Interesting Why to say Alhamdulillah after sneezing?

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Q. What is the purpose of reciting Dua (al-Hamdulillah) after sneezing? A non Muslim has posed this question to me.

A. The narrations of Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

Some of the reasons for saying

“Alhamdulillah” are as follows:

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best

Eman Yousuf

:mashaallah-24:

I also heard that when we sneeze the heart stop for fraction of seconds and then start beating:SMILY252:,so by saying Al Hamdulillah we are thankful to Him for keeping us alive .

Wa salaam

Nureyni Amir

Salaam, I also read in one narration that our father Adam Alyhisaltu wasalam Sneeze when Allah breath soul into him and the angel told him to say Alhamdullillah and Allah swa said to Adam "Bless you."

I don't know if I correctly remember the narration, Anyone familiar with this story/narration?

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
...and Allah swa said to Adam "Bless you."
(God) Bless you would be baarakallaah I think? :)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah created Adam and breathed the soul into him, he sneezed and said ‘Al-hamdu-Lillah (Praise be to Allaah).’ He praised Allaah by His permission. Then his Lord said to him, ‘May Allaah have mercy on you, O Adam. Go to those angels, to a group of them who are sitting, and say, ‘As-salaamu ‘alaykum (peace be upon you).’ They said, ‘Wa ‘alayka al-salaam wa rahmat-Allaah (and upon you be peace and the Mercy of Allaah).’ Then he went back to his Lord, who said, ‘This is your greeting and the greeting of your descendants amongst themselves.’” (Reported and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi. Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 3290)

Nureyni Amir

By the way sis @Janaan i don't mean the "Bless you " of the non-Muslims or ignorant. Jazakillah kheraa for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Salaam, I also read in one narration that our father Adam Alyhisaltu wasalam Sneeze when Allah breath soul into him and the angel told him to say Alhamdullillah and Allah swa said to Adam "Bless you."

I don't know if I correctly remember the narration, Anyone familiar with this story/narration?

Wa Salaam

Yes there is a narration regarding that. :)

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah said:
“When Allah created Adam, He breathed the soul into him, then he sneezed and said: ‘All praise is due to Allah.’ So he praised Allah by His permission. Then His Lord said to him: ‘May Allah have mercy upon you O Adam. Go to those angels – to that gathering of them sitting – so say: “As-Salamu Alaikas-Salamu, Wa Rahmatullah’ Then he returned to his Lord, He said: ‘This is your greeting and the greeting of your children among each other.’ Then Allah said to him – while His Two Hands were closed – ‘Choose which of them you wish.’ He said: ‘I chose the right My Lord and both of the Hands of my Lord are right, blessed.’ Then He extended it, and there was Adam and his offspring in it.’ So he said: ‘What are these O my Lord?’ He said: ‘These are your offspring?’ Each one of them had his age written between his eyes. But among them there was a man who was the most illuminating of them – or among the most illuminated of them. He said: ‘O Lord! Who is this?’ He said: ‘This is your son Dawud, I wrote forty years for him.’ He said: ‘O Lord! Add to his age.’ He said: ‘That is what I have written for him.’ He said: ‘O Lord! Give him sixty of my years.’ He said: ‘So you shall have it.’” He said: “Then, he resided in Paradise as long as Allah willed, then he was cast from it, so Adam was counting for himself.” He said: “So the Angel of death came to him, and Adam said to him: ‘You are hasty, one-thousand years were written for me.’ He said: ‘Of course! But you gave sixty years to your son Dawud.’ So he rejected, and his offspring rejected, and he forgot, and his offspring forgot.” He said: “So ever since that day, what is written and witnessed has been decreed.”

English reference : Vol. 6, Book 44, Hadith 3367
Arabic reference : Book 47, Hadith 3694