Hair Dye

Ayanle

AssalaamuAlaikum
a quick question which, inshAllah you can help me with. if i were to dye my hair, beard with henna to a dark/deep red colour but it turned out wrong or in a manner unwanted, would i be able to dye it back to my natural blackish/brown colour?

Jazaaka'Allahu khayr

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

How much could go wrong if your hair is almost black? Henna will not be very visible on such dark hair, unless it contains white hair? Just do it, if you want . It washes out eventually anyway.

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
wa alaikum as salam wa rahmathullah

I came across this article and hope it would clear your doubt. Insha Allah

Fiqh of Hair Dyes

Answered by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari, Darul Iftaa (Leicester, UK)
QUESTION: Is it permissible to use hair dyes, and which ones?
ANSWER:
In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.
The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:
“Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews” (Sunan Tirmidhi & Sunan Nasa’i).
He (Allah bless him & give him peace) also stated:
“The best dye to change your old age is Henna (a red plant dye) and Katm (type of grass)” (Narrated by many Hadith Imams).

There is a difference of opinion between the scholars on whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself dyed his hair. However Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with them) did dye the hair of their head and beard, thus it will be classed as recommended (mandub), if not Sunnah.

The great Hanafi Imam, Ala' al-Din al-Haskafi states in his Durr al-Mukhtar:

“It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war”. (Durr al-Mukhtar 5: 271)

It is stated in the famous Hanafi Fiqh Reference book al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah:

“The scholars have all unanimously agreed that it is a Sunnah for men to dye the hair of their head and beard with red colour. It is also considered a sign for Muslims” (5/329).

Pure black dye

The foregoing explanation was regarding using dye other than the colour of pure black. The ruling on using pure black hair dye will defer according to the reason one uses it for.

a) If a warrior (mujahid) used black hair dye in order to create awe and fear into the heart and mind of the enemy, then all the scholars agree that it is permissible (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/329).

b) To use pure black dye in order to deceive somebody, e.g. a prospective fiancée or in order to get a job, then this (according to all) is impermissible.

The Companion Ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah said:
“Whosoever deceives us is not from us” (Sahih Ibn Hibban)

c) The third situation is when pure black dye is used for adornment, meaning the husbands or the wives use it in order to please the spouse. The scholars have differed with regards to its ruling.
Many Hanafi scholars have said that to use pure black dye is not permissible, even for the purpose of adornment and pleasing the spouse.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

“There will be people who will come later (in my Ummah) and apply black dye. They will not even smell the fragrance of paradise” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 2/578).

In another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Abstain from using black dye” (Sahih Muslim).

However other scholars including the great Hanafi jurist and student of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf (Allah have mercy on him) permitted the use of black dye for adornment, especially the wife, to adorn herself for her husband. It has also been narrated from some of the companions such as: Sayyiduna Uthman, Sayyiduna Hasan, Sayyiduna Husain & others (Allah be pleased with them all) that they used black colour dye.

Imam Abu Yusuf also permitted it for men in order to adorn themselves for their wives. His words are:
“As I desire my wife to adorn herself for me, she also desires that I adorn my self for her” (Radd al-Muhtar).

Imam al-Haskafi states in Durr al-Mukhtar:

“It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war according to the sounder opinion. The sounder opinion is that the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) did not do it. It is disliked with black, though some said it is not”

My respected teacher, Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (Allah preserve him) says:

“The final word regarding the using of black dye is that, it will not be considered unlawful (haram), although disliked (makruh). The prohibition in the Hadith will be understood to be confined in the situation when one uses it to deceive others”. (Taqrir Tirmizi, 2/354).

It should also be remembered here that the above discussion is when the dye is pure black. However, if it is not pure, rather it is dark and black-inclined; it would be permissible to apply it.

Also, the dying of hair will not affect the validity of ablutions (wudu) or obligatory bath (ghusl), because the coating is not considered a perceptible barrier.

In conclusion, it is recommended to dye the hair (for men and women) with other then pure black colour. To use pure black dye in order to deceive others is unlawful (haram), and totally permissible for a Mujahid engaged in Jihad. As far as using it for adornment purposes, it will be somewhat disliked (makruh tanzihan), although some have declared to be reprehensible.

And Allah Knows Best
Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester, UK

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
There are a few things that contribute to henna colour.

1) The type of henna, is it for hair or body art?
2) The way in which you soak it, and how long you leave it for
3) The type of your application (be very careful, as it clogs very easily, and can cause breakage)
4) The nature of your own hair (if it's your first time, you will not know)
5) How long you leave it for (for hair, if it's your first, I would say, watch it as it happens, or at least half an hour and go from there)

If you're aiming for colour, and you have greys, remember, they will appear a lot lighter, and if they're among your baby hairs/fly aways, they will absorb colour instantly, it may put you off if you don't like it. If your'e not aiming for colour, but for treatment, I would recommend (I know this will sound absurd): Add water, olive oil, yoghurt, and if you have the nerve, one egg. You only need to see the results of this treatment to believe it. And as mentioned, there's not much that can go wrong, especially that henna, washes out, whereas hair dye, has to grow out.

As for beard experiences, well, unfortunately, I haven't any of that. Good luck!

anisafatima

Thanks for such an enlightening piece. it has great many reminders. really my kind of thoughts on the thriftiness. God bless :)

Mahzala

And I forgot to mention, after the process, when drying your hair, use minimal heat products, even avoid a hair dryer, so as to not bring out the eggy smell. You probably wont forgive me if you hair smelled of egg after a deep, conditioning, fragrant treatment. I would let the hair dry naturally, and if need be, later tame it down with serum and the likes.

(If the initial poster is male, do not consider this post).

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalamu alaykum,

^ Well, of course he's male.. he's got a beard, hasn't he?

Henna is not hair dye anyway. It's a natural leaf of a plant - it fades away within a month or so, especially if you use too much shampoo and stuff on it. And if the hair is black/brown, it won't make it carrot-red. It will only darken the already brown colour with a reddish hue.

Mahzala

He might be, I am not certain. My mention of it? My response doesn't only apply to his question, just general henna experience.

Ayanle

jazakallah khairan for all the response people, really appreciate it
Assalamu alaykum,

Henna is not hair dye anyway. It's a natural leaf of a plant - it fades away within a month or so, especially if you use too much shampoo and stuff on it. And if the hair is black/brown, it won't make it carrot-red. It will only darken the already brown colour with a reddish hue.
thats what i want, i don't want my beard to be bright orange but to deepen and redden my beard in a dark crimson/red colour. i was just asking if it turned out 'dodgy' could i dye my beard back to its natural colour or atleast a back to dark. not bothered if my hairs a mess as i could just cut it short but i obviously don't want to shave my beard off.

what kind of dyes are permissible?, could you get any old type of the shop shelf? as for black dye, there are some dyes which are near black but not quite so, would they be permissible?

oh, and how do you add an avatar? i'm rubbish with these types of things

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Brother, do it as a Sunnah, and think of all the great men who dyed and died. Just do it.

I recommend also using the brothers section : ) we don't need sisters telling us how to look after ourselves. lol

At the top of the page, you will see your username, and just look around there in account settings. I would give you a link, but it is better for you to explore and find the settings yourself in sha Allah!