Forbidden times of prayer

Turning Islamic

Hi I know there are two periods of forbidden time were one should not pray. One is after Fajr and the other after Asr. I think the first one is after sunrise one should not pray until zuhr. The second one is after asr until maghrib but how long before maghrib can you pray asr. Also someone said you can't pray midday why is this?

Izache Corzo

Hi I know there are two periods of forbidden time were one should not pray. One is after Fajr and the other after Asr. I think the first one is after sunrise one should not pray until zuhr. The second one is after asr until maghrib but how long before maghrib can you pray asr. Also someone said you can't pray midday why is this?

Assalamu’alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh:

Praise be to Allaah.

There are times when it is forbidden to pray. They are as follows:

From dawn until sunrise

From sunrise until the sun has risen to the height of a spear above the horizon; nowadays this is regarded as equivalent to twelve minutes after sunrise, but to be on the safe side one should make it a quarter of an hour.

When the sun is overhead at noon, until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until sunset

When the sun starts to set until it is completely set

These times may be summed up more briefly as follows:

From dawn until the sun has risen to the height of a spear

When it is directly overhead at noon until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set completely.

When we say from dawn, we mean that one should not offer voluntary prayers after the adhaan of Fajr except the Sunnah of Fajr. This is the view of the Hanbalis. The Shaafa’is are of the view that the prohibition has to do with Fajr prayer itself, so it is not forbidden to offer voluntary prayers between the adhaan and iqaamah, rather it is forbidden to offer voluntary prayers after offering the obligatory prayer of Fajr.

This is the more correct view, but one should not offer any voluntary prayer after dawn apart from the two Sunnah rak’ahs of Fajr, because the Prophet(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) only prayed two brief rak’ahs after dawn had broken.

See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/160.

This is indicated by the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (547) and Muslim (1367) from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: Some trustworthy men bore witness in my presence, the most trustworthy of whom in my view was ‘Umar, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying after Fajr until the sun had risen and after ‘Asr until the sun had set.”

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Al-Bukhaari (551) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no prayer after Fajr until the sun has risen fully, and no prayer after ‘Asr until the sun has set.”

Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://islamqa.info/en/48998

Izache Corzo

...also I found...

Forbidden Times for Nafl Prayer

(i) Abu Saeed AlKhudree reported Allah's Messenger (pbuh) as saying, No Salat is to be said after the Fajr prayer until the sun rises, or after the Asr Prayer until the sun sets. (Bukhair and Muslim)

Only Nafl prayer is forbidden at these times but a missed Fard prayer can be offered. Most of the Ulama of the Muslim Ummah allowed the offering of missed Fard prayer after Fajr and Asr because of the following Hadith:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said, Who has forgotten the prayer he should pray it whenever he remembers it. (Bukhari and Muslim)

(ii) A Nafl prayer cannot be offered once the Iqamat for Fard prayer has been said. Abu Hurairah narrated that Allah's Messenger (pbuh) said, When the Iqamat has been said, then, there is no Salat valid (Nafl or Sunnat ) except the Fard prayer for which the Iqamat was said. (Ahmad and Muslim)

It is seen in practice that many people continue with the Sunnat prayer even though the Iqamat has been said for the Fard prayer especially in the Fajr prayer. The feel that the 2 Raakat Sunnat of Fajr can only be offered before the Fard. This practice is against congregation philosophy, discipline of Jamaat, and a clear violation of Hadith. They should offer 2 Rakaat Sunnat of Fajr immediately after the Fard or after sunrise.

http://icnl.com/html/salat/howprayers.htm

Hope this helps you out.

Izache Corzo

Okay, I finally found it. As to the other part of your question:

Question
Could you please explain the following Hadeeth, what does horn of Satan mean and its implications? Messenger of Allah
icon--1.gif
said, "The sun rises and with it is a horn of Shaytan and when the sun gets higher the horn leaves it. Then when the sun reaches the meridian the horn joins it and when the sun declines the horn leaves it, and when the sun has nearly set it joins it again."

Answer
All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

The narration in the question is reported by An-Nasaa'ee
icon--6.gif
and it is authentic. Some interpreters of the narration differed regarding the meaning of 'the horn of Satan' mentioned. Some of them are of the view that the meaning is exactly as in the wording, that the Sun rises on the horn of Satan or between two horns of Satan. They said that this can not be questioned as this is a matter of the unseen, and a person has to believe in it as it is stated. This is what is evident from the narration. However, other interpreters are of the view that its meaning is not according to its wording, but the meaning of the horn is a nations, that's to say a nation who worships the sun and prostrates to it. So the Prophet
icon--1.gif
disliked imitating them and liked being different from them. It is also said that it means that Satan is with the Sun (at those times). There are other interpretations which were reported in this regard as well.

Anyway, the general meaning is that it is forbidden to perform supererogatory prayers during these times, i.e. when the Sun rises, when it sets, and when it is at its meridian. The reason is that at these times Satan is with it but he departs from it at other times. Therefore it is permissible to perform supererogatory prayers at other times.

Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=88557

Izache Corzo

Sahih Muslim Book 004, Hadith Number 1275.
Sahih Muslim Book 04. Prayer

Bismillah-Hir-Rahman-Nir-Raheem

'Abdullah b. 'Amr reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: The time of the noon prayer is when the sun passes the meridian and a man's shadow is the same (length) as his height, (and it lasts) as long as the time for the afternoon prayer has not come; the time for the afternoon prayer is as long as the sun has not become pale; the time of the evening prayer is as long as the twilight has not ended; the time of the night prayer is up to the middle of the average night and the time of the morning prayer is from the appearance of dawn, as long as the sun has not risen; but when the sun rises, refrain from prayer for it rises between the horns of the devil.

http://www.hadithcollection.com/sah...sahih-muslim-book-004-hadith-number-1275.html

friend263

Is this applicable for the reading of quran also?? And what about the nafl salah of journey i mean woh n a person is going on a journey at fajar can he pray the fajr salah and then the 2 nafl for the safar??

Izache Corzo

As far as reading the Quran at these times:

Forbidden times for reading Quran

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol,no person,no grave, no prophet,no imam,no dai,nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

The Messenger of Allah (saws) forbade the believers to offer prayers or go into prostration (sajdah) at the time of the rising of the sun,and when the sun is at its zenith,and when the sun is actually setting. But there is absolutely no restriction in reciting the Glorious Quran during these times.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me.Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your Brother in Islam,

Burhan

http://www.islamhelpline.com/node/347

Izache Corzo

Is this applicable for the reading of quran also?? And what about the nafl salah of journey i mean woh n a person is going on a journey at fajar can he pray the fajr salah and then the 2 nafl for the safar??

The Prayer Of A Travelling Person (Musafir)
Islam is a religion full of mercy and because of the hardships and inconveniences which a person usually undergoes during travels, Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) has made certain concessions to the traveler. One of these concessions is that traveler may shorten some of the obligatory prayers. Allah says in the Holy Qur'an: “When ye travel through the earth there is no blame on you if ye shorten your prayers”(Qur'an 4:101).

Because of this grant from Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala), it is an established practice that a traveling Muslim may shorten the four (4) rakaats obligatory prayers into two rakaats only. Thus, the Dhuhr, Asr and lsha prayers may each be shortened into two rakaats. However, the Maghrib and the Fajr prayers cannot be shortened and are to be performed in full.

It is also an established practice that the traveler may combine some of the obligatory prayers. Thus, the Dhuhr prayer may be delayed until the time of the Asr prayer when both will be performed; or, the Asr prayer may be brought forward to the time of the Dhuhr prayer when both will be performed. Likewise, the Isha prayer may be brought forward to the time of Maghrib prayer; or, the Maghrib prayer may be delayed until the time of Isha prayer. The Fajr prayer can neither be brought forward or delayed and has to be performed at its prescribed time.

Characteristics of combining the prayers
  1. Each prayer will be performed separately.
  2. Only one Prayer Call (ADHAN) shall be made for both prayers but two Second Calls (IQAMAHS) shall be required (i.e. one Second Call (Iqamah) shall be made separately for each prayer).
If we may give an example, assuming that a traveler wishes to combine Dhuhr and Asr prayers by bringing the Asr prayer forward to the time of the Dhuhr prayer, the person would proceed as follows:
  1. The person would first come up with the Call for prayer "Adhaan" intending it for both the two prayers.
  2. The person would then come up with the second call "Iqamah" for the Dhuhr prayer.
  3. The person would then perform the Dhuhr prayer shortening it to two rakaats only.
  4. After completing the Dhuhr prayer, the person stands up and makes another second call "Iqamah" for the Asr prayer.
  5. The person would then perform the Asr prayer also shortened to two rakaats only.

Note: A traveler may lead the prayer as an "IMAM" of the residents of the place he is visiting. And in such a case, he (being an Imam), may perform only two rakaats for the Dhuhr or Asr, and/or Isha prayers while, the residents he is leading, shall upon his completion continue to complete the remaining two rakaats of the respective prayers. However, in such cases, it is desirable that the traveler who may act as an Imam first gives notice to the congregation regarding his position and his intention to shorten his prayer so that the congregation continues to complete the prayer.

On the other hand, if the traveler has to pray behind an Imam who is a resident of the place he is visiting, then in such case, the traveler shall pray with the Imam all the four (4) rakaats as usual.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=68&chapter=17

friend263

[quotsorrzo, po: 604183, member: 113213"]Okay my brother. I'm off to do prayers. I hope this info helps you out. :SMILY259:[/quote]
I am sorry dewr sis but u hwvent read my qu?stion but jazakallhi khair for the info my !uestion was not abut combinig th? Prayers while on safar but my question is about the two nafl salah prwyd before going to safar i hwve read somewhere that our beloved messenger said thst a person going kn a journey cannot leave qnytging better fkr his famiky except two rakah of salah im very sorry for not remebering theexcwt excact !ords if the hadidh nor from where i read it but every time one goes to a journey person has to pray two nwfl prayer so can this nafl be prwyd at the time of fajr before or aft?r th? Fard salah of fajr

Turning Islamic

Guys I am grateful for all the replies but I need these things to be explained not just when sun rises sets and meridian. I am going to open a new thread if you could reply on that I would be even more grateful

Izache Corzo

[quotsorrzo, po: 604183, member: 113213"]Okay my brother. I'm off to do prayers. I hope this info helps you out. :SMILY259:
I am sorry dewr sis but u hwvent read my qu?stion but jazakallhi khair for the info my !uestion was not abut combinig th? Prayers while on safar but my question is about the two nafl salah prwyd before going to safar i hwve read somewhere that our beloved messenger said thst a person going kn a journey cannot leave qnytging better fkr his famiky except two rakah of salah im very sorry for not remebering theexcwt excact !ords if the hadidh nor from where i read it but every time one goes to a journey person has to pray two nwfl prayer so can this nafl be prwyd at the time of fajr before or aft?r th? Fard salah of fajr[/quote]

Izache Corzo

I am sorry dewr sis but u hwvent read my qu?stion but jazakallhi khair for the info my !uestion was not abut combinig th? Prayers while on safar but my question is about the two nafl salah prwyd before going to safar i hwve read somewhere that our beloved messenger said thst a person going kn a journey cannot leave qnytging better fkr his famiky except two rakah of salah im very sorry for not remebering theexcwt excact !ords if the hadidh nor from where i read it but every time one goes to a journey person has to pray two nwfl prayer so can this nafl be prwyd at the time of fajr before or aft?r th? Fard salah of fajr
[/quote

Izache Corzo

Sis, please forgive me. :( I am just now noticing my mistake in replying to your question. I tried finding something online as this is new to me (as so many other things,) and I found this:

Salât-us-Safar (Prayer Before and After Journey)
When setting out on a journey, one should perform 2 rak’ât of nafl prayer before leaving home. Also, after returning from the journey, it is sunnah or mustahab to first go to the masjid and offer 2 rak’ât of prayer before going home.
When the Prophet (saw) used to return from a journey, he would first go to the masjid and pray in it 2 rak’ât. [RS-988, agreed upon]

Link here: on the page scroll down
http://ccm-inc.org/oldsite/iqra/articles/prayersm/pm12.htm

Sis, every place I've read about this prayer says nothing as to when to do it, example before or after fajr. :confused-82:
What they do say is that the Prophet (saw) would offer the prayer before leaving home.
So, if you are leaving right after fajr, I would think that you would do it right after the fajr prayer, but I'm not sure about it, because as it states above, concerning nafl prayers after fajr:

Forbidden Times for Nafl Prayer
Abu Saeed AlKhudree reported Allah's Messenger (pbuh) as saying,
No Salat is to be said after the Fajr prayer UNTIL THE SUN RISES, or after the Asr Prayer until the sun sets. (Bukhair and Muslim)

Your sister in Islam,
Izache

Izache Corzo

Guys I am grateful for all the replies but I need these things to be explained not just when sun rises sets and meridian. I am going to open a new thread if you could reply on that I would be even more grateful

Dear Turning Islamic,

Oh okay, I see what you mean. Oh man, when I first started doing prayers that used to drive me crazy.
Midday is 12 noon or 12 midday.
Yes it is always the same.
Wherever you live 12 noon (midday) is always going to be 12 noon (midday).
12 noon (midday) is not going to be the same where I'm at compared to where you're at, because we live in two different places. I hope that makes sense. Example: 11:59 am --->12 noon.

You can pray asr up to 20 minutes before maghrib.

Someone asked the same question:
I want to know that if one Muslim (hanafi) misses a Salatul-Asr Jamat. Then at what shortest time before maghrib prayer he alone can (without jamat) offer Asr Prayer including 4 rakats sunnah.

for complete explanation I got the answer from here:
http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=3369&CATE=98

I like the site I use for prayer times because it tells me when sunrise is (www.islamicfinder.org )
...I see the link you posted is for London Central Mosque, so I went to the one I use and picked UK and it gives me the prayer times for that area. Inside the box just click on London and it'll give you the times for your area. It gives you the sunrise time right after the time for fajr. Click on this link:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/cityPrayerNew.php?country=United_Kingdom

...when you get to the site, you'll see the prayer time box and the different cities, click on your city.

EXAMPLE:

City Fajr Sunrise Dhuhr Asr Maghrib Isha
London 4:59 6:50 11:45 2:09 4:37 6:23

The maghrib prayer is actual sunset time.
Add three minutes according to MoonSighting.com.
For interesting explanation as to why check it out here:
http://www.moonsighting.com/faq_pt.html

there you will see the explanation for the question:

Frequently asked questions on prayer times:
Maghrib
Question M1: Is Maghrib prayer time at sunset or not? What is the definition of sunset in Islam? Is it the time when the solar disc touches the horizon or is the time when the solar disc has completely disappeared below the horizon?

It's the last question on the page. Just scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

your sister in Islam,
Izache

Last edited:

Turning Islamic

Salam thank you for response you have answered all questions but you said midday is 12:00 so can a person pray at 12:01, 12:05 or 12:15 seeing as zuhr adhan is 11:50 approx now once again jazzak allah