Coconut Barfis

Whysper

Ingredients:

4 cups (400 g), dry, finely shredded coconut
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ tsp Cardamom –powdered
½ tsp Butter or Ghee

1. In a non-stick pan, on Medium heat, roast Coconut until you get a nice smell. Do not brown.
2. Add in Sweetened Condensed Milk and the Cardamom.
3. Mix well and continue to cook and stir until the ingredients clump together (approximately 2 to 3 minutes).
4. Turn off the heat
5. Lightly smear bottom of a flat baking sheet with Butter or Ghee.
6. Pour coconut mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it evenly.
7. Refrigerate for about an hour.
8. Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares or diamond shapes.

9. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Whysper

Mmmm they SO are!

But I usually do not say the name of them till after people have eaten them LOL.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Ooh I know this...finally a sweet I'm familiar with!

We call it "Qumbo" in Somali.

:salam:

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
I think I am going to start calling it Qumbo! It is a LOT better then calling it a barfi! LOL

Yes it definitely does sound better. =) I actually had no idea of its name till now... Barfi?o_O

Whysper

I think you guys did good on the name LOL.

And I love the emoticons on this site. It has one for EVERYTHING lol

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Ooh I know this...finally a sweet I'm familiar with!

We call it "Qumbo" in Somali.

This one is Somali sweet? I need to try it and serve to my somali friends in here. Most of them usually love everything very sweet, including my peppermint sweets and chai tea.

Hydden

My mother doesn't use condensed milk in barfis, but damn, this is making crave for some. It's not like a barfi is going to pop out of the PC screen anyway.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Barfis are Indian sweets.. why are you guys laughing at the name?

*thinks*

Oh because of the 'barf'? No, you say it like burfi. It's not baarfi. Lol... now why did all of you get the same wrong idea?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Here's video to see how to say it. You only need to see first 25 seconds of it for the name.

Note: Music in first ten seconds, please mute.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I don´t see video but I think that this combination (coconut - consered milk - cardamom - butter) is quite common in everywhere to make some kind of sweets.

World seems to be yummy place - everywhere people have ability to make sweets...

:p

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

Subhanallah I searched on google for a picture of this sweet and mashallah I love it! I just didn't know the name.

Jazakillahu khayran sister Whysper for sharing the recipe!

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member

Barfis are Indian sweets.. why are you guys laughing at the name?

*thinks*

Oh because of the 'barf'? No, you say it like burfi. It's not baarfi. Lol... now why did all of you get the same wrong idea?

Lol but it totally sounds like it - even when the woman in the vid said it. What does it mean though?

PS. Why no heads up for the music in the video? :SMILY286:

Whysper

Assalam Alikium Sisters
You mean for the past year I have been pronouncing it wrong! :SMILY198: Oh my I am lauging at myself right now. I got the recipe of somebody during my trip to Trinidad last summer. I think must of miss understood her because of her accent. THANK YOU for clearing that up!

Oh my too funny. Thank you I actually needed that laugh today.

Bless you all <3 This place is great! ALLHAMDULILLAH for each one of you!

P.S. And yes, Sister Sunnah it still sounds like they are saying it in the video. LOL.

But who cares lets just eat and be merry! :banana: