Question: Are women allowed to slaughter?

Seeking Peace

Assalam-o-Alaikum Wr Wb...

are women allowed to slaughter???i mean the actual act of slaughtering???is it allowed???
please respond with authentic references..

JazakAllah-o-Khair..

W'S..

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Yes they are.

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars of Islam are agreed that it is permissible to eat the meat of an animal slaughtered by a woman, because of the general terms used in the wording of the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Among the evidence that it is permissible are the following:

1. The aayah in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Forbidden for you (for food) are: al-maytatah (dead animals – cattle-beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and the meat of that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah, or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allaah’s Name has mot been mentioned while slaughtering, and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns – and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal – unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death)…”[al-Maa’idah 5:3]. The evidence in this aayah is the phrase where Allaah has permitted us to eat of any animal that we are able to slaughter before it dies; this is general in application, and does not specify as to whether the person who manages to do this is a man or a woman – so it could be either.
    • Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported in his Saheehfrom ‘Ubayd-Allaah from Naafi’, that he (Naafi’) heard Ibn Ka’b ibn Maalik narrating from his father that they used to have sheep which they allowed to graze on the mountain of Sala’ in Madeenah: one of the slave-women noticed that one of the sheep was dying, so she broke a stone and slaughtered it. He said: “Do not eat it until I ask the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or I send someone to ask him. So he asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or sent someone else to ask, and he told him to eat it. ‘Ubay-Allaah said: “I liked the fact that she was a slave-woman and she managed to slaughter it.”
Commenting on this hadeeth, Ibn Hijr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This shows that it is permitted to eat meat slaughtered by a woman, whether she is free or a slave, old or young, Muslim or of the People of the Book (i.e., Jewish or Christian), in a state of purity or otherwise, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told them to eat the meat she had slaughtered and did not ask for further details.”

This hadeeth also answers the question about whether any of theSahaabiyaat (female Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) slaughtered animals.

The discussion above also makes it clear that a woman may slaughter animals, because of the general terms used in the texts, and there is no difference in this regard between meat slaughtered as a sacrifice or meat slaughtered for regular food.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: “It is permitted to eat from an animal which a man or a woman slaughters Islamically before it dies, or from meat slaughtered by a woman, even if she is menstruating, because her menstruation is not in her hand. It is permissible to eat meat from an animal which a woman slaughters Islamically before it dies, by the consensus of the Muslims.” (Al-Fataawa, 35/234).

Source: IslamQA

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalam-o-Alaikum Wr Wb...

are women allowed to slaughter???i mean the actual act of slaughtering???is it allowed???
please respond with authentic references..

JazakAllah-o-Khair..

W'S..

Wa 'alaykum salaam,

I know women who work alongside males in butchers, deal with meat and it's processes everyday, do it for a living, but slaughtering, I will have to add to the stereotype, I couldn't do it if my life depended on it, and can only wonder about those that do.

Would you do it sis?

Seeking Peace

i've never seen women working in butcher shops and neither did i know if a woman was allowed to slaughter...actually i came across a sister who Ma Shaa Allah did Qurbani this Eid that is she slaughtered an animal...that really amazed me...and to be very honest when i read brother Mabsoot's post i was really happy...

i would love to In Shaa Allah...primarily because its Sunnah and secondly it really made me feel excited...being the youngest and only sister of 4 brothers, i've got loads of habits incorporated in me by my brothers lolxxx...on every Baqar Eid i witness the qurbani ritual and if by chance i miss i get really angry over myself for missing it...so yes In Shaa Allah!!!

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
You're brave, go you! Me on the other hand, I have had this thing since I was a girl, that seeing a slit animal throat would put me off from eating that specific animal. So one particular evening, my parents decided that my pet chickens were going to be dinner, lunch and the next dinner, so they slaughtered them right before my four year old eyes, and I didn't eat a single morsel of any of those chicken meals. I'm not sure that has stayed with me, because I've never had pet chicken dinner again, but besides that, I've never seen anything being slaughtered like that first hand. I've stood a metre away, with my back to it, have seen guts and blood and bones, heard the last groans of the animal, have dealt with warm, fresh meat, washed tripe (yuk!), seen the little ones stabbing a stick into some intestines and its bursting flavour, but there is something still about seeing that knife slit the throat and then me eating that meat ... Sounds absurd I know.

Seeking Peace

honestly sister its in my genes...my maternal grandmother (nani) and my Mum were very brave women...my aunties from paternal side (phophos) were the picture perfect ideal women stuff although i don't know about paternal grandmother (daadi) as she passed away ages before i was born...i've taken a strong impact from my Mum Ma Shaa Allah...and then being brought up in an all boys environment its not unusual for me Subhaan Allah...

lolxxx i always loved chickens when i was a lil child...Subhaan Allah cute lil yellow two legged beings running around the house lolxxx they are so soft...i miss those days...i had a horrible accident...the angry possessive mother of chickens lolxxx attacked me...scratched my face...i remember my Mum literally freaked out...after attending to me, she sent me inside, picked up a broom and spanked it...after that day that poor chicken would shy away the moment i stepped in to that area lolxxx Astaghfirullah...i remember how angry my Mum was...she would again and again hug me, console me and curse the hen lolxxx after that incident i think Mum refused to have any kind of pets as we had quite a few pets in our house Subhaan Allah...now that i recall its such a hilarious incident lolxxx Astaghfirullah..

sister childhood experiences matter a lot...according to psychological researches, a child's personality is shaped and developed fully by the age of six...the way parents and circumstances shape a child, that child will go about the whole life on those set standards...and especially the experiences that involve fear, hurt or trauma...also fact that those were your pet chickens so added effect...in childhood even a small incident would seem like a horrible experience...so may be yes that could be a reason...

its not absurd sister...its very normal...i know people who hate the very mentioning of Eid-ul-Azha because they can't stand all that blood, meat meat meat meat and meat...at times its a natural trait, they can't help it...oh but as far as washing tripe is concerned; honestly i can not...i can't bring myself to it...(yukhhhh lolxxx)...but as far eating is concerned its Subhaan Allah tastyyyy...by the way which animal you prefer???my vote goes for lamb...slaughtering a lamb, the excitement is totally another world's feeling Subhaan Allah...i wish we could have a camel slaughtered...in our area mostly goats are slaughtered...never seen a camel being slaughtered so its kind of unexplored feeling of Qurbani...

the festivity of Eid-ul-Azha has no match Subhaan Allah...its such a joyous event...am at loss of words Subhaan Allah...