Morsi Is Not Arab World’s Mandela

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
By: Hani Sabra and Bassem

August 12, 2013

Tawakul Karman is a brave press-freedom advocate and a worthy Nobel Peace Prize winner. She was a powerful voice in the Yemeni people’s struggle against President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s 34-year autocracy and remains an important figure in Yemen’s march toward democracy. However, Karman’s recent comparison of deposed Egyptian leader Mohammed Morsi to Nelson Mandela, one of the most influential and inspirational figures of the latter half of the 20th century and whose name is synonymous with courage, struggle and wisdom, is astoundingly wrongheaded. Mandela remains a global moral authority. Morsi is not worthy of such praise — not even close. If the defining feature of Mandela’s presidency was the unification of his people, the defining feature of Morsi’s one-year presidency was the intensifying and perilous polarization of the Egyptian people.

This is not a personal attack on Karman (though there is, regrettably, a deluge of unproductive and troubling ad hominem bullying on social media), but a disagreement about a bold and false assertion. Karman is certainly free to defend the former president and criticize the wisdom of the military’s decision to oust him and express serious concerns about the current trajectory of democracy in Egypt. And there is indeed, most certainly, ample cause for concern.
However, equating Morsi with Mandela is myopic, cynical and betrays a deep misunderstanding of Morsi’s brief presidency and Mandela’s long struggle for freedom. Mandela is everything Morsi is not. Following a career as an anti-apartheid revolutionary and almost three decades of imprisonment before his election, then-President Mandela moved swiftly to heal the deep rifts that plagued South African society. He led a national unity government and oversaw the establishment of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that, despite criticism, succeeded in turning the focus of the country toward the future. Mandela was not perfect, but he proved particularly adept at taking the long view, at understanding the symbolism and impact of each of his actions, and he consistently strived to build bridges and create consensus without losing sight of his principles.

Morsi, on the other hand, is a member of a group that has at best a questionable commitment to and a skewed understanding of democracy, and that — following a razor-thin electoral margin — moved quickly and aggressively to consolidate power. Mandela was a visionary, while Morsi was a short-term tactician who refused to see the benefits of building and reinforcing coalitions. A telling and ironic example was his approach to security-sector reform. Morsi could have begun to reform the feared security apparatus had he at least maintained the electoral coalition that ushered him to power, and would likely have succeeded if he had broadened it. Today, that apparatus, which he heaped praise upon when he believed he could eventually bring it under his control, is being used against him and his supporters. Additionally, Mandela was — and remains — a popular national leader, earning the respect and admiration of even his one-time critics and affectionately referred to as "Tata," meaning "father."

While Morsi still maintains a bloc of support, prior to his ouster this support base was shrinking as a result of his bullheaded approach to leadership and his insistence on maintaining an inept cabinet that even spokesmen in his own party rejected. In fact, by the end of his first year in office, his list of critics included the Nour Salafist Party, the media, the judiciary, civil-society activists, the police, the military, the leaderships of Al-Azhar and the Christian church and very likely a majority of the population. Essentially, Morsi’s very legitimacy was rapidly deteriorating.
None of this was foreordained. When Morsi was first elected, many Egyptians believed that he was cognizant that his narrow margin of victory was largely a result of the support of millions of non-Islamists that didn’t necessarily trust him, but who wanted a clean break from the era of deposed president Hosni Mubarak. These same people pinned their hopes on the belief that the broad January 2011 "revolutionary coalition" would remain intact and thus were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even many others that didn’t vote for him also were willing to suspend their pessimism and hoped to be positively surprised.

However, to say that Morsi proved to be a disappointment would be an understatement. His government made little progress delivering the "bread, freedom and social justice" its slogans promised. And less than five months after his inauguration, Morsi squandered his political capital when he committed a disastrous strategic blunder that would permanently dissolve the coalition of supporters that brought him to power, severely damage his legitimacy and mark the beginning of his downfall. Morsi’s infamous November 2012 presidential decree, which established him as above the law and forcefully installed a political ally as prosecutor-general, was ultimately used to ram through a divisive constitution. The bloody clashes that followed and the sequence of events that ensued left Egypt dangerously polarized and the January 2011 revolution in tatters.
In her piece, Karman says that she originally supported the June 30 anti-Morsi protests (despite her allegiance to a Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated party in Yemen), because she wanted to see the end of "the rift within Egyptian society, and building a country led by partnership rather than narrow majority rule." Karman, whose sincerity we’re not questioning, therefore clearly recognized that Morsi did not take a Mandela-like approach to leadership. She made passionate references in social media supporting the June 30 protests, stating that the "Revolutionary legitimacy is in Tahrir, and is stronger and greater than any [other] legitimacy," pointedly criticizing the Brotherhood and calling on Morsi to resign. While committed to political inclusiveness, she even appeared not to be averse to the notion of the military ousting Morsi and creating a presidential council while suspending the constitution. All of this makes Karman’s sudden heaping of praise on Morsi incomprehensible and incompatible.

Remarkably, following her previous sharp criticism, Karman now presents a broadly positive and democratic image of Morsi’s tenure that contradicts her previous positions. She writes that during his year in power, for example, freedom of speech was guaranteed. This is demonstrably untrue. Numerous "insulting the presidency" cases were filed during Morsi’s year in power, including some by the president's office itself before it withdrew them under local and international pressure. Quite tellingly, the Brotherhood dominated the legislature and ignored the calls by pro-revolutionary forces for the repeal of these laws. And instead of liberating state-owned media from political influence, Morsi and the Brotherhood instead worked to increase their influence over it.

One need not be a Morsi supporter to be critical of much of what is taking place in Egypt. One is free to argue Morsi that was a dangerous leader who was taking Egypt down a dark path, or alternatively that he was an elected president that was unfairly ousted by a military seeking political power, or take a position somewhere in between. However, one thing is certain: Mohammed Morsi is not the Arab world’s Nelson Mandela.

Hani Sabra is a New York-based political analyst. The views represented here are his own. On Twitter: @hanisabra
Bassem Sabry is an Egyptian political writer and commentator. On Twitter: @Bassem_Sabry
http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m100129&hd=&size=1&l=e

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I sended that article as just bring another perspective to the (political) situation in Egypt. It is sometimes good to look some matters from many directions, right?

;)

mezeren

I sended that article as just bring another perspective to the (political) situation in Egypt. It is sometimes good to look some matters from many directions, right?

;)

Assalamu Alaykum,

Sister, who said that muslims outside of Egypt needs "another perspective to the (political) situation in Egypt" ?

Helloooo!

People are being killed like animals in front of the whole world. We, as outsiders, do not need to know the political situations down there. We want an honorable life to our brothers and sisters in islam around the world, as well as non-muslims. if it was muslims killing non-muslims in that horrible way, i would condemn it straight away.

Be carefull, whom you are siding with.

And a reminder to all of us,

"Speak good or be silent."

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

And who says that muslims inside or outside of Egypt doesn´t need another perspective to the political situations and backgrounds of them? Without it we might start to support some persons or political group blindly. Should that be any better?

Massacre, who ever is the victim side, is horrible crime and against humanity - by this we all might agree. Critical discussing about person of Morsi is not a support of acts of Egyptian army.

mezeren

sister herb, post: 598907, member: 6103"]Salam alaykum

And who says that muslims inside or outside of Egypt doesn´t need another perspective to the political situations and backgrounds of them? Without it we might start to support some persons or political group blindly. Should that be any better?

Wa aleykum salam,

Of cource, the knowledge is gold. But, that is not my point sister. i am against the massacre i am witnessing and there is no use in discussing the wrongs and rights of Muslim Brotherhood right now.

Would i feel the same if the massacred ones were non-muslims or atheist or politeists who were unarmed and protesting peacefully for their rights?

YES...

Their being my muslim brothers and sisters makes it much much worse, of course.

By the way, i have been away from TTI for a long time. i have been busy and working hard for my living. That's way i have had no time to visit here.

i remember a Sister Harb who would take side with the innocent victims of oppression openly without any pre-condition. At first, i thouth Herb is a new member, then realised that Herb is actually Harb. Am i right? if so i would expect you condemn the pharaoh openly without any "ifs and buts".

i hope i am not being harsh.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

No, you aren´t too harsh but also better not try to put words to my mouth. I don´t think to repeat at every corner that I condemn violence against innocent civilians. I have always tried to find more than only one perspective and not believe only one "truth" - in this case about political backgrounds of the political situations in Egypt. Knowing background it one thing and very important thing it is.

Hopely you understand that article I sended wasn´t from my pen but I am happy if it creates here some discussion, peaceful one. I liked specially this part of it:

One need not be a Morsi supporter to be critical of much of what is taking place in Egypt. One is free to argue Morsi that was a dangerous leader who was taking Egypt down a dark path, or alternatively that he was an elected president that was unfairly ousted by a military seeking political power, or take a position somewhere in between.

If someone thinks that it is useless to discuss, that is anyones right. Then better stop reading discussions like this one. If someone says that discussing doesn´t help Egyptians, I can agree or disagree - it is how we see results of it. It may help people to get rightful information and help them to spread it to others. Or then we can just curse the oppressor in the discussing forum. What that might help then? Much?

Yes, we can pray. May Allah gives peace to Egyptians.

mezeren

Assalamu alaykum,

The disscussion is fine, the knowledge is gold. i am eager to know the truth.

But, before discussing Morsi this, and Morsi that, we should emphasize that "Morsi is the elected leader of Egypt and no one has the right to bring him down except by the votes of Egyptians" .

i wished that we would be disscussing how the former establishment in Egypt had its power over Morsi and blocked every move of him to make him unsuccesfull during the period he was in charge.

i wished that someone post the news about how Sisi, Baradey etc. had been trying to convince the USA to back a possible military coup for a long time and how USA sopport the coup.

i wished that we were discussing the role of israel in what has been happening in the region.

i wish i wish i wish...

We should know all that, but , even then it is up to people of Egypt to decide about their future and whoever they want in power by free elections. So, there is no excuse or need for criticising Morsi right now.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

I didn´t see that article only to criticize Mursi, just bring one more perspective to his actions. Critical perspective (but about how someones see nature of it is another thing of course). Different kind of views are welcomed of course.

Baradey? Isn´t he just resigned? By his words because he didn´t accept acts of army? Some media calls him as leader of those youths whose started the revolution before... but how to know the truth? Every political groups seems to have they own "truth".

i wished that someone post the news about how Sisi, Baradey etc. had been trying to convince the USA to back a possible military coup for a long time and how USA sopport the coup.

i wished that we were discussing the role of israel in what has been happening in the region.

Why not you can post kind of news then?

mezeren

Salam alaykum

Why not you can post kind of news then?

Wa alaykum salam,

As i said i have been busy, besides, i think i am more of a reading person than posting.

The fact is, what have been happening in the region is part of a big,big plan which belongs to zionist America,israel and Europa as well.

They have been feeding themselves with the blood and tears of others, of course mostly muslims since the most recources belongs to muslimland. They have no intention to stop. They want to carry on exploiting others during the 21. centry and beyond.

Beleive me, they are the ones behind what has been happening in Egypt right know.

it is part of their plan to demonise Morsi and MB, i just wish my muslim brothers and sisters did not fall that trap.

They recently tried the same scenario in Turkey. i don't know if you heard about Gezi Park protests. CNN broadcasted 8 hours uninterrupted air time of a simple protest. They tried to lead an unrest thorouhout Turkey with lies by using the media effectivly. Their motto was "Erdogan is a dictator". Later, it became clear that it was a well planned attempt to destabilise Turkey and lead to a military coup. it was planned outside of Turkey (you can guess where), executed accordingly.

Allah is the best of planners.

Be awake, be safe.

Umm Abdullah

La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah! Dear sister, instead of using your energy to condemn the military, who is killing hundreds of innocent people. Our brothers and sisters in faith! You dedicate a whole thread to criticize Morsi, who a) haven't killed a single muslim during his rule and b) is unjustly arrested. Plus if you disagree with Morsi, that's totally up to you, but do you really think that it's an appropriate thing to do now, while muslims are dying in the hands of an illegitimate regime. I think we should get our priorities straight. Wa billahi tawfeq.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:bismillah1:
asalaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

There are two threads active that seem a little intertwined so it is difficult to know where to wade in for a bit of moderation. I therefore post this to both threads.

Healthy discussion is to be encouraged, but before things might get out of hand, let us remind ourselves that democracy and free speech are intertwined, and disagreement is allowed. Let us also remind ourselves our deen requires us to speak truthfully but kindly and politely to each other. For anyone with less sophisticated understanding of the situation, if they come to read these threads to learn something, but find instead harsh words, they could go away without learning anything, and an opportunity to share knowledge and information has been missed.

Not least, may we remind ourselves that despite our differences, we all agree in condemning the killing of our brothers and sisters, and wish for peace and prosperity to return to Egypt. May Allah strengthen the believers, soften the hearts of those who have gone astray, and thwart the schemes and tricks of the shayateen who would spread discord among the Ummah.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

You are right, sister ServantofAllah - the violence has to stop first - but people; inside and outside of the Egypt have to discuss what were the reasons behind of all this mess, violence, murdering. If no discussing, people will believe what ever they read from the news - from any kind of sources.

Whose truth is the truth and is here only one truth?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
This thread is fine for our reading but subsequent comments are insult to those are killed like animal. Mursi was removed before he can do anything but people are talking as though he is a second term president. Are we that low in stupidity? How can we have muslims who finger point on mursi instead of al-Sisi? My friend just said this is the time to know who are muslims and who are hypocrites. It is crystal clear. The king of ksa pledged 5bil after the coup and others are creating division among muslims from inside. May Allah protects me from hypocrisy.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

;)
I wasn't going to reply to this thread but I am replying to request the closure of this thread for the following reason (I mean no offense to you sister herb, I respect your anti morsi view).

I told you this was not the time to post your differences, but to show support. The serious matter at hand is not to know "why" morsi was ousted, but why and how to stop killing innocents. I think that's not so hard, now is it?shall we do that for a while?I'll join you in "morsi bashing" and discuss "third options" and "peaceful solutions"once, May Allah help him, he's back in his office, as was his right and the people's choice

You are sprinkling salt over open wounds. Your innocent wink up there is rather painful for some. I would request you not to do it. People are sensitive about the matter right now.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
If the mod choose not to close this thread (Though I believe this kinds of threads should not be here on TTI for the time being). It's their decision in the end and I respect it.

We should not loose our calm. Brothers and Sisters here must not attack Sister Herb for her views. You can calmly reply. That be better for us all in our duniya and `akhira Inshaa`Allah. Like a brother said, say good or keep silent.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

I repeat again that I have no "anti-Morsi views" but interest to find out also other than only "100% support of Morsi"- views. I see it very different than being only "anti-something".

Anyways, it is nice to see that finally here is discussion about something, not only sending new articles (like I have done many times about matters of Al-Aqsa for example).

mezeren

Salam alaykum

I repeat again that I have no "anti-Morsi views" but interest to find out also other than only "100% support of Morsi"- views. I see it very different than being only "anti-something".

Anyways, it is nice to see that finally here is discussion about something, not only sending new articles (like I have done many times about matters of Al-Aqsa for example).

Assalamu Alaykum,

Sister, if you had discussed the anti-Morsi view before the military coup, it would have been fine. When you broutgh the matter out after the coup, i say, it is like falling the trap of the actors who is behind all this. Because, this is their tactics all the time. instead of disscussing how unacceptable it is to throw away a freely elected goverment like this we are disscussing Morsi's mistakes, which might be mostly lies anyway.

Seeking Peace

Assalam-o-Alaikum...

i request the mods to please close this thread before situation gets out of control...regardless of faith whether someone is Muslim or non-Muslim, every life is precious for Allah S.W.T created it...and we Muslims are like a body:

"The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The parable of the believers in their affection, mercy, and compassion for each other is that of a body; when any limb of it aches, the whole body reacts with sleeplessness and fever.

whatever the reasons or situation, countless Muslim brothers and sisters have died and may Allah S.W.T have mercy we don't know where the situation is headed....yes we do need to think what led to it but thats not the right time...right now we need to stand with our brothers and sisters because thats what we need: solidarity ...

may we all be in Allah S.W.T protection ameen sum ameen..

JazakAllah-o-Khair...

W'S..