Lies catch up with us eventually...

Bi'smillah Al rahman Al raheem (In the name of Allah the most gracious and most merciful)
Salam brothers and sisters,

I am in quite the predicament. I have been living a lie and before I could summon the courage to come clean I was caught by my parents. My problem is that I have been telling my parents that I've been doing good in school when the reality is that I would stay home play video games and not go to class which led to me failing. My parents found out and are very disappointed and upset. However, I don't know how I can show them that I have increased my faith in islam and I want to repent for the lies I told. I have done shameful things in the past, but I fear if I tell them it will not only shame them, but the shock could harm their health. I love my parents more than anything in the world, but I am too scared to tell them. What do I do?

Koke

Pray, pray again, and then pray some more. Allah is the one you need to ask for forgiveness and support. If you feel the need to tell your parents, then approach the topic softly. Appeal to them at a religious level and tell them that before you were not so strong in Islam and you need their help. I am sure if you ask for their support and help at becoming a 'better' Muslim that they will forgive you for your wrong doings and help you to stay on the right path. Show your parents you trust them and need them at this time in your life.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Bi'smillah Al rahman Al raheem (In the name of Allah the most gracious and most merciful)
Salam brothers and sisters,

I am in quite the predicament. I have been living a lie and before I could summon the courage to come clean I was caught by my parents. My problem is that I have been telling my parents that I've been doing good in school when the reality is that I would stay home play video games and not go to class which led to me failing. My parents found out and are very disappointed and upset. However, I don't know how I can show them that I have increased my faith in islam and I want to repent for the lies I told. I have done shameful things in the past, but I fear if I tell them it will not only shame them, but the shock could harm their health. I love my parents more than anything in the world, but I am too scared to tell them. What do I do?

Wa aleikum salam wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

I think the best way to show them you changed and you want to be better is to take things in your school from where they are broken and work for good results this time.
Life is not just having fun, we need to be productive and video games are just wasting your time.
Alhamdulillah that you are a better muslim but remember that hadith where is said that faith has many branches. Pay attention to all aspects like not be lazy, pay respect to others and to yourself too.
May Allah help you and do not worry about your parents, they will not be angry on you, they want the best for you because they love you.

Salam

Thank you for your responses! My parents have found everything out and are SEVERELY upset. I have come clean about EVERYTHING wrong I have done. The alcohol I drank, the drug I indulged in and the video games I spent hours on and I have never seen so much disappointment and I know they will not trust me again. I have decided to wear the hijab as repentance and complete indulgence in Islam (which I understand to literally mean submittance to the one and only allah). I believe that this is one of the many steps I am taking to become the best muslimah I can be.

Even though I know that right now I have devastated and destroyed my parents trust inshallah this site and all your help will keep me on the right path till the end. I know my parents will trust me because despite all this my father is allowing me to reapply to university under the major I want and not what they thought I wanted. I truly believe I am blessed with great parents and I will do everything in my power to regain that trust and that shall be through Islam.

Thank you sisters for you help and may allah bless and keep us all guided on the right path!

assalamu alaykum sister,

Allah will make things better for you in sha Allah.

Thank you brother. The one thing good about this situation is that both my parents are mashallah good muslims and after they slept on it my parents are still talking to me and advising me on how to repent. They admit that they dont trust me, but they also said that with time they KNOW they will learn to trust me again and alhamdulillah-- as I said-- I was blessed with the greatest parents. I know that by my actions and indulgence in islam FULLY that itself will help build that foundation of trust, but I will also use Islam as an example in who I choose as friends (in reality my indulgence in those haram things was because I was weak of faith and heart and succumbed to peer pressure). So inshallah by getting closer to allah asking him for his forgiveness everyday I can regain that trust and my soul will be more at ease (alhamdulillah I'm already feeling more happy just by mentioning allah and thinking about the ways I can worship him)

Islam... what a beautiful religion that even though idea of it brings peace to ones heart. La ilaha ila allah wa subhanallah.