please help me

lama

Argument #1: Muhammad was human, so therefore he was liable to sin, due to his human frailties.

This is a very fallacious statement.

Ethics:

A set of universal principles, which draw the boundary between right and wrong. Transcends all time, space, tradition, values, and culture.

Morals:

Certain values relative to a certain time, place, culture, setting, tradition, or ideology.

Moral values have always been in parallel with the setting of society. They are relative to those who interpret them in one way or another, they are no higher than the society. But ethics, on the other hand, is above the society, it transcends all cultural and traditional boundaries, it is fixed universally seperating "right" from "wrong".

What the Greeks use to do with their babies, was moral at that time. But it was not ethical. When the Arabs practiced infanticide, it was moral at that time, but not ethical.

Muslims claim that the advent of Islam met with the eradication of what was morally accepted at that time. Henceforth, we would have also expected Islam to eradicate such morally tolerable traditions, as marrying young girls. Right? Just as we said, morals is parallel with the culture of a society, but ethics is above it. Similarly, the prophet is supposed to be not in parallel with the society's culture/morals(since he claimed to have come to abolish it), but above it. From this, we would at least expect him to abolish the tradition that regulated old men to marry young girls. Is that not only logical to assume?

(Please read the following statement carefully)

You cannot morally relativize the actions of a man, who claimed to have come to abolish what was morally relative at that certain time. This is an oxymoron; an illogical statement. Its like saying a "circle-square". It is just not concievable.

How do we know that Muhammad was above humanity and supposed to be sinless?

"And surely thou hast sublime morals" (Q. 68:4)

"Indeed in the Messenger of Allah you have a good example to follow" (Q. 33:21)

And how do we know the Quran is above all humanity, irrespective of time, space, and culture? Because the Quran is supposed to be eternally from heaven, for all of mankind to follow. This is the Islamic claim. It came from heaven, how much more perfect can it be?

Argument #2: Everyone was practicing this primitive tradition at that time.

Although many societies practiced traditions of backwardness 1400 years ago, people were still consciously aware of what was ethical and what was not. I think the following hadith reveals this:

Sahih Bukhari:

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 18:

Narrated 'Ursa:

The Prophet asked Abu Bakr for 'Aisha's hand in marriage. Abu Bakr said "But I am your brother." The Prophet said, "You are my brother in Allah's religion and His Book, but she (Aisha) is lawful for me to marry."

Conclusion:

Now we must pose the following question: if many great moral symbols, during pre-Islamic times, such as Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus of Nazareth, were able to preach good values of right and wrong, without succumbing to the morally relative values such as stoning, cultural marriage, etc. considering most of them were not even believed to be prophets by the majority of people, then why the man 1.2 billion people see as a prophet, couldnt emulate the former 1400 years ago(with Ayesha)?

hello i saw this online yesterday and i had to say something foir this guy,,unfortunatly i lack of evidences i have some notes over what he said and i need help in arguments and examples
1.the fact that quor'an is over time space and cultures
2.the fact that everything that prophet mohamed does is because of what god has inspired him
3.the whole thing about marrying a nine year old,if u can give me details about the fact that girls in al jazeera become women at nine
plz reply fast because i want to teach that guy a lesson!

PaxVobiscum

Submitted'nSatisfied
Dear Sister, Assalamo Alaiukum,

My advice to you is to avoid getting into discussion with these people or popularizing their vicious allegations. There are many websites that are spreading hatred against Islam, Muslims and our bleloved Prophet (SAW) and those making most of these personal allegations are not really interested in learning rather thier primary interest seems to be in throwing mud at Islam.

I realize that the urge to "teach them a lesson" is very strong, but I think the better way is to tell them the good things about Islam and try to soften their hearts towards it rather than entering endless cycle of rebuttals. I do know a brother who has been trying to answer most of these allegations and I will send you his website in a personal message (and not here on the forum, because I do not want to make these kinds of arguments popular).

Take care
your brother

Raed

Muslim Student
Sister beleive me even if you replay thier question and tech them lesson, they will come from another direction and try to urge again and again, and they will never stop, cause if they wanted the truth they can find it... and everything is clear in islam.. but if want there are alot of threads been dicussed abt those issues before in this forum, u can try to search, or i hope one of the moderators will give you the links...
wa slam

Raed

Muslim Student
So what? my mother's grandmother she is still alive, and she got married when she was 11 years old, and give a birth of my grandfather when she was 14.. she said that was so normal and super normal...

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Welcome sister lama,

Kindly leave such discussion unless you do not complete your own learning about major issues.

Following links are of use:

http://www.muslim-answers.org/Polemics-Rebuttals/aishah.htm

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2585

--------------------------------------------

I had a discussion with a nonMuslim lady, following is my reply to her:

Yes, the age of Aishah (R.A) was 9 years at the marriage. No need to deny and no need to feel sick about it.

Kindly let me if you have any other objection about Islam. I will be happy to resolve in objection. BUT you need to thoroughly and carefully visit the resources I mentioned. After reading the source, Over that if you have any further question or disagreement then please let me know.

Just to let you know that there were eleven marriages in the life of Muhammad (SAW). His first marriage was with a 40 years old 'widow' when he was at his peaks of Manhood. His repute even among his enemies was such high that he was called 'Saadiq' (True) and 'Ameen' (Honest) by the people. The people only became enemies when he told them of the Oneness of God, but still his enemies used to keep their items in his possession. The enmity was on the point of religion but no in Character, AND that enmity started when Prophet (SAW) turned 40 (upon revelation). Till the age of 40 and even after that, people knew him to be of highest moral and character. If we only take at least the first 40 years (before his declaration of prophethood) then he was considered very honest and of high character.

Now, the man of such a high character and repute, at the age of 25 could marry any beautiful virgin daughter of the chiefs of the Arab (as Muhammad was the son of the highest chiefs of Arab). If Muhammad (SAW) was to follow the lust, then why did not he marry the young ones and instead he married a 40 years old woman who was widow?

Having said that, out of his 11 wives all his life, 10 were the widows. Only Aisha was virgin. Please use your brain for overall context I described above. If Muhammad, who was the ruler of kingdom of Arab AND who could get the beautiful daughters of the chiefs of Arab, he married 10 widows? People used to have FAITH in him and it is not a small thing to say that people were there to DIE for him and sacrifice their anything for him.

Furthermore, Aisha was the daughter of his closest friend, and was properly married under the permission of her father according to the local cutom of young marriages in Arab. It was not some pre-marital molestation but an openly announced and formal marriage and not some hidden molestion under the viels.

Now, your horrible imaginations about having sex with child:

If Aisha felt so bad, or horrified, why did not she run away or at least showed her annoyance to anyone when she grew up? Why not after the death of Prophet (SAW) when she was totally grown up lady?

Instead , Contrary to above, She even was the leader of one group of Muslims after the death of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) AND the Ahadith(plural of Hadith) we have today.. 50% of those Ahadith are just narrated by Aisha. If Aisha so much disliked or was horrified by the young marital relation then why did she love Prophet so much that 50% of Ahadith just narrated by her?

If she felt so bad about the marital relation, why did not she keep all those Ahadith to herself? She was free to do so.

The fact is that, people will keep on being paranoid on their over-rationality. I personally prefer Atheists over Christians and congratulate them for their rationality and intellect that they are not just being dumbly following each and everything of Christianity as word of God, but they use their brain. On the other hand, being over-rational and trashing all the phylosophy of a religion just on the basis of your own incomplete knowledge, is not fair.

Now just last few bits. Out of 10 widows who were married to Muhammad (SAW), most of them were married for good tribal relationships, moral support ..or political purposes to strengthen the relationships. If you study history you would know what is the impact of marriage of a king/ruler with someone.

About your comment about morality. Who defines morality? Homosexuality was utmost wrong in the past. In all the thousands of years history, homosexuality has been legalized in the past 50 years. Who defines morality? You think homosexuality to be moral, while if I bring back those people , they will say you are absured and homosexuality is evil. How can you say that homosexuality is right? on what moral basis? The answer to this question is: your morality is defined by society. The morality I talk about is not defined by the creation but Creator. ( but please keep this morality talk to later times, better ponder about what I explained about this historical context).

Please try to use your positive part of mind also and look for the bigger picture.

If you are interested to know about Islam through proper resources then please let me know.

----------------------------------------------------

Furthermore:

This info would be of use to you to understand the societal mindset:

So, marrying an adult person at the age of 9 is disgusting? Lets see:

Age of consent is the minimum age at which a person is considered to be capable of legally having sex.

Kindly read the following to open your eyes and to know that, after passing thousand of years, how the human mindset suddenly developed in just last one century to start to feel bad about marrying young persons. And even today, there are many many countries with the age of consent of 12 or 13 years in their law. It seems people just have 1 or 2 centuries long memory. They dont know what was the societal mindset about the marriages and age of concent just before the last century. Kindly read and observe the sudden evolution of the human mindset:

Spain: The age of consent is 13 years. A new Criminal Code was introduced in 1995 which specified an age of consent of 12 under Article 181f for all sexual acts; and this was raised to 13 a few years later.

Cyprus: The Age of Consent for Woman/Boy anal intercourse is 13 years. No age limit for other contacts

France: Age for heterosexual was 13 years. The latter was increased to 15 in 1945. In 1978, the age of consent for homosexual acts was lowered to 18, and later, in 1981, it was further lowered to 15, in line with heterosexual acts.

Italy: The age of consent in Italy is 14 years, with a close in age exception that reduces the minimum age to 13 if the participants' ages are less than 3 years apart.

England: The age of consent for heterosexual acts was set at 12 in 1275 and remained so for six centuries. A concern that young girls were being sold into brothels led Parliament to raise the age of consent to 13 in 1875 under the Offences Against the Person Act 1875. 10 years later, the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885 further raised the age of consent to 16; and also criminalized male homosexual acts.

Canada: The age of consent for heterosexual vaginal sex was 12 until 1890 when parliament raised it to 14. It still stays at 14.

Mexico: Federal law may allow relations between young persons as low as 12.

Japan: The National age of consent in Japan is 13 for both males and females

China: In China (PRC) the national legal age of consent for sexual activity is 14 years for both males and females.

Argentina: The age of consent in Argentina is 13 years.

Bolivia: The age of consent in Bolivia is set at puberty (no matter someone gets puberty at the age of 7)

Zimbabwe: Age of consent is 12 years.

And dozens of other countries have age of consent that which most of people could consider as childhood, such as 12, 13, 14 or even no concept of age limit was there in the history of some countries.

If just one or two centuries ago it was considered lawful to marry a 12 years old, then how about 1400 years ago? Marrying 12 years old two centuries ago was ok even if the girl was not adult? but marrying 9 years old 'ADULT girl' fourteen centureis ago was disgusting? Please dont apply double standards.

References:
Waites, Matthew (2005). The Age of Consent: Young People, Sexuality and Citizenship. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 1-4039-2173-3.
(one reference link removed because it is about a Gay/Lesbian website)
http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=78

---------------------------------------

Further more, about the lame argument that girls cant get puberty at early age:

http://news.netscape.com/story/2006/07/08/9-year-old-girl-gives-birth

Maturity is not bound by the age:

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=4158&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

------------------------------------------

Wasslaam,
VE

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
And mind it, My comments are not some authentication but are for the sake of arguments. But I suggest you not to argue with those people but learn yourself about islam first.

Wasslaam,
VE

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Dear Sister, Assalamo Alaiukum,

My advice to you is to avoid getting into discussion with these people or popularizing their vicious allegations. There are many websites that are spreading hatred against Islam, Muslims and our bleloved Prophet (SAW) and those making most of these personal allegations are not really interested in learning rather thier primary interest seems to be in throwing mud at Islam.

I realize that the urge to "teach them a lesson" is very strong, but I think the better way is to tell them the good things about Islam and try to soften their hearts towards it rather than entering endless cycle of rebuttals. I do know a brother who has been trying to answer most of these allegations and I will send you his website in a personal message (and not here on the forum, because I do not want to make these kinds of arguments popular).

Take care
your brother

and to back up brother PaxVobiscum :
6:25-27
Of them are some who listen to you, but We have placed upon their hearts veils, lest they should understand, and in their ears a deafness. If they saw every sign they would not believe therein; to the point that, when they come to you to argue with you, the disbeliever say: This is nothing else than fables of the men of old. And they forbid (men) from it and avoid it, and they ruin none ecept themselves, tough they persive not. If you could see when they are set before the Fire and they say: Oh, would that we might return! Then would we not deny the revelations of our Lord but we would be of the believers!

SisterL.
wasalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

I feel I must reply. There is a movement alfot to seculrize Islam. I have posted two threads on this.
Islam is not a joke. It is not a philosphical argument for the sake of polemics.
Islam is the Truth. It is simply that. If you do not wish to follow Islam we are told you do not have to. If you do follow Islam..then you submit to the prinicples of Islam.
The Prophet (swas) was the 'rose of nature"...the chief of the sons of Adam...If I claim to be part of the Ummah then I know in my heart of hearts I do not question...I submit..I submit with my heart, mind and soul and use my body to perform the functions of prayer.
It is written no to engage in discussions with those who will hurt us...who do not believe...
you want intellectual challenges this is the correct place to come...

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Lama,

To begin with, I agree with my brothers and sisters in Islam who have advised you to stay away from such debates. One needs to gain firm knowledge about the religion of Islam, about the arguments of Islam's enemies and the defense against these arguments and in other matters before starting a debate with them.

I'd like to add here some information for your benefit and the benefit of my brothers and sisters in Islam.

You posted the following:

Now we must pose the following question: if many great moral symbols, during pre-Islamic times, such as Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus of Nazareth, were able to preach good values of right and wrong, without succumbing to the morally relative values such as stoning, cultural marriage, etc. considering most of them were not even believed to be prophets by the majority of people, then why the man 1.2 billion people see as a prophet, couldnt emulate the former 1400 years ago(with Ayesha)?

The matter of the Prophet's marriage to Aisha [may Allah be pleased with her] has been answered on this thread.

I'd like to comment on whether stoning was something devised by society. Please read the following quotations:

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

Deuteronomy 13:6-11 (New International Version)

If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky, and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. On the testimony of two or three witnesses a man shall be put to death, but no one shall be put to death on the testimony of only one witness. The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Deuteronomy 17:2-7 (New International Version)

Deuteronomy is the last of the first 5 books of the Old Testament in the Bible. The first 5 books of the Bible are called the Pentateuch, and they are traditionally believed by Jews and Christians to be authored by the Prophet Moses [peace be upon him].

So, you have the punishment of stoning in the Old Testament [which Jews and Christians believe to be the Word of God] and then that punishment is called is part of some "morally relative values"?!

There's a story in the New Testament which is attributed [by Christians] to Jesus Christ [peace be upon him]:

17 Then each went to his own house, while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She replied, "No one, sir." Then Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more."

[John 7:53 - 8:11] (New American Bible)

.................................................................................
17 [⇒ 7:53-⇒ 8:11] The story of the woman caught in adultery is a later insertion here, missing from all early Greek manuscripts. A Western text-type insertion, attested mainly in Old Latin translations, it is found in different places in different manuscripts: here, or after ⇒ John 7:36 or at the end of this gospel, or after ⇒ Luke 21:38, or at the end of that gospel. There are many non-Johannine features in the language, and there are also many doubtful readings within the passage. The style and motifs are similar to those of Luke, and it fits better with the general situation at the end of Luke 21:but it was probably inserted here because of the allusion to ⇒ Jeremiah 17:13 (cf the note on John ⇒ John 8:6) and the statement, "I do not judge anyone," in ⇒ John 8:15. The Catholic Church accepts this passage as canonical scripture.

The above quotation of John 7:53 - 8:11 and footnote no. 17 -of which the first sentence was coloured red by myself- is from the New American Bible as published on the following official Vatican website:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM

So, we know for a fact that Jesus Christ [peace be upon him] did not say, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." And it goes without saying that I totally disagree with the Catholic Church in allowing this passage into the Bible after admitting that it's not present in all early Greek Manuscripts. [Of course, I also disagree with the Catholic Church on worshiping Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and in not believing that Muhammad -peace be upon him- was a Messenger of God Almighty].

And this is not only mentioned in the Catholic English translation of the Bible. It's also mentioned in other Protestant translations:

((The earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.))

New International Version

Later mss add the story of the adulterous woman, numbering it as John 7:53-8:11

New American Standard Bible

John 7:53 to 8:11 is absent from most of the older manuscripts, and those that have it sometimes place it elsewhere. The story may well be authentic. Indeed, Christ's response of compassion and mercy is so much in keeping with His character that we accept it as authentic, and feel that to omit it would be most unfortunate.

Amplified Bible

[The most ancient Greek manuscripts do not include John 7:53–8:11.]

New Living Translation

[The earliest manuscripts do not include John 7:53-8:11]

English Standard Version

John 7:53 The words And everyone through sin no more (8:11) are bracketed by NU-Text as not original. They are present in over 900 manuscripts.

New King James Version

[The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.]

Today's New International Version

If you want to check out these quotations, go to the following website:

http://www.biblegateway.com

Then enter "John 7:53" in the field and press "enter". Choose the versions I mentioned above and verify that what I've posted is correct.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

hafz

I would advise you to not take part in this debate unless you are very knowledgeable because they will corner you eventually unless you know the Quraan, bible and sunnah as good as any scholar.They are very clever at twisting the texts ,presenting shady arguments and distortig facts .It is best left to the scholars because you will end putting Islam down