Russia wants Finn on terrorist list

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
13.9.2013 /YLE NEWS

Self-proclaimed civil activist and administrator of the Kavkaz Center website Mikael Storsjö is surprised that Russia wants to add him to the UN's list of international terrorists.

Storsjö says that over the years Russia has been doing a lot to try to silence the Kavkaz Center, a Chechen news and current affairs website. He is nonetheless surprised at Russia’s efforts to get his name added to the UN international terrorist list.

“The only thing that I’ve done is to help maintain the Kavkaz Center’s web pages – but this isn’t what Russia thinks,” Storsjö remarked in an Yle news interview.

The computer entrepreneur works as an administrator, assisting in the website's upkeep. The site operates out of Sweden.

In March this year, the Russian Foreign Ministry called on the UN Security Council Sanctions Committee to add Storsjö to the list of international terrorists. However, Britain, France and Luxembourg toppled the Russian proposal and Storsjö stayed off the blacklist.

“I can’t do anything but laugh”

Storsjö heard of the attempt late Thursday night. He does not know what criteria were cited in the request.

“The issue is essentially the fact that here in the west, we look at freedom of speech in a slightly different way than they do across the border,” Storsjö says. "I can’t do anything but laugh,” he added.

Helsinki Court of Appeal last year imposed a four-month suspended prison sentence on Storsjö for the arrangement of illegal immigration to Finland of more than 20 Chechens.

Source: http://yle.fi/uutiset/russia_wants_finn_on_terrorist_list/6829486

Last edited:

Abdul-Halim265

Kavkaz Center does sometimes seem to be leaning towards support of reprehensible things (including possible terrorist activities). But this man is certainly not a terrorist just for maintaining a website - I mean, he even helped Chechens to escape dictatorship and get to the west! That certainly doesn't make him a terrorist in my eyes...

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
If he helped Chechens immigrate to Finland, then I think maybe “the only thing that he has done is to help maintain the Kavkaz Center’s web pages" is not the only thing he has done.

</my two cents>

Abdul-Halim265

If he helped Chechens immigrate to Finland, then I think maybe “the only thing that he has done is to help maintain the Kavkaz Center’s web pages" is not the only thing he has done.

</my two cents>
There's nothing wrong with helping the oppressed. Chechens have been crushed by Putin's genocide for far too long. Not that I'm implying that you disagree with that. :)

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I don't mean to put forward my own notions of right/wrong or good/bad, just to highlight that Russia has always taken the sovereignty of her borders seriously. If Russia wants to put this guy on a list, it could be that in Russia's eyes, he has done more than just host a website.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Mr. Storsjö has to be lucky that he is Finn, not Russian. If he would be Russian, his final destiny might be similar like the journalist Anna Politkovskaya...

Abdul-Halim265

I don't mean to put forward my own notions of right/wrong or good/bad, just to highlight that Russia has always taken the sovereignty of her borders seriously. If Russia wants to put this guy on a list, it could be that in Russia's eyes, he has done more than just host a website.

Assad has always claimed to be a sovereign ruler, and look what he does! Hitler claimed to be one too, and look what he did! He thought the Jews had done something wrong in his eyes. That sort of logic is utterly morally bankrupt, I'm afraid... Precisely, SH! Russia has a vindictive vendetta against anyone standing up for human rights!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
All rulers whose acts are against the human rights have vendetta against those whose spread real information about they acts.

I have made human right works for Palestine over 25 years and some years for Syria and got already mark as terrorist or terrorism supporter.

:shyhijabi: I prefer to work as anonymous somewhere background there - it is enough that Allah knows my acts.

taxhonesty

Info Warrior
I thought I would throw this out there I have been a political activist inside the United States on a host of issues for about 10 years and I have been visited by about 5 different Federal agencies. I am not joking. You all need to stay public extremely public I have know of people murdered by the establishment. But stay public so people know who you are in your community and what you do people can disappear even journalists