My First Quran!

Hello,

If you have read my other posts you know that I am learning about Islam (perhaps one day to convert) and I have also posted seeking input into buying a Quran.

Well, here is an interesting story. I was on the university campus where I work. I normally walk through the second story of this a specific building to reach the food court for lunch. When I tried going there today the second story entrance was closed for work, I thought about going downstairs to the first floor entrance but instead decided to go around and through a plaza that I normally never go through. When I was walking through there there were some tables setup by student clubs and one was the Muslim student club. They were giving out leaflets on Islam and Qurans! I graciously accepted all that they were handing out.

Maybe Allah was guiding me to find that table? :)

Precious Pearl

:75:

Go ahead and read the Quran , first convince yourself, make firm decision, accept Islam insha allah you will not regret .

And Allah (swa) knows what is in the heart he will make things easy for you, ameen.:love_heart:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Now isn't that something :) Allah works in the most subtle ways to guide us to the right path - all we need to do is keep an open mind and allow ourselves to be guided. Did you ever think you would get a Quran so easily? Allah surely sees some good in you, Emily, which is why He is guiding you along this path from darkness to light.

Now go ahead and read the Quran. And feel free to post about any doubts/questions/confusions you might have. (And thanks for posting in the lounge...:))

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Hello :)
That's something cool know , Praise be to God
Indeed when you strive to find the truth and get near to Him, He comes running to you and helps you without a doubt , Subhanallah
Narrated Abu Hurairah (Radiyallahu Anhu) , The Prophet (PBUH) said,
"Allah says: 'I am just as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him if He remembers Me. If he remembers Me in himself, I too, remember him in Myself; and if he remembers Me in a group of people, I remember him in a group that is better than them; and if he comes one span nearer to Me, I go one cubit nearer to him; and if he comes one cubit nearer to Me, I go a distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.
(Sahih AlBukhari Volum Number 09 Hadeeth Number 502)

:75:

Go ahead and read the Quran , first convince yourself, make firm decision, accept Islam insha allah you will not regret .

And Allah (swa) knows what is in the heart he will make things easy for you, ameen.:love_heart:

Thank you Precious Pearl,

I have to admit. I keep thinking about it. I normally never walk through that part of campus. I keep wondering if Allah is trying to guide me to becoming a muslim.

:salam:

Now isn't that something :) Allah works in the most subtle ways to guide us to the right path - all we need to do is keep an open mind and allow ourselves to be guided. Did you ever think you would get a Quran so easily? Allah surely sees some good in you, Emily, which is why He is guiding you along this path from darkness to light.

Now go ahead and read the Quran. And feel free to post about any doubts/questions/confusions you might have. (And thanks for posting in the lounge...:))

I suspect I will have many questions as I read it!

It is very interesting. I keep thinking maybe this was a sign or something. Before I was interested in Islam but I didn't really think I was going to become a convert. But then this happened. Maybe this was a sign from Allah that I should continue down this path.

Hello :)
That's something cool know , Praise be to God
Indeed when you strive to find the truth and get near to Him, He comes running to you and helps you without a doubt , Subhanallah
Narrated Abu Hurairah (Radiyallahu Anhu) , The Prophet (PBUH) said,
"Allah says: 'I am just as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him if He remembers Me. If he remembers Me in himself, I too, remember him in Myself; and if he remembers Me in a group of people, I remember him in a group that is better than them; and if he comes one span nearer to Me, I go one cubit nearer to him; and if he comes one cubit nearer to Me, I go a distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.
(Sahih AlBukhari Volum Number 09 Hadeeth Number 502)

I think that just might be the case. I've never been very religious, but when something like this happens it really makes you think!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
It is very interesting. I keep thinking maybe this was a sign or something. Before I was interested in Islam but I didn't really think I was going to become a convert. But then this happened. Maybe this was a sign from Allah that I should continue down this path.

For starters, don't think so much of the future. Take baby steps right now, one at a time, and for now only look forward to reading and gaining new knowledge. Conviction about the truth and true faith and decision-making will take place in its own time. So take this as a sign from God and trust in Him to guide you along this road.

I think that just might be the case. I've never been very religious, but when something like this happens it really makes you think!

Believe me, even born muslims go through this very same stage. Some people born into muslim households grow up not really learning their religion or being too bothered about it. But then something or other happens that makes you open your eyes. I speak from experience, and trust me, I didn't know diddly-squat about my own religion five or so years ago (and most of what I knew turned out to be wrong). It's a journey we all undertake. I wish you luck and best wishes with yours.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Emily know that satan will be working very hard to dissuade you from becoming a Muslim. He will use all of his tricks that he has up his sleeves.

You will also be thinking about what family and friends will say or how they will treat you once you become a Muslim. That is normal as we as human beings always want to be in the 'safe zone'. But realise that becoming a Muslim is becoming who you were born to be, you will be a special human being set apart from all the rest because you are following the commands or our Maker and trying to please Him in ways He has stipulated.

If you decide to take the Shahada you will have many enemies. At the end of the day you have to decide if you want a chance for eternal salvation or always be scared of what people might think. There are obstacles in front of you but if you keep praying and making du'a Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala will remove those for you In Shaa Allah.

I am a revert to Islam and I've never been happier till the day I took the Shahada and from then on my imaan keeps growing day by day. As I learn about Islam, the Qur'an, the Hadiths, Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Sallam) my faith gets stronger. When you interact with true Muslims who have submitted fully to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala it is truly a beautiful experience. There are no better human beings on earth than these believers.

You have been given a chance to change your life for the better and I hope and pray that you do.

Eman Yousuf

:) Hi Emily, Brother Abu Loren is very right in his saying. I too faced problems with people I worked with taunting, gossiping and what not . I convinced myself from telling that I am very lucky I have all the worldly things and also have the mercy and guidance of Allah (swa). One Muslimah told me "don't listen or take it hard on yourself to what people say, in due course they will find another topic to munch on and they will forget you". That is exactly what happen , they become quiet after some time and left me alone with my religion. Secondly, I was not persecuted and tormented like the companion of the Messengers of Allah (swa) (All the prophets , peace be upon them all), which they patiently withstand .

When Pharaoh 's magicians believe in Musa (a.s) they fell prostrated to Allah (swa),seeing which Pharaoh said "believe in him (Moses(a.s) before I give you permission?...I will cut your hands and legs in opposite direction (for believing in Allah alone) ,and crucify you all on the trunks of Date Palm tree. The magicians said "We prefer you not over the clear signs that have come to us and to Him who created us.Do what ever you want ,You can only harm us in this life and the hereafter is far more better."(Quran ,Surah 20/verses 69-73 and Sura 26, verses 45-51)

Take care:SMILY139:

Thank you everyone, for your wonderful comments.

I have started reading the Quran a little bit. So far I have liked it, it is very poetic. I have a question though. Should I be reading it from front to back? I tried reading about the history of the Quran before reading the book itself.

Please make sure I am not making mistakes. If I understand correctly God (through Gaberial) revealed the Quran to Muhammed over the course of several years. Did he reveal it to him in the order it appears in the Quran, and if so should I read it in that order? Or can I read the parts in a different order?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Emily, it depends. Some versions of Quran translations are front to back, others are back to front. Check to see how the page numbering goes and you'll know what the proper order is. The first Surah/chapter should be "Surah al - fatiha."

No, the Quran was revealed in a very random order, but it was assembled in the order it appears now under the guidance of the angel Gibreel (peace upon him), so people usually read it in the order it is in. The Quran is very random, as you'll notice soon enough, it jumps constantly from one topic to another, and starts one story and then later on gives the stories from another angle someplace else. That's so you can reflect on the individual ideas and lessons one at a time, and not overwhelm yourself with too much info.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Emily, might I make a helpful suggestion? At this point as you go through the Quran, you'll come across so much information that has to do about the times of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), his life, the struggles he encountered, etc. that you are bound to end up confused as not all information is in the Quran.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest reading the Prophet's biography side by side as you go along. Nothing too complex at this point. The best book in my opinion out there is called the Sealed Nectar, but I wouldn't recommend it right now as its too heavy on the facts. You need something short and simple, so I'm linking you to a website that has the Prophet's biography in a very condensed form:

http://mohammad.islamway.net/

You'll find it in book form, where you can turn the pages like a storybook, and those pages are really short. The entire book is about 175 pages I think, so you can get through it quite easily if you wish, while still not getting in too deep.

Hopefully, I pray you find this helpful. :)

Emily, might I make a helpful suggestion? At this point as you go through the Quran, you'll come across so much information that has to do about the times of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), his life, the struggles he encountered, etc. that you are bound to end up confused as not all information is in the Quran.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest reading the Prophet's biography side by side as you go along. Nothing too complex at this point. The best book in my opinion out there is called the Sealed Nectar, but I wouldn't recommend it right now as its too heavy on the facts. You need something short and simple, so I'm linking you to a website that has the Prophet's biography in a very condensed form:

http://mohammad.islamway.net/

You'll find it in book form, where you can turn the pages like a storybook, and those pages are really short. The entire book is about 175 pages I think, so you can get through it quite easily if you wish, while still not getting in too deep.

Hopefully, I pray you find this helpful. :)

Thank you for the helpful advice! I will try to read it along while reading the Quran!

Bala3210

Wow Emily, you 've made your way through. How beautiful it is. When i do see conver5s into islam, i never see them regret it. Rather they are so peaceful in mind. You are so lucky to be where you are right now . It is said that when someone accepts islam, all their previous sins are forgiven and they become like a new born baby. I love your passion

Last edited: