Article The Prophet Never Forced Anyone to Enter Islam, Ibn Al Qayyim

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Ibn al-Qayyim: The Prophet Never Forced Anyone to Enter Islam
mosque-and-church-1110x400.jpg

Ibn al-Qayyim said, “So when Allaah sent His Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, most of the people of other religions responded to him and to his Khulafaa after him out of their own freewill and of their own choosing–and he never once forced anyone to enter the religion ever.

Rather he would only fight those who declared war against him and fought him, he never fought or forced to enter the religion those who kept peace with him and had a truce with him, in conformance with the order of his Lord سبحانه where He said:

“There is no compulsion in religion.” [Baqarah 2:256]

And this is a negation in the form of a prohibitive order, i.e., ‘Do not force anyone to enter the religion.’

This aayah was revealed concerning some of the Companions who had children who had become Jews or Christians before Islaam, so when Islaam came and the fathers became Muslims they wanted to compel their children to enter it, so Allaah سبحانه forbade them from doing that, such that they themselves should be the ones who choose to enter Islaam …

And it will become clear to whoever ponders the biography of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم that he never forced anyone to enter the religion ever, and that he only fought those who fought him. And as for those who made a treaty with him, he did not fight them as long as they stuck to their treaty and did not break their covenant. In fact, Allaah, the Most High, ordered him to be faithful to the treaty between them as long as they upheld it, as He said:

“So long as they are true to you, stand you true to them.” [Tawbah 9:7]

And when he came to Medinah he made peace with the Jews and acknowledged their religion, so when they waged war against him and broke their covenant with him and initiated fighting [against him], he fought them and so was gracious to some of them, expelled some and killed some.

Likewise when he had a truce with the Quraish for ten years he never initiated any fighting against them until they themselves were the ones who started fighting him and broke their covenant, so it was then that he raided them … and they were the ones who would invade him before that just as they had set out for him on the Day of Uhud and the Day of the Trench and the Day of Badr too. They came to fight him–and if they had turned away he would not have fought them.

The point is that he صلى الله عليه وسلم never ever forced anyone to enter his religion.

Rather people entered his religion out of their own choosing and freewill, so most of the people in the world embraced his call when the guidance became clear to them and when it became clear to them that he truly was the Messenger of Allaah.”

Abridged from Hidaayatul-Hayaaraa fi Ajwibatil-Yahudi wan-Nasaaraa, pp. 29-30.

The first companions who embraced Islam didn’t use the sword to enforce the others but, rather, they jeopardized their lives to the sword.” Celebrated sh. Sharawi
Prophet Muhammad never sought to launch a war for the sake of war. To him, war was the last ditch; and he never initiated a war unless he found himself enforced to fight.
The reason behind the spread of Islam wasn’t the sword as it was propagated by the Christian missionaries but rather it was something inherent in this religion: it is a religion that never contradicts the mind, it balances between the physical needs and the spiritual ones, it was and still is the sole religion that always equates between peoples, arrange their lives, corrects the crooked dogmas and, most importantly, it gives a pure pristine concept about monotheism.
http://www.knowmuhammad.org/reading...s;jsessionid=BD1B429D7ADB65462214DD0A98A352E3

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
“There is no compulsion in religion.” [Baqarah 2:256]

This aayah was revealed concerning some of the Companions who had children who had become Jews or Christians before Islaam, so when Islaam came and the fathers became Muslims they wanted to compel their children to enter it, so Allaah سبحانه forbade them from doing that, such that they themselves should be the ones who choose to enter Islaam …

SubhaanAllah. Lovely share. One should make a billboard with that ayat on it and place it where everyone can see it. :)

Last edited:

hilal.ahmad

Dear brother You are true we cant even think bad for any non muslim till he/she do not try to destroy islam. Non muslims are our brothers too and we should also help them but i dont agree your every word. i may be wrong so please tell me What did our Prophet sallallahu alaihiwasalam do after migration to medina so that i can clear my concepts

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Dear brother You are true we cant even think bad for any non muslim till he/she do not try to destroy islam. Non muslims are our brothers too and we should also help them but i dont agree your every word. i may be wrong so please tell me What did our Prophet sallallahu alaihiwasalam do after migration to medina so that i can clear my concepts

You seem to have this idea in your head that the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) started wars. He didn't, he only defended the Muslims when they were in danger and when the kufr of Quraish and those around Madina broke treaties.

See these videos for more information about the life the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)

jebediah

There are even authentically recorded incidents in which the Prophet advised some individuals not to accept Islam for a time being, due to their safety. In one instance, a person by the name of Amr bin Abasa Assulami came from a far distance to Mecca to embrace Islam. It was a time when Muslims were persecuted in Mecca and it was extremely difficult to meet the Prophet. Somehow, Amr managed to find the Prophet and he expressed his desire to embrace Islam. The Prophet, however, told him that he should not embrace Islam at that time, since the situation between the Prophet and his people was dangerous. The Prophet then advised Amr to go back to his family until the victory of the Prophet becomes apparent. It was not until approximately 7-8 years later that Amr met the Prophet again to embrace Islam. Surely, had the Prophet been only concerned with converting people despite their own safety, he would not have advised Amr to return to his family on account of the imminent danger.