Foods for Ramadan

AneesaSofia

Assalumu Alakiam,
I am not sure if this is the correct place to be asking my question so I thought I would try here first. I am looking for recipes or advice as to how to cook foods during Ramadan especially Iftar for my husband who is Somali. I myself am not and I would like to cook the foods he would enjoy. I do know how to cook some things such as; Malowa (not sure how to spell), fried bread, sambusa and a couple others. If anyone has any suggestions or know where I can get some recipes specifically for Somali please let me know. Thank you!

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaah, sister

This is the Lounge--where anything and everything is acceptable, so don't worry. :)

We have lots of Somali members here, most of them aren't very active though...

I've pretty much been eating Somali food for as long as I can remember. I can't really give you recipes as i'm not much of a cook but I'll name all the Ramadhaan food I can think of...in their Somali names. :)

There's Malawah and Sambus (which you've already mentioned). How does a fried bread look like, btw? Do they call it bur?

You can get creative with the sambus though. Make a different type every once in a while. Meat sambus, fish sambus, potatoe sambus, beans/green peas sambus, vegetable sambus. (I love the potatoe one!)

Bur [slightly large and square-shaped]
Bur kukuus [on the smaller side and circle-shaped]
Bur-buskut (biscuit) [small and square-shaped]
Mishari/shurbo
Muufo/chapati
Kimis & kalaankal
Mandhasi [triangle-shaped]
Mushmush/ma`sharo (my personal favorite!)
Baradho [potatoes with fillings (usually eggs) inside. Either red or orange in color]
Glazed (dunno the Somali word for it) bur [medium and circle-shaped]

Oh and Somalians love Custard.

AneesaSofia

Thank you sister. This will be extremely helpful. I will at least be able to search the names of these to try and find a recipe. Thanks again.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Assalumu Alakiam,
I am not sure if this is the correct place to be asking my question so I thought I would try here first. I am looking for recipes or advice as to how to cook foods during Ramadan especially Iftar for my husband who is Somali. I myself am not and I would like to cook the foods he would enjoy. I do know how to cook some things such as; Malowa (not sure how to spell), fried bread, sambusa and a couple others. If anyone has any suggestions or know where I can get some recipes specifically for Somali please let me know. Thank you!

:bismillah:
:salam:

Dear sister
check out these youtube's video channel on Somali foods

Click>http://www.youtube.com/user/somalirecipes/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=p

Click>http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Somali food&oq=Somali food&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.905062.909569.0.909875.6.6.0.0.0.0.123.433.5j1.6.0...0.0...1ac.1j2.11.youtube.qpZPQDADIBs

hope they help.

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

AneesaSofia

I also was wondering if there are any type of foods that I can make during Ramadaan that I can store or if there is a method as to how I can make a lot of something? I am a busy mother of 6 and could really use some advice as to how I can stay on top of the cooking during Ramadaan and to be able to cook a variety of foods.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Maybe you can make a huge amount of food (unbaked of course) at once and then stuff them in ziplocks and put them in the freezer. I remember an aunt of mine used to do that with sambus and 3ajeen (dough) for the bur .

:salam: