is wishing birthdays allowed( need answer urgently)

friend263

Assalamualaikum dear all sisters and brother s in islam i need an urgent answer on wishing happy birthday to someone is it allowed in islam i just wanted to know theruling on wishing someone and that someone is muslim??? Can i wish someone or it is haraam??

Ummah 99

Walaikum Assalam
bism01.jpg

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Principally, birthdays are not something that should be celebrated or to be happy about. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life?

Before understanding the legal ruling with regards to birthday celebrations, it is worth remembering here that imitation of the unbelievers (Kuffar) is something that Islam strictly disapproves of.

In a Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud (Allah have Mercy on him) and others, The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

�Whosoever imitates a nation is amongst them�. (Sunan Abu Dawud,)

It should be remembered here that not everything what the non-Muslims wear and do, is Haram and unlawful. Imitation, which is prohibited, is effected in one of the following two ways:

a) One does something with the intention of imitating the Kuffar, meaning one does so because one wants to be like a particular non-believer or non-believers.

b) Doing something that is unique and exclusive to the non-believers or it is part of their faith. This will also be considered imitation, thus Haram (unlawful). (See the Fatwa of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani).

In light of the above, there are few situations with regards to the Shariah (legal) ruling on celebrating birthdays:

1)If it is celebrated by imitating the Kuffar in that all or some of the customs that are unique with the Kuffar are adopted, or acts that are unlawful in Shariah are committed, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. The lighting of candles on a cake that number the years of one�s life and then blowing on them, playing of music, singing, extravagant and lavish spending, showing off, etc are all unlawful and forbidden practices. Thus, if birthdays are celebrated by adopting the above-mentioned customs, it will not be permissible.

2)If the above-mentioned evils are avoided, then there are two possibilities:

a) If one celebrates birthdays with the intention of imitating the Kuffar meaning one does so because one wants to be like the Kuffar, then, as stated previously, it will be considered imitating the Kuffar, thus unlawful.

b) If there is no intention of imitating the Kuffar (and also the above mentioned evils are avoided) then the ruling on celebrating birthdays will depend on whether it originated from the religious customs of the non-Muslims and it is part of their faith. (It can not be considered to be unique with the Kuffar, for celebrating birthdays has become a widespread phenomenon that is carried out in many different parts of the world). I am personally unaware of whether celebrating birthdays has a connection with the Christian faith or other wise, thus I am unable to give a decisive ruling.

However, I have mentioned the criterion of which the ruling will be based. If the origins of birthday celebrations are connected to a particular faith, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. If, however, it has no connections with the faith of the non-Muslims, then (and Allah knows best) it seems that it would be permissible to celebrate it (provided the evils mentioned above are avoided).

3)If one thanks Allah and shows gratitude for being blessed with one more year of his life, thus expresses happiness and joy, then there is nothing wrong with that. (See: al-Fatawa al-Rahimiyya (urdu), 6/320).

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I am sure the others are quite busy! :p

And to add to that, dear sister @friend263, there is an abundance of questions and answers here, a quick use of the search bar will save hours of waiting. Give it a go. All in good intent :)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Principally, birthdays are not something that should be celebrated or to be happy about. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life.

That is a matter of perspective, it could be argued that people are happy, because they were blessed with the previous years of life, and thus are celebrating their life.

Whilst I don't celebrate my own birthday, if I meet someone who is celebrating their birthday and it is mentioned, then I do say something good like "May Allah bless you with more years" etc The other option is being all haughty and coming across as "haram police", which is a bad idea if you want to encourage person towards Islam.

Some people make special days to mark the death of a person, each year they will meet up, say special prayers etc, so in this light perhaps it is easier to see why birthdays for the living can be an innovation - and have a religious aspect to it.

Found this on IslamQA:

What is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

friend263

Haw te="Mahzala, post: 603858, member: 16756"]And to add to that, dear sister @friend263, there is an abundance of questions and answers here, a quick use of the search bar will save hours of waiting. Give it a go. All in good intent :)[/quote]
Have tried it but cant find answer

friend263

Everywhere they are talking about celebration of the birth day but i wanted to know that if wishing a person is haraam or not??

Ummah 99

Everywhere they are talking about celebration of the birth day but i wanted to know that if wishing a person is haraam or not??
If your intentions are pure then it is fine, a person is judged by his or her intentions but one thing, recall the Hadith where it says, anything which can lead to haram is haram as well, wishing people can make people crave for celebrating his/her own birthday... Did you get the point?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Y

e No i am not happy becayse i cant find the ecxact answer of my qusetion

Your question is that you wonder about wishing someone on their birthday? Unless you rectify your intention behind the 'wishing', perhaps alter its wording, as we Muslims do, wishing someone otherwise, or on celebrating, the exact answer would be no. And so, if you further inspect those responses, the answer you are looking for is actually there.

Edit: Apologies for the repetition, my response came simultaneously with the above.

Ummah 99

Okay, sis the thing which my Islamic friends does that they wish me on my birthday but they never say the word "birthday", since it is a bidhah... I hope you are satisfied now? Any more Islamic doubts you are always welcome to ask me! :)

Ummah 99

Okay, sis the thing which my Islamic friends does that they wish me on my birthday but they never say the word "birthday", since it is a bidhah... I hope you are satisfied now? Any more Islamic doubts you are always welcome to ask me! :)

Precious Star

Also, Birthdays are not religious practices, hence they are not "innovations in religion", so they can't be bidah anymore than shopping in a grocery store is bidah.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
I feel a little special on my birthday and enjoy spending time with my family on it- I think most people feel like this so I also am extra nice to people on their birthdays too. Who can say no to a nice cake? I don't wish for any special attention, gifts, or get together but sometimes those around me wish to do these things even though I tell them not to. I will say something like "It was a good thing you were born" rather than "happy birthday" to practicing brothers and sisters though. But non-Muslims and non-practicing Muslims I will say happy birthday since as Brother Mabsoot said you may turn them further away from Islam, this is not something you mention as it is doubtful to celebrate such days. Until someone says it is part of the religion though, it cannot be a bidah like Precious Star says... look up the definition of Bidah.

Some scholars will say it is haram or frowned upon, others say it is fine to celebrate your birthday.

I fear Allah SWT very much, but wishing someone a happy birthday on their special day hardly something I worry about. There are many holidays in Muslim countries around past Muslim conquests, battles, etc. I don't hear any Sheikhs complaining about those...

kiana

I think you'll stand out more if you give a dua'a than just plainly saying "Happy Birthday" just as some brothers here stated. I usually tell friends "today is a special point in time for you. may Allah continue to bless you with more years filled with joy, prosperity and health"

things along those lines will surely make your wishes stand out more than the other 100 "happy bdays" your gets from everyone else. On top of that, you get a good deeds for bringing remembrance of Allah, and praying good things for someone else.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

I think the matter is easier than what we think: we don't celebrate the Prophet's (sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam) birthday and neither Christmas cause of the birth of Jesus ('alayhi salam) so why should we celebrate our own birthday or wish happy birthday? At same time, as brother Mabsoot said, we shouldn't become the 'haram police' and always have the best manners even if we meet a Muslim celebrating 'any' birthday!

Bid'ah is innovation in religion not in the dunya

jazakhum Allahu khayran and may Allah guide us all!!

friend263

Jazakum allahu khait and jazakun allahu khair for every bodies response dear brothers and sisters so i got it i mean correct me if im wrong that instead of just saying happy birth day which is wrong i can always say supplications to the other person and in this way remember allah subhanawatala s grace by bringing that person to the earth.. correct? I just love this site and everybody here for the sake of allah