Umar gives a greater share to Usaamah ibn Zaid than his own son

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'alaykun,

When Umar would distribute wealth from Muslim Treasury, he would not give certain people extra shares based on worldly standards, such as a man's rank or status among his people. Umar did, however give people extra shares based on religious standards such as the sacrifices a man was known to have made for the cause of Islam.

One particular occasion, when Umar had at his disposal a large quantity of wealth, he gave Usaamah a share of 4000 (dirhams), meanwhile Umar gave his own son, Abdullah, a share of only 3000. Abdullah went to Umar and said,

"O my father, you gave Usaamah a share of 4000 while you gave me a share of only 3000. And yet his father was not superior to you, and his son is not superior to me (i.e., he is not known for sacrifices that I did not make as well)."

Umar replied,

"Verily, his father was more beloved to the Messenger of Allah :saw: than your father was, and he (i.e., Usaamah) was more beloved to Messenger of Allah when you were.)

(Faraa'id al-Kalaam lil-Khulafaa al-Kiraam, pg. 113)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh!

Subhaanallaah would you look at that? Truly amazing were the ashaab of the prophet :saw:! May Allaah `azza wa jalla make us among those who closely follow in their footsteps!