination with age....

Ok so if it's okay to celebrate our own birthdays with a cake and a party, let us do the same for the best of creation. You said it yourself, it becomes a tradition, a must.

rabiul2-20_surat.jpg

040420103047.jpg

This was last years http://tribune.com.pk/story/119437/eid-e-milad-un-nabi-celebrations-whats-new-on-the-milad-menu/

They had an even bigger one this year.

The starting of a bid'ah is often what is considered a harmless practise, when it develops into something as big as this it only serves to oppress ourselves and society at large.