Allahu Akbar! Linguistic Meaning of Ayatul Kursi

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

I think the coloured segments are meant to match? and is there a reason some of the words are in capitals? Am trying to understand it, in sha Allah some of you might have a better explanation of the graphic.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:bismillah1:
:salam:
I think the coloured segments are related. Writing out an explanation of what we see could be interesting, in shaa Allah. Not sure about the capitals - I'd have done them differently

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum
JazakAllah Khair for the share. Some parallelism that is!

@Mabsoot @Hassan I guess the capitals are to signify that the words are repeated again in the form of synonms, attributes of Allah SWT, or repeating the same words again to display the perfectness [if there is a word of this sort] and the uniqueness of the Quran. Maybe someone else can give more insight on it.

Alhamdulilah, got something to ponder on during my travel time. :)

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:salam:
I guess the capitals are to signify that the words are repeated again in the form of synonms

I would guess that too, but if you look at what is capitalised, the parts in green:
Neither drowsiness nor sleep OVERTAKES HIM
and their preservation TIRES HIM not

What is synonymous with OVERTAKES and TIRES?

I would capitalise it this way
NEITHER DROWSINESS NOR SLEEP overtakes Him
and their preservation TIRES HIM NOT

The others seem ok with the capitals, but that one stood out enough to be noticed.

That's what I meant by my comment anyway. Jazakallah khair

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

I think the coloured segments are meant to match? and is there a reason some of the words are in capitals? Am trying to understand it, in sha Allah some of you might have a better explanation of the graphic.

Wa`alaikum salaam. This is how I understood it, hopefully it makes sense.
Number 1 and 9 are pink because they are the first and the last and the capitalized words in each are attributes of Allaah.
2 and 8 are lime green because one is second from the top and second to the last and the capitalized words in each are descriptions of the power of Allaah (I'm probably not using the right words but sleep/slumber does not "overtake Him" and preserving the heavens and the earth does not "tire Him" )
3 and 7 are sky blue because they're in the same position (3rd from up and 3rd from down) and the capitalized words are the same- heaven and earth.
4 and 6 are both yellow because of their position and the capitalized words make up pretty much the same thing- except for what Allaah Wills. (Bi-idhnih and bi-maa-shaa' are the Arabic words)
Number 5 is supposed to connect the bottom and the top with the capitalized words "before" and "after" in that section of the ayah.

It seems everything was done deliberately.

Brother @Hassan I think they were trying to capitalize as little words as possible, so it doesn't mess with the flow?

Anyway, this is sort of interesting...

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
So to reduce the capitals:
Neither DROWSINESS nor SLEEP overtakes Him
and their preservation TIRES Him not

.. they way it is capitalised doesn't highlight the similarity. I know I'm being pedantic, but I was asked to explain myself

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
You are ALL wrong. Ha ha ha

To me what the coloured portions represnt is the continuation of the sentence or rather completing the sentence.

For example if you take verses 1 & 9 it would be a complete sentence like this :-

Allah - there is none worthy of worship except He ; The Ever Living, the Ever Watchful
And He is the Most High, the Most Supreme.

2 & 8

Neither drowsiness nor sleep overtakes Him
an their preservation tires Him not

3 & 7

To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens or in the earth
His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth

4 & 6

Who is there that can intercede with Him except by His permission
And they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills.

Note

Most scholars now agree that the Kursi is not the throne of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala but a footstool. Throne is generally considered to be called Arsh in Arabic.

By the way, the capitals are neither here nor there, it's a red herring so don't pay too much attention to them.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
This picture is a summary of this lecture of his. Reality check to say the least, well worth the listen. And of course, to see the connection. I won't attempt a summary (of the lecture), lest I butcher it.

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Assalam alaikum warahmathullah wa barakath!

Masha Allah! Sharing the picture here has really increased my understanding.

Jazakum Allah kahiran for sharing your thoughts.

John Muslim

Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan is awesome Alhamdulillah. I've learned a lot from his lectures about Qur'anic Arabic. Well worth a look on Youtube for his vid's. A Youtube use called masterchomic has illustrated some of Br Noumans lectures too if anyone's interested..