New to Study of Islamic Faith

Sue

Hello! It has now been well over a year since I first began reading and learning about the Islamic faith, however, I have yet to meet a Muslim that I can talk with and ask questions. There is even a mosque that is only 5 minites away from where I live, but I don't know anyone who goes there that could advise me on just how a person prepares to go inside. Do I need to be a member? Do I need to learn certain prayers? What do I wear, and what does a person do, who has osteoarthritis in both knees and cannot kneel to pray, but must stand or sit? I come from a Protestant Christian background, but have been on a spiritual quest, since the age of 27 (I am now 61), to find the religion that would fill the spiritual emptiness that I have often felt over the years. My husband and I have been married for 28 years (he is not religious, but is very kind and supportive of my interests), and we are the parents of three grown sons, who live in various parts of the United States, and the grandparents of two grandsons, ages 19 and 8. I work full-time as a Medical Secretary in a doctor's office and my favorite part of the job is the people that I meet, who often need someone to talk to who will show them kindness and compassion. To me, the most important thing I can do on a day to day basis is to reach out to others with love. So, I hope that you will also reach out to me, so that I can continue to learn and grow in my understanding of the Islamic faith. May Allah bless each and every one of you richly.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Hello Sue

Welcome on site, is nice to have you here.
I felt the same while going first time to mosque, i am 26 years and this was 2 years ago, i had a scarf as hijab, i entered and just asked the imam there, what should i do ? :) He said wait here while they had prayer, i was still learning my prayers, then we talked and i received some islamic books and translation of Quran, mashAllah.

A person can pray in the position that he can, The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to ‘Imraan ibn Husayn: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot, then lying on your side.”
Islam is easy and ..just natural way of living, to belive in one God and to be the best muslim one can be.. sad that many people debate over it still in confusion, having conflict of interests..

Things will work out with good intentions, inshAllah,
I find your job great, is on top of my list for next jobs/projects inshAllah.
salam

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Hello, Sue! Welcome to the site, we're very happy to have you here with us by the grace of Allaah.

All Praise and gratitude is due to Allaah for finally guiding you to Islam.
You've been on the searching for 34 years!! That's really amazing! Reminds me Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be please with him), of a companion of the prophet Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who went through a similar experience. =)

I think you'll be our new eldest sister, soon. :) We had a sister who was in her 50's but she's not around now.

Don't worry too much, sister. Just call up the Mosque and ask when's a good time to come in and take your Shahaadah. Then either take your husband or one of your son/grandsons with you, just so you won't feel uncomfortable, and put on any scarf you have at home along with baggy, long sleeve shirts and a long skirt/long, baggy pants (if you have them at home) and you'll be good to go, inshaa'Allaah (Allaah Willing).

And as sister Hajjar said, it's allowed for you to pray sitting.
'Imraan ibn Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I had haemorrhoids, and I asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about praying. He said: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot, then lying on your side.” (Bukhari #1050)

It was also narrated by al-Bukhaari, Abu Dawood and al-Nasaa’i, who added: “If you cannot, then lying on your back, and Allaah does not burden any soul beyond its scope.”

Read through this when you get the time: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/67934

You seem to have a wonderful family and a good job that you enjoy. I'm happy for you, dear sister.

Inshaa'Allaah (Allah Willing), I hope we get to hear the good news about your visit to the Mosque soon. :) And hopefully one day, you whole family will follow in your path.

Take Care, sister.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Hello Sue,

Welcome to TurnToIslam! You made such an interesting introduction! The sisters above have already answered your questions. But if you want to ask some more... Please do so!

fatma_said

Welcome Sue. When I was reading your post I could only assume as to the beauty of your character and the wisdom in your words. May you find peace and contentment in Islam :)

Sue

Hello Sue

Welcome on site, is nice to have you here.
I felt the same while going first time to mosque, i am 26 years and this was 2 years ago, i had a scarf as hijab, i entered and just asked the imam there, what should i do ? :) He said wait here while they had prayer, i was still learning my prayers, then we talked and i received some islamic books and translation of Quran, mashAllah.

A person can pray in the position that he can, The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to ‘Imraan ibn Husayn: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot, then lying on your side.”
Islam is easy and ..just natural way of living, to belive in one God and to be the best muslim one can be.. sad that many people debate over it still in confusion, having conflict of interests..

Things will work out with good intentions, inshAllah,
I find your job great, is on top of my list for next jobs/projects inshAllah.
salam

Sue

Dear Hajjerr,

Thank you so much for welcoming me to the site! You have the honor of being the first Muslim sister I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. It is nice to know that you were brave enough to just enter the mosque and ask for help. When I go back to work tomorrow, I will make a telephone call to see when I might speak to the iman. I hope people will be welcoming as I am so excited to be a part of this community, and it will probably be obvious that I am new.

You have been a great encouragement to me! I hope we will talk again soon.

Salam,
Sue

Sue

Hello, Sue! Welcome to the site, we're very happy to have you here with us by the grace of Allaah.

All Praise and gratitude is due to Allaah for finally guiding you to Islam.
You've been on the searching for 34 years!! That's really amazing! Reminds me Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be please with him), of a companion of the prophet Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who went through a similar experience. =)

I think you'll be our new eldest sister, soon. :) We had a sister who was in her 50's but she's not around now.

Don't worry too much, sister. Just call up the Mosque and ask when's a good time to come in and take your Shahaadah. Then either take your husband or one of your son/grandsons with you, just so you won't feel uncomfortable, and put on any scarf you have at home along with baggy, long sleeve shirts and a long skirt/long, baggy pants (if you have them at home) and you'll be good to go, inshaa'Allaah (Allaah Willing).

And as sister Hajjar said, it's allowed for you to pray sitting.
'Imraan ibn Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I had haemorrhoids, and I asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about praying. He said: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot, then lying on your side.” (Bukhari #1050)

It was also narrated by al-Bukhaari, Abu Dawood and al-Nasaa’i, who added: “If you cannot, then lying on your back, and Allaah does not burden any soul beyond its scope.”

Read through this when you get the time: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/67934

You seem to have a wonderful family and a good job that you enjoy. I'm happy for you, dear sister.

Inshaa'Allaah (Allah Willing), I hope we get to hear the good news about your visit to the Mosque soon. :) And hopefully one day, you whole family will follow in your path.

Take Care, sister.

Sue

Dear Janaan,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome to the site and for answering my questions -- there are so many more. Although it may sound funny, I was worried about what I should wear, and have been online trying to find the best websites to order some clothing that would be appropriate. Since I am older, I tend to be more modest in how I dress anyway, and it should be easy to find a scarf as I live near a large shopping mall.

I've read that the men and women pray separately in the Mosque ,and I wondered if I need to take off my shoes when inside? I hope the members will be as welcoming as you are and that I will soon have some sister friends there to guide me.

I will read through islamqa.info tonight, and I will definitely let you know about my first visit to the Mosque. Here's hoping the upcoming week will be a good one for you, and thanks again for corresponding with me. You have been very helpful and encouraging.

You take care, too!
Sue

P.S. I came across this quote recently. Enjoy!

"You cannot love Allah who you do not see, if you do not love your neighbor with whom you live."

Sue

Dear Staff Member ~ Thank you for your warm welcome! It is so comforting to know there are so many people who are so willing to answer my many questions! Have a wonderful week!

Sue

Dear Fatma-Said ~ Thank you for sending such a beautiful response to my introduction. I am so glad to have found the Islamic faith and hope that those brothers and sisters I will eventually meet at the Mosque will be as kind. Have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Sue

AneesaSofia

Hello Sue,
Welcome to the site and I hope you will be able to find what you are looking for. As a new convert to Islam I shall say that it is really nice to meet more and to answer your questions about going to a Mosque and whether you should take your shoes off, It is proper to take your shoes off first thing when you enter. The Mosque that I have gone to all have a place where you can place them. Also I would recommend going to any store that sells scarfs and you can use that to cover your hair. I buy some from a store called burlington coat factory and you can even find videos on youtube that will show you how to put them on, practice is how I learned. The other members answered your questions very well. When you go to the Mosque I am sure they will be very welcoming and eager to help you with your questions. When I began with learning about the religion many women were of great help to me and I am very grateful to them. Islam is a relgion of peace and I say Alhumdullilah for Allah showing me the way. Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with. I am a convert so I know how it can be in the beginning.

Sue

Hello Sue,
Welcome to the site and I hope you will be able to find what you are looking for. As a new convert to Islam I shall say that it is really nice to meet more and to answer your questions about going to a Mosque and whether you should take your shoes off, It is proper to take your shoes off first thing when you enter. The Mosque that I have gone to all have a place where you can place them. Also I would recommend going to any store that sells scarfs and you can use that to cover your hair. I buy some from a store called burlington coat factory and you can even find videos on youtube that will show you how to put them on, practice is how I learned. The other members answered your questions very well. When you go to the Mosque I am sure they will be very welcoming and eager to help you with your questions. When I began with learning about the religion many women were of great help to me and I am very grateful to them. Islam is a relgion of peace and I say Alhumdullilah for Allah showing me the way. Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with. I am a convert so I know how it can be in the beginning.

Sue

Dear AneesaSofia,
What a beautiful name you have and how kind you are for welcoming me to the site, answering some of my questions, and offering encouragement. I suppose I am too worried about the little things, but I want so much to do the right thing, especially when I enter the mosque for the first time. I agree that Islam is a religion of peace, and I am so happy that I took the time to read and learn about this faith. So many people in the United States have no idea what Muslims believe and, unfortunately, do not take the time to find out.
I will let you know how I am doing in the future and if further help is needed. Thank you again for the part you have played in my Islamic faith journey. May Allah bless you always.