Have you got time to read this? or will you choose ...........

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Abdullah Bin Rawaha

وَلَوْ أَنَّا كَتَبْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ أَنِ اقْتُلُواْ أَنفُسَكُمْ أَوِ اخْرُجُواْ مِن دِيَرِكُم مَّا فَعَلُوهُ إِلا قَلِيلٌ مِّنْهُمْ وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ فَعَلُواْ مَا يُوعَظُونَ بِهِ لَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَّهُمْ وَأَشَدَّ تَثْبِيتًا

"And if We had ordered them (saying), ‘...leave your homes', very few of them would have done it; but if they had done what they were told, it would have been better for them, and would have strengthened their (Faith)." (4:66)

وَإِذًا لأَتَيْنَهُم مِّن لَّدُنَّآ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا

"And indeed We should then have bestowed upon them a great reward from Ourselves." (4:67)

وَلَهَدَيْنَهُمْ صِرَاطًا مُسْتَقِيمًا

"And indeed We should have guided them to the straight Way." (4:68)

وَمَن يُطِعِ اللهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فَأُوْلَئِكَ مَعَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللهُ عَلَيْهِم

"And whoso obey Allah (swt) and the Messenger (Muhammad (saw)), then they will be in the company of those on whom Allah (swt) has bestowed His Grace,...." (4:69)

These ayahs manifest the three necessary requisites to receiving Allah's (swt) blessings:
1) Sacrifice for the sake of Deen
2) Obey the commands of Allah (swt)
3) And Obey His Messenger (saw).

If we gather the stories of our pious ancestors, we see this was the focal point of their lives. They sacrificed everything of wealth, self, and time while maintaining obedience to Allah (swt) and His Messenger (saw) in everyway during every hardship and ease. And accordingly, Allah (swt) blessed them so much that every Muslim aspires to be like them.

Soon after the revelation of the above ayah, Rasulullah (saw) commented, "I can vouch for a Sahabi who is amongst those blessed by Allah." The Sahabah (ra) anxiously waited to hear the name of this auspicious individual. After a slight pause, Rasulullah (saw) uttered from his blessed lips the name, "Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra)."

Who is Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra)? He is one of the prominent sahabi which, unfortuneatly, many individuals are unaware of. Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) was a distinguished sahabi in everyway. He was one of the fortunate individuals amongst the 313 Sahabah (ra) who were with Rasulullah (saw) in the battle of Badr. This battle was a milestone in Islamic history and regarding those who partook in it; Allah (swt) exalted them and stated that He forgave even their future mistakes.

He was also present at the momentous Bai'ya tul Ridwaan (The Oath of Alligiance taken under the tree) about which Allah (swt) revealed the ayah saying, "Allah is pleased with those believers who took the oath of allegiance"

His leadership ability and integrity were such that whenever Rasulullah (saw) would leave Madinah, he would appoint Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) as the leader in his absence. Accordingly, he was known as Ameer ul Madinah, in the absence of Rasulullah (saw). Need one say more about a person whom Rasulullah (saw) appointed in his place while he was away?

Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) had two strong character traits. One was his strict adherence to the commands of Rasulullah (saw) and the other was his unwillingness to stand for anything unislamic being done in his presence.

Before Islam, he was known as one of the best poets. And after accepting Islam, he used that same skill for the work of Deen and defending it from the disbeliever's attacks. Once Umar (ra) objected to his prolific use of poetry and said to him, "Why do you recite so many poems?" Before Abdullah could respond, Rasulullah (saw) stated on his behalf, "Oh Umar! His poems are more effective (against the disbelievers) than your arrows!" The might and power of good oration is clearly illustrated by this statement of Rasulullah (saw).

Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) used this gift of oration for the dawah of Islam. Several individuals came to Islam through him, including the prominent Sahabi, Abu Darda (ra). Abu Darda was always thankful to him for the gift of Islam he received. He often used to say, "I seek Allah's refuge from a day when I don't remember Abdullah bin Rawaha"

After Abdullah bin Rawah's (ra) death, he only spoke about the best qualities of his dear friend, acting upon the ayah of هل جزاء الاحسان الا الاحسان [hal jaza ul ahsaani illal ihsaan] (good deed in return for good favors) And this was his way of paying back Abdullah bin Rawaha for the great favor he received from him.

Abu Darda narrates that it was Abdullah's habit that whenever he would meet one of the Sahabah (ra), he would advice him: تعال نؤمن بالساعة [tala bi muminoona bi sa'a] (Let us sit together and be believers for a moment) and he would sit with the sahabi for a moment, discuss matters of Deen, and then they would disperse.

After his death, Rasulullah (saw) used to remember him by saying, "May Allah bless Abdullah bin Rawaha. He used to establish such gatherings that the angels felt proud to be part of." (Due to the total purity of his intention to gather and discuss solely for the sake of Allah (swt))

Sahabah (ra) say that sometimes we would be traveling with Rasulullah (saw) during the scorching heat. None of us were able to fast with Rasulullah (saw) due to the extreme hardship except for Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra).

Imagine a sahabi who used to stand on the musallah of Rasulullah (saw). He used to stand and lead salah on the muslullah where Rasulullah (saw) used to stand. Is there anything more that we need to say about his character?

It is unfortunate that today our youth know the biodata and statistics of hundreds of athelets, but they don't even know the names of our illustrious ancestors and the sacrifices made by them to preserve this religion so that you and I can easily practice Islam in its pristine form.

Discussions on the downward spiral of the Ummah are now in vogue; how oppressed and helpless Muslims in the world are. But how can we better our situation if we don't even know the basic history of our pious predecessors? We need to become acquainted with them and the measures they took to uplift their communities. It is a historical fact that every nation who forgot their history and broke their connection with their ancestors, that nation was lost and was never able to achieve that status again.

Rasulullah (saw) sent Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) to a place called Mutah in the 8th year of hijra. Rasulullah (saw) prepared the army and addressed them, "Zaid bin Haritha is the commander in chief, if he is martyred, then Jafar bin Abi Talib, if he is martyred, then Abdullah bin Rawaha, and if he is martyred, then Muslims should choose a leader amongst themselves."

After hearing this, Umar (ra) says I realized that surely, these three individuals are not coming back.

Before leaving for the battle, Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) came to Rasulullah (saw) and said, "Ya Rasulullah, after today, I don't know if I will ever see you again. Please give me some advice."

Rasulullah (saw) said to him:
"Abdullah, you are going to a land where very few people are performing sajadah on that land. So perform as much sujud as you can. انك تأتي أرضًا السجود فيها قليل [Inna ka tati ardan as-sujudu fi ha qaleel...] Regarding this point, I've heard the pious scholars of Islam saying that whenever we fly, we try to remain engaged in much zhikr and rememebrance of Allah (swt) because this maybe an area where no one has ever mentioned His name. Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) requested Rasulullah (saw) to tell him more.

Rasulullah (saw) then said, "Remember Allah (swt) in abundance أكثروا من ذكر الله [Aktharoo min zikrallah] because you will always need him and helps is through him." And then the last advice given to him was, "When a feeling comes to you that you are not a good person, don't allow Shaytaan to use that opportunity to take you away from Deen and Ibadah. Instead, use that opportunity to perform even more good deeds. If you remember ten of your sins, perform ibadah and remind yourself that now it is only nine sins. So don't make matters worse, instead use that opportunity to make yourself better.

After taking these advices, Abdullah bin Rawaha (ra) departed. As Rasulullah (saw) had prophesized, all three of these Sahabah (ra) were martyred in Mutah. Through divine revelation, Rasulullah (saw) was informed of their deaths. He stood on the mimbar and announced to the people that those three distinguished Sahabah (ra) had passed away. As Rasulullah (saw) is standing there, the veils of Paradise were lifted, and he said to his Sahabah (ra) that, "I see all three of them in their high positions in Jannah."

May Allah (swt) bless these great sahabah (ra) and all those who were lucky enough to have earned their high positions in Paradise. May he give us tawfeeq to learn about these great sahabah (ra), have love for them, and to follow in their footsteps. Ameen!!!

Author of the Article :
Shaikh Ibrahim Memon Madani

amatullah sajida

السلام عليكم

jazak allah khairan brother

it is great from u to write about sahabah

yesterday night , i was just wondering that all these great people were present in one generation and how luky they were by being by rasulluallah (saw) and again how luky we are for being muslims and having sahabah in our bright history.

salam

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
:salam2:

JazakAllau kahiran brother for sharing this with us.

I request any of the mods please, move this article to the "Biography of Sahabas (RA)" section.