Words with ظ

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:bismillah1:
:salam:
I decided to test myself again on Arabic letters and got only ظ (zah) wrong, alhamdulillah.
It occurred to me that maybe I haven't been reading any words with it to get practise. I could look at the dictionary, but then I get a long list of words all starting with ظ, many of them might not be very beneficial to a learner.

So what I propose might be a little like a word game. What are some good words with ظ anywhere in them, that I might think about and can be useful? They can be very easy words, my spelling is so bad it can only improve, In shaa Allah

:jazaak:

Nureyni Amir

Walaikum Asalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, Well i have some problem too such as with later 3 {Ayn} and the later dhall. So anyways may Allah swa soften our tongue for us to say them right. My questions is, should we write the words in English or Arabic?
Jazakallahu Khyeran, Wabillahi towfiq.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

may Allah swa soften our tongue for us to say them right.
Ameen

My questions is, should we write the words in English or Arabic?
Khayr, what is good for you. I would like to know how it is pronounced, but written with English or Arabic letters I can look for them in the dictionary and may learn something, in shaa Allah.

So, just what is good for you.

wa iyyaki yaa ukhti

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam: brother.

You say 'zah' for ظ but I say 'Dha'. 'Zah' sounds more like this Za' ز

Here are a few common words, I think.

ظهر Pronounced as Dhu-hur and you already know what it means. : )

أنظر Pronounced as Un-dhur and means see/look.

ظالم Pronounced as Dhaa-lim and means unjust/unjust person.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

I thought this was the name of the letter, but different books call it different things. ظ is transcribed as either DH or Z, I think. ز I would call 'zaay' or 'zayn'.

Those are some good words. I shall correct my pronounciation of Dhuhr to Dhuhur, in shaa Allah.

I'm learning already, alhamdulillah

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Yes I know what you mean. Some Arabic dialects often use Z instead of DH. And that's fine I suppose, only reason I urge you to used DH is so that you won't have a hard time reciting the qur'aan. It's difficult for some people to recite words like يظنون (Yadhunnoon) properly because they've trained their tongues to use Z instead of DH. And so Yadhunnon becomes يزنون
ز I would call 'zaay' or 'zayn'.
I've seen all three. I guess it varies from culture to culture. But the pronunciation of this letter does not affect the word unlike these three ذ ض ظ

Dhuhr/Dhuhur can be said both ways though, so don't worry much about it.

Another word.
ظل "Shade", pronounced as Dhill (double L for shaddah)

Like in the hadeeth about the 7 people that'll be shaded on the day of Qiyaamah.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:
Actually, I meant books and courses I have used different transliteration.. Arabic dialects, ya'ni .. I hear only very obvious differences (like jameel/ gameel).

Don't worry, I never say 'Zoor', but I learned to write as Zuhr and still do.

I find the whole issue of transliteration gets so complex, all those Ts Ss Ds and different people using different symbols, I think it's probably easier just to learn the Arabic. I will get a lot of practise now, with Quran and trying to follow recitation, in shaa Allah.

It has helped getting some useful words, makes knowing the letter useful and not just some unattached detail.

Thanks all your help. Jazakumallahu khayran.

AbuKhalid

ظ ذ ث

These 3 are called al huroof al lathawiyyah because they are articulated between the tip of the tongue, from the topside of its tip and bottom edges of 2 top incisors