Serious When broken a Promise- How to Repent?

SilverTG

We hear and we Obey.
السلام عليكم,
AsatghfariAllah; I promised my Quran teacher that I'd memorize page 119 of surat Al-Ma'idah Saturday then go back to page 118 Sunday and memorize it like the back of my hand (I really don't like promising but I did so then), I remembered to do so the whole day, but in the end I got distracted and didn't memorize page 119.

Sunday I'm just remembering that I didn't do what I promised to do, I recall the Hadith where the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم
describes a hypocrite "...Whenever he speaks he lies, whenever he promises he breaks his promise.." I don't want to be a hypocrite,

Please how to repent??

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

Ma sha Allah may Allah increase you in knowledge,

You did not make a promise to Allah, so it is not something you have expiation to do. However, you can ask forgiveness from Allah, and just be truthful to your teacher and that you are sorry. Also, you mentioned that you had become distracted, so khayr in sha Allah.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

It is not a lie or not keeping of given promise dear sister if we do something unintentionaly. If you did not fullfilled your promise of memoraising page of Quran because you forgot or was distracted, Alhamdulillah you should not worry that you broken your promise.

And Allah knows the best.

SilverTG

We hear and we Obey.
wa alaykum salam

Ma sha Allah may Allah increase you in knowledge,

You did not make a promise to Allah, so it is not something you have expiation to do. However, you can ask forgiveness from Allah, and just be truthful to your teacher and that you are sorry. Also, you mentioned that you had become distracted, so khayr in sha Allah.

It is not a lie or not keeping of given promise dear sister if we do something unintentionaly. If you did not fullfilled your promise of memoraising page of Quran because you forgot or was distracted, Alhamdulillah you should not worry that you broken your promise.

And Allah knows the best.

جزاكما الله خيرا
I feel a lot better now and I did so, Alhamdulilaah :)