The Documentary I filmed in Syria

Abdul-Halim265

This is the documentary I filmed in the Syrian province of Idlib, with the FSA there. Please watch and share it to raise some awareness! Thanks.

Last edited:

HirraJaved

Nıcee. I just cant stop thınkıng why would Assad do thıs to hıs people? I lıked at the end of the vıdeo how you said ıf anyone deserved freedom ıt would be them. In sha Allah Al sham wıll be free and have a leader that actually cares about them. But ı thınk that wıll only happen once Mahdı comes.

Abdul-Halim265

Nıcee. I just cant stop thınkıng why would Assad do thıs to hıs people? I lıked at the end of the vıdeo how you said ıf anyone deserved freedom ıt would be them. In sha Allah Al sham wıll be free and have a leader that actually cares about them. But ı thınk that wıll only happen once Mahdı comes.

Thank you. He does it because power has utterly corrupted him and destroyed his humanity. The Syrian people are fighting half the world with next-to-no help, and winning. They are lions. Inshallah they will be free soon!

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Producing a thirty minute documentary needs time, effort, and of course, a lot of shooting. Not to mention the countless hours of pre and post production and planning. I got through half of it with many distractions, hoping to re-watch it when I get the thirty minutes to myself - InshaAllah.

A commendable product, well worth its minutes. May success be a part of your every endeavour.

Abdul-Halim265

Producing a thirty minute documentary needs time, effort, and of course, a lot of shooting. Not to mention the countless hours of pre and post production and planning. I got through half of it with many distractions, hoping to re-watch it when I get the thirty minutes to myself - InshaAllah.

A commendable product, well worth its minutes. May success be a part of your every endeavour.

Shukran jaziilan akhi, the editing was indeed the most tiresome moment. Pre-production, I had to get a new camera, some more equipment (rucksack, etc), then do all the filming (some of which was done while I got sick in Syria), then post-production I had to work out what to include and what to cut out, how long I would like it to be, how to edit the audio at some moments, etc. It was a lot of hard work, but labbayk ya habibi Souria. ;)

Oh, and I am now a Muslim, al-hamdulillah!

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
Ma Sha Allah! I second sister Mahzala. Your efforts into producing this documentary are commendable! May Allah SWT reward you for what you're doing, and may He SWT protect everyone from evil of every sort!

Abdul-Halim265

Ma Sha Allah! I second sister Mahzala. Your efforts into producing this documentary are commendable! May Allah SWT reward you for what you're doing, and may He SWT protect everyone from evil of every sort!
Thank you sister, May Allah SWT protect, guide, and help you always! I just try to be human and to help EVERYONE regardless of race or identity. I may be a Muslim, but my views in that regard haven't changed at all. We're all one humanity. :)

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
Thank you sister, May Allah SWT protect, guide, and help you always! I just try to be human and to help EVERYONE regardless of race or identity. I may be a Muslim, but my views in that regard haven't changed at all. We're all one humanity. :)
True that!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

Watched half of it, will see the rest later at home. It is Great ma sha Allah, : ) When I was in Palestine, I shot a lot of footage for my own documentary, but never got around to putting it together. Used a Canon HD camcorder with a home-made steadycam equipment. I am interested in doing this, can you give a list of equipment you used, and software for video editing?

If I was to scrutinise, I would say the narrative audio could be recorded at a better quality. The subtitles also could be done differently. - Those points don't really take anything away from the message of the documentary though. In sha Allah it further increases awareness of the plight of our Syrian brothers and sisters.

Abdul-Halim265

Assalamu alaykum

Watched half of it, will see the rest later at home. It is Great ma sha Allah, : ) When I was in Palestine, I shot a lot of footage for my own documentary, but never got around to putting it together. Used a Canon HD camcorder with a home-made steadycam equipment. I am interested in doing this, can you give a list of equipment you used, and software for video editing?

If I was to scrutinise, I would say the narrative audio could be recorded at a better quality. The subtitles also could be done differently. - Those points don't really take anything away from the message of the documentary though. In sha Allah it further increases awareness of the plight of our Syrian brothers and sisters.

Shukran jaziilan! I used a Sony HD AVCHD camcorder, with 32x enhanced zoom, 29.8mm wide angle, steady-shot, and a 2.9 wide LCD panel. It works very well, for the modest price of £200. In regard to the audio, I recorded it using a microphone-recorder device for the Samsung Galaxy s3. The quality is rather good, but the volume often requires adjustment. But the best bonus is that you don't get any static in the background, if you know what I mean.

For putting it together and editing it, I used Vegas Pro 11, which is expensive, but which you can download for free if you know the right means. I can give you more details if you like.

TXMuslimah

you did such a wonderful job capturing the spirit of the Syrian people in that 30 minute segment, that if I hadn't already converted I would have been saying the shahada before the credits rolled! mashAllah great job.

I have met a number of refugee families here that lost everything and I have always been amazed at their humble spirit. may Allah bless you in your efforts to be a voice for those in need. amen.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Shukran jaziilan akhi, the editing was indeed the most tiresome moment. Pre-production, I had to get a new camera, some more equipment (rucksack, etc), then do all the filming (some of which was done while I got sick in Syria), then post-production I had to work out what to include and what to cut out, how long I would like it to be, how to edit the audio at some moments, etc. It was a lot of hard work, but labbayk ya habibi Souria. ;)

I don't doubt that the process was tiring. Producing such documentaries remains an unfulfilled dream for me, so I watched this with that baggage onboard. I do, genuinely, wish you success for your projects yet to come, and will be among the keen audiences you have gathered, so be sure to share.

And to that, I can't say much, for the joy of being a true 'abdullah cannot be told, but only felt. I hope you find the means to increase your spirit and maintain the fervour. May He protect you from any misery, and give you the strength to bear the burdens yet to come.

Oh, and I too am interested in any means to getting video editing software. That'd be so appreciated.

Abdul-Halim265

you did such a wonderful job capturing the spirit of the Syrian people in that 30 minute segment, that if I hadn't already converted I would have been saying the shahada before the credits rolled! mashAllah great job.

I have met a number of refugee families here that lost everything and I have always been amazed at their humble spirit. may Allah bless you in your efforts to be a voice for those in need. amen.

Amen! My conversion was pushed on the agenda due to my mission in Syria. it opened my eyes a lot, and moved me throughout. I felt like what I was doing was certainly driven by a higher power, al-Hamdulillah. Thank you for your help and for your appreciative words; I, along with millions of others, appreciate them. I'm going back in 2014; inshallah I can be of more use to the revolution.

Abdul-Halim265

I don't doubt that the process was tiring. Producing such documentaries remains an unfulfilled dream for me, so I watched this with that baggage onboard. I do, genuinely, wish you success for your projects yet to come, and will be among the keen audiences you have gathered, so be sure to share.

And to that, I can't say much, for the joy of being a true 'abdullah cannot be told, but only felt. I hope you find the means to increase your spirit and maintain the fervour. May He protect you from any misery, and give you the strength to bear the burdens yet to come.

Oh, and I too am interested in any means to getting video editing software. That'd be so appreciated.

Yes, it was tiring, yet I was determine to continue filming. I was ill with gastroenteritis, but carried on tr

They were for me too, until I found my resolve and determination, al-Hamdulillah. :) Persevere, don't heed what skeptics tell you, and you can go far! My own family didn't want me to go, they got frequent visits from plain-clothes guys when I did, and I was questioned for about 20 minutes when I came back. People are so suspicious of anyone with good intentions these days...

But yes, I will continue to share my work widely with anyone who will listen. Thank you, not just for your support, but for your kind words and open minds. Millions appreciate them, and will not forget who helped them and who abandoned them when their need was great.

Abdul-Halim265

Shukran sister; if I've accomplished that, then my job has been done well!Visiting Syria was part of my inspiration to revert. Experiences like that really open your eyes. I met people there who had lost so much too, it was awful. Yet they always retained that spirit, were generous, and never gave up. Allah is truly with them. Thank you for your words, and may they achieve freedom and justice soon! Amen.