Quran Ayah of the day, 2:13

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Al Baqarah 2:13

وَ‌إِ‌ذَ‌ا‌ ق‍‍ِ‍ي‍‍لَ لَهُمْ ‌آمِنُو‌ا‌ كَمَ‍‍ا‌ ‌آمَنَ ‌ال‍‍‍نّ‍‍‍َ‍اسُ قَالُ‍‍و‌ا‌ ‌أَنُؤْمِنُ كَمَ‍‍ا‌ ‌آمَنَ ‌ال‍‍سُّفَه‍‍َ‍ا‌ءُ‌ ‌أَلاَ‌ ‌إِنّ‍‍َ‍هُمْ هُمُ ‌ال‍‍سُّفَه‍‍َ‍ا‌ءُ‌ ‌وَلَكِ‍‍ن‍ْ‍ لاَ‌ يَعْلَم‍‍ُ‍ونَ

Transliteration: Wa 'Idhā Qīla Lahum 'Āminū Kamā 'Āmana An-Nāsu Qālū 'Anu'uminu Kamā 'Āmana As-Sufahā'u 'Alā 'Innahum Humu As-Sufahā'u Wa Lakin Lā Ya`lamūna

Translation:
Yusuf Ali : When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe" they say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" Nay, of a surety they are the fools, buy they do not know.

Dr. Mohsin : And when it is said to them (hypocrites): "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad Peace be upon him , Al-Ansâr and Al-Muhajirûn) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.

Tafsir al-Jalalayn:
When it is said to them, ‘Believe as the people believe’, that is, as the Companions of the Prophet (s), They say, ‘Shall we believe as fools believe?’, that is, as the ignorant do? No we do not follow their way. The exalted One refutes them, saying: Truly, they are the foolish ones, but they know, this, not.

Tafsir ibn Kathir:
(13. And when it is said to them: Believe as the people believe,'' They say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed'' Verily, they are the fools, but they do not know.)

Allah said that if the hypocrites are told,

﴿ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ النَّاسُ﴾

("Believe as the people believe,''), meaning, `Believe just as the believers believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, Resurrection after death, Paradise and Hellfire, etc. And obey Allah and His Messenger by heeding the commandments and avoiding the prohibitions.' Yet the hypocrites answer by saying,

﴿قَالُواْ أَنُؤْمِنُ كَمَآ آمَنَ السُّفَهَآءُ﴾

("Shall we believe as the fools have believed'') they meant (may Allah curse the hypocrites) the Companions of the Messenger of Allah . This is the same Tafsir given by Abu Al-`Aliyah and As-Suddi in his Tafsir, with a chain of narration to Ibn `Abbas, Ibn Mas`ud and other Companions. This is also the Tafsir of Ar-Rabi` bin Anas and `Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam. The hypocrites said, "Us and them having the same status, following the same path, while they are fools!'' `The fool' is the ignorant, simple-minded person who has little knowledge in areas of benefit and harm. This is why, according to the majority of the scholars, Allah used the term foolish to include children, when He said,

﴿وَلاَ تُؤْتُواْ السُّفَهَآءَ أَمْوَلَكُمُ الَّتِى جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ قِيَـماً﴾

(And do not give your property, which Allah has made a means of support for you, to the foolish) (4:5).

Allah answered the hypocrites in all of these instances. For instance, Allah said here,

﴿أَلاَ إِنَّهُمْ هُمُ السُّفَهَآءُ﴾

(Verily, they are the fools). Allah thus affirmed that the hypocrites are indeed the fools, yet,

﴿وَلَـكِن لاَّ يَعْلَمُونَ﴾

(But they know not). Since they are so thoroughly ignorant, the hypocrites are unaware of their degree of deviation and ignorance, and such situation is more dangerous, a severer case of blindness, and further from the truth than one who is aware.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum.

JazakAllah Khair for sharing everyday akhi. Alhamdulilah. Will it be better to form just one thread?

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam

I can do that, but I remember one of the sister mods suggesting separate threads in case there was discussion?

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum.

Yep If am not wrong it was sister Janaan. I have no problem. You are the man, you got to decide :D

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:
When did a man ever decide anything that a woman has already given her opinion on, lol?

I choose to continue the way it was being done by the brother. I like that if someone in future is going through the section, they will find an ayah of Qur'an posted on almost every page of the archive. In sha Allah.

:jazaak:

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:wasalam:
When did a man ever decide anything that a woman has already given her opinion on, lol?
My mind just halted after reading that. i couldn't think of a come back. I wish I could give you double-triple ratings at a time :D The thought is Alhamdulilah :)

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
My mind just halted after reading that. i couldn't think of a come back. I wish I could give you double-triple ratings at a time :D The thought is Alhamdulilah :)
It's not about ratings. Not always :p
Love you for the sake of Allah, brother

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
May the one you love me for love you immensely akhi, sooo much that he hides all your sins on the J-Day and grant you jannah with lighting speed. :) And Love you doubly for the sake of Allah.

Mazhara

• Moreover, when it was said to them-Muna'fi'qeen: "You people incline to accept likewise as other people have heartily accepted";
  • they replied: "Should we accept likewise as the Fools have accepted?"
No, the fact of the matter is that they themselves are trulythe Fools [
1.gif
]. However, they know not-intend to know it [under duality of thought to retain association with Non-believing Jews]. [2:13]

In this sentence there are three types of people, one who asked, others who were asked and the third who were to be emulated whom they described as fools on their back, those men and women of Nisa'ra and Jews who abandoned their long held concept of East and West as Qibla-ta and returned accepting Kaa'ba as universal Qibla-ta. Read with 2:142. This was a plain litmus test of their claim of belief.
[it refers to those persons who were definitely recognized both by speakers and listeners at that point in time]

Translation after grammatical parsing of the sentences